Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Nile - At the Gate of Sethu

Go down 
+11
bassman
EmoElmo
metalhead777
Orion Crystal Ice
Temple of Blood
DallasBlack
James B.
rawr!
Wurthless
mc666
The_Jayroh
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
The_Jayroh
Metal master
Metal master
The_Jayroh

Number of posts : 823

Nile - At the Gate of Sethu Empty
PostSubject: Nile - At the Gate of Sethu   Nile - At the Gate of Sethu Icon_minitimeWed Jul 04, 2012 2:11 am

Nile's new album is one crazy and technical album. I never really expected them to do any different though. Every song sounds really tight and the production isn't very low end like most of their past albums.

So what does everyone else think?

Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1009170115&sk=info
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Nile - At the Gate of Sethu   Nile - At the Gate of Sethu Icon_minitimeWed Jul 04, 2012 3:10 am

i love it, but c'mon... no one else here at this particular forum is going to dig it.

Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

Number of posts : 5067

PostSubject: Re: Nile - At the Gate of Sethu   Nile - At the Gate of Sethu Icon_minitimeWed Jul 04, 2012 5:04 am

I dig some Nile, but I haven't got around to giving the new one a listen yet. That song you posted is killer, though.
Back to top Go down
rawr!
Metal graduate
Metal graduate

Number of posts : 372

PostSubject: Re: Nile - At the Gate of Sethu   Nile - At the Gate of Sethu Icon_minitimeWed Jul 04, 2012 8:08 am

im (way) behind on 2012 releases, but this is a particular lack i need to remedy quickly. i havent been as impressed with their later offerings, especially ithyphallic, but if this is at least on the level of their last one, id be satisfied. more nile, short of utter failure, is always something to enjoy.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: Nile - At the Gate of Sethu   Nile - At the Gate of Sethu Icon_minitimeWed Jul 04, 2012 8:38 am

perfect music for long road trips......speed limit here is 75 mph and most towns are hundreds miles apart

Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Nile - At the Gate of Sethu   Nile - At the Gate of Sethu Icon_minitimeWed Jul 04, 2012 2:00 pm

mc666 wrote:
i love it, but c'mon... no one else here at this particular forum is going to dig it.

I will, I quite liked For Whom The Gods Detest.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Nile - At the Gate of Sethu   Nile - At the Gate of Sethu Icon_minitimeWed Jul 04, 2012 3:01 pm

Pretty cool. Seen them live a few times and owned a few of their discs.

Glad the production allows the riffs to be heard this time.
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: Nile - At the Gate of Sethu   Nile - At the Gate of Sethu Icon_minitimeThu Jul 05, 2012 11:45 am

lol, 666 possibly doesn't notice many playlists or the irony that it's usually the extremophiles who are not into a lot else...

I will have a listen to this when I get home, but unless we're deviating from the Nile *blastblastblastblast fill fill fill blastblastblastblast ambient section* formula on this record, I won't really bother.... they need to make a whole album of songs like 'Annihilation of the Wicked', 'To Dream of Ur', 'Sarcophogus'..... dynamics.
Back to top Go down
metalhead777
Metal master
Metal master
metalhead777

Number of posts : 842

PostSubject: Re: Nile - At the Gate of Sethu   Nile - At the Gate of Sethu Icon_minitimeSat Jul 07, 2012 1:42 am

I've tried on at least 4 seperate occasions to get into nile.
But god, Karl Sanders guttural vocals just suck so much! Band would probably be among my favorites if he just stuck to guitar and standard death growls.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

PostSubject: Re: Nile - At the Gate of Sethu   Nile - At the Gate of Sethu Icon_minitimeSat Jul 07, 2012 2:14 am

Orion Crystal Ice wrote:
lol, 666 possibly doesn't notice many playlists or the irony that it's usually the extremophiles who are not into a lot else...
i do indeed notice the playlists here. i stand by my statement. BDM/TDM is not popular here at all. as for "extremophiles", i wouldn't know as anyone here can tell you, i like a lot of stuff. i'm not into scenes.

EmoElmo
Metal master
Metal master
EmoElmo

Number of posts : 626

PostSubject: Re: Nile - At the Gate of Sethu   Nile - At the Gate of Sethu Icon_minitimeSat Jul 07, 2012 2:59 am

BDM is only popular amongst younger people,...welll as for me, I only dig those DM bands that sounds like Dying Fetus
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

PostSubject: Re: Nile - At the Gate of Sethu   Nile - At the Gate of Sethu Icon_minitimeSat Jul 07, 2012 3:08 am

i just love music in general. of course, i'm an old man... i'm 32. so my opinion on popular culture is moot at this point. the stuff everyone ignores is what i'm attracted too though.

The_Jayroh
Metal master
Metal master
The_Jayroh

PostSubject: Re: Nile - At the Gate of Sethu   Nile - At the Gate of Sethu Icon_minitimeSat Jul 07, 2012 4:34 am

Orion Crystal Ice wrote:

I will have a listen to this when I get home, but unless we're deviating from the Nile *blastblastblastblast fill fill fill blastblastblastblast ambient section* formula on this record, I won't really bother.... they need to make a whole album of songs like 'Annihilation of the Wicked', 'To Dream of Ur', 'Sarcophogus'..... dynamics.

