Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

20 essential thrash albums

Go down 
+34
mlotek
Eyesore
Grimmo
biddle
dark avenger
stormspell
adrian
Cognitive Dissonance
Gilbert
jstate
TheseGoTo11
krokus
Ravenscraig
Lurideath
firestarter
Nico
arachnoplasma
mc666
kmorg
Thrasher73
Leatherface
DeathCult
exact33
metalhead777
325ad
MetalGuy71
DallasBlack
Required Fields
EvyMetal
Fat Freddy
Coram Deo
Temple of Blood
ultmetal
38 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

20 essential thrash albums Empty
PostSubject: 20 essential thrash albums   20 essential thrash albums Icon_minitimeTue Sep 20, 2011 3:54 pm

Quote :
http://www.nephwrack.com/20_essential_thrash_albums.html
My 20 favourite thrash albums of all time
Posted 21 Jun 2011 by Dan
Alright folks... there we go - in no particular order:

1. Flotsam and Jetsam: "No Place For Disgrace".

This album smokes!!! Eric AK has to be the ultimate thrash metal vocalist. Clean, distinct and sometimes amazingly high-pitched vocals that soar right through. A true Thrash classic - sadly, criminally overlooked by many. For some they will never be able to get out from under the shadow of bassist Jason Newsted who left them shortly after their first album to join Metallica.

2. Annihilator: "Never, Neverland"

When "Alice In Hell" first came out it totally blew me away, but this is far better. Jeff Waters at his best and most creative! All the hooks are plain infectious. It still sounds fresh to this day. Coburn Pharr only lasted this album (I strongly recommend his previous band Omen by the way), but he most definitely left an indelible mark. Gotta love that rasp of his.

Excellent Thrash metal platter with the odd trip to the world of mozzarella and parmesan - fine by me if you ask me.

3. Slayer: "South Of Heaven"

Never been that big on Slayer (let alone on Metallica or Megadeth), but this album is nothing short of brilliant. I mean, what an atmosphere! This is a monster of an album - what a wall of sound. Gone is the slaytanic image. Slayer ditched full-on thrash to create a higher form of music based on mood and atmosphere. And Tom Araya can actually sing, wich came as a shock when I first heard this! Dave Lombardo's best work ever can be found on this album. Thight as hell.

4. Viking: "Man Of Straw"

I'll always hold this album in high regard. Their first album was somewhat weak (blame it on the muddy production mostly and plenty of filler) but these guys came on leaps and
bounds on this one. "Hell Is For Children" is one hell uva Pat Benatar cover version. "White Death" is an awesome album opener. Too bad these guys packed it in when when guitarist/vocalist Matt Erikson became a born-again Christian (I wonder why he had to stop playing metal?)

5. VoiVod: "Nothingface"

Is this actually thrash? Oh well, who cares, VoiVod have always been way ahead of their time. From their Motorhead-like, punkish beginnings they turned into a perfect space-metal machine. "Into My Hypercube" still takes me to another dimension. Piggy - RIP - could shred like crazy and Blacky and Away were the tightest rythm section ever. This album is a must gents. The most original, innovative and avant-garde band of old-school thrash by a clear mile.

6. Kreator: "Terrible Certainty"

The irrefutable kings of European Thrash. Can anyone dispute that? This is their 1987 effort and arguably their very best. From "Blind Faith" to "Behind The Mirror" this album simply owns, it simply annihilates. Mille's vocals are grim and corrosive. "As The World Burns" is actually sung by drummer Ventor, who is not credited for that on the CD. One hell of a thrash metal platter.

Period.

7. Thanatos: "Emerging From The Netherworlds"

Sadly overlooked album, and an underground classic in its own right. These Dutchmen sure could deliver fine thrash and this album is infectious. Stephan Gebedy had a very "European" thrash kind of voice if you know what I mean. Songs like "Aggressive Perfector" and "Outward Of The Inward" are sheer intensity. Top album.

8. Laaz Rockit: "Annihilation Principle"

Another fine thrash platter. The Dead Kennedys cover version is wicked! The production sounds pretty dated although it worked wonders at the time. The last song on the album, "The Omen", has a lot of meaning to me as it's almost autobiographical.

