Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Def Leppard To Re-Record the Hits

Go down 
+14
Shawn Of Fire
thejokeriv
Required Fields
manny
Addy
EmoElmo
exact33
Dark Horseman
stormspell
Wargod
Lari
A Handful of Wayne
Eyesore
MetalGuy71
18 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Def Leppard To Re-Record the Hits Empty
PostSubject: Def Leppard To Re-Record the Hits   Def Leppard To Re-Record the Hits Icon_minitimeTue Jun 26, 2012 3:59 pm

Well, at least Joe's being upfront about it and saying it's for business/money reasons.

Quote :
They recently rolled out new versions of Pour Some Sugar on Me and Rock of Ages, but singer Joe Elliott says that’s just the start.

He calls the move is a “sensible business decision” – but admits trying to make accurate reproductions is hard work.

Elliott tells MTV Hive: “How can I put this politely? We were having a major disagreement with out ex record label about the digital rights for our back catalogue. We couldn’t come to a mutual understanding that seemed fair for both sides.

“So we finally decided to re-record all our hits. We started with Sugar and Rock of Ages and I think we did a pretty good job – but it’s hard work trying to recreate something you did 30 years ago.

Def Lep’s aim is to create “100% forgeries” of their originals, and the singer insists it would be a mistake to try changing any aspect of the tracks.

“It’s not like a live version where everything a bit looser and you’ve got the ad libs, the longer guitar solos and the crowd in the background. We were very conscious of the fact that when people download our songs from iTunes they want it to sound like they remember it.

“There’s nothing worse than being let down by an artist you love. There’s a guy called Andrew Gold – back in the seventies he had a song called Lonely Boy that’s just wonderful. When we were on tour it popped into my head, so I went to download what I thought was the original. I ended up getting a re-recording. It was like a crappy karaoke version.”

Elliott maintains it would be “pretty sad” to try reshooting videos to go with the new tracks. He says: “It’s easy to reproduce the sound and get it to match – but we can’t go in a time machine and get rid of the wrinkles. We are what we are. I’m 52; I’ll be 53 in a few months. It would be ridiculous.”

Can Joe still hit some of those notes? And I wonder how far back they'll go when it comes to redoing the "hits"? Will they include anything before Pyromania? Was 'Bringing on a Heartbreak' their first legitimate radio hit?

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard To Re-Record the Hits   Def Leppard To Re-Record the Hits Icon_minitimeTue Jun 26, 2012 4:16 pm

Yeah, I guess it's refreshing to hear some honesty about why they're doing this, but at the same time it's hard to get excited over. Sure, they did a good job with the other two, but there's also something less than satisfying about those recordings. They just don't hit the sweet spot, you know.

And that's mainly due to Joe's vocals. He was never the greatest singer, and his higher register was unnatural for him. Mutt's the one who pushed him to sing like that. He just can't do it anymore, and the overall sound he has now is too throaty for those old songs.

I don't know. I'll buy it all, I imagine, but I won't be entirely happy about it. Haha.
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard To Re-Record the Hits   Def Leppard To Re-Record the Hits Icon_minitimeTue Jun 26, 2012 7:16 pm

The 2 songs they have out now that they rerecorded actually don't sound too bad. I approve.

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard To Re-Record the Hits   Def Leppard To Re-Record the Hits Icon_minitimeTue Jun 26, 2012 7:30 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Was 'Bringing on a Heartbreak' their first legitimate radio hit?

If I remember correctly that song didn't take off until after High N Dry was re-issued in 1984. After Pyromania became a huge hit that album was reissued and Bringin' On The Heartbreak and Me & My Wine were remixed and the band filmed new videos for them.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard To Re-Record the Hits   Def Leppard To Re-Record the Hits Icon_minitimeTue Jun 26, 2012 7:45 pm

A great opportunity to redo those god-awful drums.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard To Re-Record the Hits   Def Leppard To Re-Record the Hits Icon_minitimeTue Jun 26, 2012 8:08 pm

S.D. wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
Was 'Bringing on a Heartbreak' their first legitimate radio hit?

If I remember correctly that song didn't take off until after High N Dry was re-issued in 1984. After Pyromania became a huge hit that album was reissued and Bringin' On The Heartbreak and Me & My Wine were remixed and the band filmed new videos for them.
True. The hit was the version with Phil and keyboards. The original single did little for them.

Back to top Go down
Wargod
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard To Re-Record the Hits   Def Leppard To Re-Record the Hits Icon_minitimeTue Jun 26, 2012 9:51 pm

Well I think the band is hurting for money. I really only like 2 of their cds!