No they still play pretty much the same brand of stuff. It's good stuff to me though.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Nile - At the Gate of Sethu   Nile - At the Gate of Sethu Icon_minitimeSat Jul 07, 2012 12:56 pm

mc666 wrote:
i just love music in general. of course, i'm an old man... i'm 32. so my opinion on popular culture is moot at this point. the stuff everyone ignores is what i'm attracted too though.

If you are old then I'm ancient. lol!
Back to top Go down
bassman
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
bassman

Number of posts : 1939

PostSubject: Re: Nile - At the Gate of Sethu   Nile - At the Gate of Sethu Icon_minitimeSat Jul 07, 2012 4:40 pm

I like Nile quite a lot.......just listened to Black Seeds Of Vengeance the other day.
Back to top Go down
ShadowAngel
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
ShadowAngel

Number of posts : 445

PostSubject: Re: Nile - At the Gate of Sethu   Nile - At the Gate of Sethu Icon_minitimeSat Jul 07, 2012 5:57 pm

The_Jayroh wrote:

No they still play pretty much the same brand of stuff. It's good stuff to me though.

Agreed. I like Nile a lot and the new album sounds pretty good after the first listen Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.kingdomofdesire.de
Andy
Metal graduate
Metal graduate

Number of posts : 328

PostSubject: Re: Nile - At the Gate of Sethu   Nile - At the Gate of Sethu Icon_minitimeSun Jul 08, 2012 1:33 am

I love their first album. I discovered death metal with Nile, but I don't dig the technical stuff enough to listen to anything else by them, or any other technical death metal bands. Death is about as technical as I can handle.

Karl is a killer guitarist though and I really dig the Egyptian theme of his music.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Andy618
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Nile - At the Gate of Sethu   Nile - At the Gate of Sethu Icon_minitimeSun Jul 08, 2012 1:45 am

Not just the Egyptian theme. They also use traditional Egyptian instruments in some of their songs. Unlike metalhead777, I like the vocals as they stand apart from other death vocals. If he were to use traditional death growls, Nile would loose a lot of their charm.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

PostSubject: Re: Nile - At the Gate of Sethu   Nile - At the Gate of Sethu Icon_minitimeSun Jul 08, 2012 2:32 pm

mc666 wrote:

Monty, I own 5 Nile albums, will probably check this out.
Back to top Go down
allthingsmetal
Metal student
Metal student
allthingsmetal

Number of posts : 231

PostSubject: Re: Nile - At the Gate of Sethu   Nile - At the Gate of Sethu Icon_minitimeSun Jul 08, 2012 3:15 pm

Finally got a chance to listen to it all the way through. If you like Nile, then you will like this. There are things that are different though and one of those things (that I really like) is the ability to hear the guitar riffs better. They still throw a lot of interetsing stuff into their brand of BDM without going into Augury, Spawn of Possession, the Faceless-ish territory. (Not that they sound the same, mind you, but they seem to include a lot of cool stuff in their songs).
Also, I always thought that his vocals were better in the lower register. Oh well, that's why there is variety.
Back to top Go down
The_Jayroh
Metal master
Metal master
The_Jayroh

PostSubject: Re: Nile - At the Gate of Sethu   Nile - At the Gate of Sethu Icon_minitimeMon Jul 09, 2012 8:53 pm

I always liked the gutteral parts as well. After several listens now I think this album is much better than their last two. Both of the last two were really good too imo, but this one is just that much better. I wanna try and catch Nile live if they come near Nashville or Atlanta again. Nile has to be one of the more intense bands I've seen live.
Back to top Go down
metalhead777
Metal master
Metal master
metalhead777

PostSubject: Re: Nile - At the Gate of Sethu   Nile - At the Gate of Sethu Icon_minitimeTue Jul 10, 2012 7:36 pm

Well, I think I might give Nile another shot, going to the good old record store today so are there any specific Nile albums I should pick up?
Hopefully I can adjust to them this time. I did it for Suffocation, I did it for Behemoth, so I can probably adjust to this with repeated listens.
Back to top Go down
The_Jayroh
Metal master
Metal master
The_Jayroh

PostSubject: Re: Nile - At the Gate of Sethu   Nile - At the Gate of Sethu Icon_minitimeTue Jul 10, 2012 7:49 pm

metalhead777 wrote:
Well, I think I might give Nile another shot, going to the good old record store today so are there any specific Nile albums I should pick up?
Hopefully I can adjust to them this time. I did it for Suffocation, I did it for Behemoth, so I can probably adjust to this with repeated listens.

First one I listened to by Nile was Annihilation of the Wicked. Never stopped listening to em since.
Back to top Go down
metalhead777
Metal master
Metal master
metalhead777

PostSubject: Re: Nile - At the Gate of Sethu   Nile - At the Gate of Sethu Icon_minitimeTue Jul 10, 2012 11:21 pm

The_Jayroh wrote:
metalhead777 wrote:

First one I listened to by Nile was Annihilation of the Wicked. Never stopped listening to em since.
Well, I'm managing to listen without being annoyed. Guess it might be because Behemoth in a lot of ways kind of feels like "Nile Lite".
Went ahead and nabbed the new album as well.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Nile - At the Gate of Sethu   Nile - At the Gate of Sethu Icon_minitimeWed Jul 11, 2012 1:04 am

The vocals in this band don't really matter IMHO.

They're atonal and hardly catchy at all.

Luckily the band (and most good DM bands) know this and try to write good music to compensate.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Nile - At the Gate of Sethu   Nile - At the Gate of Sethu Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Nile - At the Gate of Sethu
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next