Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

SLAAAYYYYYYEERRRRR!!!

Go down 
+22
CraiggyOats
Gilbert
Joe
krokus
Witchfinder
Fat Freddy
Mglaffas81
Alex Dee Rokket
The_Jayroh
Required Fields
mc666
Schbopo
Nico
arachnoplasma
Spiner202
MetalGuy71
Cognitive Dissonance
DallasBlack
thejokeriv
Temple of Blood
ultmetal
26 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

SLAAAYYYYYYEERRRRR!!! Empty
PostSubject: SLAAAYYYYYYEERRRRR!!!   SLAAAYYYYYYEERRRRR!!! Icon_minitimeWed Aug 24, 2011 3:21 pm

SLAAAYYYYYYEERRRRR!!! Cover
World Painted Blood

Why do people dislike this album? It kicks butt! headbanger

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40560

PostSubject: Re: SLAAAYYYYYYEERRRRR!!!   SLAAAYYYYYYEERRRRR!!! Icon_minitimeWed Aug 24, 2011 3:28 pm

Haven't heard it yet. It's on my too huge want list . I've liked the recent Slayer releases so I imagine this one would be no different.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: SLAAAYYYYYYEERRRRR!!!   SLAAAYYYYYYEERRRRR!!! Icon_minitimeWed Aug 24, 2011 3:28 pm

Great album.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: SLAAAYYYYYYEERRRRR!!!   SLAAAYYYYYYEERRRRR!!! Icon_minitimeWed Aug 24, 2011 3:29 pm

ultmetal wrote:
SLAAAYYYYYYEERRRRR!!! Cover
World Painted Blood

Why do people dislike this album? It kicks butt! headbanger

No idea - AWESOME album!!!!! Best album since Seasons!!!!!
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: SLAAAYYYYYYEERRRRR!!!   SLAAAYYYYYYEERRRRR!!! Icon_minitimeWed Aug 24, 2011 3:39 pm

Don't have it, don't know. The only Slayer album I listen to on a semi-regular basis is South Of Heaven and I only have one other one.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Cognitive Dissonance
Metal student
Metal student
Cognitive Dissonance

Number of posts : 124

PostSubject: Re: SLAAAYYYYYYEERRRRR!!!   SLAAAYYYYYYEERRRRR!!! Icon_minitimeWed Aug 24, 2011 4:00 pm

Slayer bores me these days...Vektor is where it's at these days.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: SLAAAYYYYYYEERRRRR!!!   SLAAAYYYYYYEERRRRR!!! Icon_minitimeWed Aug 24, 2011 4:01 pm

Listened to it this morning while driving into work. I like it better than their last one, which never quite grabbed me. Good, but not frequently reached for.

World Painted Blood gets lotsa airplay from me.

Metal graduate
Metal graduate

Number of posts : 283

PostSubject: Re: SLAAAYYYYYYEERRRRR!!!   SLAAAYYYYYYEERRRRR!!! Icon_minitimeWed Aug 24, 2011 4:02 pm

This album is great. The production is kind of weird, but the songs themselves are well-written. Hearing Hate Worldwide and World Painted Blood live made them infinitely heavier headbanger
Back to top Go down
arachnoplasma
Metal student
Metal student
arachnoplasma

Number of posts : 244

PostSubject: Re: SLAAAYYYYYYEERRRRR!!!   SLAAAYYYYYYEERRRRR!!! Icon_minitimeWed Aug 24, 2011 4:08 pm

Funny, been listening to a marathon of Slayer today. headbanger

I think World Painted Blood is their best since Divine Intervention. It's kind of like a more focused and inspired Christ Illusion. Some classic Slayer moments, and some of the better newer ideas off their last few. Definitely a Slayer album, and that's always good thing in my book.
Back to top Go down
Nico
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Nico

Number of posts : 444

PostSubject: Re: SLAAAYYYYYYEERRRRR!!!   SLAAAYYYYYYEERRRRR!!! Icon_minitimeWed Aug 24, 2011 4:28 pm

I don't like it, I think they are just continuing down the path they've been on since Diabolus. I think nowadays they have about two or three good songs per album (I do enjoy "Hate Worldwide" and "Psychopathy Red"), but even with those songs they sound a little low on ideas.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: SLAAAYYYYYYEERRRRR!!!   SLAAAYYYYYYEERRRRR!!! Icon_minitimeWed Aug 24, 2011 4:54 pm

Nico wrote:
I don't like it, I think they are just continuing down the path they've been on since Diabolus. I think nowadays they have about two or three good songs per album (I do enjoy "Hate Worldwide" and "Psychopathy Red"), but even with those songs they sound a little low on ideas.

The title track makes me wanna bang my head furiously every time I hear it. headbanger

Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

PostSubject: Re: SLAAAYYYYYYEERRRRR!!!   SLAAAYYYYYYEERRRRR!!! Icon_minitimeWed Aug 24, 2011 7:30 pm

People who don't like it didn't seem to understand one very important fact about Slayer: Everything they've ever made sounds exactly the same.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: SLAAAYYYYYYEERRRRR!!!   SLAAAYYYYYYEERRRRR!!! Icon_minitimeWed Aug 24, 2011 7:49 pm

Every Slayer has been good IMO. This one is no exception.

Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

PostSubject: Re: SLAAAYYYYYYEERRRRR!!!   SLAAAYYYYYYEERRRRR!!! Icon_minitimeWed Aug 24, 2011 9:29 pm

I like it. It's their best since Divine Intervention, in my opinion. There are a few filler tracks, but three excellent tracks, and the rest of it is pretty good.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
The_Jayroh
Metal master
Metal master
The_Jayroh

Number of posts : 823

PostSubject: Re: SLAAAYYYYYYEERRRRR!!!   SLAAAYYYYYYEERRRRR!!! Icon_minitimeWed Aug 24, 2011 9:55 pm

WORLD PAINTED BLOOD!!!! NO SANCTUARY!!!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1009170115&sk=info

PostSubject: Re: SLAAAYYYYYYEERRRRR!!!   SLAAAYYYYYYEERRRRR!!! Icon_minitimeThu Aug 25, 2011 12:17 am

Schbopo wrote:
People who don't like it didn't seem to understand one very important fact about Slayer: Everything they've ever made sounds exactly the same.

Wrong.
Back to top Go down
The_Jayroh
Metal master
Metal master
The_Jayroh

Number of posts : 823

PostSubject: Re: SLAAAYYYYYYEERRRRR!!!   SLAAAYYYYYYEERRRRR!!! Icon_minitimeThu Aug 25, 2011 1:08 am

Schbopo wrote:

Then all those songs are the best song. Ever.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1009170115&sk=info
arachnoplasma
Metal student
Metal student
arachnoplasma

Number of posts : 244

PostSubject: Re: SLAAAYYYYYYEERRRRR!!!   SLAAAYYYYYYEERRRRR!!! Icon_minitimeThu Aug 25, 2011 2:30 am

I kinda think there are some notable differences between Show No Mercy, Hell Awaits, Reign in Blood, South of Heaven and Seasons in the Abyss, just for the first few albums. South of Heaven was practically the exact opposite of Reign in Blood. They have a signature sound, but they have experimented with their style over the years.
Back to top Go down
Alex Dee Rokket
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Alex Dee Rokket

Number of posts : 1095

PostSubject: Re: SLAAAYYYYYYEERRRRR!!!   SLAAAYYYYYYEERRRRR!!! Icon_minitimeThu Aug 25, 2011 8:23 am

Having been into Slayer for about 14 - 15 years now I can say that I went through different phases:

in my initial phase I was mostly focused on the 80s Slayer albums particularly the early 80s stuff, listening to Show No Mercy and Haunting the Chapel almost exclusively;

later on I started getting into the mid 80s Slayer period and I probably stuck with it for a long time, until more recently when I looked into Divine Intervention and Christ Illusion more closely...

I'd say my favorite Slayer albums like my top 2 now are Seasons in the Abyss and Christ Illusion.

