Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Why do most people call MEGADETH a Thrash band?

Go down 
+26
adrian
Cognitive Dissonance
exact33
Troublezone
ultmetal
stepcousin
Lurideath
Hadley
Shawn Of Fire
mlotek
Fat Freddy
Witchfinder
kmorg
chewie
Glenn Rogers
Coram Deo
Dark Horseman
Andy
James B.
Thrasher73
Mglaffas81
Addy
DallasBlack
mc666
EmoElmo
30 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
EmoElmo
Metal master
Metal master
EmoElmo

Number of posts : 626

Why do most people call MEGADETH a Thrash band? Empty
PostSubject: Why do most people call MEGADETH a Thrash band?   Why do most people call MEGADETH a Thrash band? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 01, 2012 4:09 am

Forgive me for duplicating any similar thread (if there are any)... Please enlighten me people, I have yet to find a plausible answer to this question, To my ears, they are definitely Speed Metal with a little bit o' Punk and NWOBHM attitude...Is it because Dave collaborated some of the songs from 'Kill em All' and 'Lightning'? which....doesn't make any freaking sense, at all? Smile

In fact the closest thing that they have done so far in accordance to the subgenre's basic elements are 'Angry Again' and '99 Ways to Die' (highly debatable perhaps?)

???

Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Why do most people call MEGADETH a Thrash band?   Why do most people call MEGADETH a Thrash band? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 01, 2012 4:28 am

why do they call Megadeth a thrash band? Peace Sells... & Rust in Peace. thrash metal classics. that's why everyone compares everything they do to those two albums. everything else, not so much...mostly uninspired traditional metal/rock. those two albums earned their thrash legacy though, imo.

DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Why do most people call MEGADETH a Thrash band?   Why do most people call MEGADETH a Thrash band? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 01, 2012 4:38 am

Because, speed metal and thrash metal are not that far apart (with speed metal tending to have more melody).
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

PostSubject: Re: Why do most people call MEGADETH a Thrash band?   Why do most people call MEGADETH a Thrash band? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 01, 2012 6:42 am

I say Who cares, if you like em listen to them
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
Mglaffas81
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Mglaffas81

Number of posts : 2255

PostSubject: Re: Why do most people call MEGADETH a Thrash band?   Why do most people call MEGADETH a Thrash band? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 01, 2012 8:52 am

God damn genre nazis - It doesn't f#cking matter!!
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Why do most people call MEGADETH a Thrash band?   Why do most people call MEGADETH a Thrash band? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 01, 2012 9:00 am

Mglaffas81 wrote:

I agree!
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12632

PostSubject: Re: Why do most people call MEGADETH a Thrash band?   Why do most people call MEGADETH a Thrash band? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 01, 2012 10:01 am

That is what they began as....

They became something else

Metal graduate
Metal graduate

Number of posts : 328

PostSubject: Re: Why do most people call MEGADETH a Thrash band?   Why do most people call MEGADETH a Thrash band? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 01, 2012 10:09 am

Thrash doesn't just mean Kreator and Slayer. Thrash covers a broad spectrum of sounds and styles. Why do people call Anthrax a thrash band? They're entirely groove now. Why do people call Metallica a thrash band? Listen to everything post-AJFA.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Andy618
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Why do most people call MEGADETH a Thrash band?   Why do most people call MEGADETH a Thrash band? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 01, 2012 11:12 am

I got to wonder if you've been listening to metal long? You hear early 'deth and even some stuff on the last few releases and you'd know.
No knock man, just wondering.
Back to top Go down
Coram Deo
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Coram Deo

Number of posts : 254

PostSubject: Re: Why do most people call MEGADETH a Thrash band?   Why do most people call MEGADETH a Thrash band? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 01, 2012 11:40 am

Thrasher73 wrote:
Mglaffas81 wrote:

I agree!

Me too.

