Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Bands you found out about through covers

Go down 
+15
Rex
adrian
manny
Fat Freddy
Andy
jstate
MetalGuy71
thejokeriv
Gilbert
BearOnUnicycle
metalken
The_Jayroh
Temple of Blood
ultmetal
metalhead777
19 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
metalhead777
Metal master
Metal master
metalhead777

Number of posts : 842

Bands you found out about through covers Empty
PostSubject: Bands you found out about through covers   Bands you found out about through covers Icon_minitimeTue Apr 24, 2012 10:32 pm

I have found a few bands I enjoy through hearing other bands cover their material. I have also had moments where a band I knew of but never actually tried to listen to got my attention through another bands cover.
Prong through Demon Hunters cover of "Snap Your Fingers Snap Your Neck"
Rainbow through Impellitteri's cover of "Since You've Been Gone"
older slayer through At The Gates cover of "Captor of Sin"

and my personal favorite find!
Forbidden through Temple of Blood's cover of "Forbidden Evil"

Any other people with experience like this?
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Bands you found out about through covers   Bands you found out about through covers Icon_minitimeTue Apr 24, 2012 10:38 pm

Heavy Load from Hammerfall's cover of "Run With the Devil".

Hawkwind from Motorhead's 'cover' of Motorhead.

Last edited by ultmetal on Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Bands you found out about through covers   Bands you found out about through covers Icon_minitimeTue Apr 24, 2012 10:42 pm

metalhead777 wrote:

and my personal favorite find!
Forbidden through Temple of Blood's cover of "Forbidden Evil"

Glad you enjoyed it/them. Smile

Ever heard SANCTUARY? We're covering them on our upcoming one.

Funny, I love cover tunes but I can't think of a single band I have discovered through them.

Back to top Go down
The_Jayroh
Metal master
Metal master
The_Jayroh

Number of posts : 823

PostSubject: Re: Bands you found out about through covers   Bands you found out about through covers Icon_minitimeWed Apr 25, 2012 12:17 am

I heard about Prong through covers of "Snap Your Fingers Snap Your Neck".
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1009170115&sk=info
metalken
Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 819

PostSubject: Re: Bands you found out about through covers   Bands you found out about through covers Icon_minitimeWed Apr 25, 2012 1:32 am

Holocaust because of the $5.98 ep.
Back to top Go down
BearOnUnicycle
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
BearOnUnicycle

Number of posts : 1064

PostSubject: Re: Bands you found out about through covers   Bands you found out about through covers Icon_minitimeWed Apr 25, 2012 3:00 am

Ion Vein - Take Hold of the Flame.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: Bands you found out about through covers   Bands you found out about through covers Icon_minitimeWed Apr 25, 2012 3:54 am

Sanctuary - i heard Labyrinth's cover of die for my sins
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Bands you found out about through covers   Bands you found out about through covers Icon_minitimeWed Apr 25, 2012 8:34 am

The obvious - Diamond Head because of Metallica
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Bands you found out about through covers   Bands you found out about through covers Icon_minitimeWed Apr 25, 2012 9:23 am

thejokeriv wrote:
The obvious - Diamond Head because of Metallica

Yeah, good call.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Bands you found out about through covers   Bands you found out about through covers Icon_minitimeWed Apr 25, 2012 9:46 am

The majority of the bands that GnR covered on The Spaghetti Incident were new discoverys for me at the time. I might have heard of them, but not actually heard the music.

Same deal with Metallica's original Garage Days ep.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Bands you found out about through covers   Bands you found out about through covers Icon_minitimeWed Apr 25, 2012 10:37 am

Garage Days was such a goldmine for discoveries.

I became a fan of Iron Butterfly thanks to Slayer covering "In a gadda da vida".
Back to top Go down
Andy
Metal graduate
Metal graduate

Number of posts : 328

PostSubject: Re: Bands you found out about through covers   Bands you found out about through covers Icon_minitimeWed Apr 25, 2012 10:42 am

Judas Priest and Rainbow songs were covered by Stratovarius on their 2001 album, Intermission.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Andy618
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Bands you found out about through covers   Bands you found out about through covers Icon_minitimeWed Apr 25, 2012 12:06 pm

Metallica's "Garage Days" EP and the B-sides to the "Creeping Death" single intro'd me to a whole mess of stuff... Diamond Head, Holocaust, etc. Being a Jersey native I'd heard of the Misfits at the time but had never actually heard them before Metallica covered "Last Caress" and "Green Hell."

