Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Having "a look" in metal.

Go down 
+36
Lurideath
sheets
jstate
manny
thejokeriv
Rex
CraiggyOats
EvyMetal
Gilbert
Troublezone
Stender
QuothTheRaven
Cognitive Dissonance
metalhead777
MetalFRO
krokus
metalinmyveins
Shawn Of Fire
metalheaded
Sole Survivor
Fat Freddy
James B.
The_Jayroh
TheGreatDuck
GrandNational
mc666
mlotek
Tur-Thalion
exact33
Temple of Blood
Wurthless
arachnoplasma
Alex Dee Rokket
DallasBlack
A Handful of Wayne
ultmetal
40 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

Having "a look" in metal.  - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Having "a look" in metal.    Having "a look" in metal.  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 24, 2011 3:07 pm

ultmetal wrote:
Lurideath wrote:
That band is NOT metal!

Have you heard them? I've still not heard the CD but they are supposedly melodic death metal or some mixture of death metal and metalcore.
they are a christian metalcore band, which might explain their wholesome bookworm look. late night bible study can be tough on the eyes too.

they aren't bad though if you like metalcore.

Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3906

PostSubject: Re: Having "a look" in metal.    Having "a look" in metal.  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 24, 2011 3:22 pm

I don't consider metalcore "metal" though. Never have. I don't get how people consider that style to be metal. I know its my own personal opinion, but still. Is it because "metal record labels" started signing this garbage a few years ago that people consider it "metal"?
Back to top Go down
EvyMetal
Baron Von 40oz.
EvyMetal

Number of posts : 4386

PostSubject: Re: Having "a look" in metal.    Having "a look" in metal.  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 24, 2011 4:34 pm

[quote="mc666"]
ultmetal wrote:
Lurideath wrote:
That band is NOT metal!

late night bible study can be tough on the eyes too.

lol!
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Having "a look" in metal.    Having "a look" in metal.  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 24, 2011 5:51 pm

Having "a look" in metal.  - Page 4 154165_473515099460_560199460_5522406_2191846_n

One of my son's friends. She doesn't wear prescription glasses.

Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Having "a look" in metal.    Having "a look" in metal.  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 24, 2011 7:55 pm

chix w/glasses are hot though.

tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Having "a look" in metal.    Having "a look" in metal.  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 24, 2011 8:25 pm

As someone who has worn glasses since 2nd grade, I'm almost offended that it's now "cool" to wear glasses even if you don't need them. Kids might not think it was so cool if they had to endure the teasing I did.

Oh, and this whole "metal look" is ludicrous in my opinion. Is anyone honestly going to tell me you wouldn't listen to a band whose music rocked your world just because of the way they looked??

Metal graduate
Metal graduate
metalheaded

Number of posts : 434

PostSubject: Re: Having "a look" in metal.    Having "a look" in metal.  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 24, 2011 9:01 pm

Quote :
Is anyone honestly going to tell me you wouldn't listen to a band whose music rocked your world just because of the way they looked??

No.

At the end of the day, the music does matter more than the look, of course. However, I do not deny that the look IS important; just not nearly as much as the music itself. If I hear a band before seeing how they look, then it's a moot point. But I'll tell you this: if I see a band photo and they look dorky, nerdy, or whatever... in other words, not like a metal band, then I probably won't feel inclined to listen to them, since I don't think they'll be metal.

The look is definitely important from a marketing standpoint, to me.

Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Having "a look" in metal.    Having "a look" in metal.  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 24, 2011 9:14 pm

Long before the "birth control" glasses became cool in metal, Drew Carey had been sporting them as a fasion statement for a very long time (he still wore them even after he got vision correction surgery in the late 90s). He got the glasses when he was in the Marines.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: Having "a look" in metal.    Having "a look" in metal.  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 24, 2011 9:46 pm

metalheaded wrote:
I could type a long, tedious post, but I won't. I'll just keep it short and direct.

A metal band needs to look the part: METAL. This pic Scott posted doesn't look metal (and ToB is right; their style probably isn't real metal, anyway). Without knowing what they were purported to play, I'd think they were a boy band. The only guy in that pic who looks somewhat metal is the one on the far right. My guess is he's the drummer. Other than that, the fact that they're all in black just kind of leans toward the possibility that they may play hard music of some sort.

Long hair isn't mandatory to be and to look metal. It helps, but it's not mandatory. Dress? Absolutely necessary. A metal band needs to dress 'metal'. Don't wear stuff not associated with metal and/or the metal image.

totally disagree. The whole point of metal is to be what you want and do what you want play what you want - being restricted by someone's definition of what metal is, which is subjective, goes against the doing it your way.

exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Having "a look" in metal.    Having "a look" in metal.  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 24, 2011 9:49 pm

manny wrote:
I could careless about image, when I was kid for some reason it mattered, now that I am close to a hundred I could care less.

I remember in the early 80's, vocalist Graham Bonnet would get alot of crap from fans because he did not have long hair, when he was member of Rainbow and Michael Schenker Group, and for some reason it used to bother me also, but then I was only 13, and while he did not look like a rock star, there was no mistaking the power of that voice.

plus his taste in clothes was closer to Huey Lewis than Vince Neil.

Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

PostSubject: Re: Having "a look" in metal.    Having "a look" in metal.  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 24, 2011 10:18 pm

ultmetal wrote:
Having "a look" in metal.  - Page 4 154165_473515099460_560199460_5522406_2191846_n

Do those even have Lenses?
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Having "a look" in metal.    Having "a look" in metal.  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2011 1:10 am

Having "a look" in metal.  - Page 4 Alcatrazz3

Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Having "a look" in metal.    Having "a look" in metal.  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2011 7:20 am

ultmetal wrote:

What's the point then?
Back to top Go down
Cognitive Dissonance
Metal student
Metal student
Cognitive Dissonance

Number of posts : 124

PostSubject: Re: Having "a look" in metal.    Having "a look" in metal.  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2011 8:55 am

Sometimes I wish life was like that movie "Ground Hog Day*. Everyday would be 1988. The only thing better about life now is the ipod/zune and the laptops and video games are better now.
Every thing else sucks now.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Having "a look" in metal.    Having "a look" in metal.  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2011 9:26 am

I dont think everything sucks now - 2011 may not be as good as 2010 or 2009 musically but saying everything else sucks is a bit of a generalization.

MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Having "a look" in metal.    Having "a look" in metal.  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2011 11:02 am

Quote :
At the end of the day, the music does matter more than the look, of course. However, I do not deny that the look IS important; just not nearly as much as the music itself. If I hear a band before seeing how they look, then it's a moot point. But I'll tell you this: if I see a band photo and they look dorky, nerdy, or whatever... in other words, not like a metal band, then I probably won't feel inclined to listen to them, since I don't think they'll be metal.

The look is definitely important from a marketing standpoint, to me.

Me too. I'm not ashamed to say it. Looks count. Not as much to me today as they did in the past, but I like to know what the band looks like. They should have a look that I've determined as "cool" in my mind. And if they don't meet up to those expectations I've set, sure, I'm a little disappointed. Will I still listen to the music? Sure. I wouldn't deny the band on looks alone. But I'll probably imagine them as much cooler looking in my mind.

Even bands that are just getting old now. When I listen to 'Paradise City', it's this guy that's singing...
Having "a look" in metal.  - Page 4 012_axl_rose--300x300

Not whateverthehell this is...

Having "a look" in metal.  - Page 4 Axl_rose1

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Having "a look" in metal.    Having "a look" in metal.  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2011 11:20 am

Having "a look" in metal.  - Page 4 Piet-live

Piet Sielck of Iron Savior may not look very "metal" but you can't argue with his musical output... that dude is metal to the bone. headbanger

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Having "a look" in metal.    Having "a look" in metal.  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2011 11:55 am

And on the flip side of that, we have Nifelheim:

Having "a look" in metal.  - Page 4 Nifelheim-1

Yeah, they look "METAL"... but they also look kinda ridiculous too...

(not singling out this band in particular, cuz there are lots 'n' lots of others just like'em... just saying....)

On a side note, if we took this band and put'em on a long bus ride with the band Ult pictured in his first post, how long do you think it would take before the first punch was thrown? Very Happy

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Having "a look" in metal.    Having "a look" in metal.  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2011 12:03 pm

Eh, to my father, these guys looked just as ridiculous to him as those "nerd" guys look to us...

Having "a look" in metal.  - Page 4 MOtley-tour-banner

Having "a look" in metal.  - Page 4 Cinderella-band

It's just a generational thing I guess. What's cool about horn-rimmed glasses and stretched earlobes? I dunno, same thing that was cool about teased hair to the sky and frilly stage clothes.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Rex

Number of posts : 2056

PostSubject: Re: Having "a look" in metal.    Having "a look" in metal.  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2011 12:39 pm

yeaaaaah...that cinderella and motley crue pic are gaaaaaaayyyy and as unmetal as they come. I can't fathom why this look would be more accepted than the original photo in post #1.
Back to top Go down
sheets
Metal master
Metal master
sheets

Number of posts : 638

PostSubject: Re: Having "a look" in metal.    Having "a look" in metal.  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2011 12:55 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:

Those guys are trying too hard Smile Sielk looks like a musician who just happens to play metal, which is probably the best way to go, all things considered.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Having "a look" in metal.    Having "a look" in metal.  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2011 12:58 pm

Very true, I didn't think anything the 80's glam look, but oldest son and daughter , ( who's 20 and 17) think Motley Crue looked silly, but then my daughter thinks Black Veiled Brides look awesome, so what do I know.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Having "a look" in metal.    Having "a look" in metal.  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2011 1:42 pm

sheets wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

Those guys are trying too hard Smile

Rest assure, these guys are 110% serious with the look!!

The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Having "a look" in metal.    Having "a look" in metal.  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2011 1:43 pm

I never understood the 80s glam look to be honest. It sold a lot of mascara but didnt make the music any more or less metal.

MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Having "a look" in metal.    Having "a look" in metal.  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2011 1:49 pm

exact33 wrote:
I never understood the 80s glam look to be honest. It sold a lot of mascara but didnt make the music any more or less metal.

Meh, that's just an example of the whole generation gap thing. I'm pretty sure my grandfather thought this guy was equally ridiculous in his own way...

Having "a look" in metal.  - Page 4 Youngelvisrockingthehouse

"GET A HAIRCUT, HIPPIE!!"

PostSubject: Re: Having "a look" in metal.    Having "a look" in metal.  - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Having "a look" in metal.
Page 4 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next