9. Onslaught: "In Search Of Sanity"

Much to the dismay of their hardcore fans, Onslaught got a new singer and went a little melodic after recording "The Force". As a result of this they created one of the finest British thrash albums ever. Steve Grimmet has a very elegant, thrashy voice with an exceptional range and his slight rasp and intelligent use of vibratto are nothing short of exceptional. The AC/DC cover is probably not that brilliant - oh well, pointless covers were the usual thing to do back at the time I guess. "Welcome To Dying" is a cracking thrash ballad and "Shellshock" wreaks havoc.

10. Sabbat: "Dreamweaver"

This is a fabulous album, bordering on a masterpiece. It's pure magic. It is that good and more. Sabbat were one of the most underrated bands ever in the history of music, often misunderstood. The real creators of pagan/medieval thrash. Martin Walkyer was the weirdest frontmant ever and his lyrics were deep and thought-provoking. Axeman Andy Sneap went on to become a brilliant producer once the band disbanded.

11. Dark Angel: "Darkness Descends"

Back in the heyday of Thrash Metal, I guess this was one of the most extreme bands as Dark Angel were definitely "darker"! Even before Ron Reinheart came along these guys could thrash like crazy, and this is a phenomenal album.

12. Anthrax: "Among The Living"

And what can be said about this absolute gem of an album. Anthrax at their very best with their sublime thrash and hardcorish attitude. These guys in swimming trunks and Suicidal Tendencies and Public Enemy t-shirts gotta be the ultimate East Coast thrash band. This album is tremendous and chock-full of positive energy. Each track is a classic, with "Caught In a Mosh" and "Indians" as my personal faves. If you don't get this, you ain't no friend of mine!

13. Overkill: "Under The Influence"

The mighty Overkill! Again another East Coast that could rip it up like crazy. DD Verni has to be the thrash metal version of Steve Harris and Bobby Blitz was one of those vocalists that you either love or hate (me...love the guys of course!). This album is pure urban attitude, that was Overkill. "Hello From The Gutter" is a statement of principles. This is thrash right from the gutter, "from the gutter to the streets. It's pure and raw! Hot chops: "End Of The Line" and "Broken Wisdom".

14. Nuclear Assault: "Handle With Care"

Thrash with a hardcore tinge (although not totally crossover if you know what I mean). Dan Lilker and the boys were definitely a force to be reckoned with back at the time. John Connelly had a very distinct voice and Glenn Evans was such a terrific drummer. Once they split up Dan went on to do more extreme stuff (i.e. Brutal Truth) and they got back together in the mid '00s, which really made me happy.

15. Death Angel: "Act III"
An utter and complete work of art. I mean, when their first album came out Andy Galeon was barely 14! A bunch of Philippino kids in their teens, all of them blood-related and delivering the tighest thrash ever? Totally unheard of. To this day, Mark Osegueda still remains one of my favourite vocalists of all time, pure class.

16. Exodus: "Fabulous Disaster"

Steve Souza and the boys at their best. "Pleasures Of The Flesh" was indeed very very good, but this is the bomb. Corrosive thrash, and the best part is Steve Souza's vocals! I mean c'mon, he's nothing but the thrash version of AC/DC's Bon Scott!!! Hot Chops: "Like Father, Like Son" and "The Last Act Of Defiance". If you want aggressive thrash with a lot of groove, this will not dissapoint you guys.

17. Ultimatum: "Puppet Of Destruction"

Excellent power thrash from these Albuquerque, New Mexico guys. The album is'98 but it oozes old-schoolness (if that is a word). Scott Waters can sound like Steve Souza sometimes, although his voice is more of a snake-like hiss and Ultimatum definitely have a sound of their own. This is a Christian band. The guys are honest about what they do and stand for - I definitely don't have a bone to pick with them. Great album. "Never" is an awful good album opener, and "Stomp" is pure groove for metalheads to headbang to.

18. Vio-lence: "Oppressing The Masses"

Before Machine Head's inception, our friend Rob Flynn was in this fantastic thrash band. Plenty of chug and groove here, not unlike what was to come with Machine head. Again, distinct vocals (some people seem to have a problem with that... do they always want thrash singers to sound like Mr James Hetfield? this has always been a pet peeve of mine I'm afraid). All in all, very refreshing thrash. Not for the faint of heart!

19. Acid Reign: "Obnoxious"

Yet another excellent British band. This would be their swansong as the band disbanded shortly after. The cover art is awful, but don't be mislead by this. No skippers here, every song is amazing. H (that was his name, don't ask me why!) was an awesome singer and the production is absolutely mint and crisp. Definitely worth mentioning is the outro (gotta love funk sometimes!).

