Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

1991: A Great Year for Thrash

Go down 
+18
Coram Deo
krail
Temple of Blood
Orion Crystal Ice
Coma
DallasBlack
Troublezone
metalinmyveins
BearOnUnicycle
jettafiend
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
krokus
adrian
T-Roy
Required Fields
Thrasher73
Fat Freddy
ZombieHavoc
22 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
BearOnUnicycle
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
BearOnUnicycle

Number of posts : 1064

1991: A Great Year for Thrash - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 1991: A Great Year for Thrash   1991: A Great Year for Thrash - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 24, 2012 8:19 pm

krokus wrote:
BearOnUnicycle wrote:
Some Soviet steele for you:

The release dates may vary, because it was almost impossible to record anything in this country.

I like that SHAH compilation. I have it on vinyl and the songs were recorded between 85 and 91 and didnt appear on their debut BEWARE (1989) that i love too. de la banda. My fave songs on this compilation are the ones from 1986 because they show a more SPEED METAL sound of the band. For exemple KILLING MACHINE is just amazing same with DAMNED SINNER. From the 1991 songs my fave is AGE OF DARKNESS (a mix between METAL CHURCH, and american thrash metal. You also can find MAD FUTURE from 1987 that was already on their demo from the same year (ESCAPE FROM MIND). The four songs from 1985 are not very good honestly. Like i said before, the best songs are from 1986. Anyway, SHAH is still one of my fave band from Russia together with ARIA, MASTER, FIRST AID, HELLRAISER or KRUGER.

Nothing tops First Aid in this country. I'm not familiar with with our thrash as I generally don't like it as a genre, but Kruiz should be mentioned. Aspid really blew my mind, its like Russian Watchtower.
Back to top Go down
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Number of posts : 4238

PostSubject: Re: 1991: A Great Year for Thrash   1991: A Great Year for Thrash - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 25, 2012 2:14 am

I didnt know about ASPID. I know about the Spanish ASPID only. They also started like a thrash metal band but also with a lot of power metal influences in it. I have two records on vinyl from KRUIZ and i like them. They even came to Spain to play on tv, 3 songs back in the late 80s or early 90s, dont remember.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

PostSubject: Re: 1991: A Great Year for Thrash   1991: A Great Year for Thrash - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 25, 2012 2:30 am

Thrasher73 wrote:
Required Fields wrote:
Another great album from 1991:
1991: A Great Year for Thrash - Page 2 6974

Havent thought of that album in years.Very good indeed

Good to know someone else here likes Assorted Heap. Hopefully both of their albums get reissued one of these days.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

PostSubject: Re: 1991: A Great Year for Thrash   1991: A Great Year for Thrash - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 27, 2012 9:09 am

Damn, I am getting my years messed up apparently. So, instead I say that 90/91 were good years for thrash.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: 1991: A Great Year for Thrash   1991: A Great Year for Thrash - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 27, 2012 7:54 pm

Then some good 1990 thrash:

Anthrax-Persistence Of Time
Death Angel-Act III
Defiance-Void Terra Firma
Deliverance-Weapons Of Our Warfare
Exodus-Impact Is Imminent
Intruder-Escape From Pain (EP)
Kreator-Coma Of Souls
Prong-Beg To Differ
Sabbat-Mourning Has Broken
Suicidal Tendencies-Lights, Camera, Revolution
Testament-Souls Of Black
Vengeance Rising-Once Dead
Xentrix-For Whose Advantage?
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

PostSubject: Re: 1991: A Great Year for Thrash   1991: A Great Year for Thrash - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 28, 2012 8:26 am

DallasBlack wrote:
Then some good 1990 thrash:
Prong-Beg To Differ
Suicidal Tendencies-Lights, Camera, Revolution

Yes!

Also, for 1991, Slaughter House's second album.
Back to top Go down
Coma
Metal student
Metal student
Coma

Number of posts : 128

PostSubject: Re: 1991: A Great Year for Thrash   1991: A Great Year for Thrash - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 28, 2012 5:36 pm

Some decent stuff in 1991, but 1990 is THE year as far as I'm concerned. If I sorted years based on the number of CDs/LPs/tapes I own, 1990 would be the winner without question.

