Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Anyone gone exclusively digital?

Go down 
+57
JBall_Z
BearOnUnicycle
krokus
kmorg
Boris2008
metalken
rajah
Thelemech
brokentulsa
thejokeriv
sovdat
Short-Fuse
80s Metal Lady
journeyman
Lari
choosemetal
martinsane
Metal Misfit
Gilbert
mikeinfla
Wargod
Required Fields
jstate
scottmitchell74
Vexer6
Alex Dee Rokket
jettafiend
chewie
Hamer12
Wurthless
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
James B.
adrian
tohostudios
DallasBlack
EmoElmo
exact33
kethdredd
Thrasher73
Dark Horseman
rawr!
nevermore
Orion Crystal Ice
DarthMetalis
Eyesore
Witchfinder
Leatherface
ultmetal
T-Roy
mc666
manny
Citanul
Shawn Of Fire
Fat Freddy
MetalGuy71
ZombieHavoc
61 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage

Anyone gone exclusively digital? - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anyone gone exclusively digital?   Anyone gone exclusively digital? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 20, 2012 11:25 am

I used to feel exactly the same way, I wanted something to "hold in my hands", I wanted to read liner notes and stare at the album covers. But that has gradually changed over the years.

I started ripping CDs into the computer back around 2003 or so and slowly but surely found myself enjoying using the computer as my primary stereo component. Then I moved and had boxes and boxes and boxes of CDs I had to lug around. When I got to my new place I didn't want to invest in CD shelves so they stayed in boxes. Then years passed...and I realized I never even opened those boxes and I started to think "so, if I don't open a box for a few years evidently the stuff within that box isn't very important to my daily life". So my collecting slowed down and eventually I sold off most of those boxes. I honestly haven't missed those physical CDs for a moment.

I have a very small collection of CDs left, they've been in a closed wardrobe cabinet and I probably haven't looked at them for a year. I buy a CD, I rip it to the computer, I read the liner notes once and then the disc goes on the shelf and collects dust. Seems like a waste.

Now I view CDs like Beer Bottles. What I want is the liquid inside, the container goes into the recycle.

My physical collecting has primarily changed to used LPs and I really only go shopping for them once every few months.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Anyone gone exclusively digital?   Anyone gone exclusively digital? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 20, 2012 11:30 am

I think I am quoting eyesore here but nothing more badass then a wall to wall shelves filled with CD's
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Anyone gone exclusively digital?   Anyone gone exclusively digital? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 20, 2012 11:32 am

manny wrote:
I think I am quoting eyesore here but nothing more badass then a wall to wall shelves filled with CD's

Wall to wall shelves of LPs are WAY cooler. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Anyone gone exclusively digital?   Anyone gone exclusively digital? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 20, 2012 11:39 am

I guess what it boils down to for me is that I don't have a need or desire to go all digital.

I have the physical space to house my collection and since most of my purchases are used and exclude imports, cost isn't really an issue for me. The majority of the stuff I listen to or want is readily available on cd as well. I have working cd players in the bedroom, kitchen, living room, basement and garage. It's my one hobby I have left.

I suppose if anyone of those factors goes kaput, I'll make a change.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Anyone gone exclusively digital?   Anyone gone exclusively digital? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 20, 2012 11:41 am

Quote :
I used to feel exactly the same way, I wanted something to "hold in my hands", I wanted to read liner notes and stare at the album covers. But that has gradually changed over the years.

I think the "collecting" thing is simply in my genetics. Both of my parents had big record collections, even as a kid before I knew anything about music I used to like flipping thru them and looking at the pictures on the covers. Between the two of them their tastes ran the gamut from '50s and to '60s folk/rock, bluegrass, country, Broadway show tunes, big band stuff, and eventually middle of the road schmutz like ABBA and Kenny Rogers.

Which reminds me, I wonder what my Mom did with all of my Dad's records when he passed away... he had tons of 50s doo-wop and early rock 'n' roll stuff and was always super careful about keeping them in good condition... Mom could probably be making a mint off of that stuff on eBay. Very Happy

...and like MG71 sez, it's the "one hobby I have left." I always tell my kids, "Everyone needs a 'thing.' Collecting CDs is my 'thing.'"

