Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Running Wild reunite & to release new album

Go down 
+11
stormspell
kmorg
tul
speed101
arachnoplasma
Gilbert
Nico
metalhead777
exact33
Alex Dee Rokket
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Alex Dee Rokket
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Alex Dee Rokket

Number of posts : 1095

Running Wild reunite & to release new album Empty
PostSubject: Running Wild reunite & to release new album   Running Wild reunite & to release new album Icon_minitimeFri Oct 21, 2011 7:55 pm

Here are all the details:

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=164978
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: Running Wild reunite & to release new album   Running Wild reunite & to release new album Icon_minitimeFri Oct 21, 2011 7:59 pm

well that didnt take long...

Alex Dee Rokket
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Alex Dee Rokket

PostSubject: Re: Running Wild reunite & to release new album   Running Wild reunite & to release new album Icon_minitimeFri Oct 21, 2011 8:09 pm

I never thought Rolf would really go away.

Besides, no band really goes away unless someone really prolific in the band dies.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Running Wild reunite & to release new album   Running Wild reunite & to release new album Icon_minitimeFri Oct 21, 2011 8:26 pm

Alex Dee Rokket wrote:
I never thought Rolf would really go away.

Besides, no band really goes away unless someone really prolific in the band dies.

true but all that hype over the final performance seems a tad overplayed.

metalhead777
Metal master
Metal master
metalhead777

Number of posts : 842

PostSubject: Re: Running Wild reunite & to release new album   Running Wild reunite & to release new album Icon_minitimeFri Oct 21, 2011 9:27 pm

I'v wanted to get into them for a while. I'v heard they really influenced alestorm (lyrically) and I'm hooked on them. So,why not try what made them want to do their thing in the first place?

What would you say their best albums/songs are before I go out and buy anything?
Back to top Go down
Alex Dee Rokket
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Alex Dee Rokket

PostSubject: Re: Running Wild reunite & to release new album   Running Wild reunite & to release new album Icon_minitimeFri Oct 21, 2011 9:44 pm

metalhead777 wrote:
I'v wanted to get into them for a while. I'v heard they really influenced alestorm (lyrically) and I'm hooked on them. So,why not try what made them want to do their thing in the first place?

What would you say their best albums/songs are before I go out and buy anything?

Well to begin with, Running Wild are essentially a power metal albeit of a unique character whereas Alestorm to my ears are anything but power metal. However, if you like pirate themes you will definitely like Running Wild.

Running Wild's albums, especially the classic ones, are generally very difficult to track down at affordable prices as most (including the remasters) have been out of print for a long time. Running Wild was originally signed to Noise through which they released the bulk of their classic albums. They also have a contract with GUN for the newer albums. Noise is no longer, and Sanctuary that bought off Noise after its demise is also no longer. So these days, owning Running Wild's albums is like being part of an exclusive club (as pompous as that sounds...)

This may however change as the band is now signed with Steamhammer/SPV, which may see the re-release of their older albums. It would be interesting to see if this will happen - I think it would be worthwhile as a whole generation of metal fans know very little about this band and hopefully we won't get people quoting Alestorm as a class pirate metal band anymore lol .. sorry nothing against them but they are so piss poor sounding in comparison to the mighty Running Wild.

In any case, if you are able to find any of these albums and are willing to drop about 50 bucks for each, this is what I would recommend:

1. Death or Glory
2. Black Hand Inn
3. Pile of Skulls
4. Blazon Stone
5. Masquerade
6. The Rivalry

Those are imo their strongest releases. The band has a very long and generally strong recording history (I believe in total RW has released 14 studio albums, I could be a little off... and several EPs as well). Although general consensus is that RW don't have many weak albums, most will agree that the last 3 albums have been less than stellar especially Rogues En Vogue. So I would avoid Rogues in particular as a first release.

Given the rarity and the high price RW albums go for, you may be in better luck with a compilation. 20 Years in History is a very good introduction to the band. It is a best-of of sorts , it has some unreleased material and some new mixes to older songs. All in all it makes for both a good introduction to the band and a decent companion (for the unreleased songs) to the rest of RW's catalog.

Back to top Go down
Nico
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Nico

Number of posts : 444

PostSubject: Re: Running Wild reunite & to release new album   Running Wild reunite & to release new album Icon_minitimeFri Oct 21, 2011 10:01 pm

I'll give the new album a shot. It seems a little odd though seeing as they only broke up two years ago.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39505

PostSubject: Re: Running Wild reunite & to release new album   Running Wild reunite & to release new album Icon_minitimeFri Oct 21, 2011 10:12 pm

That certainly didn't last long. Glad to see they're back!
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9878

PostSubject: Re: Running Wild reunite & to release new album   Running Wild reunite & to release new album Icon_minitimeSat Oct 22, 2011 1:19 am

I always knew they would be back. I love running wild. One of my favourite metal bands ever!
Back to top Go down
arachnoplasma
Metal student
Metal student
arachnoplasma

Number of posts : 244

PostSubject: Re: Running Wild reunite & to release new album   Running Wild reunite & to release new album Icon_minitimeSat Oct 22, 2011 2:11 am

I was really kicking myself for passing up Running Wild for years. I knew of the name, but the whole "pirate" image put me off of checking them out. By the time I gave in, started listening, and got hooked, they broke up. D'oh!