Forbidden - Twisted Into Form
Megadeth - Rust In Peace
Slayer - Seasons in the Abyss
Anthrax - Persistence of Time
Kreator - Coma of Souls
Vio-lence - Oppressing the Masses
Annihilator - Never, Neverland
Suicidal Tendencies - Lights, Camera, Revolution
Xentrix - For Whose Advantage?
Death Angel - Act III
Sadus - Swallowed In Black
Artillery - By Inheritance
Atrophy - Violent By Nature
Death - Spiritual Healing
Defiance - Void Terra Firma
Demolition Hammer - Tortured Existence
Exhorder - Slaughter in the Vatican
Gwar - Scumdogs of the Universe (yes, this is mostly thrash!)
Iced Earth - self-titled (yes, they were a speed/thrash band back then, and yes, this came out in 1990 initially)
Intruder - Escape From Pain (for the title track alone)
Meliah Rage - Solitary Solitude (power/thrash mostly)
Pantera - Cowboys From Hell (see my King Diamond explanation below - most thrash fans of the early 90's will tell you they dug that album)
Prong - Beg To Differ
Razor - Shotgun Justice
Realm - Suiciety
Sacrifice - Soldiers of Misfortune
Sanctuary - Into The Mirror Black (see Meliah Rage, most thrash fans liked them even though they were more progressive than your average thrash band of the era)

and in the more obscure category :

Abomination - self-titled
Acid Drinkers - Are You A Rebel?
Acid Reign - Obnoxious
Despair - Decay of Humanity
Dyoxen - First Among Equals
Headhunter - Parody of Life
Hellbastard - Natural Order (not pure thrash, but thrash fans like it anyway)
Hexenhaus - The Edge of Eternity
Holy Moses - World Chaos
Laughing Dead - Laughing Dead demo
Lawnmower Deth - Oh Crikey! (hard to describe this band as they blend thrash, hardcore, death, etc.)
Obliveon - From This Day Forward
Overthrow - Within Suffering
Slammer - Insanity Addicts
Stone - Colours
Toranaga - God's Gift
Wolf Spider - Kingdom of Paranoia
Deliverance - Weapons of our Warfare

and I personally really like the albums below (even if they're not my favorites by those bands), although die-hard fans of these bands will disagree for one reason or another :

Exodus - Impact is Imminent
Testament - Souls of Black
Celtic Frost - Vanity/Nemesis
Destruction - Cracked Brain
Flotsam and Jetsam - When The Storm Comes Down
King Diamond - The Eye (not a thrash band by any means, but back then, they were lumped in the most extreme metal category along with most thrash bands)
Reverend - World Won't Miss You
Sacred Reich - The American Way
Sodom - Better Off Dead
Tankard - The Meaning of Life

I could also have named quite a few others (Protector, Pyracanda, Grinder, Mezzrow, Mass Confusion, Sacrament, Detritus, Sacrosanct, Seventh Angel, Dragon, Tourniquet, Toxic Shock, Mystrez, Tyrannicide, United, Usurper, Vacant Grave, Vengeance Rising, Vulcano, Vulture, Wrath, Cold Steel, Equinox, Messina, etc.) but in my opinion, they're not memorable albums, and quite frankly, I don't listen to them much. However, I still listen to the others regularly, even though they were released 22 years ago.

Honestly, I can't name that many albums for 1991. Of course, the ones below are classics :

Overkill - Horrorscope
Heathen - Victims of Deception
Dark Angel - Time Does Not Heal (my favorite album by them)
Devastation - Idolatry
Iced Earth - Night of the Stormrider (listen to it and tell me it's not thrash)
Laaz Rockit - Nothing$ Sacred (this is indeed a pure thrash album)
Sepultura - Arise
Skyclad - The Wayward Sons of Mother Earth (yes, they were mostly thrash back then)
Wrathchild America - 3D (maybe not classic, but better than the debut IMO)

then some others I listen to once in a while, although in most cases, I can't say the band was at its peak :