Nothing wrong with World Painted Blood - great album. In fact my copy is somewhat weird - I got the limited edition slipcase/digipack which is supposed to come with a dvd being the making of - however (most likely due to some error in the factory) I ended up with 2 discs of the album lol

Back to top Go down
Alex Dee Rokket
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Alex Dee Rokket

PostSubject: Re: SLAAAYYYYYYEERRRRR!!!   SLAAAYYYYYYEERRRRR!!! Icon_minitimeThu Aug 25, 2011 8:34 am

Schbopo wrote:

I disagree with this remark.

There are notable differences between:

Show No Mercy and Hell Awaits - the former being heavily influenced by hardcore/punk elements and nwobhm while the latter moving into a much heavier and darker direction, kinda like a very refined Venom

Hell Awaits and Reign in Blood - the latter is all about brutally fast paced songs and epic arrangements - it's Hell Awaits but the speed is amped and the production to my ears at least paints the picture of pure evil.

Reign in Blood and South of Heaven - differences abound, SIH being considerably slower but the songs are also a bit catchier in places;

Reign in Blood, South of Heaven and Seasons - Seasons is a culmination / mix of RIB and SIH it's speed meets catchy songwriting.

post-80s Slayer then sounds again very very different:

With Divine Intervention you're almost getting a very different band from 80s Slayer. Downtuned guitars and arrangements that sound very unlike 80s Slayer. The album has more in common with post-thrash/groove era metal of the 90s.

Diabolus in Musica is again a huge departure from the thrash style of 80s Slayer. Here the band is firmly within modern 90s metal territory from production to songwriting. Instrumentally this album at the time typified the American mid-late 90s metal sound - kinda like a dirtier rawer sounding Machine Head though perhaps not as brutal as say Pantera's mid 90s outputs. Some say Diabolus was a nu-metal album - I wouldn't go that far but it certainly catered to the emerging Slipknot fanbase.

With God Hates Us All there were some traces of 80s Slayer but far and few in between. Modernity was still firmly in Kerry King's mind and a strong influence from his then favorite band in the world, Slipknot. I would say GHUA has more in common with nu-metal than Diabolus but both albums saw the band keeping with the times.

With Christ Illusion and World Painted Blood the tide turned. Nu-metal's popularity died down, Slipknot became too big for Kerry King's tastes and the demand for old school sounding thrash grew once more. These 2 albums have more in common with 80s Slayer than anything post-Seasons although some modern elements still manage to creep in from time to time.

So does all Slayer sound the same now?

Back to top Go down
Mglaffas81
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Mglaffas81

Number of posts : 2256

PostSubject: Re: SLAAAYYYYYYEERRRRR!!!   SLAAAYYYYYYEERRRRR!!! Icon_minitimeThu Aug 25, 2011 8:39 am

Slayer write catchy songs?
Back to top Go down
Alex Dee Rokket
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Alex Dee Rokket

PostSubject: Re: SLAAAYYYYYYEERRRRR!!!   SLAAAYYYYYYEERRRRR!!! Icon_minitimeThu Aug 25, 2011 8:42 am

By catchy I mean memorable...

With RIB a lot of it can seem like a mesh of speed but SIH and Seasons have far more memorable moments. You can't tell me songs like Skeletons of Society or Expandable Youth are not catchy.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: SLAAAYYYYYYEERRRRR!!!   SLAAAYYYYYYEERRRRR!!! Icon_minitimeThu Aug 25, 2011 10:24 am

Mglaffas81 wrote:

Absolutely.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: SLAAAYYYYYYEERRRRR!!!   SLAAAYYYYYYEERRRRR!!! Icon_minitimeThu Aug 25, 2011 10:31 am

Quote :
Expandable Youth

Ahhh yes, Slayer's touching treatise on the epidemic of childhood obesity.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: SLAAAYYYYYYEERRRRR!!!   SLAAAYYYYYYEERRRRR!!! Icon_minitimeThu Aug 25, 2011 10:42 am

Mglaffas81 wrote:

Rolling Eyes

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: SLAAAYYYYYYEERRRRR!!!   SLAAAYYYYYYEERRRRR!!! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

SLAAAYYYYYYEERRRRR!!!
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: