Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Man denied apartment because of the music he performs for a living

Go down 
+7
Temple of Blood
Fat Freddy
tohostudios
exact33
stepcousin
MetalGuy71
Required Fields
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

Man denied apartment because of the music he performs for a living Empty
PostSubject: Man denied apartment because of the music he performs for a living   Man denied apartment because of the music he performs for a living Icon_minitimeMon Jul 30, 2012 1:34 pm

http://www.aux.tv/2012/07/toronto-metal-musician-denied-an-apartment-because-hes-a-metal-musician/

Yipes. It's not like his band is even going to jam in the apartment. It's a violation of his rights.

Last edited by Required Fields on Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Man denied apartment because of the music he performs for a living   Man denied apartment because of the music he performs for a living Icon_minitimeMon Jul 30, 2012 1:58 pm

I'm assuming he was denied because his music blows.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stepcousin

Number of posts : 1268

PostSubject: Re: Man denied apartment because of the music he performs for a living   Man denied apartment because of the music he performs for a living Icon_minitimeMon Jul 30, 2012 6:47 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
I'm assuming he was denied because his music blows.

I was thinking the same thing.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: Man denied apartment because of the music he performs for a living   Man denied apartment because of the music he performs for a living Icon_minitimeMon Jul 30, 2012 6:52 pm

Required Fields wrote:
http://www.aux.tv/2012/07/toronto-metal-musician-denied-an-apartment-because-hes-a-metal-musician/

Yipes. It's not like his band is even going to jam in the apartment. It's a violation of his rights.

not terribly surprised. If you subscribe to the popular views, you tend to get discriminated against.

tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Man denied apartment because of the music he performs for a living   Man denied apartment because of the music he performs for a living Icon_minitimeMon Jul 30, 2012 7:01 pm

I know I'll probably get slammed for this but I don't care.

WHen I lived in Connecticut, I was renting a condo on the Long Island shore. Everything was great until a wannabe lead singer moved into the condo over mine. This chick wanted to be Melissa Etheridge and she would hook up a mike to her stereo and do karoake at 2 in the morning. At full volume.

If I never hear "Come To My WIndow" again in my lifetime, it will be too soon.

So yeah, I can understand the landlord's decision. I wish the landlord of the condo above mine had taken that stance.

The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: Man denied apartment because of the music he performs for a living   Man denied apartment because of the music he performs for a living Icon_minitimeMon Jul 30, 2012 7:06 pm

tohostudios wrote:

WHen I lived in Connecticut, I was renting a condo on the Long Island shore. Everything was great until a wannabe lead singer moved into the condo over mine. This chick wanted to be Melissa Etheridge and she would hook up a mike to her stereo and do karoake at 2 in the morning. At full volume.

So yeah, I can understand the landlord's decision. I wish the landlord of the condo above mine had taken that stance.

that post is a violation of the Human Rights Code!!!!!

just kidding

Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Man denied apartment because of the music he performs for a living   Man denied apartment because of the music he performs for a living Icon_minitimeMon Jul 30, 2012 7:50 pm

tohostudios wrote:

I can beat that. There's a family down the block from me whose adult son is, unfortunately, developmentally challenged, if you catch my drift.

Don't get me wrong, I've met the guy and he's always very nice (he answers the door every Halloween and always comments on my kids' cool costumes, then loads'em up with a sh*t load of candy)... but on the other hand, on warm spring and summer days he likes nothin' better than to hook up his karaoke machine, open all the windows, and wail along with the greatest hits of the '80s at the top of his lungs.

Trust me, you haven't lived till you've heard the best of Rick Springfield interpreted by someone who sings like "Corky" from "Life Goes On."

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Man denied apartment because of the music he performs for a living   Man denied apartment because of the music he performs for a living Icon_minitimeMon Jul 30, 2012 8:01 pm

People should be able to choose their own associations freely regardless of what you and I might happen to think about it. Take your business elsewhere.

Hardly a violation of anyone's rights. What right is supposedly being violated? The right to force yourself on people who don't want to be around you? You have a right to your life, your speech, and your property.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Man denied apartment because of the music he performs for a living   Man denied apartment because of the music he performs for a living Icon_minitimeMon Jul 30, 2012 8:08 pm

The landlord was very nervous about my guitars when she saw them, I had to reiterate several times that I would play them at a reasonable apartment volume.

Although in this instance it sounds like the potential landlords went internet searching and were scared off by the band's profile, which is a different set of circumstances I think.

Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Man denied apartment because of the music he performs for a living   Man denied apartment because of the music he performs for a living Icon_minitimeMon Jul 30, 2012 8:13 pm

i won't rent to musicians either. i also don't rent to college students.

DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Man denied apartment because of the music he performs for a living   Man denied apartment because of the music he performs for a living Icon_minitimeMon Jul 30, 2012 8:47 pm

mc666 wrote:
i won't rent to musicians either. i also don't rent to college students.

Good, a landlord should have discretion on who he/she rents to. Providing it's not due to race, nationality, or creed which in this country is illegal anyways.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Man denied apartment because of the music he performs for a living   Man denied apartment because of the music he performs for a living Icon_minitimeTue Jul 31, 2012 9:30 am

Years ago, I was denied renting an apartment because in the words of the landlord "We cater to older residents and I don't think a man of your age would fit it here". I was repectable looking and gainfully employed.

Did I cry that I was being descriminated because of my age? No. I went somewhere else and found a different apartment.

Kids today are a bunch whiney pussies.

Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Man denied apartment because of the music he performs for a living   Man denied apartment because of the music he performs for a living Icon_minitimeTue Jul 31, 2012 3:11 pm

Years ago I should've been denied an apartment but somehow I got in and once in it's almost impossible to get you out.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Man denied apartment because of the music he performs for a living   Man denied apartment because of the music he performs for a living Icon_minitimeTue Jul 31, 2012 5:10 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
tohostudios wrote:

I can beat that. There's a family down the block from me whose adult son is, unfortunately, developmentally challenged, if you catch my drift.

Don't get me wrong, I've met the guy and he's always very nice (he answers the door every Halloween and always comments on my kids' cool costumes, then loads'em up with a sh*t load of candy)... but on the other hand, on warm spring and summer days he likes nothin' better than to hook up his karaoke machine, open all the windows, and wail along with the greatest hits of the '80s at the top of his lungs.

Trust me, you haven't lived till you've heard the best of Rick Springfield interpreted by someone who sings like "Corky" from "Life Goes On."

People that own those things usually have no consideration for others. It sucks when they're just on the other side of the fence and like to open the windows.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Man denied apartment because of the music he performs for a living   Man denied apartment because of the music he performs for a living Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Man denied apartment because of the music he performs for a living
Page 1 of 1