Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Grim Reaper

Go down 
+20
EmoElmo
journeyman
Wurthless
arachnoplasma
Fat Freddy
exact33
speed101
stpatrik
A Handful of Wayne
labrekk
Lurideath
nevermore
MetalGuy71
Andy
Witchfinder
SideShowDisaSter
BearOnUnicycle
Required Fields
7thSecond
24 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
7thSecond
Metal master
Metal master
7thSecond

Number of posts : 665

Grim Reaper Empty
PostSubject: Grim Reaper   Grim Reaper Icon_minitimeWed Mar 21, 2012 1:07 am

I'd forgotten just how good this band really was after trading away my See You In Hell and Fear No Evil albums a few years ago. I found a copy of Best Of Grim Reaper today and snagged it. I finally got to hear four tracks off of Rock You To Hell which I've never owned. Good stuff. I'll never understand why so many people made fun of this band. Anyone else like them?
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28454

Grim Reaper Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grim Reaper   Grim Reaper Icon_minitimeWed Mar 21, 2012 2:16 am

I like them.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
BearOnUnicycle
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
BearOnUnicycle

Number of posts : 1064

Grim Reaper Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grim Reaper   Grim Reaper Icon_minitimeWed Mar 21, 2012 3:43 am

Great band. Rock You to Hell is a must.
Back to top Go down
SideShowDisaSter
Roo Jockey
SideShowDisaSter

Number of posts : 4603

Grim Reaper Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grim Reaper   Grim Reaper Icon_minitimeWed Mar 21, 2012 5:24 am

BearOnUnicycle wrote:
Great band. Rock You to Hell is a must.

Seconded. Nostalgia may play a part, as I heard it first when I was teenager first listening to metal, but it's one of my all-time favorite albums.

Not to mention the cover is a WICKED! LOVES me a well-drawn bit of cheese like that! Laughing

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39638

Grim Reaper Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grim Reaper   Grim Reaper Icon_minitimeWed Mar 21, 2012 8:58 am

A good band with good releases. I've always liked them but I will say that they are a bit same-y sounding. I think my favorite song of theirs is Final Scream off Fear No Evil.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7613

Grim Reaper Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grim Reaper   Grim Reaper Icon_minitimeWed Mar 21, 2012 9:23 am

Big fan! They were a really solid NWOBHM band. The rumor was they had finished a fourth album but their label has refused to release it. I wonder if that will ever see the light of day?
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Andy
Metal graduate
Metal graduate

Number of posts : 328

Grim Reaper Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grim Reaper   Grim Reaper Icon_minitimeWed Mar 21, 2012 9:24 am

Amazing band. First 2 albums, "See You in Hell" and "Fear No Evil" are total classics. They started during the NWOBHM, but didn't lay anything to tape until years later. A great example of true heavy metal, melding heavy riffs with melodic vocal lines. Steve Grimmett left the band in the late 80's to pursue a spot with British thrashers Onslaught. Steve is back with Grim Reaper and recently toured the UK with rumors of recording some new stuff.

Awesome band, great thread. Everyone should check them out.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Andy618
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Grim Reaper Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grim Reaper   Grim Reaper Icon_minitimeWed Mar 21, 2012 10:06 am

I have a greatest hits comp that I like to spin from time-to-time. I like their early material on there, but I've never felt compelled to dig any deeper.

Quote :
I'll never understand why so many people made fun of this band.

I think Beavis & Butthead are to blame there. They ripped their video to shreds.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Grim Reaper Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grim Reaper   Grim Reaper Icon_minitimeWed Mar 21, 2012 11:18 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
I have a greatest hits comp that I like to spin from time-to-time. I like their early material on there, but I've never felt compelled to dig any deeper.

Quote :

I think Beavis & Butthead are to blame there. They ripped their video to shreds.

I always thought that was weird. I would have expected Beavis and Butt-Head to like them.
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25893

Grim Reaper Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grim Reaper   Grim Reaper Icon_minitimeWed Mar 21, 2012 11:51 am

Great band! All 3 albums are really good to my ears.
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3893

Grim Reaper Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grim Reaper   Grim Reaper Icon_minitimeWed Mar 21, 2012 12:09 pm

LOVE THIS BAND! I brag them up all the time. My favorite album from them is Rock You To Hell. But hell, every album and every song they made rules.
Back to top Go down
labrekk
Metal novice
Metal novice

Number of posts : 64

Grim Reaper Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grim Reaper   Grim Reaper Icon_minitimeWed Mar 21, 2012 12:17 pm

7thSecond wrote:
I'd forgotten just how good this band really was after trading away my See You In Hell and Fear No Evil albums a few years ago. I found a copy of Best Of Grim Reaper today and snagged it. I finally got to hear four tracks off of Rock You To Hell which I've never owned. Good stuff. I'll never understand why so many people made fun of this band. Anyone else like them?

I like the 3 albums a lot. Steve Grimmett was a great singer, even more after the 1st album where he was a bit uncontrolled and screamed too much.

For more early Grimmett work, check out CHATEAUX-Chained And Desperate, another good metal album from a good UK band.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Grim Reaper Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grim Reaper   Grim Reaper Icon_minitimeWed Mar 21, 2012 12:27 pm

Required Fields wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

Quote :

I always thought that was weird. I would have expected Beavis and Butt-Head to like them.

