Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Judas Priest's Career Showcased With 17 CD Collection Box Set

Go down 
+19
Lari
springozzy
A Handful of Wayne
mr.electric39
ultmetal
Andy
snooloui
GrandNational
adrian
Fat Freddy
Mglaffas81
Wurthless
Metal Misfit
thejokeriv
MetalGuy71
Shawn Of Fire
manny
Rex
exact33
23 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

Judas Priest's Career Showcased With 17 CD Collection Box Set - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest's Career Showcased With 17 CD Collection Box Set   Judas Priest's Career Showcased With 17 CD Collection Box Set - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 18, 2012 3:22 pm

If only Tim Owens could work with all the labels and bands/albums he's been on to release his own box set....probably will never happen.

Besides having the remastered versions of RR and SWoD, I'm fine with my JP collection.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest's Career Showcased With 17 CD Collection Box Set   Judas Priest's Career Showcased With 17 CD Collection Box Set - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 18, 2012 3:30 pm

GrandNational wrote:
If only Tim Owens could work with all the labels and bands/albums he's been on to release his own box set....probably will never happen.

Wendy Dio (his manager) should work on that...
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest's Career Showcased With 17 CD Collection Box Set   Judas Priest's Career Showcased With 17 CD Collection Box Set - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 18, 2012 3:38 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
GrandNational wrote:

Wendy Dio (his manager) should work on that...

Now that I'd buy.

At the very least, he could do a 2-cd release of his best stuff from everything he's preformed on. Working out all the rights and whatnot would be a logistical nightmare. Cool idea though.

Metal master
Metal master
snooloui

Number of posts : 913

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest's Career Showcased With 17 CD Collection Box Set   Judas Priest's Career Showcased With 17 CD Collection Box Set - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 18, 2012 3:43 pm

I don't see the point in this. Most but not all of their albums in a great big boxset with no new or unreleased material. I'll stick with the individual releases I think. Unbelievably, I only have British Steel at the moment, but hopefully i'll change that soon Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Andy
Metal graduate
Metal graduate

Number of posts : 328

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest's Career Showcased With 17 CD Collection Box Set   Judas Priest's Career Showcased With 17 CD Collection Box Set - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 18, 2012 6:00 pm

I think it's totally acceptable to shelve the Ripper years. Priest's roots are far too deep to feel that obligated to include two rocks from the lowest point of their career. Most Priest fans are aware of those albums anyway, and Ripper was not so heavily associated with the band that he made any mark on their career, other than in the press as simply being THE GUY that replaced Rob Halford. I would make the same case for Blaze Bayley in Iron Maiden.

It's different with similar situations like Coverdale/Hughes replacing Ian Gillain in Deep Purple, or Bruce Dickinson coming on the heels of Paul Dianno. All of those singers left HUGE legacies with the respective bands and those recordings could rightfully be included in a definitive collection (even Stormbringer and No Prayer, respectively).

If I'm a big enough Priest fan to shell out for a 17 album definitive box set, I'm probably not going to fret over Ripper's material.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Andy618
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest's Career Showcased With 17 CD Collection Box Set   Judas Priest's Career Showcased With 17 CD Collection Box Set - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 18, 2012 6:02 pm

I saw Priest on tour with Ripper and I thought it was fantastic. Halford or not, it was soooo very cool seeing Priest up-close and personal in a club.

I've always thought it would be GREAT to hear Halford singing on "Cathedral Spires" and "Bullet Train". Two great songs from Jugulator.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Mglaffas81

Number of posts : 2256

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest's Career Showcased With 17 CD Collection Box Set   Judas Priest's Career Showcased With 17 CD Collection Box Set - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 18, 2012 6:19 pm

ultmetal wrote:
I saw Priest on tour with Ripper and I thought it was fantastic. Halford or not, it was soooo very cool seeing Priest up-close and personal in a club.

I've always thought it would be GREAT to hear Halford singing on "Cathedral Spires" and "Bullet Train". Two great songs from Jugulator.

I actually think that Jugulator is the weaker of the two ripper-albums - it just has far less strong songs. I never got the big love for those two songs, I feel that the two best are Blood Stained and Burn in Hell - Blood Stained, especially. Then it contains a couple of good songs like Death Row and Dead Meat, but other than that it's little more than filler. Demolition, on the other hand (and IMO), has far more strong songs. (Machine Man, One on One, Hells is Home, Jekyll and Hyde, Blood Suckers and Feed on Me).
Back to top Go down
mr.electric39
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mr.electric39

Number of posts : 1828

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest's Career Showcased With 17 CD Collection Box Set   Judas Priest's Career Showcased With 17 CD Collection Box Set - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 21, 2012 1:26 pm

I love the Priest Live 98 set.... Just listened to it yesterday... Ripper sounded fabulous on it... If anything KK & Glenns guitar tone should be altered.... so processed ... yuck.... sounds like a Line 6....

