Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Cataloging Music Collection

Go down 
+13
snooloui
DallasBlack
exact33
MetalGuy71
Orion Crystal Ice
James B.
manny
Fat Freddy
A Handful of Wayne
Witchfinder
chewie
Wurthless
Addy
17 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

Cataloging Music Collection - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cataloging Music Collection   Cataloging Music Collection - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 24, 2012 10:13 am

DallasBlack wrote:
I'm over a year behind on my RYM page. Tried to catalog my CDs but it's too much work.

Cataloging Music Collection - Page 2 Courage-Wolf-Pain-is-temporary-Failure-is-forever
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Cataloging Music Collection   Cataloging Music Collection - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 24, 2012 10:30 am

DallasBlack wrote:
I'm over a year behind on my RYM page. Tried to catalog my CDs but it's too much work.

When that happened to me, I'm reminded of some words of wisdom from an old friend that were imparted to me during my years of Jedi training.

Cataloging Music Collection - Page 2 Do-or-do-not-there-is-no-try_design

It's really helped. I can now levitate my coffee mug for refills.

Metal master
Metal master
snooloui

Number of posts : 913

PostSubject: Re: Cataloging Music Collection   Cataloging Music Collection - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 24, 2012 1:26 pm

I use RYM but also my own spreadsheet. I find that RYM doesn't have all of the editions of an album, so my complete list is on a spreadsheet. I also find using a spreadsheet useful to keep track of items I'm waiting to be delivered as it can be quite difficult at times to remember what you ordered!
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Cataloging Music Collection   Cataloging Music Collection - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 24, 2012 2:26 pm

i use RYM too, but i haven't kept up with adding to it in the past few months. too much traveling & other sorts of stuff. it's gotten so bad that i dread having to catch it up now.

MetalFRO
Metal master
Metal master
MetalFRO

Number of posts : 551

PostSubject: Re: Cataloging Music Collection   Cataloging Music Collection - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 25, 2012 7:08 pm

I've been adding my collection on RecordNerd, though I'm not 100% satisfied with it as a free service. It seems like the # of fields they have are a bit limited. It'd be nice if there was more flexibility or more you could do with it, but I guess free is free. I do like that I can export it (once I'm done) to a .CSV file and manipulate it in Excel. Once I get my entire collection done, I'll do that and then keep up the list in both places as stuff trickles in.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/metalfro
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

PostSubject: Re: Cataloging Music Collection   Cataloging Music Collection - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 27, 2012 4:19 pm

Ill check out that site too
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Cataloging Music Collection   Cataloging Music Collection - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 27, 2012 6:05 pm

As anal as I am with most things, I just use a simple Excel spreadsheet. I have tabs for A through Z, then one for the numbered bands like 311 and 7th Rail Crew. Then I have a Various Artists tab for comps, tribute CDs, and soundtracks.

And I only list the band name and album title; plus things like "13 of 500," if it's numbered, or "w/Bonus Tracks" and so forth. It's very simple.

I started it when I had like 5,000 albums, so there was no way in hell I was adding label names and all that crap. Haha.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: Cataloging Music Collection   Cataloging Music Collection - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 27, 2012 6:13 pm

Eyesore wrote:

And I only list the band name and album title; plus things like "13 of 500," if it's numbered, or "w/Bonus Tracks" and so forth. It's very simple.

i do that too. ill also add Digi as well.

Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

PostSubject: Re: Cataloging Music Collection   Cataloging Music Collection - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 27, 2012 7:37 pm

Eyesore wrote:
As anal as I am with most things, I just use a simple Excel spreadsheet. I have tabs for A through Z, then one for the numbered bands like 311 and 7th Rail Crew. Then I have a Various Artists tab for comps, tribute CDs, and soundtracks.

I started it when I had like 5,000 albums, so there was no way in hell I was adding label names and all that crap. Haha.

Right now my Excel spreadsheet has fields for artist/album, and a notes field which Ive left blank as Im still inputting stuff and sorting it will change the fields but doing a tab for each letter sounds like a good idea I might do that too once i have everything entered. Thanks for the idea

I also am using RYM got over 300 disks entered almost half of my collection... In going through them Im also ripping some albums to mp3 as I will have no room to keep my music library out of storage Sad
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
kyleblack
Metal student
Metal student
kyleblack

Number of posts : 159

PostSubject: Re: Cataloging Music Collection   Cataloging Music Collection - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 27, 2012 7:45 pm

If an edition isn't listed on RYM, why not add it yourself?
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Cataloging Music Collection   Cataloging Music Collection - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 27, 2012 7:50 pm

kyleblack wrote:

You can only do that if you have proof the album exists. I have a few indie albums that I can't find any website verifying it's existence.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12766

PostSubject: Re: Cataloging Music Collection   Cataloging Music Collection - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 27, 2012 7:55 pm

I have a legal pad

When I get a new thang, I go down to the next empty line and write the name of the band, the title, and the format. Example, Havok-Time Is Up (vinyl) or AC/DC-Jailbreak 74' (cassette)

Sure it might take a lil "reading" to find stuff but it has worked for me for years. If I get rid of something, it just takes a lil effort to run a line across the entry.

In case people wonder, I do use an electric razor.

Metal student
Metal student
kyleblack

Number of posts : 159

PostSubject: Re: Cataloging Music Collection   Cataloging Music Collection - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 27, 2012 7:56 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
kyleblack wrote:

You can only do that if you have proof the album exists. I have a few indie albums that I can't find any website verifying it's existence.

I get you there. But if an album is already on the site, adding a different edition is easy to do.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cataloging Music Collection   Cataloging Music Collection - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Cataloging Music Collection
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: