Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Punk Rock

Go down 
+11
manny
mc666
tohostudios
Fat Freddy
jstate
MetalGuy71
Hadley
thejokeriv
Orion Crystal Ice
jettafiend
Shawn Of Fire
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

Punk Rock Empty
PostSubject: Punk Rock   Punk Rock Icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2012 4:15 pm

Pandora is teaching me about Punk Rock: Dead Kennedys, Black Flag, The Misfits, The Damned, The Ramones, Johnny Thunders, The Clash, 45 Grave, Sex Pistols, Generation X, Buzzcocks, Agent Orange...

I never thought I would like so much of it... \'arry \'eadbanger

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

Number of posts : 1137

Punk Rock Empty
PostSubject: Re: Punk Rock   Punk Rock Icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2012 4:20 pm

Punk Rock is BRILLIANT! I love it (mostly). As with every genre, there is a ton of garbage to sift through, but for the most part it's fantastic.

I highly recommend:

Social Distortion
The Adolescents
Youth Brigade
TSOL
The Vandals
Rancid
The Street Dogs
The Bouncing Souls
Dropkick Murphy's
Flatfoot 56
Back to top Go down

Punk Rock Empty
PostSubject: Re: Punk Rock   Punk Rock Icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2012 4:23 pm

There is a bunch of punk stuff I've liked over the years, enjoy the songwriting and attitude. It's a style of music though that I don't feel the need to actually have any in my collection, when I hear it someplace I enjoy it, but I never get in the mood to listen to it at home.

Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

Punk Rock Empty
PostSubject: Re: Punk Rock   Punk Rock Icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2012 4:24 pm

A little lacking for me musically but I don't mind some of it. And ironically, because of the definition in itself, it's hard to find something from the present day which is not a genre exercise. I get very interested when it's merged with other styles a'la the Clash.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Punk Rock Empty
PostSubject: Re: Punk Rock   Punk Rock Icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2012 4:34 pm

I'll never become a scholar of the genre...but I find myself enjoying some of it enough to get some collections...Ramones Anthology, Essential Clash, Misfits collection 1 & 2, etc...

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

Punk Rock Empty
PostSubject: Re: Punk Rock   Punk Rock Icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2012 4:44 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Pandora is teaching me about Punk Rock: Dead Kennedys, Black Flag, The Misfits, The Damned, The Ramones, Johnny Thunders, The Clash, 45 Grave, Sex Pistols, Generation X, Buzzcocks, Agent Orange...

I never thought I would like so much of it... \'arry \'eadbanger

Some great punk music \m/ A friend and I used to sit around and listen to each other's much in high school - he'd play Deak Kennedys, I'd play Maiden, He'd play Black Flag and I'd play Motorhead.

To this day, we both like each other's favorite music (his punk, my metal)
Back to top Go down
jettafiend
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

Number of posts : 1137

Punk Rock Empty
PostSubject: Re: Punk Rock   Punk Rock Icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2012 4:45 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
I'll never become a scholar of the genre...but I find myself enjoying some of it enough to get some collections...Ramones Anthology, Essential Clash, Misfits collection 1 & 2, etc...

If you can find it, look for a collection called "Stagediving to the oldies" great early So-Cal punk compilation. Any of the Epitaph Punk-O-Rama samplers or Give 'Em the Boot samplers are a good bet also. The compilations usually have the best of the bands on them, and is good place to start.
Back to top Go down
Hadley
Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 991

Punk Rock Empty
PostSubject: Re: Punk Rock   Punk Rock Icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2012 4:52 pm

Another good compilation if you like 80s punk is the soundtrack album to "Repo Man". Its not neccesary to watch the movie to like the soundtrack, and theres lots of classics on there (tv party, institutionalized, lets have a war, etc).
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Punk Rock Empty
PostSubject: Re: Punk Rock   Punk Rock Icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2012 4:58 pm

I heard allot of punk music in art school. Some I liked, some I didn't. Most of the hardcore shouting stuff didn't appeal to me. One dude in particular I used to hang out with schooled me in the different "styles" of punk. Hardcore, 70's, psychobilly, etc.

Most of the cds I got back then have gone away. The only punk I listen to nowadays is Ramones, Danzig-era Misfits, Social Distortion and early Iggy Pop with the Stooges. And New York Dolls, if they count. Most of the 70's-era stuff I've heard is pretty decent.

I remember the first time I really listened to the Ramones and thought, "This isn't punk. It's Chuck Berry played a little faster. Sounds like rock n' roll to me." At the time, my idea of what was punk was the 80's hardcore shouting stuff.

Punk Rock Empty
PostSubject: Re: Punk Rock   Punk Rock Icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2012 5:02 pm

50s rock and roll and punk are VERY close together stylistically. Punk was supposed to be a return to "the roots" before rock music "grew up", so going back to stuff like Chuck Berry, Jerry Lee Lewis, Little Richard makes perfect sense.

For me to really enjoy punk I have to either be at a punk rock show, or at a party or some other social event. There are several types of music that I only respond to in this way.
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

Punk Rock Empty
PostSubject: Re: Punk Rock   Punk Rock Icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2012 5:49 pm

It was my skater friends who turned me onto a lot stuff in the 80's. Also The Exploited's Live At The White House was a big gateway to punk for me. I loved when those punk bands started incorporating metal elements into their sound.

Of the more recent stuff I've become a big fan of Total Chaos and The Casualties. Nothing original or ground breaking but definitely good throw-back style.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37644

Punk Rock Empty
PostSubject: Re: Punk Rock   Punk Rock Icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2012 7:07 pm

Y'all know I love me some Ramones, Misfits, Anti-Nowhere League, etc. ... I've never really dug deeply into the genre (maybe I should start) though.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

Punk Rock Empty
PostSubject: Re: Punk Rock   Punk Rock Icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2012 7:39 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Y'all know I love me some Ramones, Misfits, Anti-Nowhere League, etc. ... I've never really dug deeply into the genre (maybe I should start) though.