I think it was just making fun of their looks & videos more than the music. But hey, what band didn't look ridiculous in the 80's. Razz

Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

Grim Reaper Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grim Reaper   Grim Reaper Icon_minitimeWed Mar 21, 2012 1:06 pm

Yea Steve Grimmett had a very odd looking face and a huge head. I happened to only hear about these guys when I saw Rock You To Hell in a store at the mall. I liked the artwork so I decided to check it out. Its very cheesey but its cool. Years later I came across the first 2 albums. I didnt like them as much as I thought the sound was horrible. Sounded like it was recorded in someones garage. Theres a few good songs but not much else for me. I never understood all the praise they got especially for only releasing 3 albums.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Grim Reaper Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grim Reaper   Grim Reaper Icon_minitimeWed Mar 21, 2012 1:55 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Required Fields wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

Quote :

I think it was just making fun of their looks & videos more than the music. But hey, what band didn't look ridiculous in the 80's. Razz

Let's not forget that Beavis and Butt-Head love Crowbar, whose singer is even fatter and uglier than Steve Grimmett.

Grim Reaper were really good sports about being mocked on Beavis and Butt-Head, though.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7613

Grim Reaper Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grim Reaper   Grim Reaper Icon_minitimeWed Mar 21, 2012 2:05 pm

labrekk wrote:
7thSecond wrote:

I like the 3 albums a lot. Steve Grimmett was a great singer, even more after the 1st album where he was a bit uncontrolled and screamed too much.

For more early Grimmett work, check out CHATEAUX-Chained And Desperate, another good metal album from a good UK band.

That Chateaux album is excellent! headbanger
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
stpatrik
Metal student
Metal student
stpatrik

Number of posts : 145

Grim Reaper Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grim Reaper   Grim Reaper Icon_minitimeWed Mar 21, 2012 5:08 pm

Great band. I love all 3 albums and Rock You to Hell is one of my favourite albums of all time. Grimmet again tours under the Grim Reaper banner, or Grimmet's Grim Reaper perhaps; he is the only one left in the lineup since then.

7thSecond wrote:
I'll never understand why so many people made fun of this band. Anyone else like them?

Because they were cheesy as cheese can be! Which is fine by me. Still, good songs and really good players.

I can recommend Grimmet's post Onslaught-band Lionheart's first s/t album. Good stuff if you like Whitesnake et all.

Back to top Go down
labrekk
Metal novice
Metal novice

Number of posts : 64

Grim Reaper Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grim Reaper   Grim Reaper Icon_minitimeWed Mar 21, 2012 5:25 pm

stpatrik wrote:
Great band. I love all 3 albums and Rock You to Hell is one of my favourite albums of all time. Grimmet again tours under the Grim Reaper banner, or Grimmet's Grim Reaper perhaps; he is the only one left in the lineup since then.

7thSecond wrote:
I'll never understand why so many people made fun of this band. Anyone else like them?

Because they were cheesy as cheese can be! Which is fine by me. Still, good songs and really good players.

I can recommend Grimmet's post Onslaught-band Lionheart's first s/t album. Good stuff if you like Whitesnake et all.

The 1st LIONSHEART is indeed some excellent hard rock. The track "Portrait" is totally killer IMO.
His solo album Personal Crisis (2007) was Grimmett's full return to traditional metal and was an excellent album. GRIMMSTINE-s/t was also cool, but uneven.
Back to top Go down
speed101
Metal master
Metal master
speed101

Number of posts : 516

Grim Reaper Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grim Reaper   Grim Reaper Icon_minitimeWed Mar 21, 2012 9:31 pm

I love this band and i love the cool 80s metal look also.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

Grim Reaper Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grim Reaper   Grim Reaper Icon_minitimeWed Mar 21, 2012 9:32 pm

I need to get their stuff.

Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37654

Grim Reaper Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grim Reaper   Grim Reaper Icon_minitimeWed Mar 21, 2012 9:33 pm

I have their FEAR NO EVIL LP on vinyl, can't tell ya when I last listened to it though.

Decent band, but their look/image did them no favors. Steve Grimmett usually looked like a poofy haired sausage stuffed into spandex.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
speed101
Metal master
Metal master
speed101

Grim Reaper Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grim Reaper   Grim Reaper Icon_minitimeWed Mar 21, 2012 9:39 pm

Wow noone here likes the metal look at all huh?Lol
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37654

Grim Reaper Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grim Reaper   Grim Reaper Icon_minitimeWed Mar 21, 2012 9:40 pm

speed101 wrote:
Wow noone here likes the metal look at all huh?Lol

The Metal "look" works on some guys, other guys not so much. Steve Grimmett is one of those "not so much" dudes.

If Biff Byford and Chris Farley had a love child it would probably look like Steve Grimmett.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
speed101
Metal master
Metal master
speed101

Grim Reaper Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grim Reaper   Grim Reaper Icon_minitimeWed Mar 21, 2012 10:02 pm

Lol
Back to top Go down
arachnoplasma
Metal student
Metal student
arachnoplasma

Number of posts : 244

Grim Reaper Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grim Reaper   Grim Reaper Icon_minitimeWed Mar 21, 2012 10:58 pm

See You in Hell is a pretty fun album. It's nothing wildly original but it's that classic British heavy metal sound and I'm a sucker for that sort of thing. I never ventured further beyond that album, though, for some reason.

Fat Freddy wrote:
If Biff Byford and Chris Farley had a love child it would probably look like Steve Grimmett.

Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Grim Reaper Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grim Reaper   Grim Reaper Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Grim Reaper
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next