Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Loverboy

Go down 
+16
thejokeriv
jettafiend
manny
QuothTheRaven
Ricky
James B.
tohostudios
Dark Horseman
Shawn Of Fire
metalinmyveins
Red Kitty
Fat Freddy
MetalGuy71
Troublezone
mikeinfla
20 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Loverboy - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Loverboy   Loverboy - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 06, 2012 9:46 am

QuothTheRaven wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
I was supposed to see them live, however, I was scheduled to be working for the weekend they were in town.

Laughing very hard
Can't believe no one else commented on this! Very subtle, MetalGuy!

Thank you.

Sheesh. Buncha neanderthals on this board.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

Number of posts : 2477

Loverboy - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Loverboy   Loverboy - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 06, 2012 11:13 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
QuothTheRaven wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
I was supposed to see them live, however, I was scheduled to be working for the weekend they were in town.

Laughing very hard

Thank you.

But we're you lovin every minute of it?
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

Loverboy - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Loverboy   Loverboy - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 06, 2012 11:15 am

mikeinfla wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
QuothTheRaven wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

Laughing very hard

Thank you.

But we're you lovin every minute of it?

Until it was over. Then they had to turn him loose. He was one of Lucky Ones.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
QuothTheRaven
Metal master
Metal master
QuothTheRaven

Number of posts : 874

Loverboy - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Loverboy   Loverboy - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 07, 2012 10:40 pm

Loverboy - Page 2 647664
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Loverboy - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Loverboy   Loverboy - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 17, 2012 10:12 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
When we were kids my brother and I had Loverboy's first two albums (s/t and "Get Lucky") on cassette. They were always on MTV back then. Haven't heard or thought about 'em in years though.

Lo and behold, over the weekend I'm lookin' thru a pile of CDs at a garage sale and what do I find but Loverboy's Big Ones greatest-hits compilation. I actually cackled cuz I remembered making the above post not long ago. I figured this was a sign!! I couldn't resist, I picked it up...

...and y'know what? Some of it is pretty damn good!! The tunes from the first two ("Turn Me Loose," "When It's Over," "The Kid Is Hot Tonite," etc.) brought back some memories and even some of the stuff I wasn't familiar with ("Notorious," "For You," etc.) turned out to be pretty decent pop/rock tracks.

...their ballads still suck, though. Sooooooo much Velveeta. Very Happy

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

Loverboy - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Loverboy   Loverboy - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 17, 2012 12:16 pm

And rotten Velveeta at that.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Loverboy - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Loverboy   Loverboy - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 17, 2012 1:06 pm

Dark Horseman wrote:

I was terrified that the ballad "Almost Paradise" w/their singer (Mike Reno) and Ann Wilson of Heart from the "Footloose" soundtrack was going to be included in this collection; thankfully it's not, cuz that would've been a deal breaker. I hate that song. Very Happy

Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

Loverboy - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Loverboy   Loverboy - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 17, 2012 1:12 pm

Those ballads are awesome...the middle-finger of friendship up to all of you! lol!

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

Loverboy - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Loverboy   Loverboy - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 17, 2012 1:52 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Dark Horseman wrote:

I was terrified that the ballad "Almost Paradise" w/their singer (Mike Reno) and Ann Wilson of Heart from the "Footloose" soundtrack was going to be included in this collection; thankfully it's not, cuz that would've been a deal breaker. I hate that song. Very Happy

I had forgotten that song existed until you mentioned it!!!! Hopefully I can forget it exists again.......
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

Loverboy - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Loverboy   Loverboy - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 17, 2012 8:38 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Dark Horseman wrote:

I do understand the contempt for that song, but my favorite Loverboy song happens to be a ballad, in that of "This Could Be the Night".
Back to top Go down
Getizzyback
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Getizzyback

Number of posts : 428

Loverboy - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Loverboy   Loverboy - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 17, 2012 11:09 pm

Great thread, great well "polished" band, and I'm Lovin Every Minute Of It!
Back to top Go down
80s Metal Lady
Metal master
Metal master
80s Metal Lady

Number of posts : 896

Loverboy - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Loverboy   Loverboy - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 05, 2012 8:01 pm

I've been a fan of Loverboy since I was a kid way back in the day. I like most of their singles (though, I agree that "Almost Paradise" is terrible) and have their '80s albums on vinyl and like most of the tracks off them. I saw them once in Chico, CA in the mid 1990s. I still have the t-shirt.

When I was a kid, I sometimes went to a roller skating rink called Cal Skate. They had time scheduled for "speed skating" where skaters would skate as fast as they could I (who could barely skate) would go to the food court for a red licorice and soda. They always played "Working For The Weekend" for the speed skating. Well, one time when I was in college, I went to another Cal Skate near the college for some sorority thing, I think. This was probably 12-15 years since my childhood days at Cal Skate. This was the late 1990s. Well, they had a speed skating session and, sure enough, they played "Working For The Weekend"! All those years and they never changed the song?? That made me laugh!

One song I really like by them that isn't as well-known is the title track off Wildside. It is so catchy and the bass just makes me want to get up and dance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGFCoIFmWJU

Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Loverboy - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Loverboy   Loverboy - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 05, 2012 10:34 pm

I remember speed skating in 8th grade. We got to request songs and I always asked for Van Halen.
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

Loverboy - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Loverboy   Loverboy - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 06, 2012 2:37 pm

Panama was always a favorite at our local skating rink. I can't be the only one who has fond memories of middle school dances and "Almost Paradise". It was tough getting a slow dance in at my Catholic school.

I've always had a soft spot for Loverboy. I just got that Wildside album and was shocked how much I liked it. Solid album. Was all set to puller the trigger on their latest as a result, but I'm no fan of re-recordings.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Loverboy - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Loverboy   Loverboy - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 06, 2012 2:55 pm

Dark Horseman wrote:
I remember speed skating in 8th grade. We got to request songs and I always asked for Van Halen.

Quote :
Panama was always a favorite at our local skating rink.

Ours was 'Crazy Train'. They would have all the guys clear the floor first and all the girls would skate to a Madonna song or something equally sh*tty and then it woud be the guys turn. Skate around as fast as you could while still playing air guitar.

Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Loverboy - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Loverboy   Loverboy - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 06, 2012 2:57 pm

Have you heard the new songs on that album? I'm wondering how they are but have been too lazy to check them out.
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Loverboy - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Loverboy   Loverboy - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 07, 2012 9:57 am

Rock N' Roll Revival is some prime Loverboy but the other two new ones didn't do a lot for me. And I'm certainly not buying nine re-recordings for just those three songs.

I would've loved Crazy Train for the speed skate. I'm sure at the time I would've requested some Ozzy. Don't think it ever happened though.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

Loverboy - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Loverboy   Loverboy - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 10, 2012 3:59 pm

tohostudios wrote:
I had all their albums back in the day but I find they haven't aged very well. The songs are strong but there's too much emphasis on keys IMO which sort of gives away the decade in which the music was recorded.
I've noticed a lot of the keyboard-heavy bands didn't age well. But I still dig the Loverboy hits. Can't put them on without enjoying them. And even the rest, in the right mood, are still enjoyable.
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Loverboy - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Loverboy   Loverboy - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 11, 2012 10:53 am

To me Loverboy is one of those groups who did the formula well. Nothing more. Nothing less. I actually enjoy the non-hits more these days. Fun to go back to an album like Keep It Up and songs like Prime Of Your Life that aren't as familiar as the hits.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Loverboy - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Loverboy   Loverboy - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Loverboy
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2