Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

R.I.P. - Davy Jones (The Monkees)

Go down 
+19
mikeinfla
tohostudios
Leatherface
A Handful of Wayne
arachnoplasma
stepcousin
Metal Misfit
Hamer12
Dark Horseman
James B.
Troublezone
chewie
ShadowAngel
manny
MetalGuy71
Fat Freddy
Ricky
DallasBlack
23 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

R.I.P. - Davy Jones (The Monkees) Empty
PostSubject: R.I.P. - Davy Jones (The Monkees)   R.I.P. - Davy Jones (The Monkees) Icon_minitimeWed Feb 29, 2012 1:31 pm

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2012/02/29/monkees-singer-davy-jones-dies-at-66-report-says/

The debut album by The Monkees was one of the first records I ever heard as a child. He'll be missed.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40562

PostSubject: Re: R.I.P. - Davy Jones (The Monkees)   R.I.P. - Davy Jones (The Monkees) Icon_minitimeWed Feb 29, 2012 1:37 pm

Sad. I'm a fan of the Monkees and own their Greatest Hits on cd.

R.I.P.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: R.I.P. - Davy Jones (The Monkees)   R.I.P. - Davy Jones (The Monkees) Icon_minitimeWed Feb 29, 2012 1:39 pm

Sad. I loved The Monkees when I was a kid. I remember watching re-runs of their TV show back in the day.
R.I.P.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Ricky
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Ricky

Number of posts : 255

PostSubject: Re: R.I.P. - Davy Jones (The Monkees)   R.I.P. - Davy Jones (The Monkees) Icon_minitimeWed Feb 29, 2012 1:42 pm

sad news I saw him in concert a few years ago it was a cool show..rip
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: R.I.P. - Davy Jones (The Monkees)   R.I.P. - Davy Jones (The Monkees) Icon_minitimeWed Feb 29, 2012 1:47 pm

That's a bummer. I used to watch reruns of "The Monkees" on TV when I was a kid. RIP.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: R.I.P. - Davy Jones (The Monkees)   R.I.P. - Davy Jones (The Monkees) Icon_minitimeWed Feb 29, 2012 1:47 pm

Awwww man, that just really ruined my day. I loved the Monkees and Davy was my favorite, after Mike and Mickey, of course. They were an early favorite of mine.

I will definatly be playing their anthology when I get home tonight.

This bums me out.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: R.I.P. - Davy Jones (The Monkees)   R.I.P. - Davy Jones (The Monkees) Icon_minitimeWed Feb 29, 2012 1:49 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
That's a bummer. I used to watch reruns of "The Monkees" on TV when I was a kid. RIP.

Me too. I loved their wacky shenanigans. Crying or Very sad

With any luck, TV Land or someone will run a Monkee marathon in his honor. Antenna TV plays their episodes every now and then at like 2 in the morning.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: R.I.P. - Davy Jones (The Monkees)   R.I.P. - Davy Jones (The Monkees) Icon_minitimeWed Feb 29, 2012 1:53 pm

I love the Monkees, this is really sad, he was only 66, their songs were fun and well written, and the show made me laugh.

Back to top Go down
ShadowAngel
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
ShadowAngel

Number of posts : 445

PostSubject: Re: R.I.P. - Davy Jones (The Monkees)   R.I.P. - Davy Jones (The Monkees) Icon_minitimeWed Feb 29, 2012 2:04 pm

I've never seen the show (i think it was never ever shown on german tv) but my parents have a Monkees Vinyl, some sort of best-of and despite them being a target for a lot of jokes (like on the Simpsons) i liked their music, it was fun and enjoyable.
66 is way too young
Back to top Go down
http://www.kingdomofdesire.de
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: R.I.P. - Davy Jones (The Monkees)   R.I.P. - Davy Jones (The Monkees) Icon_minitimeWed Feb 29, 2012 2:09 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

Me too. I loved their wacky shenanigans. Crying or Very sad

With any luck, TV Land or someone will run a Monkee marathon in his honor. Antenna TV plays their episodes every now and then at like 2 in the morning.

R.I.P.

Really?!?!? They play them every Saturdays morning here in Sacramento.

Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: R.I.P. - Davy Jones (The Monkees)   R.I.P. - Davy Jones (The Monkees) Icon_minitimeWed Feb 29, 2012 2:10 pm

I remember when I was growing up, a friend of the family had a bunch of their original vinyl albums and they let me borrow them so I could tape copies with my dad's stereo. It was my early attempts at making a mix tape.

Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17155

PostSubject: Re: R.I.P. - Davy Jones (The Monkees)   R.I.P. - Davy Jones (The Monkees) Icon_minitimeWed Feb 29, 2012 2:42 pm

As others have mentioned, I used to watch their TV show as a kid.

RIP
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12766

PostSubject: Re: R.I.P. - Davy Jones (The Monkees)   R.I.P. - Davy Jones (The Monkees) Icon_minitimeWed Feb 29, 2012 2:53 pm

I got my first french kiss from a neighborhood girl watching The Monkee's TV show on KTLA. I was such a stud at 11. Laughing very hard She was 13 !