Acid Drinkers - Dirty Money, Dirty Tricks
Coroner - Mental Vortex
*Cyclone Temple - I Hate Therefore I Am
*Debustrol - Neuropatolog
Despair - Beyond All Reason
Destroyers - The Miseries of Virtue
Evildead - The Underworld
Forced Entry - As Above, So Below
Grinder - Nothing is Sacred
Hexenhaus - Awakening
Intruder - Psycho Savant
Korzus - Mass Illusion
*Living Sacrifice - self-titled (Slayer rip-off though)
Nuclear Assault - Out of Order
Razor - Open Hostility
Wolf Spider - Hue of Evil
Accuser - Double Talk

(* means it is their debut)

as far as the others, I don't think any of the following are essential : A.R.G., Assorted Heap, Airdash, Amnesia, Arakain, Attomica, The Crucified, D.A.M., Darklin Reach, Dead and Bloated, Death Power, Death Squad, Dementia, Denial, Dragon, Equinox, Executer, Faff-Bey, Fear of God, Funeral Nation, Hellias, Hermetica, Impact, Kryptor, Lunacy, Outrage, Panic, Poltergeist, Prestige, Protector, Ravenous, Salvation, Shah, Slaughter House, Terrahsphere, Torment, Toxin, Transmetal, Vomitory etc. I guess you can say that unless you're an encyclopedic thrash fan or a collector, you're not missing much.

As for Sabbat, Mortal Sin, Slammer, Living Death, Rigor Mortis and Stone, they released albums in 1991, but all those bands either changed style or lost key members, and therefore released inferior, uninspired albums.

That being said, there's no way 1991 was better than 1990 as far as thrash metal is concerned. ;-)
Back to top Go down
http://thethrashzone.byethost32.com/df-trade.html
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: 1991: A Great Year for Thrash   1991: A Great Year for Thrash - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 28, 2012 6:01 pm

BearOnUnicycle wrote:
Aspid really blew my mind, its like Russian Watchtower.

you have my attention
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: 1991: A Great Year for Thrash   1991: A Great Year for Thrash - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 28, 2012 9:48 pm

Orion Crystal Ice wrote:
BearOnUnicycle wrote:
Aspid really blew my mind, its like Russian Watchtower.

you have my attention

You haven't heard them? Awesome playing, but much more aggressive and less solo-y and prog than WATCHTOWER. More like CORONER really.
Back to top Go down
BearOnUnicycle
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
BearOnUnicycle

Number of posts : 1064

PostSubject: Re: 1991: A Great Year for Thrash   1991: A Great Year for Thrash - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 29, 2012 5:22 am

To be honest, I've never heard much Watchtower, so I said that just to get everybody's attention Very Happy The only album of theirs I have is "Demonstrations in Chaos". Never heard Coroner either.
Back to top Go down
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

PostSubject: Re: 1991: A Great Year for Thrash   1991: A Great Year for Thrash - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 29, 2012 5:58 am

Coma wrote:
Some decent stuff in 1991, but 1990 is THE year as far as I'm concerned. If I sorted years based on the number of CDs/LPs/tapes I own, 1990 would be the winner without question.

Forbidden - Twisted Into Form
Megadeth - Rust In Peace
Slayer - Seasons in the Abyss
Anthrax - Persistence of Time
Kreator - Coma of Souls
Vio-lence - Oppressing the Masses
Annihilator - Never, Neverland
Suicidal Tendencies - Lights, Camera, Revolution
Xentrix - For Whose Advantage?
Death Angel - Act III
Sadus - Swallowed In Black
Artillery - By Inheritance
Atrophy - Violent By Nature
Death - Spiritual Healing
Defiance - Void Terra Firma
Demolition Hammer - Tortured Existence
Exhorder - Slaughter in the Vatican
Gwar - Scumdogs of the Universe (yes, this is mostly thrash!)
Iced Earth - self-titled (yes, they were a speed/thrash band back then, and yes, this came out in 1990 initially)
Intruder - Escape From Pain (for the title track alone)
Meliah Rage - Solitary Solitude (power/thrash mostly)
Pantera - Cowboys From Hell (see my King Diamond explanation below - most thrash fans of the early 90's will tell you they dug that album)
Prong - Beg To Differ
Razor - Shotgun Justice
Realm - Suiciety
Sacrifice - Soldiers of Misfortune
Sanctuary - Into The Mirror Black (see Meliah Rage, most thrash fans liked them even though they were more progressive than your average thrash band of the era)

and in the more obscure category :