Metalwargod
Back to top Go down
stormspell
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stormspell

Number of posts : 1593

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard To Re-Record the Hits   Def Leppard To Re-Record the Hits Icon_minitimeTue Jun 26, 2012 10:01 pm

I understand and acknowledge their reasons, although I would never fork the cash for digital re-recordings. I own the originals and that's all I need.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cdbaby.com/all/stormspell
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard To Re-Record the Hits   Def Leppard To Re-Record the Hits Icon_minitimeTue Jun 26, 2012 10:06 pm

I'm with Stormspell, those originals aren't so bad I need rerecordings.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard To Re-Record the Hits   Def Leppard To Re-Record the Hits Icon_minitimeTue Jun 26, 2012 10:48 pm

stormspell wrote:
I understand and acknowledge their reasons, although I would never fork the cash for digital re-recordings. I own the originals and that's all I need.

well said. I wont be buying these. Some bands have done a good job with the re-recordings though...

Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard To Re-Record the Hits   Def Leppard To Re-Record the Hits Icon_minitimeTue Jun 26, 2012 11:07 pm

Wargod wrote:

Metalwargod
I highly doubt that, sir. If they were hurting for money they'd have to be some of the dumbest, most financially irresponsible turds out there.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard To Re-Record the Hits   Def Leppard To Re-Record the Hits Icon_minitimeTue Jun 26, 2012 11:08 pm

exact33 wrote:
stormspell wrote:
well said. I wont be buying these. Some bands have done a good job with the re-recordings though...
Testament. I wish they'd go and re-record everything up through The Ritual in that heavier style.
Back to top Go down
EmoElmo
Metal master
Metal master
EmoElmo

Number of posts : 626

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard To Re-Record the Hits   Def Leppard To Re-Record the Hits Icon_minitimeWed Jun 27, 2012 1:25 am

Eyesore wrote:
Wargod wrote:

Metalwargod
I highly doubt that, sir. If they were hurting for money they'd have to be some of the dumbest, most financially irresponsible turds out there.

I don't know how much of the Royalty pie they take, but if it's such a lesser amount, then the project's done because of financial reasons, besides, musicians in general arent the wisest investors out there, few only make it big and most of them fail

Add substance abuse and gambling habits to that, a million dollars is like, would last only few months of good time

Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard To Re-Record the Hits   Def Leppard To Re-Record the Hits Icon_minitimeWed Jun 27, 2012 1:38 am

Of course it's done for financial reasons. Nothing wrong with more money. Haha.
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard To Re-Record the Hits   Def Leppard To Re-Record the Hits Icon_minitimeWed Jun 27, 2012 7:46 am

I really dislike this practice that bands have been taking in re-recording stuff. Alot of the fans fell in love with the songs as they were done originally. I guess this practice is to try to get new fans or something or make money I find the practice to be lame city
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard To Re-Record the Hits   Def Leppard To Re-Record the Hits Icon_minitimeWed Jun 27, 2012 8:41 am

Addy wrote:
I really dislike this practice that bands have been taking in re-recording stuff. Alot of the fans fell in love with the songs as they were done originally. I guess this practice is to try to get new fans or something or make money I find the practice to be lame city

I am with you on this one, I hate the trend of re-recording your classics, but from a business stand point, I understand it, its their songs and if they wish to license it to movies, why should they cut in anyone else such as the label etc.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard To Re-Record the Hits   Def Leppard To Re-Record the Hits Icon_minitimeWed Jun 27, 2012 9:39 am

manny wrote:
Addy wrote:

I am with you on this one, I hate the trend of re-recording your classics, but from a business stand point, I understand it, its their songs and if they wish to license it to movies, why should they cut in anyone else such as the label etc.

I'm pretty much in this camp as well. I get why they do it, but generally speaking I'm not a fan of the re-recordings, especially if the originals were favorites of mine to begin with.

With Def Leppard, even though I have a few of their albums, the only 2 that get regular spins from me are the first 2. I can't imagine that they could, or even attempt to improve on those.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard To Re-Record the Hits   Def Leppard To Re-Record the Hits Icon_minitimeWed Jun 27, 2012 9:44 am

Lari wrote:

Interesting dilema. According to Joe, they won't...

Quote :
Def Lep’s aim is to create “100% forgeries” of their originals, and the singer insists it would be a mistake to try changing any aspect of the tracks.

“It’s not like a live version where everything a bit looser and you’ve got the ad libs, the longer guitar solos and the crowd in the background. We were very conscious of the fact that when people download our songs from iTunes they want it to sound like they remember it.

