Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Roadrunner closes UK offices

Go down 
+7
manny
DallasBlack
MetalGuy71
Fat Freddy
stormspell
Dark Horseman
Temple of Blood
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

Roadrunner closes UK offices Empty
PostSubject: Roadrunner closes UK offices   Roadrunner closes UK offices Icon_minitimeThu Apr 26, 2012 5:52 pm

http://www.rocksins.com/2012/04/warner-music-closes-roadrunner-records-uk-offices-huge-cuts-elsewhere-14746/
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Roadrunner closes UK offices   Roadrunner closes UK offices Icon_minitimeThu Apr 26, 2012 7:51 pm

Sign of the times but it doesn't make me happy.
Back to top Go down
stormspell
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stormspell

Number of posts : 1593

PostSubject: Re: Roadrunner closes UK offices   Roadrunner closes UK offices Icon_minitimeThu Apr 26, 2012 9:21 pm

Their 80s catalog was truly amazing! For the past 20 years thought I don't think they have had a single band I would care about. So yeah, too bad for the employees, otherwise, *shrugs*
Back to top Go down
http://www.cdbaby.com/all/stormspell
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Roadrunner closes UK offices   Roadrunner closes UK offices Icon_minitimeThu Apr 26, 2012 9:25 pm

Ouch. Guess this was inevitable once they got in bed with a major label though.

I like the reaction from "Dig" Pearson of Earache Records:

Sad to see Roadrunner Uk/EU close, had many of the best bands and hardest working staffers there. Changed once Warners owned 100%. Some corporate twonk at Warners thinks promoting Machine Head & Opeth can be done just like Linkin Park & Green Day?

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Roadrunner closes UK offices   Roadrunner closes UK offices Icon_minitimeFri Apr 27, 2012 9:59 am

It's a shame, but inevitable I suppose.

Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Roadrunner closes UK offices   Roadrunner closes UK offices Icon_minitimeFri Apr 27, 2012 11:38 am

stormspell wrote:
Their 80s catalog was truly amazing! For the past 20 years thought I don't think they have had a single band I would care about. So yeah, too bad for the employees, otherwise, *shrugs*

That's how I see it. Roadrunner was one of the best metal labels back in the day, but today (with the exception of a few bands) they don't have much. For me it'd be different if Nuclear Blast, Century Media or Frontiers were closing offices.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Roadrunner closes UK offices   Roadrunner closes UK offices Icon_minitimeFri Apr 27, 2012 11:41 am

Quote :
That's how I see it. Roadrunner was one of the best metal labels back in the day, but today (with the exception of a few bands) they don't have much.

Same here. Roadrunner was pretty irrelevant to me for most of the 90s/00s but in recent years they'd been signing up some bands I dig like Megadeth, Ratt, and Airbourne.

...Though in Megadeth's case, Dave Mustaine has been very vocal about how much he hated Roadrunner and couldn't wait to get the hell off the label. "Th1rt3en" was his last record for them, I guess he got outta dodge just in time.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Roadrunner closes UK offices   Roadrunner closes UK offices Icon_minitimeFri Apr 27, 2012 11:55 am

S.D. posted on Facebook that these mergers have helped killed the music industry due to the lack of diversity and identities these indie labels provided, and I have to agree with him, they no longer cultivate careers. Again the record labels have created the means to their own demise
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Roadrunner closes UK offices   Roadrunner closes UK offices Icon_minitimeFri Apr 27, 2012 12:46 pm

manny wrote:
S.D. posted on Facebook that these mergers have helped killed the music industry due to the lack of diversity and identities these indie labels provided, and I have to agree with him, they no longer cultivate careers. Again the record labels have created the means to their own demise

It's exactly what happened to Tribunal and other labels under the Lumberjack Mordem Music Group distributor umbrella. Quote from Matt (Tribunal):

Quote :
the problem is they sold 73% of the company to WMG (Warner Music Group). therefore, at any point in time they could all be fired and RR would be absorbed which is what is happening now. it sucks, but it's what happened at LMMG unbeknownst to us labels. Dirk get in bed with WMG and they took all our money and claimed LMMG was losing tons of money but they basically just charged us for every little thing they could when getting returns, shipping product, etc. piled on the debt (on paper) and then shut him down and took our money. It's why i won't ever sign with a major or someone who goes through a major. been there done that and it sucked.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

PostSubject: Re: Roadrunner closes UK offices   Roadrunner closes UK offices Icon_minitimeFri Apr 27, 2012 10:48 pm

Shame. Most of their more recent material isn't material I'm into (with some exceptions), but they have some classics in their back catalog.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Roadrunner closes UK offices   Roadrunner closes UK offices Icon_minitimeFri Apr 27, 2012 11:37 pm

I will say something positive about Roadrunner in the fact they have their "Two From The Vault" deals they've released. I've been able to get the first two albums from Annihilator, Mercyful Fate, and Obituary without having to buy indivdual albums thanks to those.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Grimmo
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Grimmo

Number of posts : 413

PostSubject: Re: Roadrunner closes UK offices   Roadrunner closes UK offices Icon_minitimeSat Apr 28, 2012 2:38 am

Roadrunner dumped a lot of great bands from their roster in the early nineties. However, it is always sad to read this kind of news. Sad
Back to top Go down
http://waynegrimsey.blogspot.com/

PostSubject: Re: Roadrunner closes UK offices   Roadrunner closes UK offices Icon_minitimeSat Apr 28, 2012 3:16 am

Roadrunner still has some impressive artists on their roster, alot of the albums I've purchased in the last few years have been Roadrunner releases. Even in this horrid downward spiral the music industry is in, the BIG THREE still seem hell bent on shooting themselves repeatedly in the head at close range.
Back to top Go down
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

PostSubject: Re: Roadrunner closes UK offices   Roadrunner closes UK offices Icon_minitimeSat Apr 28, 2012 10:58 am

Roadrunner is still around. It's just their international offices that are getting reorganized. One of my favorite bands of all time is currently on their label (Megadeth, but they are leaving soon anyway) but I've never been a fan of the label. I usually stay away from anything they put out because I know what type of metal acts they like to sign and that's not my style.

Anyway, it's sad and not a good sign for rock/metal but it was obvious once WMG bought it.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Roadrunner closes UK offices   Roadrunner closes UK offices Icon_minitimeSat Apr 28, 2012 6:51 pm

RR will remain in imprint of WMG...

PostSubject: Re: Roadrunner closes UK offices   Roadrunner closes UK offices Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Roadrunner closes UK offices
Page 1 of 1