RIP

Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: R.I.P. - Davy Jones (The Monkees)   R.I.P. - Davy Jones (The Monkees) Icon_minitimeWed Feb 29, 2012 3:22 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUzs5dlLrm0
Back to top Go down
Hamer12
Metal master
Metal master
Hamer12

Number of posts : 828

PostSubject: Re: R.I.P. - Davy Jones (The Monkees)   R.I.P. - Davy Jones (The Monkees) Icon_minitimeWed Feb 29, 2012 4:00 pm

One of my favorites growing up, still one today!! R.I.P. Davy!!
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: R.I.P. - Davy Jones (The Monkees)   R.I.P. - Davy Jones (The Monkees) Icon_minitimeWed Feb 29, 2012 4:53 pm

Dark Horseman wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUzs5dlLrm0

This was always one of my favorites. The fuzzed out guitar riff and wicked solo is hella-cool!

I'm gonna miss ya, Davy. Me and Marcia Brady.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

PostSubject: Re: R.I.P. - Davy Jones (The Monkees)   R.I.P. - Davy Jones (The Monkees) Icon_minitimeWed Feb 29, 2012 5:28 pm

Sad.

As a child of the '80s, I grew up watching their reruns on Nickelodeon and MTV and became a fan of them that way. My dad still has a number of their records. Got to see Davy and his "New Monkees" perform on the beach here in the area back in '99 or so. Always seemed like a good guy.
Back to top Go down
stepcousin
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stepcousin

Number of posts : 1268

PostSubject: Re: R.I.P. - Davy Jones (The Monkees)   R.I.P. - Davy Jones (The Monkees) Icon_minitimeWed Feb 29, 2012 6:27 pm

wow, just found out about Davy. This is sad news. I'm sure he's hammering away at that ol' tamburine up in heaven.

It seems to my reality that the older I get the more of my TV and rock n roll heroes are passing away.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: R.I.P. - Davy Jones (The Monkees)   R.I.P. - Davy Jones (The Monkees) Icon_minitimeWed Feb 29, 2012 6:52 pm

I stopped into Amoeba Records earlier and they were playing The Monkees over the house system, made it kind of a melancholy experience.

Back to top Go down
arachnoplasma
Metal student
Metal student
arachnoplasma

Number of posts : 244

PostSubject: Re: R.I.P. - Davy Jones (The Monkees)   R.I.P. - Davy Jones (The Monkees) Icon_minitimeWed Feb 29, 2012 7:02 pm

For as much crap as people and music snobs gave them, they really did have some very good songs. I don't own any of their albums, but I do own two "best of"'s and I enjoy them. This is very sad news.

My mother loves The Monkees. Years ago I think it was VH1 that ran a Monkees marathon, and that was my introduction to them. The show was pretty funny and the songs were catchy.
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: R.I.P. - Davy Jones (The Monkees)   R.I.P. - Davy Jones (The Monkees) Icon_minitimeWed Feb 29, 2012 8:32 pm

I loved the Monkees when I was younger. I always watched their tv show on Nick At Nite. I used to have their first record but ended up selling it in a yard sale again when I was younger (what an idiot). I don't even know why I sold it because I loved it. I guess I just wanted the money but what I ended up getting for it wasn't worth selling it. That same day I let tons of baseball cards sell for close to nothing too. I was a horrible business person when I was younger lol.

Fast forward to 1987 the Monkees released a new album called Pool It! I was so excited to find it in a store that is well out of business now, Caldor (if thats how you spelled it). Well I was so excited about finding that cassette tape I actually threw up in the store. lol. The Monkees and Def Leppard were my favorites back then. I actually liked the Pool It album, but it was nothing like the old school Monkees. I tried revisiting it not too long ago and I don't know why I liked it, the album did not age well at all.

Anyway really sad news.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Leatherface

Number of posts : 19229

PostSubject: Re: R.I.P. - Davy Jones (The Monkees)   R.I.P. - Davy Jones (The Monkees) Icon_minitimeThu Mar 01, 2012 4:09 am

R.I.P.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rickcaudill2
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: R.I.P. - Davy Jones (The Monkees)   R.I.P. - Davy Jones (The Monkees) Icon_minitimeThu Mar 01, 2012 8:35 am

RIP

On a side note, they were just talking about this on the news and mentioned this tidbit. When Davy Jones and the Monkees started to get really popular, another up and coming singer named David Jones decided to change his name.

To David Bowie.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: R.I.P. - Davy Jones (The Monkees)   R.I.P. - Davy Jones (The Monkees) Icon_minitimeThu Mar 01, 2012 9:08 am

I still love those singles 'I'm A Believer' 'Last Train to Clarksville' and I could go on and on, and The Monkees fanbase is huge in terms of age demographics,

When I got home from work, my girls where on youtube watching 'Daydream Believer' and they are 18 and 11, both discovered the Monkees music thanks to the Shrek movies.
Back to top Go down
mikeinfla
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

Number of posts : 2477

PostSubject: Re: R.I.P. - Davy Jones (The Monkees)   R.I.P. - Davy Jones (The Monkees) Icon_minitimeThu Mar 01, 2012 2:26 pm

I, too, watched it as a kid and owned many of the records. When the 80's rolled around I was a metal fan but when they did the reunion tour in 86 or so I couldn't resist and went to see them in concert. Pretty good show.

I have many of the Rhino re-issues with the bonus cuts and extended liner notes. Good stuff.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: R.I.P. - Davy Jones (The Monkees)   R.I.P. - Davy Jones (The Monkees) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

R.I.P. - Davy Jones (The Monkees)
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next