Abomination - self-titled
Acid Drinkers - Are You A Rebel?
Acid Reign - Obnoxious
Despair - Decay of Humanity
Dyoxen - First Among Equals
Headhunter - Parody of Life
Hellbastard - Natural Order (not pure thrash, but thrash fans like it anyway)
Hexenhaus - The Edge of Eternity
Holy Moses - World Chaos
Laughing Dead - Laughing Dead demo
Lawnmower Deth - Oh Crikey! (hard to describe this band as they blend thrash, hardcore, death, etc.)
Obliveon - From This Day Forward
Overthrow - Within Suffering
Slammer - Insanity Addicts
Stone - Colours
Toranaga - God's Gift
Wolf Spider - Kingdom of Paranoia
Deliverance - Weapons of our Warfare

and I personally really like the albums below (even if they're not my favorites by those bands), although die-hard fans of these bands will disagree for one reason or another :

Exodus - Impact is Imminent
Testament - Souls of Black
Celtic Frost - Vanity/Nemesis
Destruction - Cracked Brain
Flotsam and Jetsam - When The Storm Comes Down
King Diamond - The Eye (not a thrash band by any means, but back then, they were lumped in the most extreme metal category along with most thrash bands)
Reverend - World Won't Miss You
Sacred Reich - The American Way
Sodom - Better Off Dead
Tankard - The Meaning of Life

I could also have named quite a few others (Protector, Pyracanda, Grinder, Mezzrow, Mass Confusion, Sacrament, Detritus, Sacrosanct, Seventh Angel, Dragon, Tourniquet, Toxic Shock, Mystrez, Tyrannicide, United, Usurper, Vacant Grave, Vengeance Rising, Vulcano, Vulture, Wrath, Cold Steel, Equinox, Messina, etc.) but in my opinion, they're not memorable albums, and quite frankly, I don't listen to them much. However, I still listen to the others regularly, even though they were released 22 years ago.

Honestly, I can't name that many albums for 1991. Of course, the ones below are classics :

Overkill - Horrorscope
Heathen - Victims of Deception
Dark Angel - Time Does Not Heal (my favorite album by them)
Devastation - Idolatry
Iced Earth - Night of the Stormrider (listen to it and tell me it's not thrash)
Laaz Rockit - Nothing$ Sacred (this is indeed a pure thrash album)
Sepultura - Arise
Skyclad - The Wayward Sons of Mother Earth (yes, they were mostly thrash back then)
Wrathchild America - 3D (maybe not classic, but better than the debut IMO)

then some others I listen to once in a while, although in most cases, I can't say the band was at its peak :

Acid Drinkers - Dirty Money, Dirty Tricks
Coroner - Mental Vortex
*Cyclone Temple - I Hate Therefore I Am
*Debustrol - Neuropatolog
Despair - Beyond All Reason
Destroyers - The Miseries of Virtue
Evildead - The Underworld
Forced Entry - As Above, So Below
Grinder - Nothing is Sacred
Hexenhaus - Awakening
Intruder - Psycho Savant
Korzus - Mass Illusion
*Living Sacrifice - self-titled (Slayer rip-off though)
Nuclear Assault - Out of Order
Razor - Open Hostility
Wolf Spider - Hue of Evil
Accuser - Double Talk

(* means it is their debut)

as far as the others, I don't think any of the following are essential : A.R.G., Assorted Heap, Airdash, Amnesia, Arakain, Attomica, The Crucified, D.A.M., Darklin Reach, Dead and Bloated, Death Power, Death Squad, Dementia, Denial, Dragon, Equinox, Executer, Faff-Bey, Fear of God, Funeral Nation, Hellias, Hermetica, Impact, Kryptor, Lunacy, Outrage, Panic, Poltergeist, Prestige, Protector, Ravenous, Salvation, Shah, Slaughter House, Terrahsphere, Torment, Toxin, Transmetal, Vomitory etc. I guess you can say that unless you're an encyclopedic thrash fan or a collector, you're not missing much.

