Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Lenny Kravitz

Go down 
+12
MetalGuy71
DallasBlack
Dark Horseman
Shawn Of Fire
speed101
Sutekh
manny
chewie
mc666
thejokeriv
tohostudios
Eyesore
16 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
brokentulsa
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
brokentulsa

Number of posts : 1779

Lenny Kravitz - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lenny Kravitz   Lenny Kravitz - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 04, 2012 3:53 pm

When he came out he kinda reminded me of Hendrix...he had the whole 60s thing going on. Very Cool. here is a bluesy Hendrix style version of "Are You Gonna Go My Way"...

And A classic Hendrix Tune with Clapton..
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Lenny Kravitz   Lenny Kravitz - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 04, 2012 4:19 pm

Very cool version of "Are You Gonna Go My Way." The "All Along the Watchtower" cover is good, too, but I can't help but compare every cover of that song to the Dave Matthews Band version of it, and nothing compares. The DMB version is the best there is, in my opinion.

Skip to 1:00, unless you want to hear a bass solo.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Lenny Kravitz   Lenny Kravitz - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 04, 2012 7:58 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Very cool version of "Are You Gonna Go My Way." The "All Along the Watchtower" cover is good, too, but I can't help but compare every cover of that song to the Dave Matthews Band version of it, and nothing compares. The DMB version is the best there is, in my opinion.

And skip the whole thing if you're Toho. lol!
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Lenny Kravitz   Lenny Kravitz - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 04, 2012 8:01 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

And skip the whole thing if you're Toho. lol!

Laughing very hard

PostSubject: Re: Lenny Kravitz   Lenny Kravitz - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 04, 2012 8:03 pm

Hendrix' version of All Along The Watchtower is so ingrained in my DNA by this point that I can't listen to anybody else do it.

Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Lenny Kravitz   Lenny Kravitz - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 04, 2012 8:07 pm

S.D. wrote:
Hendrix' version of All Along The Watchtower is so ingrained in my DNA by this point that I can't listen to anybody else do it.

Same here. It took me forever to realize that it was a cover.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Lenny Kravitz   Lenny Kravitz - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 04, 2012 9:26 pm

S.D. wrote:

To me, all other versions are weak covers of Jimi's version. He may have not written it, but that song is his.
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: Lenny Kravitz   Lenny Kravitz - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 04, 2012 9:33 pm

thejokeriv wrote:
S.D. wrote:

To me, all other versions are weak covers of Jimi's version. He may have not written it, but that song is his.

Yep!!!! That's what you call doing a cover and ownin' it. I recall reading that even Bob Dylan preferred Hendrix's cover to his original.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Lenny Kravitz   Lenny Kravitz - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 04, 2012 10:38 pm

thejokeriv wrote:
S.D. wrote:
DMB's version doesn't even sound like Jimi's version.
Back to top Go down
jettafiend
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

Number of posts : 1137

PostSubject: Re: Lenny Kravitz   Lenny Kravitz - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 05, 2012 12:36 am

the only album of his that I have heard is 5. I still enjoy that Fly Away song, but I never bought the album because the cover of American Woman made me want to eat a bullet every time I heard it. I don't even know if that song was on the album or not. I am gonna have to give it another spin I think.
Back to top Go down
brokentulsa
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
brokentulsa

Number of posts : 1779

PostSubject: Re: Lenny Kravitz   Lenny Kravitz - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 05, 2012 3:46 pm

Quote :

It is his song but there are a couple of other guys out there that make it sing...I like Frank Marinos version as well as Dave masons.
Back to top Go down
jettafiend
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

Number of posts : 1137

PostSubject: Re: Lenny Kravitz   Lenny Kravitz - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 05, 2012 6:00 pm

brokentulsa wrote:
Quote :

It is his song but there are a couple of other guys out there that make it sing...I like Frank Marinos version as well as Dave masons.

Never heard the DMB version, but the first version of Watchtower that I heard was off of U2's Rattle and Hum album. Pretty good version,but it does not have the cajones of Hendrix's version. Bob Dylan originally wrote the tune but is painful to listen to. IMO.
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

PostSubject: Re: Lenny Kravitz   Lenny Kravitz - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 05, 2012 6:13 pm

chewie wrote:
thejokeriv wrote:
S.D. wrote:

Yep!!!! That's what you call doing a cover and ownin' it. I recall reading that even Bob Dylan preferred Hendrix's cover to his original.

I remember reading that too. Electric Ladyland is probably my favorite album of all time, partly due to this cover.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lenny Kravitz   Lenny Kravitz - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Lenny Kravitz
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2