Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Anyone gone exclusively digital?

Go down 
+57
JBall_Z
BearOnUnicycle
krokus
kmorg
Boris2008
metalken
rajah
Thelemech
brokentulsa
thejokeriv
sovdat
Short-Fuse
80s Metal Lady
journeyman
Lari
choosemetal
martinsane
Metal Misfit
Gilbert
mikeinfla
Wargod
Required Fields
jstate
scottmitchell74
Vexer6
Alex Dee Rokket
jettafiend
chewie
Hamer12
Wurthless
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
James B.
adrian
tohostudios
DallasBlack
EmoElmo
exact33
kethdredd
Thrasher73
Dark Horseman
rawr!
nevermore
Orion Crystal Ice
DarthMetalis
Eyesore
Witchfinder
Leatherface
ultmetal
T-Roy
mc666
manny
Citanul
Shawn Of Fire
Fat Freddy
MetalGuy71
ZombieHavoc
61 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

Anyone gone exclusively digital? Empty
PostSubject: Anyone gone exclusively digital?   Anyone gone exclusively digital? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 16, 2012 10:30 am

In 2006, I quit my job to back to school. I (foolishly) decided to sell my entire CD collection suplement my income. I also thought I was ready to be 100% digital.

So I burned copies of my of my CDs, filled up my iPod, and threw them on eBay.

I was not ready to be 100% digital. A few months after selling them, I regretted it.

So now, I buy CDs, but have a tiny collection. With a house, wife and baby, I just don't have the money to devote to buying CDs that I did in my 20s (not too mention the fact that at that time I was okay with running up obscene credit card debt to obtain CDs--not okay with that now. Ha).

I will also buy albums digitally now, though. Since 99% of my music collection are burned CDs and digital files, it makes it a little easier to just say screw it, and buy an album on Amazon MP3 or iTunes or whatever.

Still, when I look at my CD collection now...man, it's so pathetic. A 34-year-old lifelong music fan should not have a less-than-one-hundred CD collection.

Also, another thing that annoys me...so, a couple months ago I bought Metallica's Black Album for the first time ever. Well, I *used* to have the first four on CD, but now they are just MP3s on my laptop. So if someone were to look at my CD collection, not only would it look pitiful in size, but it'd also look like I was one of those millions of people who felt that the album with "Nothing Else Matters" was the only Metallica album worth buying.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Anyone gone exclusively digital?   Anyone gone exclusively digital? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 16, 2012 11:06 am

I'm fighting it Dokken-style ie Tooth and Nail. To para-phrase Charleton Heston, I'll give up my beloved cds when they pry them from my cold, dead hands.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37658

PostSubject: Re: Anyone gone exclusively digital?   Anyone gone exclusively digital? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 16, 2012 11:11 am

(Crosses arms, stands firm)

Nope. Nope, nope, nope. Not gonna do it. I don't even own one 'a them, whadyacall'em, Pod-Eyes.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Anyone gone exclusively digital?   Anyone gone exclusively digital? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 16, 2012 11:16 am

I've considered it. But I can hear my wife now..."we sunk so much money into all those CDs and now you're just selling them? I told you to go digital years ago!" She is digital now...just gets songs she wants and/or burns stuff of my CDs if she likes it.

lol!

Metal master
Metal master
Citanul

Number of posts : 657

PostSubject: Re: Anyone gone exclusively digital?   Anyone gone exclusively digital? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 16, 2012 11:29 am

I was a no-digital man for a long time, although part of that was because a lot of the digital music sites aren't available if you live in South Africa. That's something I don't quite understand - why won't Amazon let me download MP3s from South Africa yet happily ship the physical CD to me?

But recently I have gone the digital route for a few albums which just weren't available any other way. However, I don't think I'm ever going to go completely digital. There's something about having the physical CD that seems to enhance the listening experience that I don't always get when I'm listening to something I obtained digitally (even if I'm listening to it on my iPod, which seems a bit odd to me scratch ).

Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Anyone gone exclusively digital?   Anyone gone exclusively digital? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 16, 2012 11:44 am

No I am not doing it, call me a dinosaur but I like owning a physical product, the thought that goes into creating the package, art work, the time they took in sequencing the songs, plus my living room looks bad ass with wall to wall music.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39655

PostSubject: Re: Anyone gone exclusively digital?   Anyone gone exclusively digital? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 16, 2012 12:00 pm

That's something I'm going to resist doing as long as possible (until they quit making cds). It just doesn't seem like owning anything if it would be done digitally. I don't mind an ipod because they are a convenient way of carrying music,but everything own my ipod is originally on a physical copy.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Anyone gone exclusively digital?   Anyone gone exclusively digital? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 16, 2012 12:03 pm

i'll keep buying cds as long as they keep making them. i'm not anti digital though. both formats have their place.

T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

Number of posts : 4077

PostSubject: Re: Anyone gone exclusively digital?   Anyone gone exclusively digital? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 16, 2012 12:05 pm

mc666 wrote:
i'll keep buying cds as long as they keep making them. i'm not anti digital though. both formats have their place.
DIGITAL BIGOT!!
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Anyone gone exclusively digital?   Anyone gone exclusively digital? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 16, 2012 12:12 pm

If I don't own the CD or vinyl, I feel like I don't own anything. That vinyl or CD is a piece of the band's history that I own. With digital downloads, I own nothing. For me, I feel I am a real fan not just because I listen to the band's music but because I buy the band's physical product as well.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Leatherface

Number of posts : 18963

PostSubject: Re: Anyone gone exclusively digital?   Anyone gone exclusively digital? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 16, 2012 12:40 pm

Nope. It's like Alice Cooper says it's like buying air when you pay for a download.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rickcaudill2

PostSubject: Re: Anyone gone exclusively digital?   Anyone gone exclusively digital? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 16, 2012 12:44 pm

I've said it before and I'll say it again...CDs ARE digital!!!! lol!

That cracks me up almost as much as people saying they buy "vinyls".

Back to top Go down
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

PostSubject: Re: Anyone gone exclusively digital?   Anyone gone exclusively digital? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 16, 2012 12:45 pm

lol!
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Anyone gone exclusively digital?   Anyone gone exclusively digital? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 16, 2012 12:50 pm

S.D. wrote:

I trust my cds not to lose their data. Not so with a computer. Working with computers for 15+ years now, I know how easy it is to lose everything in the blink of an eye. I don't trust 'em enough to go fully digital. Even backing things up, I'd never trust them completely.

Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7613

PostSubject: Re: Anyone gone exclusively digital?   Anyone gone exclusively digital? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 16, 2012 12:55 pm

I prefer the physical format be it CD or vinyl. Until I can get lossless formats from all digital outlets, I am not interested.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Anyone gone exclusively digital?   Anyone gone exclusively digital? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 16, 2012 12:57 pm

I still have my CDs, but everything but most vinyl and cassettes is ripped. So I've gone like 98% digital but still have all my CDs.

My CDs are all in totes, though, so for all intents and purposes I've gone digital.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Anyone gone exclusively digital?   Anyone gone exclusively digital? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 16, 2012 12:58 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
S.D. wrote:

I trust my cds not to lose their data. Not so with a computer. Working with computers for 15+ years now, I know how easy it is to lose everything in the blink of an eye. I don't trust 'em enough to go fully digital. Even backing things up, I'd never trust them completely.
But you rarely lose files on computers. Most people just don't know how easy it is to recover them.
Back to top Go down
DarthMetalis
Metal novice
Metal novice
DarthMetalis

Number of posts : 19

PostSubject: Re: Anyone gone exclusively digital?   Anyone gone exclusively digital? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 16, 2012 12:58 pm

I buy Cd's on occasion but usually stick with downloads, which I back up. In my opinion it's not a matter of right and wrong or being a true fan or not, it's personal preference.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Anyone gone exclusively digital?   Anyone gone exclusively digital? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 16, 2012 1:00 pm

Has anyone tried iTunes Match or Google Play for backing up in the cloud?

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

PostSubject: Re: Anyone gone exclusively digital?   Anyone gone exclusively digital? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 16, 2012 1:02 pm

Eyesore wrote:
I still have my CDs, but everything but most vinyl and cassettes is ripped. So I've gone like 98% digital but still have all my CDs.

My CDs are all in totes, though, so for all intents and purposes I've gone digital.
99% of the time, I listen to my music on my iPod. Including in my car....and besides getting really nice "bud" earphones, I really miss having that big sound from a car stereo. I drive an old civic with a stock am/fm radio. I wonder if it would be worth dropping the 50 bucks on one of those converter boxes I can attach deep in the bowels of the dash behind the stereo....or put in a nice Kenwood CD deck I've had sitting in the garage for years. Practicality tells me I should just use the ipod?

Be interested to hear how allot of you guys listen in the car....
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Anyone gone exclusively digital?   Anyone gone exclusively digital? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 16, 2012 1:03 pm

Eyesore wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
S.D. wrote:

But you rarely lose files on computers. Most people just don't know how easy it is to recover them.

Sometimes. But we've lost plenty of data over the years here at work. I remember one computer literally was burning up. Smoke coming out the back and everything. I don't know that I could ever let go of that concern, no matter how many times I've backed things up.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: Anyone gone exclusively digital?   Anyone gone exclusively digital? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 16, 2012 1:04 pm

I just throw the CD in, my mp3 player has good sound on it's own, but it's not the kind of thing you can feed through an power amp like what's in my deck and expect it to sound amazing, so..
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

PostSubject: Re: Anyone gone exclusively digital?   Anyone gone exclusively digital? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 16, 2012 1:12 pm

T-Roy wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

99% of the time, I listen to my music on my iPod. Including in my car....and besides getting really nice "bud" earphones, I really miss having that big sound from a car stereo. I drive an old civic with a stock am/fm radio. I wonder if it would be worth dropping the 50 bucks on one of those converter boxes I can attach deep in the bowels of the dash behind the stereo....or put in a nice Kenwood CD deck I've had sitting in the garage for years. Practicality tells me I should just use the ipod?

You gotta get an iPod-ready deck (I've got an alpine). It's got a little "jack" in the back, where you run a cord into your glove compartment, and plug your iPod in through dock connector. It is as close to CD sound as you can get out of an iPod when in the car.

If that's what you meant.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Anyone gone exclusively digital?   Anyone gone exclusively digital? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 16, 2012 1:13 pm

Witchfinder wrote:
Until I can get lossless formats from all digital outlets, I am not interested.

Yeah, that's still the main stumbling block for me going completely digital, I'm not paying money for lossy .mp3s anymore.

The new Rush LP also contained a download card for the .flac files, that's a business model I can accept right there.
Back to top Go down
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

PostSubject: Re: Anyone gone exclusively digital?   Anyone gone exclusively digital? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 16, 2012 1:14 pm

ZombieHavoc wrote:
T-Roy wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

You gotta get an iPod-ready deck (I've got an alpine). It's got a little "jack" in the back, where you run a cord into your glove compartment, and plug your iPod in through dock connector. It is as close to CD sound as you can get out of an iPod when in the car.

If that's what you meant.
Yes...that's what I'm talking about I think. So you like the sound? When you're listening to it, you're not wishing you had the CD for better sound?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anyone gone exclusively digital?   Anyone gone exclusively digital? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Anyone gone exclusively digital?
Page 1 of 8Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next