Overkill's covers of "Sonic Reducer" and "Ain't Nothin' To Do" introduced me to the Dead Boys.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Bands you found out about through covers   Bands you found out about through covers Icon_minitimeWed Apr 25, 2012 12:35 pm

Metallica and Diamond Head

Quiet Riot covering Slade

David Bowie covering Iggy Pop's China Girl
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bands you found out about through covers   Bands you found out about through covers Icon_minitimeWed Apr 25, 2012 1:04 pm

I discovered Nektar because of Iron Maiden's cover of "King Of Twilight".

Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Bands you found out about through covers   Bands you found out about through covers Icon_minitimeWed Apr 25, 2012 1:10 pm

All of my knowledge of classical music came from watching Looney Tunes. Bands you found out about through covers 395375

PostSubject: Re: Bands you found out about through covers   Bands you found out about through covers Icon_minitimeWed Apr 25, 2012 1:13 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
All of my knowledge of classical music came from watching Looney Tunes. Bands you found out about through covers 395375

There's a ton of great music on Looney Tunes. Here's an awesome clip of Raymond Scott performing "Powerhouse" which was frequently used on Looney Tunes.

Back to top Go down
adrian
Metal master
Metal master
adrian

Number of posts : 994

PostSubject: Re: Bands you found out about through covers   Bands you found out about through covers Icon_minitimeWed Apr 25, 2012 1:15 pm

Rainbow, Deep Purple, UFO and the Scorpions through Yngwie's Inspiration album. Also Paganini from the interlude on his song Prophet of Doom
Back to top Go down
Rex
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Rex

Number of posts : 2056

PostSubject: Re: Bands you found out about through covers   Bands you found out about through covers Icon_minitimeWed Apr 25, 2012 1:17 pm

Found out about Angel Dust from their cover of "Temple of the King" on the Holy Dio comp.
Back to top Go down
TheGreatDuck
Metal master
Metal master
TheGreatDuck

Number of posts : 648

PostSubject: Re: Bands you found out about through covers   Bands you found out about through covers Icon_minitimeWed Apr 25, 2012 2:23 pm

metalhead777 wrote:

Rainbow through Impellitteri's cover of "Since You've Been Gone"

Actually, it was already a cover when Rainbow did it. Very Happy

I discovered Thin Lizzy, Montrose, UFO and Jethro Tull through Iron Maiden.
Back to top Go down
jettafiend
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

Number of posts : 1137

PostSubject: Re: Bands you found out about through covers   Bands you found out about through covers Icon_minitimeWed Apr 25, 2012 2:29 pm

The best discovery that I ever made was Status Quo. I was on the web searching for covers of popular songs and found several that they have done. Status Quo are a fantastic band in their own right but some of the life that they have given covers is hard to ignore. Their cover of the Beach Boys "Fun Fun Fun" adds swagger and balls to the original, as does their version of Buddy Holly's "Rave On!". The albums Riffs, Famous in the Last Century, and Don't Stop are must haves.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Bands you found out about through covers   Bands you found out about through covers Icon_minitimeWed Apr 25, 2012 3:21 pm

Thanks to Judas Priest, Gary Moore and Joe Perry, another band (or more specifically person) I discovered through covers is Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac.

For years, I didn't even know that Fleetwood Mac existed as a bad-ass British blues band before it morphed into their radio-friendly (albeit more popular) incarnation.

Metal master
Metal master
TheGreatDuck

Number of posts : 648

PostSubject: Re: Bands you found out about through covers   Bands you found out about through covers Icon_minitimeWed Apr 25, 2012 4:25 pm

Now that you mention Gary, forgot to mention I found him through Nightwish's cover of "Over the Hills and Far Away".
Back to top Go down
adrian
Metal master
Metal master
adrian

Number of posts : 994

PostSubject: Re: Bands you found out about through covers   Bands you found out about through covers Icon_minitimeWed Apr 25, 2012 4:47 pm

Actually, I discovered Gary Moore through Yngwie as well. That riff from Over the Hills that was used in his song Braveheart!
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Bands you found out about through covers   Bands you found out about through covers Icon_minitimeWed Apr 25, 2012 5:19 pm

Pretty Maids from Hammerfall's cover of Back To Back. Well, it was part that and part people on this board.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bands you found out about through covers   Bands you found out about through covers Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Bands you found out about through covers
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next