20. Sepultura: "Beneath The Remains"

Essential album!! This is the ultimate thrash album. Fast, aggressive, furious, chuggy, powerful. Andreas Kisser's solos are stunning. Unexpected tempo changes at the drop of a hat. Hooks galore.
What more can you ask for? Must-hear tracks: "Inner Self", "Stronger Than Hate" and "Slaves Of Pain"

Quite an honor to be on that list. Shocked

Last edited by ultmetal on Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: 20 essential thrash albums   20 essential thrash albums Icon_minitimeTue Sep 20, 2011 3:56 pm

Right up there with ACID REIGN. Razz
Back to top Go down
Coram Deo
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Coram Deo

Number of posts : 254

PostSubject: Re: 20 essential thrash albums   20 essential thrash albums Icon_minitimeTue Sep 20, 2011 4:06 pm

Cool. He has some of my favorites listed. That is my favorite Ultimaum as well I think. Your vocals are the best and very old school sounding.
Back to top Go down
http://annoyedelephants.wordpress.com/
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37647

PostSubject: Re: 20 essential thrash albums   20 essential thrash albums Icon_minitimeTue Sep 20, 2011 4:08 pm

I own exactly half of the albums on that list (incl. "Puppet...").

Surprised to see Death Angel's ACT III on here. Fine album in and of itself but it's certainly not as "thrashy" as their ULTRA VIOLENCE debut. Oh well, it's all in the eye of the beholder 'n' all that.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: 20 essential thrash albums   20 essential thrash albums Icon_minitimeTue Sep 20, 2011 4:09 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
Right up there with ACID REIGN. ;P

It's just one person's opinion. I was just surprised to see Ultimatum on there at all.

Fat Freddy wrote:

Surprised to see Death Angel's ACT III on here. Fine album in and of itself but it's certainly not as "thrashy" as their ULTRA VIOLENCE debut. Oh well, it's all in the eye of the beholder 'n' all that.

"Act III" is my favorite as well. Lots of "mood" on that one and not just thrash for thrash sake.

Baron Von 40oz.
EvyMetal

Number of posts : 4386

PostSubject: Re: 20 essential thrash albums   20 essential thrash albums Icon_minitimeTue Sep 20, 2011 4:16 pm

Never heard of Viking
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37647

PostSubject: Re: 20 essential thrash albums   20 essential thrash albums Icon_minitimeTue Sep 20, 2011 4:20 pm

ultmetal wrote:

Fat Freddy wrote:

"Act III" is my favorite as well. Lots of "mood" on that one and not just thrash for thrash sake.

Oh yeah, I dig ACT III as well, but I'd say there's more "mood" than there is "thrash" on it. Maybe it's just me.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28447

PostSubject: Re: 20 essential thrash albums   20 essential thrash albums Icon_minitimeTue Sep 20, 2011 4:26 pm

He said Viking's vocalist/guitarist Matt Eriksen became Christian, but his name is Ron Eriksen (his real name is Ron Daniel; Eriksen is his stage name). Matt Jordan is the drummer, who also became Christian a few months after Ron did. The band has since reformed, with Ron and Matt both in the reformed lineup.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: 20 essential thrash albums   20 essential thrash albums Icon_minitimeTue Sep 20, 2011 4:33 pm

I have half of those albums.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: 20 essential thrash albums   20 essential thrash albums Icon_minitimeTue Sep 20, 2011 5:28 pm

Not a bad list. I wouldn't put F&J at number 1, but that's just me. I never found the appeal of that album. Moving on...

Quote :
Sadly overlooked album, and an underground classic in its own right. These Dutchmen sure could deliver fine thrash and this album is infectious. Stephan Gebedy had a very "European" thrash kind of voice if you know what I mean. Songs like "Aggressive Perfector" and "Outward Of The Inward" are sheer intensity. Top album.

Never heard of them or that album. Anyone?

Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: 20 essential thrash albums   20 essential thrash albums Icon_minitimeTue Sep 20, 2011 5:40 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Not a bad list. I wouldn't put F&J at number 1, but that's just me. I never found the appeal of that album. Moving on...

