Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

KISS non-makeup years...

Go down 
+15
Troublezone
metalinmyveins
Todd Jaymz
777Stryken777
Chairman_Smith
Metal Misfit
KissinMaiden
spiritoradio
Thrasher73
caniplaywithmadness?
MetalGuy71
Fat Freddy
Shiney
ultmetal
19 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

KISS non-makeup years... - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: KISS non-makeup years...   KISS non-makeup years... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 16, 2007 12:25 am

Chairman_Smith wrote:

I was surprised how much I loved Asylum when I got it.

Asylum's a great piece of pop-metal, it was the last KISS album that completed my collection amd I saved it for last because I was afraid it was going to be a lot like Crazy Nights (which I didn't dig at first).

Who Wants to Be Lonely, UH! All Night, and Tears Are Falling totally make that album. The rest of it is good too. Very Happy

King of the Mountain! 🤘
Back to top Go down
777Stryken777
Metal novice
Metal novice
777Stryken777

Number of posts : 60

PostSubject: Re: KISS non-makeup years...   KISS non-makeup years... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 17, 2007 8:43 am

Quote :
Hide Your Heart (although I like Ace's cover better)

Really? I thought Ace's version was pretty weak. The drum machine doesn't sound so great, and Ace's vocals sound kind of half-hearted. I've always been a huge Ace fan, but I was disappointed by that track.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: KISS non-makeup years...   KISS non-makeup years... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 17, 2007 8:49 am

777Stryken777 wrote:
Quote :
Hide Your Heart (although I like Ace's cover better)

Really? I thought Ace's version was pretty weak. The drum machine doesn't sound so great, and Ace's vocals sound kind of half-hearted. I've always been a huge Ace fan, but I was disappointed by that track.

Drum machine? I didn't think it sounded like a drum machine. I like Ace's rough, "can't sing-don't care" vocal style. If you want to hear a disappointing version of the song, listen to Molly Hatchet's version. I love Hatchet but man did they butcher that song.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: KISS non-makeup years...   KISS non-makeup years... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 17, 2007 9:41 am

I love the cover too. Ace have done a lot of KISS cover.
Back to top Go down
Todd Jaymz
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Todd Jaymz

Number of posts : 324

PostSubject: Re: KISS non-makeup years...   KISS non-makeup years... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 18, 2007 4:30 pm

Bruce Kulick was a friend of the band and working with them as a non member for years before Creatures was released-TJ
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: KISS non-makeup years...   KISS non-makeup years... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 18, 2007 4:33 pm

Didn't know about that. His brother was suposed to be at the lead guitar but Ace was better ( I think that the Twisted Sister's guitarist too)
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: KISS non-makeup years...   KISS non-makeup years... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 18, 2007 9:41 pm

Todd Jaymz wrote:
Bruce Kulick was a friend of the band and working with them as a non member for years before Creatures was released-TJ

You sure you're not thinking of Bruce's older brother, Bob? I believe Bob Kulick was the one who had a working relationship with the KISS guys, going back as far as the makeup era.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: KISS non-makeup years...   KISS non-makeup years... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 18, 2007 9:44 pm

Bruce have done the band...Bob didn't. I think it was him too.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: KISS non-makeup years...   KISS non-makeup years... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 18, 2007 9:52 pm

AceFrehley655 wrote:

Bob played on Paul's solo album in '78 (and legend has it that he played some un-credited guitar on the studio side of ALIVE II as well because Ace was un-available.) So I would imagine that the KISS guys got to know about Bruce through Bob.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: KISS non-makeup years...   KISS non-makeup years... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 18, 2007 9:54 pm

Mabey...I will ask to Gene when I'll buy his rubik-cube. lol!
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: KISS non-makeup years...   KISS non-makeup years... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 28, 2008 2:08 pm

I had a real love/hate relationship with Kiss during the 80's. I really liked "Lick It Up" quite a bit, and I loved Vinnie Vincent. I wish that he and Kiss could've had somekind of amicable relationship and kept things going. Then came "Animalize", which I felt was a decent album. "Asylum" followed, and I absolutely loved this album. I played it all of the time. I couldn't get enough of it, and it was great that "Tears are Falling" was getting so much airplay on the radio!

