Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

NLTM Sept. '11 Update

Go down 
+20
novellahub
Eyesore
Required Fields
jettafiend
Wurthless
nevermore
GrandNational
TheseGoTo11
Vexer6
Tur-Thalion
The_Jayroh
kmorg
Wargod
thejokeriv
TheGreatDuck
manny
Jesusandmetal23
chewie
ultmetal
24 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

NLTM Sept. '11 Update Empty
PostSubject: NLTM Sept. '11 Update   NLTM Sept. '11 Update Icon_minitimeThu Sep 01, 2011 11:19 pm

http://www.nolifetilmetal.com/updates.htm

If anyone sees and mistakes, typos, etc.please let me know.

Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: NLTM Sept. '11 Update   NLTM Sept. '11 Update Icon_minitimeFri Sep 02, 2011 12:12 am

In the Toto Isolation review you have this situation reversed

new singer Bobby Kimball who replaced Fergie Frederiksen. Kimball is a smooth tenor with a big AOR voice

it should read:

new singer Fergie Frederiksen who replaced Bobby Kimball. Frederiksen is a smooth tenor with a big AOR voice....

and on a side note, Fergie was the lead singer on the first Trillion album and also on Le Roux's fifth album when Jeff Pollard left to start a Christian ministry(he was the one that helped Kerry Livgren convert).

If you take How Does It Feel and Holyanna off of Isolation you can listen to it all the way thru(I don't like those two songs at all) and makes for a very good album. Mr. Friendly has a companion song by The Tubes called Mr. Hate(I think some Toto members play on that song and some Tubes members play on the Toto song, though I could be wrong about that part).

the Styx Pieces of Eight review this weird word is here.
of those songs that helped make Styx a band that people openlyqueen mocked

Checking out Mastodon clips on youtube for that Crack The Skye album......
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40562

PostSubject: Re: NLTM Sept. '11 Update   NLTM Sept. '11 Update Icon_minitimeFri Sep 02, 2011 9:00 am

Readin your reviews (and what has been posted here) about White Wizzard makes me want to check them out. They seriously sound like something that would be right up my alley.
Back to top Go down
Jesusandmetal23
If it jams it jams
Jesusandmetal23

Number of posts : 1023

PostSubject: Re: NLTM Sept. '11 Update   NLTM Sept. '11 Update Icon_minitimeFri Sep 02, 2011 9:35 am

About time you got Crack the Skye.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: NLTM Sept. '11 Update   NLTM Sept. '11 Update Icon_minitimeFri Sep 02, 2011 10:00 am

Read your review on Hanoi Rocks, and right on, these guys were most certainly influenced by Aerosmith and New York Dolls, excellent job as always.
Back to top Go down
TheGreatDuck
Metal master
Metal master
TheGreatDuck

Number of posts : 648

PostSubject: Re: NLTM Sept. '11 Update   NLTM Sept. '11 Update Icon_minitimeFri Sep 02, 2011 10:44 am

Nice update, Ult!
Will you be getting stuff by any other '70s bands ? Like, say, Humble Pie,Bad Company, Spooky Tooth,Status Quo or Grand Funk Railroad?
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: NLTM Sept. '11 Update   NLTM Sept. '11 Update Icon_minitimeFri Sep 02, 2011 11:13 am

007 wrote:
Readin your reviews (and what has been posted here) about White Wizzard makes me want to check them out. They seriously sound like something that would be right up my alley.

If you like NWOBHM stuff, you'll dig them. I was surprised how much I liked them. They are like Diamond Head meets early Def Leppard with Saxon as their bastard child and Steve Harris on bass.

manny wrote:
Read your review on Hanoi Rocks, and right on, these guys were most certainly influenced by Aerosmith and New York Dolls, excellent job as always.

HR are lumped in as a Hollywood pop metal band, and though their look definitely has that vibe, that's not really their sound IMO. They are far more punk, far more camp, etc.

TheGreatDuck wrote:
Nice update, Ult!
Will you be getting stuff by any other '70s bands ? Like, say, Humble Pie,Bad Company, Spooky Tooth,Status Quo or Grand Funk Railroad?

I have lots of Grand Funk Railroad on vinyl. I suppose I should get that stuff on my site eventually. Will be adding some more Nazareth too as I am really digging on them right now. I'd like to add some Cactus as well someday. So many great bands...

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: NLTM Sept. '11 Update   NLTM Sept. '11 Update Icon_minitimeFri Sep 02, 2011 11:27 am

Great review of Crack The Skye!!!! I thought you would like it, especially since it is very 70's influenced
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: NLTM Sept. '11 Update   NLTM Sept. '11 Update Icon_minitimeFri Sep 02, 2011 11:28 am

Definitley add Grand Funk Railroad, they were at the time consider a metal band by peps at Rolling Stone, Hit Parader, and Creem, and were for a short awhile they were the most successful touring act of the early 1970's, which is hard to believe since they are hardly remembered by anyone under 40.
Back to top Go down
Wargod
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

PostSubject: Re: NLTM Sept. '11 Update   NLTM Sept. '11 Update Icon_minitimeFri Sep 02, 2011 11:49 am

Nazareth is one of my all time favs having all their albums and cds.

Wargod
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: NLTM Sept. '11 Update   NLTM Sept. '11 Update Icon_minitimeFri Sep 02, 2011 12:07 pm

Darn, you beat me to it! I was gonna update Metal Metropolis! Laughing

Metal master
Metal master
TheGreatDuck

Number of posts : 648

PostSubject: Re: NLTM Sept. '11 Update   NLTM Sept. '11 Update Icon_minitimeFri Sep 02, 2011 3:24 pm

ultmetal wrote:

TheGreatDuck wrote:
Nice update, Ult!

