Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

More bad news for the CD.

Go down 
+35
Wayne
stormspell
EmoElmo
Joe
mlotek
Alex Dee Rokket
snooloui
The_Jayroh
DallasBlack
chewie
manny
Rex
Gilbert
Ben Grimm
Lari
tohostudios
mr.electric39
James B.
Cognitive Dissonance
GrandNational
Eyesore
thejokeriv
kmorg
Mglaffas81
mc666
MetalGuy71
A Handful of Wayne
Metal Misfit
Fat Freddy
sheets
exact33
Required Fields
ultmetal
Temple of Blood
Troublezone
39 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

More bad news for the CD. Empty
PostSubject: More bad news for the CD.   More bad news for the CD. Icon_minitimeWed Nov 16, 2011 12:39 pm

Used Cds will be around for years. But we won't get new physical copies (except for maybe a few independent artists and labels)... Mint condition will be like gold for music traders.

http://www.dailyfinance.com/2011/11/15/music-lovers-prepare-to-say-goodbye-to-the-cd/?icid=maing-grid10%7Chtmlws-main-bb%7Cdl16%7Csec1_lnk3%7C113231
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: More bad news for the CD.   More bad news for the CD. Icon_minitimeWed Nov 16, 2011 12:44 pm

It's the new vinyl.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: More bad news for the CD.   More bad news for the CD. Icon_minitimeWed Nov 16, 2011 12:52 pm

So in 2020 we'll see a resurgence of coillector's CDs like we are seeing now with vinyl?

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28460

PostSubject: Re: More bad news for the CD.   More bad news for the CD. Icon_minitimeWed Nov 16, 2011 12:59 pm

ultmetal wrote:
So in 2020 we'll see a resurgence of coillector's CDs like we are seeing now with vinyl?

Who knows?

Although, where I live, there are actually no stores that sell vinyl.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: More bad news for the CD.   More bad news for the CD. Icon_minitimeWed Nov 16, 2011 1:04 pm

i saw that. We shall see. I am leaning towards digital now though...

sheets
Metal master
Metal master
sheets

Number of posts : 638

PostSubject: Re: More bad news for the CD.   More bad news for the CD. Icon_minitimeWed Nov 16, 2011 1:16 pm

I think the only thing that will get me to go digital is just to get a hold of music by bands that are too small-time to get new CDs produced or to have older, out-of-print work reissued on CD. If anything, I'm leaning right now more and more toward looking at record players and building a vinyl collection.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37658

PostSubject: Re: More bad news for the CD.   More bad news for the CD. Icon_minitimeWed Nov 16, 2011 1:20 pm

(fingers in ears)

Nope. Nope nope nope. Nope nope nope nope nope.

I REFUSE to go digital dammit!!!

(stands firm, arms crossed)

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: More bad news for the CD.   More bad news for the CD. Icon_minitimeWed Nov 16, 2011 1:32 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
(fingers in ears)

Nope. Nope nope nope. Nope nope nope nope nope.

I REFUSE to go digital dammit!!!

(stands firm, arms crossed)

And like vinyl, your CDs will only increase in value. Collector's will be looking for them actively because unlike the switch from vinyl to cassette to CD, there is no longer a physical media to collect with digital.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

PostSubject: Re: More bad news for the CD.   More bad news for the CD. Icon_minitimeWed Nov 16, 2011 1:36 pm

So CDs only have a year to go? Highly doubt that.

And besides, I'm pretty sure this format is safe and will stay stronger than even the vinyl market. People who prefer CDs will always be able to get CDs just as they can get vinyl if that's their preference.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: More bad news for the CD.   More bad news for the CD. Icon_minitimeWed Nov 16, 2011 1:38 pm

What I don't like about the digital format is that there will no longer be liner-notes, lyrics and artwork... and the music quality is inferior.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37658

PostSubject: Re: More bad news for the CD.   More bad news for the CD. Icon_minitimeWed Nov 16, 2011 1:45 pm

ultmetal wrote:

And like vinyl, your CDs will only increase in value. Collector's will be looking for them actively because unlike the switch from vinyl to cassette to CD, there is no longer a physical media to collect with digital.

Which is all well 'n' good but that's never been a factor in my collecting either.

I don't care how much $$ they're worth, Y'ALL KIN HAVE MAH CEE-DEES WHEN YA PRY'EM FROM MY COLD DEAD FINGERS!!

angry

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: More bad news for the CD.   More bad news for the CD. Icon_minitimeWed Nov 16, 2011 1:49 pm

We've all seen it coming... with the closing of most music stores and the shrinking selections at Walmart, Target and Best Buy. I'm not sure it's gonna fade as fast as the article said... but it's definitley not the preferred format these days with kids.

Last edited by Troublezone on Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: More bad news for the CD.   More bad news for the CD. Icon_minitimeWed Nov 16, 2011 1:52 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
ultmetal wrote:

Which is all well 'n' good but that's never been a factor in my collecting either.