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: Anyone gone exclusively digital?   Anyone gone exclusively digital? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 20, 2012 6:05 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Quote :

I think the "collecting" thing is simply in my genetics. Both of my parents had big record collections, even as a kid before I knew anything about music I used to like flipping thru them and looking at the pictures on the covers. Between the two of them their tastes ran the gamut from '50s and to '60s folk/rock, bluegrass, country, Broadway show tunes, big band stuff, and eventually middle of the road schmutz like ABBA and Kenny Rogers.

Which reminds me, I wonder what my Mom did with all of my Dad's records when he passed away... he had tons of 50s doo-wop and early rock 'n' roll stuff and was always super careful about keeping them in good condition... Mom could probably be making a mint off of that stuff on eBay. Very Happy

...and like MG71 sez, it's the "one hobby I have left." I always tell my kids, "Everyone needs a 'thing.' Collecting CDs is my 'thing.'"

I agree. I enjoy having the cds but i do see the mp3 argument. I think for me its mostly the wait and having issues when stuff doesnt arrive. Dont have those issues with downloads. I am still on the fence though.

Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

PostSubject: Re: Anyone gone exclusively digital?   Anyone gone exclusively digital? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 20, 2012 6:18 pm

I still buy CDs, so no.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Anyone gone exclusively digital?   Anyone gone exclusively digital? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 20, 2012 8:17 pm

S.D. wrote:

Now I view CDs like Beer Bottles. What I want is the liquid inside, the container goes into the recycle.
that's a pretty good analogy. i still buy a sh*t load, but that's pretty much how i see them as well.

T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

Number of posts : 4077

PostSubject: Re: Anyone gone exclusively digital?   Anyone gone exclusively digital? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2012 6:23 am

scottmitchell74 wrote:
I know! I don't have a smart phone either...nor internet at home or cable TV. Just rabbit ears and a HD converter! We're dinosaurs. We're basically the same age, you remember those weird kids when we were in grade school that didn't have TVs in their homes because they parents were weirdos...? Apparently that's my household, now. We do have XBOX Kinect, though, so the girls won't be too twisted when they grow up. Smile

And dude, get it right, it's 305 horses...

Anyone gone exclusively digital? - Page 5 P1010194

cheers
Dude, I think we're twins from another world.

What we don't have:
cable/satellite TV
highspeed internet
flatscreen TV
cell phones

Haves:
digital antenna so we get the local channels
dial up internet, absolutely pathetic, but it allows my wife to check email

WOOO, THAT BABY IS SWEET BRO!!
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Anyone gone exclusively digital?   Anyone gone exclusively digital? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2012 5:26 pm

That ride rocks!!! Cool car!

Wargod
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

PostSubject: Re: Anyone gone exclusively digital?   Anyone gone exclusively digital? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2012 6:09 pm

I will never go digital only I want the cds/vinyl just something about about having them in your hands and collection. I purchase about 60% vinyl now!

Metalwargod
Back to top Go down
mikeinfla
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

Number of posts : 2477

PostSubject: Re: Anyone gone exclusively digital?   Anyone gone exclusively digital? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 24, 2012 2:38 am

I purchase both. If it's a band I really like I buy the CD. But this had me thinking... Once you get tired of your Justin Bieber and One Direction downloads HOW are you going to trade them off? When you get sick of CD's you can trade them at a used store and browse CDs.... I have yet to see a "Used Digital Store" where you can purchase used digital downloads.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Anyone gone exclusively digital?   Anyone gone exclusively digital? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 24, 2012 3:01 am

mikeinfla wrote:
I purchase both. If it's a band I really like I buy the CD. But this had me thinking... Once you get tired of your Justin Bieber and One Direction downloads HOW are you going to trade them off? When you get sick of CD's you can trade them at a used store and browse CDs.... I have yet to see a "Used Digital Store" where you can purchase used digital downloads.

Good point! Think of the countless used music stores and websites. If you don't want to spend too much on a certain CD, 7 out of 10 times (the other 3 being out of print) you can find it at 50% or more off the price. I'd rather do that than buy the non-physical copy.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: Anyone gone exclusively digital?   Anyone gone exclusively digital? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 24, 2012 3:53 am

I enjoy my CD collection so much.

I did download some albums on my computer, to listen to, when i am working late at the office.