So Rick Allen is going to use the same electric pads and pedals instead of a real drum kit to re-record the drum tracks? I find that a little hard to believe.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard To Re-Record the Hits   Def Leppard To Re-Record the Hits Icon_minitimeWed Jun 27, 2012 10:54 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Well, at least Joe's being upfront about it and saying it's for business/money reasons.

Quote :
They recently rolled out new versions of Pour Some Sugar on Me and Rock of Ages, but singer Joe Elliott says that’s just the start.

He calls the move is a “sensible business decision” – but admits trying to make accurate reproductions is hard work.

Elliott tells MTV Hive: “How can I put this politely? We were having a major disagreement with out ex record label about the digital rights for our back catalogue. We couldn’t come to a mutual understanding that seemed fair for both sides.

“So we finally decided to re-record all our hits. We started with Sugar and Rock of Ages and I think we did a pretty good job – but it’s hard work trying to recreate something you did 30 years ago.

“There’s nothing worse than being let down by an artist you love. There’s a guy called Andrew Gold – back in the seventies he had a song called Lonely Boy that’s just wonderful. When we were on tour it popped into my head, so I went to download what I thought was the original. I ended up getting a re-recording. It was like a crappy karaoke version.”

Elliott maintains it would be “pretty sad” to try reshooting videos to go with the new tracks. He says: “It’s easy to reproduce the sound and get it to match – but we can’t go in a time machine and get rid of the wrinkles. We are what we are. I’m 52; I’ll be 53 in a few months. It would be ridiculous.”

Can Joe still hit some of those notes? And I wonder how far back they'll go when it comes to redoing the "hits"? Will they include anything before Pyromania? Was 'Bringing on a Heartbreak' their first legitimate radio hit?

I don't see them re-recording anything before Pyromania apart from "Bringin' on the Heartbreak". As they've said in interviews as to why nothing gets performed live off of On Through the Night and High 'N' Dry anymore (apart from "Bringin' on the Heartbreak"): "Most of the fans probably don't know those songs, and those who do probably wouldn't want to hear them."

I'd say the same applies to this re-recordings album.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard To Re-Record the Hits   Def Leppard To Re-Record the Hits Icon_minitimeWed Jun 27, 2012 11:03 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Lari wrote:

Interesting dilema. According to Joe, they won't...

Quote :

So Rick Allen is going to use the same electric pads and pedals instead of a real drum kit to re-record the drum tracks? I find that a little hard to believe.

He didn't even really play drums on Pryo or Hysteria, they used a drum machine track that he played one drum or cymbal each pass of the tape until they got a whole set.........
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard To Re-Record the Hits   Def Leppard To Re-Record the Hits Icon_minitimeWed Jun 27, 2012 11:25 am

Um...he played real drums on Pyromania. He had two arms then.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard To Re-Record the Hits   Def Leppard To Re-Record the Hits Icon_minitimeWed Jun 27, 2012 11:31 am

Eyesore wrote:

He did use real drums, but accroding to interview I read, it was the same deal - recorded against a click track, played one drum at a time on multiple passes..... ti was a Mutt Lange thing
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard To Re-Record the Hits   Def Leppard To Re-Record the Hits Icon_minitimeWed Jun 27, 2012 11:34 am

Mutt Lange produced AC/DC , with Bon Scott and Brian Johnson, how come you don't hear of him doing that crap with them, recording one drum, cymbal at a time, recording one vocal line over and over, I can't argue with successful but it seems almost insane to record like that.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard To Re-Record the Hits   Def Leppard To Re-Record the Hits Icon_minitimeWed Jun 27, 2012 11:37 am

manny wrote:
Mutt Lange produced AC/DC , with Bon Scott and Brian Johnson, how come you don't hear of him doing that crap with them, recording one drum, cymbal at a time, recording one vocal line over and over, I can't argue with successful but it seems almost insane to record like that.

He was a young producer at the time and AC/DC said "No thank you" to a lot of his "suggestions" (i.e. changing the pace of "You Shook Me", etc). By the time he got to Def Leppard, he would do what ever he wanted. Def Lep was only on their second album and did what ever he asked. AC/DC, we'll it was Bon Frakin' Scott and Angus Frakin' Young - if they don't like an idea, they won't do it!
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard To Re-Record the Hits   Def Leppard To Re-Record the Hits Icon_minitimeWed Jun 27, 2012 11:45 am

thejokeriv wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
He did use real drums, but accroding to interview I read, it was the same deal - recorded against a click track, played one drum at a time on multiple passes..... ti was a Mutt Lange thing
That's not even sensible. If true, why the hell would a producer even do that?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard To Re-Record the Hits   Def Leppard To Re-Record the Hits Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Def Leppard To Re-Record the Hits
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next