Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Power Metal for a (sort of) beginner

Go down 
+22
DeathCult
scottmitchell74
jettafiend
firestarter
Mglaffas81
exact33
Lurideath
thejokeriv
allthingsmetal
Spiner202
Lari
EmoElmo
Smindas
kmorg
Fat Freddy
snooloui
bassman
A Handful of Wayne
Wargod
Stender
tohostudios
metalhead777
26 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

Power Metal for a (sort of) beginner - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Power Metal for a (sort of) beginner   Power Metal for a (sort of) beginner - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 22, 2011 4:59 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Quote :
Meh. I wouldn't say there's a "clear" difference in quality, but I do prefer Keepers 2.

I dunno, I always preferred "1'." The big "epic" closer of "2" ("Keeper of the Seven Keys") pales in comparison to the similar "Halloween" on the first disc, and "2' has a couple of goofy songs on it that drag it down further, i.e. "Dr. Stein" (I can't stand the chorus in that song!)

But as Dennis Miller sez "Of course, that's just my opinion, I could be wrong..."
Yeah, I can see how and where we disagree completely. "Halloween" is one of their most overrated tracks and I'll take "Keeper" over it any day. And I was actually going to name fun tracks such as Dr. Stein and Rise and Fall among the reasons WHY I prefer that record to Keepers 1. Razz But then opted for the short response. Bottom line is, the first three Helloween albums are great for cracking open a beer and singing along. The best, actually. And Keeper 2 just does it better than than Keeper 1. Slightly.

Fat Freddy wrote:
and "Rise and Fall" (which is one of the most irritating songs in the Helloween catalog, bar none!)
I was humming this at work. I think it's absolutely marvelous. I love songs with great, memorable verses. "Romeo loved his Juliet, their parents told them 'stop', then it all turned out peculiar, he couldn't get it up". You tell me how a lyric can get better than that! lol! And I didn't even have a beer. The whole song is so stupid it's actually awesome. Or... maybe it isn't actually stupid, maybe it's a profound take on classical literature and pop culture (and juvenile penis jokes)? A psychologist should write a book on Helloween lyrics. And dedicate a chapter to "Reptile".
Back to top Go down
Mglaffas81
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Mglaffas81

Number of posts : 2256

PostSubject: Re: Power Metal for a (sort of) beginner   Power Metal for a (sort of) beginner - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 22, 2011 5:06 pm

Keepers Part 1 has Helloween's greatest song ever written, Halloween, on it so that album wins.
Back to top Go down
EmoElmo
Metal master
Metal master
EmoElmo

Number of posts : 626

PostSubject: Re: Power Metal for a (sort of) beginner   Power Metal for a (sort of) beginner - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 22, 2011 5:44 pm

Keeper 1 suffers from bad Production, which is a turn-off. Back in the days when I had this CD, I was so pissed that I had to 're-mix' it my self in Audacity to crank up those missing/weak frequencies, burned a CDR where it served as the main CD for listening. Yeah and even if Keeper 1 had the same production value as Keeper 2, there's no way Keeper 1 would win... A lot of people hate HAPPY METAL and I can see the reason why, Keeper 1 was good but it lacked that punch and refined songwriting from Keeper 2.
Back to top Go down
snooloui
Metal master
Metal master
snooloui

Number of posts : 913

PostSubject: Re: Power Metal for a (sort of) beginner   Power Metal for a (sort of) beginner - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 22, 2011 6:20 pm

I would agree, Part 1 doesn't sound great whereas Part 2 sounds awesome.
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: Power Metal for a (sort of) beginner   Power Metal for a (sort of) beginner - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 22, 2011 7:17 pm

Actually if I remember correctly the band didn't like the overall sound of Keeper 2 after it was finished. I'll have to go and check. I actually thought Keeper 1 was the better sounding of the two.

Another suggestion for a Power Metal band to check out is Sabaton. I just got done listening to "The Art Of War". Great album!

Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

PostSubject: Re: Power Metal for a (sort of) beginner   Power Metal for a (sort of) beginner - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 22, 2011 7:25 pm

I was right. Weiketh would have liked the keeper 1 sound, but Tommy Hansen was fired during recording because Tommy Newton wanted to mix it himself and make it more modern sounding.