I don't care how much $$ they're worth, Y'ALL KIN HAVE MAH CEE-DEES WHEN YA PRY'EM FROM MY COLD DEAD FINGERS!!

angry

haha exactly. DEM CDS BE MINE!

Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: More bad news for the CD.   More bad news for the CD. Icon_minitimeWed Nov 16, 2011 1:55 pm

Some people that don't care are gonna be having a lot of drink coasters and frisbees lying around the house.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: More bad news for the CD.   More bad news for the CD. Icon_minitimeWed Nov 16, 2011 2:02 pm

Troublezone wrote:
We've all seen it coming... with the closing of most music stores and the shrinking selections at Walmart, Target and Best Buy. I'm not sure it's gonna fade as fast as the article said... but it's definitley not the preferred format these days with kids.

I agree. It's inevitiable that the cd format will go away at some point. I just don't think it will go away as quickly as that article makes it out to be. He's theorizing and speculating (correctly for the most part), but I didn't see any rock solid facts that say all record companies are abandoning the format.

And he's talking about major record labels and big chain retail stores, neither of which most of us here rely on for music anyway these days.

I won't start to worry until the news comes out that Sony (or whomever manufactures actual cds) is stopping the production of the format. When the physical product is no longer made, then I'll be concerned.

Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: More bad news for the CD.   More bad news for the CD. Icon_minitimeWed Nov 16, 2011 2:17 pm

i don't know if i give a crap anymore. i used to really piss & moan about it, but it's gonna happen in my lifetime. i might as well roll with it. as i get older, stuff like this just means less to me.

Mglaffas81
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Mglaffas81

Number of posts : 2255

PostSubject: Re: More bad news for the CD.   More bad news for the CD. Icon_minitimeWed Nov 16, 2011 2:39 pm

Troublezone wrote:
What I don't like about the digital format is that there will no longer be liner-notes, lyrics and artwork... and the music quality is inferior.

You are spot on! It's not just about the music, it's almost like a little piece of jewelry, with the artwork and everything, just like you said. It's not just about the music - what's cool about having a sh!tload of files collected on a hard drive with JPEG images you can click on? Lame - and yeah, there's also the superior sound quality. I'm with you
Back to top Go down
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

PostSubject: Re: More bad news for the CD.   More bad news for the CD. Icon_minitimeWed Nov 16, 2011 2:57 pm

Artwork is standard with digital music... if you buy legally. And even if you don't, it's pretty easy to copy & paste artwork into the song file.

Liner notes & lyrics also come with digital releases as well. Once digital truly takes over, this will become standard.

I just wonder how the band is gonna sign my pre-ordered mp3 file..? surprised
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: More bad news for the CD.   More bad news for the CD. Icon_minitimeWed Nov 16, 2011 3:05 pm

mc666 wrote:
i don't know if i give a crap anymore. i used to really piss & moan about it, but it's gonna happen in my lifetime. i might as well roll with it. as i get older, stuff like this just means less to me.

I think I'm with Monty on this one. I'll still have my 3000 CD's to play 'til they throw me in the wooden pencil anyway. I might not bother to listen to new music, but as of late I've been going backwards in time, listening to mostly older music anyway.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: More bad news for the CD.   More bad news for the CD. Icon_minitimeWed Nov 16, 2011 3:18 pm

Quote :
'til they throw me in the wooden pencil anyway.

More bad news for the CD. 685534 Must be a Norwegian thing.

I've purchased roughly 25 2011 releases this year and without having them in front of me to check, I'd be willing to bet that less than 5 are on a "major record label". So unless companies like Roadrunner or Megafore go all digital, I don't think we have to worry.

If the next Katy Perry release is available in digital only, I somehow think I'll survive.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: More bad news for the CD.   More bad news for the CD. Icon_minitimeWed Nov 16, 2011 3:26 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Quote :

Pencil case?

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: More bad news for the CD.   More bad news for the CD. Icon_minitimeWed Nov 16, 2011 3:46 pm

kmorg wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
Quote :

Pencil case?

Pine box maybe? Putting someone in a wooden pencil case for their eternal resting place seems a bit extreme to me, but what do I know.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: More bad news for the CD.   More bad news for the CD. Icon_minitimeWed Nov 16, 2011 4:01 pm

I don;t see the established Metal acts not releasing a physical product
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: More bad news for the CD.   More bad news for the CD. Icon_minitimeWed Nov 16, 2011 4:14 pm

mc666 wrote:
Agreed.

I'm on the verge of selling my entire collection, to be honest. Although a love a Wall-o-CDs, the music is more important to me.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: More bad news for the CD.   More bad news for the CD. Icon_minitimeWed Nov 16, 2011 4:15 pm

thejokeriv wrote:
I don;t see the established Metal acts not releasing a physical product

i think you are probably right on that one but i can see the price of the physical product going up. A lot.

I am with Kurt - I will listen to my cds but I have to admit - when shopping on amazon there is a price difference between the two formats that can be sizeable.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: More bad news for the CD.   More bad news for the CD. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

More bad news for the CD.
Page 1 of 6Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next