Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Metal as a career.

Go down 
+16
caniplaywithmadness?
Shiney
stormspell
mc666
GrandNational
Required Fields
Olafsto
krokus
DallasBlack
Chairman_Smith
Temple of Blood
sovdat
kmorg
Smindas
Vordul
Troublezone
20 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

Metal as a career. Empty
PostSubject: Metal as a career.   Metal as a career. Icon_minitimeSat Sep 29, 2007 3:16 am

How many bands do you think make enough money besides the obvious (Metallica,Megadeth,Slayer) to not have to work some kind of day job?
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Metal as a career. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal as a career.   Metal as a career. Icon_minitimeSat Sep 29, 2007 3:17 am

I'm guesing Nevermore doesn't have to work a day job.
Back to top Go down
Vordul
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Vordul

Number of posts : 322

Metal as a career. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal as a career.   Metal as a career. Icon_minitimeSat Sep 29, 2007 3:59 am

Overkill
Back to top Go down
Vordul
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Vordul

Number of posts : 322

Metal as a career. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal as a career.   Metal as a career. Icon_minitimeSat Sep 29, 2007 4:02 am

Ultimatum

just kiddin' listening to music
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

Metal as a career. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal as a career.   Metal as a career. Icon_minitimeSat Sep 29, 2007 4:59 am

I would actually think Nevermore do have generally have day jobs. I really doubt they make a huge amount of money, and wit all of them having had health problems recently, that may be their fly in the ointment, so to speak.

Besides, I heard Warrel's day job is as a chef Razz

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

Metal as a career. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal as a career.   Metal as a career. Icon_minitimeSat Sep 29, 2007 6:47 am

Nevermore can live of the music. Iced Eart too. Probably most of the band that are in the "mainstream" metal circuits can live off of the music. Blind Guardian, Gamma Ray, Helloween, Symphony X, Kamelot, Pagan's Mind etc. etc.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal

Number of posts : 1786

Metal as a career. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal as a career.   Metal as a career. Icon_minitimeSat Sep 29, 2007 7:26 am

Nevermore - maybe now, but when Pat O'Brien did a interview for Paranoid zine in 2004, as a member of Cannibal Corpse, he said that it's better now in CC, because they can live out of the music, while the guys in Nevermore couldn't afford that and they had to have their regular jobs as well.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

Metal as a career. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal as a career.   Metal as a career. Icon_minitimeSat Sep 29, 2007 7:46 am

Mainly the ones who were making it in the 80s and are still around.

I always heard Nevermore all worked at a pizzeria when they were off tour. And that Jon Schaffer ran a store on the side.
Back to top Go down
Chairman_Smith
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Chairman_Smith

Number of posts : 1636

Metal as a career. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal as a career.   Metal as a career. Icon_minitimeSat Sep 29, 2007 9:03 am

Welders get paid pretty well Laughing
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

Metal as a career. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal as a career.   Metal as a career. Icon_minitimeSat Sep 29, 2007 9:20 am

Dream Theater for sure. With their cult following and the multiple projects they do, all members make enough. That is not speculation, I've actually read about that in interviews.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

Metal as a career. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal as a career.   Metal as a career. Icon_minitimeSat Sep 29, 2007 11:31 am

DallasBlack wrote:
Dream Theater for sure. With their cult following and the multiple projects they do, all members make enough. That is not speculation, I've actually read about that in interviews.

They deserve it, they work hard. Even if I don't like any of their recent albums.
Back to top Go down
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Number of posts : 4238

Metal as a career. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal as a career.   Metal as a career. Icon_minitimeSat Sep 29, 2007 11:44 am

TANKARD for exemple still have jobs beside the band. They didnt work from 89 till 91 (living from the band only) but then again they had to start working. SAD BUT TRUE.
Back to top Go down
Olafsto
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Olafsto

Number of posts : 2522

Metal as a career. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal as a career.   Metal as a career. Icon_minitimeSat Sep 29, 2007 12:21 pm

I think it is very hard for a lot of bands to make a living playing music these days. Bands sell a lot less cd`s now, and there are too many good bands and too few metalheads to buy records and go to live shows.
My good friends in Communic are signed to Nuclear Blast, they get great reeviews all over the world, they sell ok, they are playing Wacken, Prog Power UK, Prog Power US, Rock Hard and lots of other festivals, they are only three persons to share what they get paid.
Still they have to have regular jobs, the little they earn playing, they use to buy equipment, banners, instruments ++.
Like KROKUS says: Sad but true.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/olafsto
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

Metal as a career. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal as a career.   Metal as a career. Icon_minitimeSat Sep 29, 2007 1:18 pm

I've heard even groups like In Flames live a life not unlike your typical local 9 to 5 people.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
sovdat
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal

Number of posts : 1786

Metal as a career. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal as a career.   Metal as a career. Icon_minitimeSat Sep 29, 2007 1:39 pm

krokus wrote:
TANKARD for exemple still have jobs beside the band. They didnt work from 89 till 91 (living from the band only) but then again they had to start working. SAD BUT TRUE.