Metal student
Metal student
firestarter

Number of posts : 109

PostSubject: Re: Power Metal for a (sort of) beginner   Power Metal for a (sort of) beginner - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 23, 2011 2:14 pm

Funny, what people call Power Metal... Wink
Back to top Go down
EmoElmo
Metal master
Metal master
EmoElmo

Number of posts : 626

PostSubject: Re: Power Metal for a (sort of) beginner   Power Metal for a (sort of) beginner - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 23, 2011 3:18 pm

firestarter wrote:

It has the Power to infect Happiness ... giggidy
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

PostSubject: Re: Power Metal for a (sort of) beginner   Power Metal for a (sort of) beginner - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 23, 2011 4:56 pm

firestarter wrote:

yes yes we all know what the first wave of Power Metal was, bands like Metal Church etc. but that term hasn't been used for those kind of bands in a very long time and honestly I don't think even most people knew that. Anyway, maybe the thread should be renamed European Power Metal so there is no confusion for some people.

The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: Power Metal for a (sort of) beginner   Power Metal for a (sort of) beginner - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 23, 2011 5:08 pm

not another genre war!!!!

jettafiend
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

Number of posts : 1137

PostSubject: Re: Power Metal for a (sort of) beginner   Power Metal for a (sort of) beginner - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 29, 2011 12:44 pm

Lari wrote:
Phoenix Reign Drummer wrote:
I'm a huge Helloween fan and I love every single album, yes even Chameleon. Every time Helloween is mentioned everyone says get the Keepers albums. What is honestly so great about those albums that no one likes about the newer ones? Don't get me wrong they are my favorite band, but I think their albums get better and better. Yes they fell off a little with Bubbles and Chameleon but that was a hard time for any metal band to be around doing this type of music. All I'm saying is with 15 albums and people still go back to those Keepers albums doesn't make sense.
Yeah, from Deris-era especially Better than Raw, "Rabbit" and "Gambling" are awesome.

And generally from non-Kiske Helloween albums, Walls of Jericho, of course.

Fat Freddy wrote:

Even more puzzling is that "Keeper Part 2" seems to get more fanboy love than Part 1, even though Part 1 is clearly the superior of the two.
Meh. I wouldn't say there's a "clear" difference in quality, but I do prefer Keepers 2.

I would personally recommend "Master of the Rings" as my personal fave. I like the variety on that album. As far as their heaviness is concerned, "Dark Ride" for sure.
Back to top Go down
jettafiend
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

PostSubject: Re: Power Metal for a (sort of) beginner   Power Metal for a (sort of) beginner - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 29, 2011 12:52 pm

I would highly recommend the new Theocracy album "As the World Bleeds" as it is so freakin good!

Theocracy - As the World Bleeds or Mirror of Souls, Primal Fear - Nuclear Fire or 16.6, Helloween - Master of the Rings, Angel Dust - Of Human Bondage, Running Wild - The Brotherhood or Black Hand Inn, and HammerFall - Chapter V or Threshold are all fantastic albums.
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

PostSubject: Re: Power Metal for a (sort of) beginner   Power Metal for a (sort of) beginner - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 29, 2011 1:14 pm

Must haves that haven't been mentioned yet:

Blind Guardian - Nightfall In Middle Earth

Brainstorm - Liquid Monster

Timeless Miracle - Into the Enchanted Chamber

Masterplan - S/T

Masterplan - Aeronautics
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Power Metal for a (sort of) beginner   Power Metal for a (sort of) beginner - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 29, 2011 2:28 pm

scottmitchell74 wrote:
Must haves that haven't been mentioned yet:

Blind Guardian - Nightfall In Middle Earth

Brainstorm - Liquid Monster

Timeless Miracle - Into the Enchanted Chamber

Masterplan - S/T

Masterplan - Aeronautics

scott speaks the truth, especially with that Timeless Miracle.

metalhead777
Metal master
Metal master
metalhead777

Number of posts : 842

PostSubject: Re: Power Metal for a (sort of) beginner   Power Metal for a (sort of) beginner - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 29, 2011 3:44 pm

jettafiend wrote:
I would highly recommend the new Theocracy album "As the World Bleeds" as it is so freakin good!

Theocracy - As the World Bleeds or Mirror of Souls, Primal Fear - Nuclear Fire or 16.6, Helloween - Master of the Rings, Angel Dust - Of Human Bondage, Running Wild - The Brotherhood or Black Hand Inn, and HammerFall - Chapter V or Threshold are all fantastic albums.
I had both Mirror of Souls and the first Theocracy album. Other than a single song (the self titled "Theocracy") I hated both albums.