As far as the box set... It's just another money grab... The tour is over and someone trying to cash in for cheap.....
Back to top Go down
http://www.whitethronereviews.blogspot.com
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest's Career Showcased With 17 CD Collection Box Set   Judas Priest's Career Showcased With 17 CD Collection Box Set - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 21, 2012 3:16 pm

The collector in me WANTS this box set but my common sense says I dont NEED it. I have all the remasters and I think they are fine and I'm happy with them.

Metal master
Metal master
springozzy

Number of posts : 866

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest's Career Showcased With 17 CD Collection Box Set   Judas Priest's Career Showcased With 17 CD Collection Box Set - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 21, 2012 4:06 pm

Why dont they put out a boxset of demos and unrealeased songs seems to be the thing to do IMO
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest's Career Showcased With 17 CD Collection Box Set   Judas Priest's Career Showcased With 17 CD Collection Box Set - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 21, 2012 4:58 pm

Box sets are one of the few things that actually sell these days, plus they are inexpensive to produce (much cheaper than recording new material and releasing it).

Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest's Career Showcased With 17 CD Collection Box Set   Judas Priest's Career Showcased With 17 CD Collection Box Set - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 22, 2012 1:16 pm

Phoenix Reign Drummer wrote:
The collector in me WANTS this box set but my common sense says I dont NEED it. I have all the remasters and I think they are fine and I'm happy with them.

I feel the same way. I have the remasters and i am fine with that.

Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest's Career Showcased With 17 CD Collection Box Set   Judas Priest's Career Showcased With 17 CD Collection Box Set - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 22, 2012 5:58 pm

The Ripper albums (all four of them) definitely deserve to be there, but obviously it's a record label and money issue. Jugulator has been out of print for awhile now.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest's Career Showcased With 17 CD Collection Box Set   Judas Priest's Career Showcased With 17 CD Collection Box Set - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 08, 2013 1:49 pm

OK, so I just saw this box set on the shelf @ the used place for $80...if it's still there Monday, I'm snagging it.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest's Career Showcased With 17 CD Collection Box Set   Judas Priest's Career Showcased With 17 CD Collection Box Set - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 08, 2013 2:01 pm

It would be cool if I could actually get authorized remastered editions of the first two without trying to find the whole box..
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest's Career Showcased With 17 CD Collection Box Set   Judas Priest's Career Showcased With 17 CD Collection Box Set - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 08, 2013 8:26 pm

180 gram vinyl releases of each album done at 45 RPM

Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest's Career Showcased With 17 CD Collection Box Set   Judas Priest's Career Showcased With 17 CD Collection Box Set - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 08, 2013 10:32 pm

Orion Crystal Ice wrote:
It would be cool if I could actually get authorized remastered editions of the first two without trying to find the whole box..

There were Japanese remasters of Rocka Rolla and Sad Wings in the early 2000s. I have both and they make the Sony reissues sound like total crap.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest's Career Showcased With 17 CD Collection Box Set   Judas Priest's Career Showcased With 17 CD Collection Box Set - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 09, 2013 4:20 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
As far as I know, Priest themselves probably own the masters to the Ripper era stuff incl. JUGULATOR and DEMOLITION... cuz they formed their own "label" ("Priest Music") during the No-Halford era and licensed those titles out to different labels around the world (i.e. CMC and Atlantic in the U.S., SPV in Europe, etc.)...but now that Halford's back in the band they're just choosing to ignore that period (as usual)...

Quote :
Screw you guys! Demolition rules!

Judas Priest's Career Showcased With 17 CD Collection Box Set - Page 2 Screwball+squirrel "I LIKE him. He's SILLY."

Love Screwy Squirrel! However, if you replace Demolition with Jugulator, I agree with that guy. As for me, as of a few years ago I got all the Priest albums (Unleashed and Priest... Live! notwithstanding), so I don't need to buy them again.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest's Career Showcased With 17 CD Collection Box Set   Judas Priest's Career Showcased With 17 CD Collection Box Set - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 09, 2013 12:30 pm

I still gotta track down a copy of Rocka Rolla. Otherwise, my JP collection is complete as is. The box set is nice, but unnecessay for me.

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest's Career Showcased With 17 CD Collection Box Set   Judas Priest's Career Showcased With 17 CD Collection Box Set - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Judas Priest's Career Showcased With 17 CD Collection Box Set
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2