So, after loving "Asylum", I figured Kiss could do no wrong. Well, I was wrong. I absolutely hated "Crazy Nights", so much so, that I never listened to the second side of the tape! I think I even remember a quote from Gene that stated he had become one of the biggest "Corporate whores", and the album was a reflection of that mentality. In other words, that album fell way below Kiss standards, and I wholeheartedly agree!

I can't say that I even remember what "Hot in the Shade" sounds like, but I did enjoy a couple of songs that came out on that album. Ultimately Kiss redeemed themselves in my eyse with "Revenge". Very strong album, and a side that many hadn't seen from Kiss since the "Creatures" album. I've never listened to the "Carnival of Souls" album, but I've thought about getting it. If anyone wants to comment on that one, I would be interesting to hear people's responses.

Lick It Up (Favs: All Hell's Breaking Loose, Lick It Up, Exciter, A Million to One)
Animalize (Favs: Heaven's On Fire, I've Had Enough (Into the Fire), Under the Gun)
Asylum (Favs: Who Wants to be Lonely, Tears Are Falling, Trial By Fire, Radar For Love, King of the Mountain)
Crazy Nights (Favs: Nothing)
Hot In the Shade (Favs: Hide Your Heart)
Revenge (Favs: Unholy, Heart of Chrome, Everytime I Look at You)
Carnival of Souls (Never listened to it)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: KISS non-makeup years...   KISS non-makeup years... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 28, 2008 2:18 pm

The entire Lick It Up and Asylum albums...
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: KISS non-makeup years...   KISS non-makeup years... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 28, 2008 3:18 pm

Tears are Falling
Lick it Up
Unholy
Domino
God Gave Rock n Roll...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: KISS non-makeup years...   KISS non-makeup years... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 28, 2008 3:28 pm

I've said it many times before, but the 80's were my favorite era of KISS and the non makeup years the best of that time. Lick It Up and Asylum are at the top of my favorite KISS stuff. Hot In The Shade is terrible, though. sick
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: KISS non-makeup years...   KISS non-makeup years... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 28, 2008 4:34 pm

So, after loving "Asylum", I figured Kiss could do no wrong. Well, I was wrong. I absolutely hated "Crazy Nights", so much so, that I never listened to the second side of the tape! I think I even remember a quote from Gene that stated he had become one of the biggest "Corporate whores", and the album was a reflection of that mentality. In other words, that album fell way below Kiss standards, and I wholeheartedly agree!

I can't say that I even remember what "Hot in the Shade" sounds like, but I did enjoy a couple of songs that came out on that album. Ultimately Kiss redeemed themselves in my eyse with "Revenge". Very strong album, and a side that many hadn't seen from Kiss since the "Creatures" album. I've never listened to the "Carnival of Souls" album, but I've thought about getting it. If anyone wants to comment on that one, I would be interesting to hear people's responses.

KISS in the 80's was hit or miss for me - I LOVED creatures, lick it up was great (not as good as creatures), animalize not as good as LIU, Asylum not as good as Animalize, etc - a downhill slide. I do like the 80's material, but it's hit or miss. When HITS came out, it had, well, 3 HITS and the rest were MISSES. THANKFULLY they release REVENGE was a GREAT album, but that was 1990 I think.

CoS isn't a bad album, I think about 1/2 of it is good songs, the other 1/2 not so great. The album did have the grunge-type production. Worth checking out! You can also hear Bruce Kulick's singing debut and then understand why he wasn;t allowed to sing on any previous album!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: KISS non-makeup years...   KISS non-makeup years... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 28, 2008 5:41 pm

Quote :
I LOVED creatures, lick it up was great (not as good as creatures), animalize not as good as LIU, Asylum not as good as Animalize, etc - a downhill slide

Animalize is the weakest album on that list...Asylum rules...
Back to top Go down
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

Number of posts : 4429

PostSubject: Re: KISS non-makeup years...   KISS non-makeup years... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 28, 2008 6:48 pm

i like crazy nights but is not the best
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: KISS non-makeup years...   KISS non-makeup years... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 28, 2008 7:28 pm

Come on Crazy Night is the one I hate the most. Animalize rulz.
Back to top Go down
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

PostSubject: Re: KISS non-makeup years...   KISS non-makeup years... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 28, 2008 7:40 pm

its the only non makeup album i have at the moment so it it obviosuly my favourite
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: KISS non-makeup years...   KISS non-makeup years... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 28, 2008 7:41 pm

Lick It Up definitely got things off to a great start. It sounded like a glam version of Creatures. That album and Animalize had an awesome metallic sound to it, what with the crunchy riffs and high speeds thrown in.

Asylum is where they started to slip. That album still has some of the sound left from the previous two albums, albeit diluted with overly-commercial glam.

Crazy Nights is BY FAR my least favourite KISS album. While there are a few cool tunes (Hell Or High Water; Bang Bang You (yes, I like it); Good Girl Gone Bad), there are many crap tunes. In fact, this album has the only two KISS songs that I actually don't like, whatsoever: Turn On The Night and My Way. I HATE THESE SONGS WITH A PASSION! There's nothing KISS about them. And, they just plain suck.

Hot In The Shade is much better. It sounded like they were returning to their true rock selves (if there was any of that left), or, at least, pretending to. I love Rise To It and Silver Spoon.

Of course, Revenge is an outstanding album! That's one of the best comeback albums ever. I don't really care for COS.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: KISS non-makeup years...   KISS non-makeup years... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 28, 2008 8:48 pm

TheGooch wrote:
its the only non makeup album i have at the moment so it it obviosuly my favourite

Pick up, in this order:

Revenge
Lick It Up
Animalize
Asylum
Carnival Of Souls
alive III
hot in the shade
Back to top Go down
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

PostSubject: Re: KISS non-makeup years...   KISS non-makeup years... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 29, 2008 11:54 am

i do want to get Revenge actually real bad but there is a lot f other kiss album i need first as i only have three so far Embarassed
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: KISS non-makeup years...   KISS non-makeup years... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 30, 2008 12:09 am

TheGooch wrote:
i do want to get Revenge actually real bad but there is a lot f other kiss album i need first as i only have three so far Embarassed

Which ones do you have?
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: KISS non-makeup years...   KISS non-makeup years... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 30, 2008 12:19 pm

IronAge wrote:
Considering Vinnie played on alot of it,they should have released a cover with him on it.Could have put him on there with the "Egyptian Warrior" make-up.I agree totally "Creatures Of The Night" does rule ! Excellent album ! Vinnie Cusano could never win a lawsuit against these guys because he couldn't afford those d--mned high price attorneys that KISS always got maybe ?

They did have one, it was the 83 Brazil release of it. I managed to get it pretty cheap, but it goes for a damn fortune nowadays. It always bothered me that they never took the time put the Vinnie cover on any other editions of the album, since neither Ace or Bruce had a damn thing to do with that album. Which is why I made my own insert for my cd Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: KISS non-makeup years...   KISS non-makeup years... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 30, 2008 12:25 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
AceFrehley655 wrote:

Bob played on Paul's solo album in '78 (and legend has it that he played some un-credited guitar on the studio side of ALIVE II as well because Ace was un-available.) So I would imagine that the KISS guys got to know about Bruce through Bob.

Freddy's right. When Vinnie left they had asked Bob to join, but he couldnt so they went for Bruce, but at the time he was involved with something else and couldn't do it, and ended up joining during the Animalize tour to replace St.John.

Also, not that it means anything except for me being a smart ass, but Anton Fig who was later in Frehley's Comet and a good friend of Ace's played alot of Peter Criss' drum parts.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: KISS non-makeup years...   KISS non-makeup years... - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

KISS non-makeup years...
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next