I still buy plenty of CDs, ordering most of them on amazon.co.uk.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Anyone gone exclusively digital?   Anyone gone exclusively digital? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 27, 2013 10:22 am

I am almost finished ripping my collection through D. By the end of 2014 I ought to be finished  Razz

Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Anyone gone exclusively digital?   Anyone gone exclusively digital? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 27, 2013 11:28 am

I just got a record player for christmas. It will be mostly for must haves and cheapies but I guess i'm not going only digital. You can find a lot of records for under $3.
Back to top Go down
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

PostSubject: Re: Anyone gone exclusively digital?   Anyone gone exclusively digital? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 27, 2013 11:54 am

If it's a band I really love (and we're talking Top 10 or 20 here), I will more than likely buy the CD. Anything else, I will stream on Spotify or sometimes buy the digital album on iTunes or Amazon.
Back to top Go down
martinsane
Metal master
Metal master
martinsane

Number of posts : 924

PostSubject: Re: Anyone gone exclusively digital?   Anyone gone exclusively digital? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 27, 2013 1:54 pm

mikeinfla wrote:
Once you get tired of your Justin Bieber and One Direction downloads HOW are you going to trade them off? When you get sick of CD's you can trade them at a used store and browse CDs.... I have yet to see a "Used Digital Store" where you can purchase used digital downloads.

This statement sums it up. Sure its ALL about the music, I get it, but you got no return on investment with downloads. Nothing tangible! If your ever in a bind for some dough, sell some cd's, vinyls, etc... Not a large market for pre-owned mp'3 sales and I can't imagine there ever will be.

As stated before, many times and many ways: physical releases for me, please and thank you.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Anyone gone exclusively digital?   Anyone gone exclusively digital? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 27, 2013 1:59 pm

Of course used CDs are so cheap now selling them will get you next to nothing unless it's a highly sought after rarity.
Back to top Go down
choosemetal
Metal master
Metal master
choosemetal

Number of posts : 757

PostSubject: Re: Anyone gone exclusively digital?   Anyone gone exclusively digital? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 27, 2013 2:08 pm

I will rip my CD's to the computer to listen onto my IPod but I still listen to my CD's. To me digital means a lot less to me than having and listening to the actually CD It almost feels like I don't own it. However I will download it if I can't find it on CD for a good price like if it's a 100 dollars. But other than that I listen to my CD's all the time.
Back to top Go down
http://wwwtotalmetal.blogspot.com/
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: Anyone gone exclusively digital?   Anyone gone exclusively digital? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 27, 2013 2:17 pm

I don't download it, even if I don't find it on CD. Then I just live without it. I'll just play something else. What a concept!

Seriously, I have enough CDs to entertain me a lifetime. I've stopped worrying about stuff I haven't heard.
Back to top Go down
martinsane
Metal master
Metal master
martinsane

Number of posts : 924

PostSubject: Re: Anyone gone exclusively digital?   Anyone gone exclusively digital? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 27, 2013 2:47 pm

S.D. wrote:
Of course used CDs are so cheap now selling them will get you next to nothing unless it's a highly sought after rarity.

Depends where you you sell them. Out West I can get at least a buck or two for the worst/most common used cd's known to man at a number of retail used cd shops. I can also sell on Craigslist or privately through a number of different websites geared towards my kind of music, I can name my price and can easily get it.

I don't even think about Ebay or Amazon, there's no need, WAY too many other resources and no fee's or BS.

Not that I'm selling, just stating that if I needed too at least there is something to sell...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Anyone gone exclusively digital?   Anyone gone exclusively digital? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 27, 2013 2:59 pm

I didn't buy any CDs in 2013, all my new release purchases were either LP, blu-ray or hi-res download and my used purchases were strictly LPs.

Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Anyone gone exclusively digital?   Anyone gone exclusively digital? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 27, 2013 3:03 pm

MY CD purchases are going w-a-a-a-y down. I've been buying downloads more and more. Plugging a flash drive into the car and listening to a ton of different music is just so much more efficient than lugging a carload of CDs around.

Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Anyone gone exclusively digital?   Anyone gone exclusively digital? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 27, 2013 3:28 pm

I spend 20 or 30 bucks on bandcamp downloads just about every day. I only buy 15 to 20 physical cds a month anymore, unless I find a bulk collection on ebay. So, I'm definitely more digital now than ever before.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anyone gone exclusively digital?   Anyone gone exclusively digital? - Page 5 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Anyone gone exclusively digital?
Page 5 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next