And the bigger question is, where did the Tusken Raider in Dark Horseman's Avatar get that Axe?
Back to top Go down
http://annoyedelephants.wordpress.com/
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39646

PostSubject: Re: Why do most people call MEGADETH a Thrash band?   Why do most people call MEGADETH a Thrash band? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 01, 2012 11:43 am

[/quote]

And the bigger question is, where did the Tusken Raider in Dark Horseman's Avatar get that Axe? [/quote]

Out of the back of Luke's Landspeeder.
Back to top Go down
Glenn Rogers
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Glenn Rogers

Number of posts : 1069

PostSubject: Re: Why do most people call MEGADETH a Thrash band?   Why do most people call MEGADETH a Thrash band? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 01, 2012 12:01 pm

The vocals....If he could sing it would be a different story....
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/finaldecreeofficial/

PostSubject: Re: Why do most people call MEGADETH a Thrash band?   Why do most people call MEGADETH a Thrash band? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 01, 2012 12:51 pm

James B. wrote:

This
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: Why do most people call MEGADETH a Thrash band?   Why do most people call MEGADETH a Thrash band? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 01, 2012 12:58 pm

S.D. wrote:
James B. wrote:

This

Yeppers!
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Why do most people call MEGADETH a Thrash band?   Why do most people call MEGADETH a Thrash band? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 01, 2012 1:18 pm

Compare Megadeth's first 3-4 albums to real speed metal bands, like old Agent Steel.... then tell me that they are in the same genre.

Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7613

PostSubject: Re: Why do most people call MEGADETH a Thrash band?   Why do most people call MEGADETH a Thrash band? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 01, 2012 2:10 pm

Because at one point, they were a thrash band. Although, Megadeth referred to themselves in the early part of their career as Speed Metal. Of course, out of the Big Four, only Slayer is still a "thrash" band. Whatever that means.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37656

PostSubject: Re: Why do most people call MEGADETH a Thrash band?   Why do most people call MEGADETH a Thrash band? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 01, 2012 2:13 pm

Quote :
Because at one point, they were a thrash band. Although, Megadeth referred to themselves in the early part of their career as Speed Metal.

Back in the early days the terms "speed metal" and "thrash metal" were more or less interchangeable, anyway.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7613

PostSubject: Re: Why do most people call MEGADETH a Thrash band?   Why do most people call MEGADETH a Thrash band? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 01, 2012 2:16 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Quote :
Because at one point, they were a thrash band. Although, Megadeth referred to themselves in the early part of their career as Speed Metal.

Back in the early days the terms "speed metal" and "thrash metal" were more or less interchangeable, anyway.

Yep. I still don't know the difference.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37656

PostSubject: Re: Why do most people call MEGADETH a Thrash band?   Why do most people call MEGADETH a Thrash band? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 01, 2012 2:20 pm

Witchfinder wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
Quote :

Me neither. I'm sure one of the genre hair-splitters here will probably come along and educate us sooner or later. Very Happy

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
mlotek
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mlotek

Number of posts : 1226

PostSubject: Re: Why do most people call MEGADETH a Thrash band?   Why do most people call MEGADETH a Thrash band? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 01, 2012 2:24 pm

"speed metal" usually had clean vocals (but not always) and simpler or the same riffs overplayed, I thought -
ie. Abattoir, ACID, Agent Steel, Toxik, Helloween "Walls of Jericho" LP
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Why do most people call MEGADETH a Thrash band?   Why do most people call MEGADETH a Thrash band? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 01, 2012 2:25 pm

Why do most people call MEGADETH a Thrash band? 71176_107320686456_1505737_n

HHAAAIIRR SSPPLLIITTAAAAAHHHHH!!!!

Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Why do most people call MEGADETH a Thrash band?   Why do most people call MEGADETH a Thrash band? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 01, 2012 2:36 pm

lol! So that's where his hair went.
Back to top Go down
Hadley
Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 991

PostSubject: Re: Why do most people call MEGADETH a Thrash band?   Why do most people call MEGADETH a Thrash band? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 01, 2012 2:52 pm

Speed Metal is (sometimes) more melodic as well.
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3893

PostSubject: Re: Why do most people call MEGADETH a Thrash band?   Why do most people call MEGADETH a Thrash band? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 01, 2012 3:39 pm

They were a combination of Speed Metal and Thrash Metal. They didn't call themselves thrash, that was the media. Their shirts had this famous slogan of "State of the Art Speed Metal Band" on the back of their shirts.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Why do most people call MEGADETH a Thrash band?   Why do most people call MEGADETH a Thrash band? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 01, 2012 4:20 pm

Witchfinder wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
Quote :

Me niether. But since I like both, I really don't care.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Why do most people call MEGADETH a Thrash band?   Why do most people call MEGADETH a Thrash band? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Why do most people call MEGADETH a Thrash band?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next