As for Sabbat, Mortal Sin, Slammer, Living Death, Rigor Mortis and Stone, they released albums in 1991, but all those bands either changed style or lost key members, and therefore released inferior, uninspired albums.

That being said, there's no way 1991 was better than 1990 as far as thrash metal is concerned. ;-)

Are you on RATE YOUR MUSIC? i also can see like that what albums i have on lps, cds or tapes released during 1990 for exemple. Or you have a different sistem?. You know your thrash brother, i am a thrash maniac too and own a lot of those records too.
I know what you talk about KIND DIAMOND and SANCTUARY. They were in the same thrash magazines back in 90-91 like TESTAMENT or DARKNESS for exemple. They were no thrash but the thrash fans loved them very much. You and me did too. Hail to you headbanger
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

PostSubject: Re: 1991: A Great Year for Thrash   1991: A Great Year for Thrash - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 29, 2012 8:20 am

Coma wrote:

Ok, you convinced me. Most of my ultimate favorite albums came out in 1991, but I now see there were far more quality releases in 1990, as you have demonstrated.

And Seasons is one of my all time favorite albums of any genre, so there's that for '90.
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: 1991: A Great Year for Thrash   1991: A Great Year for Thrash - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 29, 2012 9:17 am

1990 was a good year but I still think 1989 was THE year for thrash

Believer-Extraction from Mortality
Testament-Practice What you Preach
Exodus-Fabulous Disaster
Xentrix-Shattered Existence
Sodom-Agent Orange
Annihilator-Alice In Hell
Coroner-No More Color
Dark Angel-Leave Scars
Deliverance-S/T
Equinox-Auf Weidersehen
Evil Dead-Annihilation of Civilization
Kreator-Extreme Aggression
Laaz Rockit-Annihilation Principle
Mortal Sin-Face of Despair
Nuclear Assault-Handle with Care
Overkill-The Years of Decay
Toxic-Think This
Viking-Man of Straw
Voivod-Nothingface
Wrathchild America-Climbin the Walls
Vengeance Rising-Human Sacrifice
D.R.I-Thrashzone
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: 1991: A Great Year for Thrash   1991: A Great Year for Thrash - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 29, 2012 9:59 am

Temple of Blood wrote:
More like CORONER really.

certainly nothing wrong with being like Coroner. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Coma
Metal student
Metal student
Coma

PostSubject: Re: 1991: A Great Year for Thrash   1991: A Great Year for Thrash - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 29, 2012 11:40 am

krokus wrote:
Are you on RATE YOUR MUSIC? i also can see like that what albums i have on lps, cds or tapes released during 1990 for exemple. Or you have a different sistem?. You know your thrash brother, i am a thrash maniac too and own a lot of those records too.
I know what you talk about KIND DIAMOND and SANCTUARY. They were in the same thrash magazines back in 90-91 like TESTAMENT or DARKNESS for exemple. They were no thrash but the thrash fans loved them very much. You and me did too. Hail to you headbanger

No I'm not on RYM, I use a little piece of software I programmed years ago to manage my collection. We had to do a small project back when I was studying computer science and I figured something to manage my lists (collection, trade, sale, etc.) would be a good thing to begin with. I still use it 12 years later. ;-)

ZombieHavoc wrote:

Ok, you convinced me. Most of my ultimate favorite albums came out in 1991, but I now see there were far more quality releases in 1990, as you have demonstrated.

And Seasons is one of my all time favorite albums of any genre, so there's that for '90.

Well, it's still a matter of taste, but overall, I think in terms of quantity AND quality, 1990 was much better than 1991.

