Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Black Sabbath Riff

Go down 
+4
Witchfinder
Temple of Blood
James B.
ProgDoom
8 posters
AuthorMessage
ProgDoom
Metal novice
Metal novice
ProgDoom

Number of posts : 33

The Black Sabbath Riff Empty
PostSubject: The Black Sabbath Riff   The Black Sabbath Riff Icon_minitimeSun Nov 27, 2011 9:59 pm

I know that Geezer was trying to play a classical riff, but accidently played the tri-tone. Does anyone know what the classical song was called?
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: The Black Sabbath Riff   The Black Sabbath Riff Icon_minitimeSun Nov 27, 2011 10:02 pm

Is this a question or a riddle ?

Metal novice
Metal novice
ProgDoom

Number of posts : 33

PostSubject: Re: The Black Sabbath Riff   The Black Sabbath Riff Icon_minitimeSun Nov 27, 2011 10:30 pm

Question. I know I saw something about it on Metal Evolution.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: The Black Sabbath Riff   The Black Sabbath Riff Icon_minitimeSun Nov 27, 2011 11:21 pm

I kinda doubt this is true.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Black Sabbath Riff   The Black Sabbath Riff Icon_minitimeSun Nov 27, 2011 11:27 pm

These guys listened to a variety of musical styles, they would have been familiar with the tri-tone. I think it was on purpose and not a mistake.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

PostSubject: Re: The Black Sabbath Riff   The Black Sabbath Riff Icon_minitimeSun Nov 27, 2011 11:32 pm

It was this:

Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/

PostSubject: Re: The Black Sabbath Riff   The Black Sabbath Riff Icon_minitimeMon Nov 28, 2011 12:13 am

King Crimson was playing "Mars: Bringer of War" as a concert feature in 1969. The piece as they performed it was very "doomy".

Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: The Black Sabbath Riff   The Black Sabbath Riff Icon_minitimeMon Nov 28, 2011 1:24 pm

Geezer was playing Mars as a warm up, and Iommi took it and turned it into that riff.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
Andy
Metal graduate
Metal graduate

Number of posts : 328

PostSubject: Re: The Black Sabbath Riff   The Black Sabbath Riff Icon_minitimeMon Nov 28, 2011 2:14 pm

As a sidenote to this discussion, the creation of heavy metal was not a coordinated event. It was really a matter of the right group of people producing the right kind of sound with the right kind of attitude at the right time. The pioneers of our genre drew most of their "heavy" sounding influences from bombastic, classical compositions because there was really nothing heavier than that at the time.

Lemmy has a great quote he said in an interview, he said "I remember before there was rock 'n roll." I can't imagine what that was like, because as a 21 year old, I've spent the last 11 years of my life going back and re-discovering the influences of all of the bands I've listened to over the years. I guess that's why my collection is so expansive and includes everything from Howlin' Wolf to Ensiferum. But Lemmy's underlying point is that everyone in heavy music was basically influenced by the same few styles and sounds, giving way to a nearly infinite array of sub-genres.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Andy618
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

PostSubject: Re: The Black Sabbath Riff   The Black Sabbath Riff Icon_minitimeMon Nov 28, 2011 2:46 pm

Another reason why I dig this board, always discovering new things and the roots of metal. Found this video with a simple YT search, although Sabbath is not included but should have been:

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Black Sabbath Riff   The Black Sabbath Riff Icon_minitimeMon Nov 28, 2011 3:02 pm

Start this around the 4:30 mark. King Crimson performing Mars, 1969.
Back to top Go down
TrogDawn
Janitor of the Void
TrogDawn

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: The Black Sabbath Riff   The Black Sabbath Riff Icon_minitimeMon Nov 28, 2011 9:06 pm

Diamond Head appropriated "Mars: Bringer Of War" as the intro to "Am I Evil"

Back to top Go down
https://bandcamp.com/stonegrooverecords/following
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Black Sabbath Riff   The Black Sabbath Riff Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Black Sabbath Riff
Page 1 of 1