So, whatever the reasons, I'm glad they're back! Great news!
Back to top Go down
speed101
Metal master
Metal master
speed101

Number of posts : 516

PostSubject: Re: Running Wild reunite & to release new album   Running Wild reunite & to release new album Icon_minitimeSat Oct 22, 2011 6:21 am

Thats cool there back but they wont play anywhere near me so i wont see them.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Running Wild reunite & to release new album   Running Wild reunite & to release new album Icon_minitimeSat Oct 22, 2011 8:55 am

metalhead777 wrote:

Black Hand Inn is my favorite from Running Wild. Under Jolly Roger is also very good.

Alex Dee Rokket
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Alex Dee Rokket

PostSubject: Re: Running Wild reunite & to release new album   Running Wild reunite & to release new album Icon_minitimeSat Oct 22, 2011 9:11 am

The earlier RW albums were very much inspired by the NWOBHM sound and movement. The first album in particular draws heavily on nwobhm acts of the early 80s. With each subsequent album RW gradually developed their own signature sound, although the sophomore release Branded and Exiled dispalyed a slower tempo style the band would soon return to the fast riff delivery of their debut album refining their songwriting direction.

Under Jolly Roger is where RW began to find their signature sound and image. It was the first RW album inspired by pirate theme and imagery. The raw power metal production coupled with speedy riffs and anthemic tunes make this album an early RW classic.

However it was with the release of Port Royal that the band's pirate themes and unique sound became more apparent. Death or Glory helped solidify the band's style and pave way for the 90s classics that followed.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Running Wild reunite & to release new album   Running Wild reunite & to release new album Icon_minitimeSat Oct 22, 2011 9:17 am

yep - Alex is right. Death or Glory is a great album too.

tul
Metal student
Metal student
tul

Number of posts : 234

PostSubject: re   Running Wild reunite & to release new album Icon_minitimeSat Oct 22, 2011 11:22 am

Gates to Purgatory is my favorite one. Diabolic Force, Victim of States Power, Genghis Khan, Adrian! headbanger headbanger
So I would get that one, Black Hand Inn and Pile of Skulls
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Running Wild reunite & to release new album   Running Wild reunite & to release new album Icon_minitimeSat Oct 22, 2011 11:34 am

This is great news! I always thought he'd return, but I thought it would take a little longer.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stormspell

Number of posts : 1593

PostSubject: Re: Running Wild reunite & to release new album   Running Wild reunite & to release new album Icon_minitimeSun Oct 23, 2011 3:26 am

All I have to say is Störtebeker!. Look for their debut album "Return to Port Royal" sometime in 2012
Back to top Go down
http://www.cdbaby.com/all/stormspell
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Running Wild reunite & to release new album   Running Wild reunite & to release new album Icon_minitimeMon Oct 24, 2011 9:36 pm

stormspell wrote:
All I have to say is Störtebeker!. Look for their debut album "Return to Port Royal" sometime in 2012

nice. When is Rocka Rolla due?

stormspell
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stormspell

PostSubject: Re: Running Wild reunite & to release new album   Running Wild reunite & to release new album Icon_minitimeMon Oct 24, 2011 9:44 pm

In couple of weeks, I hope.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Running Wild reunite & to release new album   Running Wild reunite & to release new album Icon_minitimeMon Oct 24, 2011 9:48 pm

stormspell wrote:
In couple of weeks, I hope.

nice! I really liked those songs alot you posted earlier.

DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Running Wild reunite & to release new album   Running Wild reunite & to release new album Icon_minitimeMon Oct 24, 2011 9:58 pm

Hope I have money by then.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

Number of posts : 5065

PostSubject: Re: Running Wild reunite & to release new album   Running Wild reunite & to release new album Icon_minitimeMon Oct 24, 2011 10:10 pm

I was looking at their other albums on Amazon (namely Port Royal), and why in God's name would they be going for $150+ ? The idea of paying that much for a CD is just crazy to me.

I assume they are in desperate need for reissue or remaster.
Back to top Go down
Spiner202
Metal graduate
Metal graduate

Number of posts : 283

PostSubject: Re: Running Wild reunite & to release new album   Running Wild reunite & to release new album Icon_minitimeMon Oct 24, 2011 11:10 pm

Metal-On-Metal wrote:
I was looking at their other albums on Amazon (namely Port Royal), and why in God's name would they be going for $150+ ? The idea of paying that much for a CD is just crazy to me.

I assume they are in desperate need for reissue or remaster.

Most of their CDs are freakishly expensive but I tracked down a new copy of Blazon Stone for $8 plus shipping on eBay:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/RUNNING-WILD-BLAZON-STONE-REMASTERED-SEALED-CD-NEW-/270787564214?pt=Music_CDs&hash=item3f0c3252b6#ht_1607wt_905

Back to top Go down
Igor
Metal student
Metal student
Igor

Number of posts : 105

PostSubject: Re: Running Wild reunite & to release new album   Running Wild reunite & to release new album Icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2011 4:34 am

I`d add "Branded & exciled" album of 1985, a fantastic one!
headbanger headbanger headbanger headbanger headbanger
Back to top Go down
stormspell
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stormspell

PostSubject: Re: Running Wild reunite & to release new album   Running Wild reunite & to release new album Icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2011 8:36 pm

Everything up to "Rivalry" is worth owning.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Running Wild reunite & to release new album   Running Wild reunite & to release new album Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Running Wild reunite & to release new album
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next