Thrasher73 wrote:
1990 was a good year but I still think 1989 was THE year for thrash

Believer-Extraction from Mortality
Testament-Practice What you Preach
Exodus-Fabulous Disaster
Xentrix-Shattered Existence
Sodom-Agent Orange
Annihilator-Alice In Hell
Coroner-No More Color
Dark Angel-Leave Scars
Deliverance-S/T
Equinox-Auf Weidersehen
Evil Dead-Annihilation of Civilization
Kreator-Extreme Aggression
Laaz Rockit-Annihilation Principle
Mortal Sin-Face of Despair
Nuclear Assault-Handle with Care
Overkill-The Years of Decay
Toxic-Think This
Viking-Man of Straw
Voivod-Nothingface
Wrathchild America-Climbin the Walls
Vengeance Rising-Human Sacrifice
D.R.I-Thrashzone

Have to agree with most albums there, especially Kreator, Nuclear Assault, Sodom, D.R.I., Evildead and perhaps Mortal Sin, as they're my favorites by these bands. "The Years of Decay" would be damn close, but I still prefer "Horrorscope". I should have said that 1991 was pale in comparison to '86, '87, '88 or '89.

Others I can think of from 1989 :

Accuser - Who Dominates Who?
D.B.C. - Universe (I'm from the Montreal area, this album was big here, excellent progressive thrash)
Devastation - Signs of Life (I prefer Idolatry, but this was a major improvement over their debut)
Faith or Fear - Punishment Area
Forced Entry - Uncertain Future (everything that had the Combat logo had to be in my collection, glad it turned out well with this one!)
Helstar - Nosferatu (rather power/thrash, but that's a classic in its genre)
Heretic - Breaking Point (just like Sanctuary/King Diamond in my analysis)
Intruder - A Higher Form of Killing (my favorite by them)
King Diamond - Conspiracy
M.O.D. - Gross Misconduct (my favorite too in their discography)
Metal Church - Blessing in Disguise (OK, not thrash, but there again, they were in the same magazines than the rest of the thrash bands)
Mordred - Fools' Game (their only good full-length as far as I'm concerned, the funk element not being all over the place as opposed to their other releases)
Onslaught - In Search of Sanity (didn't like it back then, preferred the older material, but recent spins made me change my mind, this is good!)
Paradox - Heresy (huge improvement over their debut)
Pestilence - Consuming Impulse (death/thrash)
Sabbat - Dreamweaver (their best!)
Sepultura - Beneath The Remains (tied with Arise as their best in my book)
Stone - No Anesthesia! (much better than their debut)
Tankard - Alien (just an EP, but one of my favorites nonetheless)

and I have to admit I really like Acid Reign's "The Fear" album from that year, even though the band got smashed by critics frequently. They reminded me of Anthrax circa Among/State of Euphoria for some reason. Holy Moses probably released their best album with "The New Machine of Liechstenstein", even though it went completely unnoticed here in North America. Another released ignored by most but loved by collectors is Mandator "Perfect Progeny" - yes, it's a collector's item mostly, but musically, it also has something to offer. The first Defiance album also wasn't bad at all - I prefer "Void Terra Firma", but rediscovered the debut a few years ago and really like it.

In the obscure department, Alastor "Syndroms of the Cities" (Polish thrash band) would get a vote. That Eastern European sound of the late 80's/early 90's sounds perhaps weird at first compared to the German and US heavyweights of the time, but it still had something different to offer. Anihilated "The Ultimate Desecration" from the UK is also another album I listen to frequently. D.A.M. "Human Wreckage" is also quite an enjoyable listen. I really enjoyed Gammacide's "Victims of Science" LP too, as well as Gothic Slam's "Just A Face in the Crowd". Mekong Delta "The Principle of Doubt" is another great technical thrash album from that era, even though it was probably a little bit ahead of its time in terms of overall acceptance by metal fans.
Back to top Go down
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

PostSubject: Re: 1991: A Great Year for Thrash   1991: A Great Year for Thrash - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 29, 2012 3:12 pm