I have lots of Grand Funk Railroad on vinyl. I suppose I should get that stuff on my site eventually. Will be adding some more Nazareth too as I am really digging on them right now. I'd like to add some Cactus as well someday. So many great bands...

Have you heard 70s REO Speedwagon? They were a pretty decent hard rock band then, too bad they chose too go the cheesy pop-rock route....
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: NLTM Sept. '11 Update   NLTM Sept. '11 Update Icon_minitimeFri Sep 02, 2011 3:58 pm

TheGreatDuck wrote:
ultmetal wrote:

TheGreatDuck wrote:
Nice update, Ult!

Have you heard 70s REO Speedwagon? They were a pretty decent hard rock band then, too bad they chose too go the cheesy pop-rock route....
'

Yes, I've heard some of that old REO stuff. Saw then in concert a few times as well.

Metal master
Metal master
The_Jayroh

Number of posts : 823

PostSubject: Re: NLTM Sept. '11 Update   NLTM Sept. '11 Update Icon_minitimeFri Sep 02, 2011 4:33 pm

Yeah! Love Crack the Skye. If you get another Mastodon album you should get Leviathan! I'm not pushing you, just giving a suggestion. Crack the Skye is different than their other albums.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1009170115&sk=info
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: NLTM Sept. '11 Update   NLTM Sept. '11 Update Icon_minitimeFri Sep 02, 2011 5:08 pm

The_Jayroh wrote:
Yeah! Love Crack the Skye. If you get another Mastodon album you should get Leviathan! I'm not pushing you, just giving a suggestion. Crack the Skye is different than their other albums.

I have a bunch of promo stickers of Levianthan.

Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Tur-Thalion

Number of posts : 350

PostSubject: Re: NLTM Sept. '11 Update   NLTM Sept. '11 Update Icon_minitimeFri Sep 02, 2011 6:11 pm

Actually I think for fans of Crack the Skye, Blood Mountain is a better second album to get. I love Leviathan, but I think there is more continuity of style between Blood Mountain to Crack the Skye.

I saw a typo in your review of Believer - Dimensions. The first word needs an apostrophe -> Believer's.
Back to top Go down
Vexer6
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Vexer6

Number of posts : 1307

PostSubject: Re: NLTM Sept. '11 Update   NLTM Sept. '11 Update Icon_minitimeFri Sep 02, 2011 9:07 pm

This isn't really related to the update, but I just noticed that there's no link to Joan Jett from the main page.
Back to top Go down
TheseGoTo11
Metal novice
Metal novice
TheseGoTo11

Number of posts : 33

PostSubject: Re: NLTM Sept. '11 Update   NLTM Sept. '11 Update Icon_minitimeSat Sep 03, 2011 1:15 am

Hey Scott and everyone, what's up? I've been meaning to register here all year and I finally got around to it! Hope everyone is doing well.

Scott- I was reading your Mastodon review and noticed this:

drummer Brann Dailor is accused of overplayed in every song.

I think it should say 'overplaying' instead?

Anyhow, glad to finally be here. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

PostSubject: Re: NLTM Sept. '11 Update   NLTM Sept. '11 Update Icon_minitimeSat Sep 03, 2011 1:53 am

TheseGoTo11.....I dig your name, welcome!
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: NLTM Sept. '11 Update   NLTM Sept. '11 Update Icon_minitimeSat Sep 03, 2011 4:15 am

Yeah, Welcome TheseGoTo11!!

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26454

PostSubject: Re: NLTM Sept. '11 Update   NLTM Sept. '11 Update Icon_minitimeSat Sep 03, 2011 8:17 pm

Nice update! Enjoyed the Havok and Mastodon reviews.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: NLTM Sept. '11 Update   NLTM Sept. '11 Update Icon_minitimeSat Sep 03, 2011 11:04 pm

Thanks for catching all the typos/errors. Appreciate it.

Metal is Forever
Wurthless

Number of posts : 5067

PostSubject: Re: NLTM Sept. '11 Update   NLTM Sept. '11 Update Icon_minitimeSat Sep 03, 2011 11:43 pm

Ult, I was looking at your Chastain collection on your site and you have the 2 CD version of Voice of the Cult and 7th of Never, correct? I saw that on Amazon going for 60 dollars, I thought I would tell you in case you wanted to sell it (not to me though! haha). I guess it must have become quite the rarity.
Back to top Go down
jettafiend
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

Number of posts : 1137

PostSubject: Re: NLTM Sept. '11 Update   NLTM Sept. '11 Update Icon_minitimeSun Sep 04, 2011 1:24 am

TheGreatDuck wrote:
Nice update, Ult!

Good call on Quo. Fantastic band... Once you get past their first couple of psychedelic albums. Solid slab of RnR!!!
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

PostSubject: Re: NLTM Sept. '11 Update   NLTM Sept. '11 Update Icon_minitimeSun Sep 04, 2011 1:55 am

ultmetal wrote:
The_Jayroh wrote:

I have a bunch of promo stickers of Levianthan.

Although I know it's a different Leviathan entirely, did you ever hear the Leviathan which had Chris Barnes (of Cannibal Corpse fame) on the mic? Awesome stuff!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: NLTM Sept. '11 Update   NLTM Sept. '11 Update Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

NLTM Sept. '11 Update
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next