Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Anyone a fan of Relapse records?

Go down 
+9
mlotek
Fat Freddy
The_Jayroh
nevermore
James B.
mc666
rawr!
Spiner202
Alex Dee Rokket
13 posters
AuthorMessage
Alex Dee Rokket
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Alex Dee Rokket

Number of posts : 1095

Anyone a fan of Relapse records? Empty
PostSubject: Anyone a fan of Relapse records?   Anyone a fan of Relapse records? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 05, 2011 9:17 pm

I never thought of the idea of being a 'fan' of a label but Relapse seems to me, to have a very strong roster of diverse metal bands. With perhaps Mastodon being at the forefront of their current roster, the other bands seem to follow suit in term of unique quality.

I also like the 'Mix Tape' side of Relapse's website where you can listen to an eclectic selection of recent albums from the label's various artists.

One album that recently grabbed me a lot is "Gift Horse" by a band called Mose Giganticus. It is difficult to explain what style they play, but it is essentially a more prog-sounding Mastodon (though that may be a little off the mark). In any case, these guys bring a very fresh take on metal from their instrumental side which paints a very epic image of their album's theme to the very powerful vocals, which although do not reach very high octaves, provide in a very clear and powerful tone the interplay between good and evil. In that regard, "Gift Horse" is a Christian mythological inspired album of the struggles between God and Lucifer - even that theme alone adds a fresh dimension to the themes commonly explored in metal.

In any case, I think this band really deserves a wider audience. Check out the full length album here:

http://mosegiganticus.bandcamp.com/releases

Lastly, I realize that I asked whether anyone is a fan of Relapse records - my intention is to flesh out some other artists that you like from the label's roster. As I mentioned above, I think Relapse's roster is very rich in diversity covering nearly all types of metal (sans power metal) and more often than not, nearly every artist of theirs brings something different from the other.
Back to top Go down
Spiner202
Metal graduate
Metal graduate

Number of posts : 283

PostSubject: Re: Anyone a fan of Relapse records?   Anyone a fan of Relapse records? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 05, 2011 9:20 pm

I'm a fan of ordering from Relapse! I ordered the Death Individual Thought Patterns reissue/Hoodie and I got a FREE Obscura shirt!

I'm taking a look at their roster now and the only bands I listen to are Dekapitator, Obscura, and Toxic Holocaust. I am interested in tracking down some Spawn of Possession though.

Back to top Go down
rawr!
Metal graduate
Metal graduate

Number of posts : 372

PostSubject: Re: Anyone a fan of Relapse records?   Anyone a fan of Relapse records? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 06, 2011 6:34 am

in browsing, im familiar with a fair number of their bands but i dont actively listen to more than maybe 5-10 of them. my favorites are weapon, spawn of possession, toxic holocaust, rotten sound, exhumed, and maybe a couple of others like devourment or cephalic carnage. inevitable end, interesting....i wish they didnt change their sound (but i suppose i wouldnt be mentioning them if they didnt, as they wouldnt be on the roster). there are definitely some bands i would avoid on there, like black anvil, but i suppose thats the way it goes for most labels.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Anyone a fan of Relapse records?   Anyone a fan of Relapse records? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 06, 2011 6:57 am

Spiner202 wrote:
I'm a fan of ordering from Relapse!
they've always had great mail order.

James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12632

PostSubject: Re: Anyone a fan of Relapse records?   Anyone a fan of Relapse records? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 06, 2011 7:49 am

Dekapitator and Toxic Holocaust are the only things I own from the label....oh yeah ! a comp cd (I think)

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25900

PostSubject: Re: Anyone a fan of Relapse records?   Anyone a fan of Relapse records? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 06, 2011 11:56 am

I'm a fan Relapse. They have definitely became a more diverse label over the last few years with a great roster of bands.
Back to top Go down
The_Jayroh
Metal master
Metal master
The_Jayroh

Number of posts : 823

PostSubject: Re: Anyone a fan of Relapse records?   Anyone a fan of Relapse records? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 06, 2011 2:53 pm

Alex Dee Rokket wrote:
With perhaps Mastodon being at the forefront of their current roster

Mastodon isn't on Relapse any more. They've been on Warner Bros. since Blood Mountain.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1009170115&sk=info
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37656

PostSubject: Re: Anyone a fan of Relapse records?   Anyone a fan of Relapse records? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 06, 2011 4:37 pm

I think the only Relapse label release I own is Deceased's FEARLESS UNDEAD MACHINES.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
mlotek
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mlotek

Number of posts : 1226

PostSubject: Re: Anyone a fan of Relapse records?   Anyone a fan of Relapse records? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 06, 2011 7:58 pm

I bought ten copies of their first release, Deceased's 7", when it came out, and put all but one in the import shop...
I found out that they sold out immediately because 1 person hoarded almost all of them, and that was another reason I started hating the Toronto scene and especially record collectors.
No surprise I never like that hoarder's bands he was in after that .

I couldn't afford back then to buy those in the first place and did not make money, in fact lost money when I factor in transit costs, all because I wanted other fans around here to see why I said they were good from their demo tapes.

and after the first Deceased CD was released, slowly stopped caring about Relapse and most metal in general as all that was in my face was death metal / grind, or industrial. Thrash metal fans like me had no gigs to attend and didn't see any new thrash metal records on the shelves.
Plus Relapse moved, and was told by others they were not getting their records, so am surprised they got as popular and huge as they did since 1991.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Anyone a fan of Relapse records?   Anyone a fan of Relapse records? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 06, 2011 8:12 pm

It's been a long time since I followed any particular record label, unless we're talking jazz.

Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Anyone a fan of Relapse records?   Anyone a fan of Relapse records? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 06, 2011 11:46 pm

I know Amorphis used to be on them.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
stormspell
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stormspell

Number of posts : 1593

PostSubject: Re: Anyone a fan of Relapse records?   Anyone a fan of Relapse records? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 07, 2011 12:46 am

DallasBlack wrote:
I know Amorphis used to be on them.

Yeah, the only band I really care on Replase's catalog, I think. The rest is way too br00tal/modern for my tastes. I'm sure I'm missing something though.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cdbaby.com/all/stormspell
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Anyone a fan of Relapse records?   Anyone a fan of Relapse records? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 07, 2011 9:53 am

I don't pay much attention to record labels, but looking at their alumni list, High on Fire and Nebula are the only 2 I'm interested in.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3893

PostSubject: Re: Anyone a fan of Relapse records?   Anyone a fan of Relapse records? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 07, 2011 3:06 pm

I have always liked Relapse Records. They are a good label really.

Some of the bands I like on their roster:
Black Anvil
Dekapitator
Exhumed
Coffins
Disfear
Hooded Menace
Dying Fetus
Abysmal Dawn

Bands that used to be on their roster that I like:
Morgion
Mindrot
Benumb
Goreaphobia
Misery Index
Disrupt
Exit 13
Nile
Mythic
Neurosis
Suffocation
Phobia
Amorphis
Abscess

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anyone a fan of Relapse records?   Anyone a fan of Relapse records? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Anyone a fan of Relapse records?
Page 1 of 1