Thanks for your answer Coma. About ALASTOR. I have that album on vinyl but never liked it very much. I like other bands from Poland more like TURBO, DRAGON, WOLF SPIDER, HORROR, KAT, etc...they released far better albums. Only a couple of songs were good on that release. I read in a magazine that the singer and guitar player went to the USA after releasing the band and formed a new ALASTOR line up, but never really happend with that.
Back to top Go down
Coma
Metal student
Metal student
Coma

PostSubject: Re: 1991: A Great Year for Thrash   1991: A Great Year for Thrash - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 29, 2012 3:30 pm

krokus wrote:
Thanks for your answer Coma. About ALASTOR. I have that album on vinyl but never liked it very much. I like other bands from Poland more like TURBO, DRAGON, WOLF SPIDER, HORROR, KAT, etc...they released far better albums. Only a couple of songs were good on that release. I read in a magazine that the singer and guitar player went to the USA after releasing the band and formed a new ALASTOR line up, but never really happend with that.

Wasn't that rather Astharoth? They released their "Gloomy Experiments" full-length in 1990, then the guitar players moved to San Francisco and recorded a few demos.

Alastor stayed active until 1997, disbanded, then reformed a few years ago.

They released "Zło" in 1994, "Żyj, gnij i milcz" in 1997 and "Spaaazm" in 2009. All three albums are quite different from the debut, and not really good as far as I'm concerned.

I have to agree that Turbo, Dragon, Wolf Spider and Kat were much better on a long-term basis, but for 1989, I prefer the Alastor LP to the other albums those Polish bands released. Actually, only Turbo with "Epidemie" and Dragon with "Horda Goga" are from 1989. I have both, but I rarely listen to them.
Back to top Go down
krail
Metal novice
Metal novice

Number of posts : 49

PostSubject: Re: 1991: A Great Year for Thrash   1991: A Great Year for Thrash - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 29, 2012 10:34 pm

T-Roy wrote:
THE CRUCIFIED - Pillars of Humanity....one of my favorite thrash albums of all time.

yes yes. good taste brother.
Back to top Go down
Coram Deo
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Coram Deo

Number of posts : 254

PostSubject: Re: 1991: A Great Year for Thrash   1991: A Great Year for Thrash - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2012 2:12 am

Wes, you mentioned 1989, but you forgot one of my favs........ I know you didn't mean to, it happens to the best of us. I'm not taking yer thrash card........Yet......... Razz

1991: A Great Year for Thrash - Page 2 456511

I concur with someone who said what year wasn't great for thrash. I've even heard last year was a horrible year for thrash, and I must say I disagree. I've got a lot of killer thrash from 2011 and 2012.

I'm still waiting this year, or 2013 for Powermad, Temple of Blood, Tantara, Lich King, Sword of Judgement, Avenger of Blood, Ultimatum, Delieverance, Essence, just to name a few.

Thanks God for thrash, it's good stuff.

Back to top Go down
http://annoyedelephants.wordpress.com/
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

PostSubject: Re: 1991: A Great Year for Thrash   1991: A Great Year for Thrash - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2012 2:23 am

Coma wrote:
krokus wrote:

Wasn't that rather Astharoth? They released their "Gloomy Experiments" full-length in 1990, then the guitar players moved to San Francisco and recorded a few demos.

Alastor stayed active until 1997, disbanded, then reformed a few years ago.

They released "Zło" in 1994, "Żyj, gnij i milcz" in 1997 and "Spaaazm" in 2009. All three albums are quite different from the debut, and not really good as far as I'm concerned.

I have to agree that Turbo, Dragon, Wolf Spider and Kat were much better on a long-term basis, but for 1989, I prefer the Alastor LP to the other albums those Polish bands released. Actually, only Turbo with "Epidemie" and Dragon with "Horda Goga" are from 1989. I have both, but I rarely listen to them.

