Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What do you think are the essential albums from Schenker ?

Go down 
+8
Gilbert
80s Metal Lady
nevermore
manny
Boris2008
Wrecked Neck
Lari
Dark Horseman
12 posters
AuthorMessage
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

What do you think are the essential albums from Schenker ? Empty
PostSubject: What do you think are the essential albums from Schenker ?   What do you think are the essential albums from Schenker ? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 12, 2017 11:52 am

Any band he's played with can be listed. I've only got a couple by him so i'm thinking I need to get more.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6337

PostSubject: Re: What do you think are the essential albums from Schenker ?   What do you think are the essential albums from Schenker ? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 12, 2017 12:48 pm

Essential, GET THEM NOW:

UFO - Phenomenon
UFO - Force It
UFO - No Heavy Petting
UFO - Lights Out
UFO - Obsession
UFO - Strangers in the Night (LIVE, kickass)
MSG - The Michael Schenker Group
MSG - MSG

These are not essential, but pretty damn good:

MSG - Assault Attack (if you like Graham Bonnett)
MSG - Built to Destroy (only if you really like the first two MSG albums)
UFO - Walk on Water (probably the best of the reunion era UFO albums)
UFO - The Covenant (there's a version with a pretty good live bonus CD)
UFO - Sharks (only if you like the first two reunion albums)

Glower likes this post

Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

PostSubject: Re: What do you think are the essential albums from Schenker ?   What do you think are the essential albums from Schenker ? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 12, 2017 12:53 pm

One more I can think of:

MSG - One Night at Budokan (if you like live albums, and you like MSG this one is pretty essential)
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

PostSubject: Re: What do you think are the essential albums from Schenker ?   What do you think are the essential albums from Schenker ? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 12, 2017 7:54 pm

I have a couple of the UFO albums, Assault Attack and Built To Destroy. I'll be checking out the others you listed.
Back to top Go down
Wrecked Neck
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wrecked Neck

Number of posts : 2654

PostSubject: Re: What do you think are the essential albums from Schenker ?   What do you think are the essential albums from Schenker ? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 12, 2017 8:19 pm

The only two I have are Scorpions, Lonesome Crow and Lovedrive. Both are must haves far as I'm concerned. Never could get into UFO much, nor have I tried the MSG albums yet. The latter is on my radar, but I've heard enough of UFO to know they aren't my cup of tea.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: What do you think are the essential albums from Schenker ?   What do you think are the essential albums from Schenker ? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 12, 2017 9:04 pm

Everything he played on up to and including Assault Attack. I kind of lost track after that but I'm sure he's done lots of other great stuff.

Personal favourites

UFO - Phenomenon
MSG - One Night in Budokan
Scorpions - Lovedrive
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: What do you think are the essential albums from Schenker ?   What do you think are the essential albums from Schenker ? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 12, 2017 9:14 pm

UFO- Strangers in the Night, one of the greatest live albums and serves as a handy introduction to the band

Comps are also good place to start, so the Essential Michael Schenker Group, which can found cheap and is a great introduction to MSG early years.
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25889

PostSubject: Re: What do you think are the essential albums from Schenker ?   What do you think are the essential albums from Schenker ? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 12, 2017 9:40 pm

Boris2008 wrote:
Everything he played on up to and including Assault Attack. I kind of lost track after that but I'm sure he's done lots of other great stuff.

Personal favourites

UFO - Phenomenon
Scorpions - Lovedrive

These 3 absolutely rule!!!
Back to top Go down
80s Metal Lady
Metal master
Metal master
80s Metal Lady

Number of posts : 896

PostSubject: Re: What do you think are the essential albums from Schenker ?   What do you think are the essential albums from Schenker ? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 12, 2017 10:41 pm

MSG (1981) -- Has "Let Sleeping Dogs Lie," "Secondary Motion," "But I Want More," and "On And On" which are all awesome!

I loved Perfect Timing back in the day, but I don't think it's aged well.
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

PostSubject: Re: What do you think are the essential albums from Schenker ?   What do you think are the essential albums from Schenker ? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 12, 2017 11:20 pm

Listening to his stuff and i'm finding it is so much better live.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

PostSubject: Re: What do you think are the essential albums from Schenker ?   What do you think are the essential albums from Schenker ? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 13, 2017 4:09 am

Boris2008 wrote:

Personal favourites

UFO - Phenomenon
Scorpions - Lovedrive

Lights Out and Force It are probably my two favourite UFO discs. But all of them with Schenker are good.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9888

PostSubject: Re: What do you think are the essential albums from Schenker ?   What do you think are the essential albums from Schenker ? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 13, 2017 4:23 am

Not much of a fan. Only own a best of which i rarely spin. I would cite scorpions - lovedrive.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: What do you think are the essential albums from Schenker ?   What do you think are the essential albums from Schenker ? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 13, 2017 9:48 am

manny wrote:
Comps are also good place to start, so the Essential Michael Schenker Group, which can found cheap and is a great introduction to MSG early years.

The Essential MSG and The Essential UFO give me all the Schenker I need. I love the Scorpions Lonesome Crow album too, but that one is such a weird, non-Scorpions like album.

I also have MSG's Heavy Hitters, which is a cover tunes album. I enjoy it, but it's hardly essential listening unless you really dig cover tunes.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS

Number of posts : 2998

PostSubject: Re: What do you think are the essential albums from Schenker ?   What do you think are the essential albums from Schenker ? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 13, 2017 10:20 am

Pretty much what Lari Said. But don't bother seeing him live. His band quit on him right before I saw MSG the last three times. I am out over a hundred bucks because of his Bullshit.
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

PostSubject: Re: What do you think are the essential albums from Schenker ?   What do you think are the essential albums from Schenker ? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 13, 2017 12:34 pm

Have you watched his Temple of Rock live? It's pretty amazing.
Back to top Go down
Glower
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

Number of posts : 3175

PostSubject: Re: What do you think are the essential albums from Schenker ?   What do you think are the essential albums from Schenker ? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 09, 2021 5:39 pm

I was surprised when this song came on the CD !
They did pretty good with it !
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9888

PostSubject: Re: What do you think are the essential albums from Schenker ?   What do you think are the essential albums from Schenker ? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 09, 2021 7:29 pm

We haven't seen Dark Horseman, the author of this thread, in a long time.

Hope he is ok.
Back to top Go down
pdf0427
Metal novice
Metal novice

Number of posts : 26

PostSubject: Re: What do you think are the essential albums from Schenker ?   What do you think are the essential albums from Schenker ? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 16, 2021 12:49 pm

For me, Strangers In The Night summarizes the classic UFO years, and One Night At Budokan takes care of the early MSG days. If you like those, you can then go deeper into those eras. I personally also really enjoy the mid-90s output (UFO's Walk On Water and MSG Written In The Sand). I don't really find anything else essential. There's plenty of other good stuff, but I find most of the other records far more inconsistent.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What do you think are the essential albums from Schenker ?   What do you think are the essential albums from Schenker ? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What do you think are the essential albums from Schenker ?
Page 1 of 1