Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Def Leppard To Re-Record the Hits

Go down 
+14
Shawn Of Fire
thejokeriv
Required Fields
manny
Addy
EmoElmo
exact33
Dark Horseman
stormspell
Wargod
Lari
A Handful of Wayne
Eyesore
MetalGuy71
18 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

Def Leppard To Re-Record the Hits - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard To Re-Record the Hits   Def Leppard To Re-Record the Hits - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 27, 2012 11:52 am

Eyesore wrote:
thejokeriv wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
Um...he played real drums on Pyromania. He had two arms then.
He did use real drums, but accroding to interview I read, it was the same deal - recorded against a click track, played one drum at a time on multiple passes..... ti was a Mutt Lange thing
That's not even sensible. If true, why the hell would a producer even do that?

Mixing...being able to adjust the volume of/pan each drum and cymbal individually.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard To Re-Record the Hits   Def Leppard To Re-Record the Hits - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 27, 2012 11:59 am

My whole point is that Joe says they want to make "100% forgeries" of the originals and not make any noticble changes.

Is that even possible to re-create some of the techniques used 30 years ago? Or would you really want to? It just seems silly to me to make that kind of statement. You can't re-create the past.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard To Re-Record the Hits   Def Leppard To Re-Record the Hits - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 27, 2012 12:04 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
thejokeriv wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
He did use real drums, but accroding to interview I read, it was the same deal - recorded against a click track, played one drum at a time on multiple passes..... ti was a Mutt Lange thing

Mixing...being able to adjust the volume of/pan each drum and cymbal individually.

Good point but it still strikes me as insanity, you get a chance watch the Classic Albums the making of Hysteria, very interesting how those songs were put together, and how much piecing together was done with the multiple layer of guitars, vocals, and drums
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard To Re-Record the Hits   Def Leppard To Re-Record the Hits - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 27, 2012 12:31 pm

manny wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
thejokeriv wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

Good point but it still strikes me as insanity, you get a chance watch the Classic Albums the making of Hysteria, very interesting how those songs were put together, and how much piecing together was done with the multiple layer of guitars, vocals, and drums
Right. It's not sensible! Haha. Sounds like an epic pain in the ass. I realize Rick was never the most complex drummer, but it still seems like a whole lot of unnecessary work.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard To Re-Record the Hits   Def Leppard To Re-Record the Hits - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 27, 2012 12:59 pm

Speaking of producers, does any of the material that band had worked on with Jim Steinmen ever surfaced anywhere?
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard To Re-Record the Hits   Def Leppard To Re-Record the Hits - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 27, 2012 1:05 pm

manny wrote:
Speaking of producers, does any of the material that band had worked on with Jim Steinmen ever surfaced anywhere?

I thought that some of it ended up on Retroactive
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard To Re-Record the Hits   Def Leppard To Re-Record the Hits - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 27, 2012 2:15 pm

manny wrote:
Not that I'm aware of. Not sure any ended up on Retro Active, either. But I do know "Desert Song" and "Fractured Love" were from the Hysteria sessions but never finished at the time, so maybe those are from the Steinmen sessions. They're definitely different from the stuff on Hysteria. Two of their best songs, in my opinion. "Fracture Love" is in my top 5 Lep tunes.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard To Re-Record the Hits   Def Leppard To Re-Record the Hits - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 27, 2012 2:28 pm

Eyesore wrote:
manny wrote:
Not that I'm aware of. Not sure any ended up on Retro Active, either. But I do know "Desert Song" and "Fractured Love" were from the Hysteria sessions but never finished at the time, so maybe those are from the Steinmen sessions. They're definitely different from the stuff on Hysteria. Two of their best songs, in my opinion. "Fracture Love" is in my top 5 Lep tunes.

I thought those were the two they started with Steinmen before they fired him and then continued working on by themselves. Fractured Love is a GREAT song!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard To Re-Record the Hits   Def Leppard To Re-Record the Hits - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 27, 2012 2:45 pm

thejokeriv wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
manny wrote:
I thought those were the two they started with Steinmen before they fired him and then continued working on by themselves. Fractured Love is a GREAT song!!!!!
They might be. If so, it makes you wonder what other great tunes they abandoned. I know Steinmen wanted to do a more raw, old-school rock record and they wanted to go more toward the Lange style. Obviously that worked out great for them, but there might be a lot of gems in the vault.