If you like those bands, you would like the deeper bands. Dead Kennedys and Black Flag are a great place to start
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

Punk Rock Empty
PostSubject: Re: Punk Rock   Punk Rock Icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2012 7:55 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:

I never thought I would like so much of it... Punk Rock 778825

Punk Rock 778825 As long as there's a melody I'm down with punk rock. Buzzcocks are great! Check out 999, Radio Stars and The Boys too.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37644

Punk Rock Empty
PostSubject: Re: Punk Rock   Punk Rock Icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2012 8:16 pm

thejokeriv wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

If you like those bands, you would like the deeper bands. Dead Kennedys and Black Flag are a great place to start

I've heard DK, Black Flag, and lots 'n' lots of others over the years, but don't own any of their stuff.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

Punk Rock Empty
PostSubject: Re: Punk Rock   Punk Rock Icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2012 9:54 pm

i LOVE punk, especially the raw hardcore variety. the way it's supposed to be imo.

Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Punk Rock Empty
PostSubject: Re: Punk Rock   Punk Rock Icon_minitimeWed Jun 20, 2012 8:32 am

tohostudios wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:

I never thought I would like so much of it... Punk Rock 778825

Punk Rock 778825 As long as there's a melody I'm down with punk rock. Buzzcocks are great! Check out 999, Radio Stars and The Boys too.

Yeah, I tend to lean toward the more melodic side...the stuff that's too shouted doesn't do much for me.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Punk Rock Empty
PostSubject: Re: Punk Rock   Punk Rock Icon_minitimeWed Jun 20, 2012 10:28 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
I heard allot of punk music in art school. Some I liked, some I didn't. Most of the hardcore shouting stuff didn't appeal to me. One dude in particular I used to hang out with schooled me in the different "styles" of punk. Hardcore, 70's, psychobilly, etc.

Most of the cds I got back then have gone away. The only punk I listen to nowadays is Ramones, Danzig-era Misfits, Social Distortion and early Iggy Pop with the Stooges. And New York Dolls, if they count. Most of the 70's-era stuff I've heard is pretty decent.

I remember the first time I really listened to the Ramones and thought, "This isn't punk. It's Chuck Berry played a little faster. Sounds like rock n' roll to me." At the time, my idea of what was punk was the 80's hardcore shouting stuff.

I should add that I have a coupla discs from Green Day & The Offspring as well. Although truth be told, they've been collecting dust for some time now.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

Punk Rock Empty
PostSubject: Re: Punk Rock   Punk Rock Icon_minitimeWed Jun 20, 2012 11:04 am

I love punk, or at least what I considered punk, which included the usual suspects, The Sex Pistols, The Clash, The Damned, etc

I also loved Black Flag, The Dead Kennedys, The Germs, and X which was my fav among them, thou I am not sure if X is actually considered a punk band.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Punk Rock Empty
PostSubject: Re: Punk Rock   Punk Rock Icon_minitimeWed Jun 20, 2012 11:26 am

Quote :
thou I am not sure if X is actually considered a punk band.

I just read an article about them in the last Classic Rock magazine, which made me want to check them out. I'd heard of them for years, but never actually heard the music. I like the country/rockabilly flavor I've heard. And the fact that the article equated John & Exene to a punk version of Johnny & June Cash just sealed the deal for me.

Just might have to investigate a little further.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

Punk Rock Empty
PostSubject: Re: Punk Rock   Punk Rock Icon_minitimeWed Jun 20, 2012 11:40 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Quote :
thou I am not sure if X is actually considered a punk band.

I just read an article about them in the last Classic Rock magazine, which made me want to check them out. I'd heard of them for years, but never actually heard the music. I like the country/rockabilly flavor I've heard. And the fact that the article equated John & Exene to a punk version of Johnny & June Cash just sealed the deal for me.

Just might have to investigate a little further.

Check out the "Los Angeles ' disc by them, extra bonus for being produced by ex-Doors ivory tickler Ray Manzarek, and they do an insanely fast version of The Doors tune 'Soul Kitchen'
Back to top Go down

Punk Rock Empty
PostSubject: Re: Punk Rock   Punk Rock Icon_minitimeWed Jun 20, 2012 12:14 pm

John Doe has a tattoo parlor on Hollywood Blvd. "X" is an interesting band, I liked some of the groups that were on the edge of the punk scene like Television, Husker Du, Talking Heads.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Punk Rock Empty
PostSubject: Re: Punk Rock   Punk Rock Icon_minitimeWed Jun 20, 2012 12:17 pm

I've edited my station to include X, Husker Du (I like Bob's band Sugar) & Siouxsie...

Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Punk Rock Empty
PostSubject: Re: Punk Rock   Punk Rock Icon_minitimeWed Jun 20, 2012 12:19 pm

Hadley wrote:
Another good compilation if you like 80s punk is the soundtrack album to "Repo Man". Its not neccesary to watch the movie to like the soundtrack, and theres lots of classics on there (tv party, institutionalized, lets have a war, etc).

My Pandora station just pulled up "Coup D'Etat" by The Circle Jerks from the Repo Man soundtrack... \'arry \'eadbanger

Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

Punk Rock Empty
PostSubject: Re: Punk Rock   Punk Rock Icon_minitimeWed Jun 20, 2012 12:25 pm

haven't seen anyone mention Minutemen yet. they were pretty awesome on those first few records too.

Sponsored content

Punk Rock Empty
PostSubject: Re: Punk Rock   Punk Rock Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Punk Rock
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next