But, I guess its just not my thing. Its more Prog metal anyway.
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: Power Metal for a (sort of) beginner   Power Metal for a (sort of) beginner - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 29, 2011 7:59 pm

firestarter wrote:

yes yes we all know what the first wave of Power Metal was, bands like Metal Church etc. but that term hasn't been used for those kind of bands in a very long time and honestly I don't think even most people knew that. Anyway, maybe the thread should be renamed European Power Metal so there is no confusion for some people.

Someone thought Metal Church was power metal? That's a new one haha. We called them speed metal back then. When I think power metal, Helloween is the first band that's always come to mind actually.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Power Metal for a (sort of) beginner   Power Metal for a (sort of) beginner - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 29, 2011 9:32 pm

DeathCult wrote:
firestarter wrote:

Someone thought Metal Church was power metal? That's a new one haha. We called them speed metal back then. When I think power metal, Helloween is the first band that's always come to mind actually.

I agree with DC. Never of MEtal Church as power metal...

James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: Power Metal for a (sort of) beginner   Power Metal for a (sort of) beginner - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 29, 2011 11:08 pm

This is why I hate "genres"

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

PostSubject: Re: Power Metal for a (sort of) beginner   Power Metal for a (sort of) beginner - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 29, 2011 11:35 pm

metalhead777 wrote:
jettafiend wrote:

I had both Mirror of Souls and the first Theocracy album. Other than a single song (the self titled "Theocracy") I hated both albums.

But, I guess its just not my thing. Its more Prog metal anyway.

I love the prog influences that the band throws in. I have heard the first album and it was just bleh. Nothing special about it. I think that it just sounded sterile. Brainstorm is another one of those prog/power bands that I highly endorse.
Back to top Go down
snooloui
Metal master
Metal master
snooloui

Number of posts : 913

PostSubject: Re: Power Metal for a (sort of) beginner   Power Metal for a (sort of) beginner - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 30, 2011 7:04 am

On a completely unrelated point, has anyone heard Secret Sphere's latest? They ripped off both Hammerfall and Warrant on the same album lol!
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Power Metal for a (sort of) beginner   Power Metal for a (sort of) beginner - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 30, 2011 8:27 am

snooloui wrote:
On a completely unrelated point, has anyone heard Secret Sphere's latest? They ripped off both Hammerfall and Warrant on the same album lol!

maybe they could give the stuff back to Hammerfall? They seem to be missing it nowadays...

BearOnUnicycle
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
BearOnUnicycle

Number of posts : 1064

PostSubject: Re: Power Metal for a (sort of) beginner   Power Metal for a (sort of) beginner - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 30, 2011 11:35 am

Running Wild is all you need in euro-power Razz
Also worth listening are Rage (prefer their earlier more speed-metal material), Scanner (if you like Walls of Jerico Helloween) and Sabaton (power... no, POWER in every song).
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Power Metal for a (sort of) beginner   Power Metal for a (sort of) beginner - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 30, 2011 9:50 pm

BearOnUnicycle wrote:
Running Wild is all you need in euro-power Razz
Also worth listening are Rage (prefer their earlier more speed-metal material), Scanner (if you like Walls of Jerico Helloween) and Sabaton (power... no, POWER in every song).

naw - you need to have Grave Digger as well...

Andy
Metal graduate
Metal graduate

Number of posts : 328

PostSubject: Re: Power Metal for a (sort of) beginner   Power Metal for a (sort of) beginner - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 02, 2011 1:35 pm

The beauty of the genre is that it is very malleable with a lot of different takes and fusions on the style, all while still retaining the core elements that make it power metal. You can jam to Stratovarius one minute, and still enjoy Children of Bodom the next.

It is entirely over-saturated, which is both good and bad. Good because you have a seemingly infinite array of different bands to choose to get in to. Bad of course because a good majority of them are too derivative of the same handful of pioneering power metal bands.

Most of the essentials have already been discussed, but the more you delve into them, the more obscure stuff you'll discover. Go to youtube and search for some Blind Guardian or something. The related videos will often lead you to hidden gems.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Andy618
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Power Metal for a (sort of) beginner   Power Metal for a (sort of) beginner - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 02, 2011 6:04 pm

yeah - there still are some gems out there but i find the genre lacking nowadays...

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Power Metal for a (sort of) beginner   Power Metal for a (sort of) beginner - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Power Metal for a (sort of) beginner
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next