Yeah .. Frank is selling Jaguar cars, Olaf is making car brakes, Andy is an engineer, and Gerre is, by his own words, social worker although he is an alcoholic Smile

Sinister for example, are on Nuclear Blast now, and they paid them the recording for the new album, but here's what they get out of it: (as far as I can remember, I'm not 100% sure about it) - for first 10.000 nothing, and then few euros from each CD sold.
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

Metal as a career. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal as a career.   Metal as a career. Icon_minitimeSat Sep 29, 2007 1:49 pm

I think most bands that are continually touring and recording like Sepultura, Overkill, Saxon, Slayer, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, etc., probably have enough dough to go around. Most probably bands like IM and JP who have been around a long time and sold millions of records, so I'm sure they are doing fine.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

Metal as a career. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal as a career.   Metal as a career. Icon_minitimeSat Sep 29, 2007 7:07 pm

who cares? working a real job like the rest of us slobs may keep these rock stars grounded.

stormspell
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stormspell

Number of posts : 1593

Metal as a career. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal as a career.   Metal as a career. Icon_minitimeSat Sep 29, 2007 8:03 pm

sovdat wrote:
Sinister for example, are on Nuclear Blast now, and they paid them the recording for the new album, but here's what they get out of it: (as far as I can remember, I'm not 100% sure about it) - for first 10.000 nothing, and then few euros from each CD sold.

Yes, that's how big labels pay. They will advance you some money for the recording, and then will start paying you cuts from sold CDs after a certain amount have been sold. I doubt Sinister get paid several Euros per CD sold, though, it is most probably under 1 Euro per CD. I once read somewhere that most major companies pay no more than up to 25 cents insane - a band of 5 members needs to sell MANY million CDs per year to be able to make a living out of it...

So obviously not many bands can live on CD sales alone - they mainly do it by playing live and selling merchandise. In other words, if you want to support your favourite band - go see it live and buy a shirt Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.cdbaby.com/all/stormspell
Shiney
Scarred But Smarter
Scarred But Smarter
Shiney

Number of posts : 3487

Metal as a career. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal as a career.   Metal as a career. Icon_minitimeSat Sep 29, 2007 8:07 pm

And that is why shirts are $35 or more at shows...

Metal master
Metal master
caniplaywithmadness?

Number of posts : 515

Metal as a career. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal as a career.   Metal as a career. Icon_minitimeSat Sep 29, 2007 8:41 pm

how do bands manage to have a career if they need to take a few months of every once in a while for touring?
Back to top Go down

Metal as a career. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal as a career.   Metal as a career. Icon_minitimeSat Sep 29, 2007 9:03 pm

A few years back, Devin Townsend was still working at A&W. Then he started producing and got more notoriety for that, thus SYL did better. Now Devin doesn't need to work a day job.

Dan Swano until recently worked at a record shop. Now he's turned to mixing albums for bands—for $35 a song, by the way...wicked cheap!

I would assume 9 out of 10 members of bands have some sort of alternate income, whether it's a more normal day job, or something like giving guitar lessons, doing studio musician work, or what have you. Not many musicians can sustain themselves on band money alone, unless they're touring 365 days a year and only need money to eat.
Back to top Go down

Metal as a career. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal as a career.   Metal as a career. Icon_minitimeSun Sep 30, 2007 2:43 am

King Diamond.
Back to top Go down
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

Number of posts : 4429

Metal as a career. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal as a career.   Metal as a career. Icon_minitimeMon Oct 01, 2007 5:51 am

Temple of Blood wrote:
DallasBlack wrote:

They deserve it, they work hard. Even if I don't like any of their recent albums.

i dont thinlk their new album was that bad!

i dont think opeth need day jobs cos they mostly all have other projects
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Metal as a career. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal as a career.   Metal as a career. Icon_minitimeMon Oct 01, 2007 7:07 am

AC/DC and Iron Maiden make a killing with merch sales and the big arena tours. They got AC/DC sleep pants at wal-mart and every kid and their mother own a Iron Maiden t-shirt.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

Metal as a career. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal as a career.   Metal as a career. Icon_minitimeMon Oct 01, 2007 7:42 am

troublezone wrote:
AC/DC and Iron Maiden make a killing with merch sales and the big arena tours. They got AC/DC sleep pants at wal-mart and every kid and their mother own a Iron Maiden t-shirt.

Funny you should mention that: I own 8 Maiden shirts currently and have had over 10 in my short lifetime and I onw AC/DC sleep pants.Laughing
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Sponsored content

Metal as a career. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal as a career.   Metal as a career. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Metal as a career.
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next