Quote :

Nope, never heard that one either. Started searching it out after I read it though. Smile

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39597

PostSubject: Re: 20 essential thrash albums   20 essential thrash albums Icon_minitimeTue Sep 20, 2011 6:00 pm

Hmmm, I own half of those albums also (and I'd sure like to add a few of those to my collection).
Back to top Go down
325ad
Metal master
Metal master
325ad

Number of posts : 532

PostSubject: Re: 20 essential thrash albums   20 essential thrash albums Icon_minitimeTue Sep 20, 2011 7:10 pm

I own 7 from the list. Congrats Ult, but I like your "In the Pit" the best.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: 20 essential thrash albums   20 essential thrash albums Icon_minitimeTue Sep 20, 2011 7:15 pm

325ad wrote:
I own 7 from the list. Congrats Ult, but I like your "In the Pit" the best.

Me too. Also I like Mechanics Of Perilous Times more than Puppet too.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
metalhead777
Metal master
Metal master
metalhead777

Number of posts : 842

PostSubject: Re: 20 essential thrash albums   20 essential thrash albums Icon_minitimeTue Sep 20, 2011 8:20 pm

Viking always came off as pretty bad to me. I couldn't bear to listen all the way through man of straw.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: 20 essential thrash albums   20 essential thrash albums Icon_minitimeTue Sep 20, 2011 8:36 pm

Surprisingly I own 7 from that list as well.

ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: 20 essential thrash albums   20 essential thrash albums Icon_minitimeTue Sep 20, 2011 8:40 pm

metalhead777 wrote:
Viking always came off as pretty bad to me. I couldn't bear to listen all the way through man of straw.

I really like Man of Straw.

Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: 20 essential thrash albums   20 essential thrash albums Icon_minitimeTue Sep 20, 2011 10:01 pm

Have all those albums either as original copies or dubs. Pretty good picks for the most part, never thought I'd see Acid Reign's Obnoxious on any kind of "best of" list haha.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
Leatherface
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Leatherface

Number of posts : 18939

PostSubject: Re: 20 essential thrash albums   20 essential thrash albums Icon_minitimeWed Sep 21, 2011 1:01 am

Great that No Place For Disgace is on their. Great record that never got it's due.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rickcaudill2
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: 20 essential thrash albums   20 essential thrash albums Icon_minitimeWed Sep 21, 2011 9:40 am

exact33 wrote:
Surprisingly I own 7 from that list as well.

I've got 13 of 'em. I never heard Viking, but their name seems to come up whenever the topic of "best band you never heard of" thing comes up.

Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: 20 essential thrash albums   20 essential thrash albums Icon_minitimeWed Sep 21, 2011 9:57 am

I own 14 off that list.Good to see Ultimatum make the list, but I still prefer Into the Pit more.

Man of Straw is a very good album
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: 20 essential thrash albums   20 essential thrash albums Icon_minitimeWed Sep 21, 2011 10:03 am

ultmetal wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

Quote :

Nope, never heard that one either. Started searching it out after I read it though. Smile

I'd describe them as death metal, not thrash....

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: 20 essential thrash albums   20 essential thrash albums Icon_minitimeWed Sep 21, 2011 10:11 am

I own these 14:

1. Flotsam and Jetsam: "No Place For Disgrace".
2. Annihilator: "Never, Neverland"
4. Viking: "Man Of Straw"
6. Kreator: "Terrible Certainty"
8. Laaz Rockit: "Annihilation Principle"
10. Sabbat: "Dreamweaver"
11. Dark Angel: "Darkness Descends"
12. Anthrax: "Among The Living"
13. Overkill: "Under The Influence"
14. Nuclear Assault: "Handle With Care"
15. Death Angel: "Act III"
16. Exodus: "Fabulous Disaster"
17. Ultimatum: "Puppet Of Destruction"
20. Sepultura: "Beneath The Remains"

Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: 20 essential thrash albums   20 essential thrash albums Icon_minitimeWed Sep 21, 2011 10:14 am

kmorg wrote:
ultmetal wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

Quote :

I'd describe them as death metal, not thrash....

It's a mix between the two really, pretty damn good. Though yes they do lean towards Death Metal more
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: 20 essential thrash albums   20 essential thrash albums Icon_minitimeWed Sep 21, 2011 10:30 am

"Among the Living" is probably the most overrated thrash album ever. I loved it as a kid but it did not age well. I can't listen to it any more.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 20 essential thrash albums   20 essential thrash albums Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

20 essential thrash albums
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next