I'd love to see some of the early demo get official releases.

Love that song!
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard To Re-Record the Hits   Def Leppard To Re-Record the Hits - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 29, 2012 7:12 am

manny wrote:
Addy wrote:
I really dislike this practice that bands have been taking in re-recording stuff. Alot of the fans fell in love with the songs as they were done originally. I guess this practice is to try to get new fans or something or make money I find the practice to be lame city

I am with you on this one, I hate the trend of re-recording your classics, but from a business stand point, I understand it, its their songs and if they wish to license it to movies, why should they cut in anyone else such as the label etc.

I understand why they do it too i just dont like it Smile For me I lost most interest in Def Leppard after Adrenelize. And one point I want to make is that Without Steve Clark (RIP) the songs they re-record with him in it are going to sound a bit different because Steve's not shredding that Axe
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard To Re-Record the Hits   Def Leppard To Re-Record the Hits - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 29, 2012 7:54 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:

What? You can do the same thing having the drummer play the kit normally. Generally by the time you got to the 80s the common thing was to have a mic on every single drum, plus a hi-hat mic and overhead stereo mics to capture the cymbals. That allows you to put different effects on each drum, pan and adjust volume.

In reality though, the best sounding drum recordings (in my opinion) use a kick drum mic, a snare mic and 2 overheads. All you need is 4 mics expertly placed and a great room to get a killer drum sound.

I can't see how Mutt Lange was able to capture any kind of feel recording every drum separately, that's just f*cking stupid.

Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard To Re-Record the Hits   Def Leppard To Re-Record the Hits - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2013 12:55 am

If anyone cares, Def Leppard just released a new version of "Hysteria."

They're also playing "Good Morning Freedom" at this Vegas thing, which is pretty surprising.

I've always loved this song.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard To Re-Record the Hits   Def Leppard To Re-Record the Hits - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2013 1:10 am

And this is kind of neat:

This song has been discussed over and over again for decades now and no audio ever turned up. Until now. Or December. Prior to this, it was only a rumor.

Still not sure if it's an original or cover, though.
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard To Re-Record the Hits   Def Leppard To Re-Record the Hits - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2013 12:01 pm

Do you have Good Morning Freedom? I think it's only been released as a B side though i'm sure it's out there to download now.
Long Way From Home sounds like it's being played through an AM transistor radio. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard To Re-Record the Hits   Def Leppard To Re-Record the Hits - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2013 2:57 pm

Dark Horseman wrote:
Do you have Good Morning Freedom? I think it's only been released as a B side though i'm sure it's out there to download now.
Long Way From Home sounds like it's being played through an AM transistor radio. Very Happy
I have the song, not the "Hello America" single it's from. And "Long Way from Home" was played live one time, just like the song "Medicine Man," which later became "Rock! Rock! (Till You Drop)." I think at the same show, actually. Both at the Reading Festival, anyway.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard To Re-Record the Hits   Def Leppard To Re-Record the Hits - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2013 4:12 pm

Eyesore wrote:

They're also playing "Good Morning Freedom" at this Vegas thing, which is pretty surprising.

They also played Wasted live, and not one, not two, but FOUR songs off of High 'N' Dry. I am surprised they'd represent that era of the band as much as they did live nowadays.

For the longest time, it's been nothing off of the first album, and MAYBE "Bringin' on the Heartbreak" off of High 'N' Dry. It's weird they actually decided to play songs off of those albums again.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard To Re-Record the Hits   Def Leppard To Re-Record the Hits - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2013 5:08 pm

And hey, DL isn't metal. Def Leppard To Re-Record the Hits - Page 2 911681
Back to top Go down
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

Number of posts : 2998

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard To Re-Record the Hits   Def Leppard To Re-Record the Hits - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2013 7:49 pm

Saxon did this and I bought it. Not even close to the glory that are the originals. But, like Ken, ya support your favorite artists and hope they grab some new fans with the production value that re-recording brings.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard To Re-Record the Hits   Def Leppard To Re-Record the Hits - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2013 9:02 pm

Eyesore wrote:

Cool track! Never heard it before.
Back to top Go down
journeyman
Metal master
Metal master
journeyman