Yessss, it was ASTHAROTH, how can i be so stupid Very Happy , yes, that was a strange record. I also got the ALASTOR lp and i will play that today because i dont remember if i liked it or not. I only have their debut. Do you remember DESTROYERS from Poland?, cool band too. Some of my fave albums are the first KAT albums, they were so cool. Thrash/speed the primative way. HORDA GOGA is okay but i agree that its not the best thrash album from Poland. My fave DRAGON song is NIEDALEKI KONIEC but its only on a couple of compilation pre-HORDA GOGA days. After this lp they released some albums in English that i also have in my collection but the songs were not so good anymore and a lot of death metal influences in it. With a new singer and liricis in English a big part of the magic was gone forever.
Back to top Go down
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

PostSubject: Re: 1991: A Great Year for Thrash   1991: A Great Year for Thrash - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2012 6:03 am

I played the lp by ALASTOR today and yes, its a lot better than ASTHAROTH lp that have only 2 songs that i like, the rest is to experimental and progresive for my liking. But the ALASTOR is better. Still, i dont find it a killer release. It doesnt sound Polish like the early KAT released for exemple and i can hear influencis from the states like TESTAMENT, or DEATH ANGEL. Not a bad album, but not a killer release in my opinion. I like the ALASTOR from Portugal more. I dont know if you know them but they released some killer albums of primitive and european sounding thrash metal.
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: 1991: A Great Year for Thrash   1991: A Great Year for Thrash - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2012 9:43 am

Coram Deo wrote:
Wes, you mentioned 1989, but you forgot one of my favs........ I know you didn't mean to, it happens to the best of us. I'm not taking yer thrash card........Yet......... Razz

1991: A Great Year for Thrash - Page 2 456511

Yeah,I forgot that one Dude,Sorry! Embarassed

Great album it is

If Im not mistaken,Defiance-Product of Society came out in 89 as well
Back to top Go down
Coma
Metal student
Metal student
Coma

PostSubject: Re: 1991: A Great Year for Thrash   1991: A Great Year for Thrash - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2012 10:09 am

Coram Deo:

Had Powermad on my list initially for 1989, but then removed it because I would have been full of crap mentioning an album I couldn't name a song from.

I know a lot of people like this album, but to be honest, I don't remember much about it, I haven't listened to it in at least 10 years. I'll remove the dust from the case and will give it a chance this weekend.

Krokus:

'Syndroms of the Cities' isn't a killer release by all means, but of all the obscure thrash that came out that year, it is at least worth a listen. I found it to be a refreshing view of what was happening outside the usual metal hotbeds.

Yes, I know Destroyers, I have both their full-lengths and the split LP with Hämmer. I enjoy "The Miseries of Virtue" a lot, I even transferred it from LP to CDR so I could listen to it more often before MetalMind reissued it on CD. Not too familiar with the first album though, I got it from MetalMind but that was recently and I've only given it one spin so far.

Never really been into that blackish thrash metal movement that Alastor are part of. I had "Crushing Christendom" and "Hellward" and ended up trading them a few weeks later.

Thrasher73:

Yes, "Product of Society" is indeed from 1989.

"The first Defiance album also wasn't bad at all - I prefer "Void Terra Firma", but rediscovered the debut a few years ago and really like it.". Very Happy
Back to top Go down
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

PostSubject: Re: 1991: A Great Year for Thrash   1991: A Great Year for Thrash - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2012 10:57 am

If you are not into thrash with black metal influences i understand you dont like a band like ALASTOR. I like them and also DECAYED thats is related to ALASTOR. YOu know your metal bro.
Back to top Go down
Coram Deo
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Coram Deo

Number of posts : 254

PostSubject: Re: 1991: A Great Year for Thrash   1991: A Great Year for Thrash - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 31, 2012 3:46 pm

Quote :
Had Powermad on my list initially for 1989, but then removed it because I would have been full of crap mentioning an album I couldn't name a song from.

I know a lot of people like this album, but to be honest, I don't remember much about it, I haven't listened to it in at least 10 years. I'll remove the dust from the case and will give it a chance this weekend.

Let me know what you think after another listen. I'm very curious. Maybe it was the clean vocal style you didn't care for? I have talked with a few others over the years that didn't care for them, and it still boggles my mind. But, that's why we're all different, like different things.
Back to top Go down
http://annoyedelephants.wordpress.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 1991: A Great Year for Thrash   1991: A Great Year for Thrash - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

1991: A Great Year for Thrash
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next