Number of posts : 883

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard To Re-Record the Hits   Def Leppard To Re-Record the Hits - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2013 9:57 pm

Wouldn't it just make sense to buy the tapes and/or rights from the record company. There is no way to create a 100% forgery 30 years later. It's not even the same lineup and the drummer doesn't have the same abilities. Not a good idea. They need to call up Sharon Osbourne and get some tips on how to get control of their catalog.
Back to top Go down
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

Number of posts : 2998

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard To Re-Record the Hits   Def Leppard To Re-Record the Hits - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2013 10:09 pm

journeyman wrote:
They need to call up Sharon Osbourne and get some tips on how to get control of their catalog.

No offense [maybe a little actually], but that is a complete dick-statement. Sharon Osbourne has done nothing for the Ozzy legacy other than line her own pockets. The re-issues that she PW'd outta the labels to screw Kerslake/Daisley over are, in my mind, the Ultimate Sin. I have absolutely NO RESPECT for Trujillo or Bordin [previously two of my favs] for "getting into line" on that cashgrab either.
Back to top Go down
journeyman
Metal master
Metal master
journeyman

Number of posts : 883

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard To Re-Record the Hits   Def Leppard To Re-Record the Hits - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2013 10:51 pm

UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS wrote:
journeyman wrote:
They need to call up Sharon Osbourne and get some tips on how to get control of their catalog.

No offense [maybe a little actually], but that is a complete dick-statement. Sharon Osbourne has done nothing for the Ozzy legacy other than line her own pockets. The re-issues that she PW'd outta the labels to screw Kerslake/Daisley over are, in my mind, the Ultimate Sin. I have absolutely NO RESPECT for Trujillo or Bordin [previously two of my favs] for "getting into line" on that cashgrab either.

Completely not what I meant. I totally disagree with re-recording the bass/drums on Ozzy's first two solo albums. Not my intention at all to even imply that either. I know from a business prospective Sharon has been rather successful in getting/keeping control of Ozzy's music and that maybe looking for some ideas on how to get their music back would be a better alternative to re-recording. I don't like or condone many of Sharon's actions. Anyway, wouldn't re-recording their (Def Leppard) albums have the same effect on past members and/or their estates. Ozzy really blew it by allowing the substitutions and can't claim ignorance because he listened to the mastered product(s) and was aware of the re-recordings. It's pretty clear that Def Leppard is willing to tread on Hollowed ground not because the tapes were destroyed, damaged or lost, but because they made a foolish deal back in their youth and instead of correcting it when they had the power of commercial success behind them they are going to the table with little bargaining power.

Didn't mean to offend, I wasn't looking at it that way, so yeah it was a bad statement. My thought process was that maybe Sharon could offer tips on increasing the bargaining power, that's all.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard To Re-Record the Hits   Def Leppard To Re-Record the Hits - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2013 2:42 am

journeyman wrote:
Wouldn't it just make sense to buy the tapes and/or rights from the record company.

The record company has no desire to surrender their rights to a lucrative piece of property, they would simply ask for a ridiculous amount of money that nobody would pay. It's the way the game is played.

You want your masters back? Write us a check for $100 million dollars.

Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard To Re-Record the Hits   Def Leppard To Re-Record the Hits - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2013 4:37 pm

journeyman wrote:
Wouldn't it just make sense to buy the tapes and/or rights from the record company. There is no way to create a 100% forgery 30 years later. It's not even the same lineup and the drummer doesn't have the same abilities. Not a good idea. They need to call up Sharon Osbourne and get some tips on how to get control of their catalog.
Do you really think it's that easy? One of best-selling albums of all time, a perpetual money maker, and the label is just going to up and sell it? Not a chance in hell. Labels won't even sell back the rights to albums that have never been released by bands that have never put out another piece of music!

So yeah, this is a good idea. It's the best alternative they have.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard To Re-Record the Hits   Def Leppard To Re-Record the Hits - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2013 4:47 pm

Didn't Motley Crue buy back their masters ? They reissued the back catalog before "New Tattoo" on Motley Records and I don't see any mention of Elektra on them ? Just curious !

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard To Re-Record the Hits   Def Leppard To Re-Record the Hits - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Def Leppard To Re-Record the Hits
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next