Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Worst Mainstream Film Director Working Today

Go down 
+11
Troublezone
kmorg
jstate
MetallicSeminarian
Sutekh
Leatherface
Boris2008
thejokeriv
tohostudios
Required Fields
corplhicks
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Who's the worst of these?
Michael Bay (Armageddon, Pearl Harbor, Transformers)
Worst Mainstream Film Director Working Today Vote_lcap43%Worst Mainstream Film Director Working Today Vote_rcap
 43% [ 6 ]
Roland Emmerich (ID4, Godzilla, The Patriot)
Worst Mainstream Film Director Working Today Vote_lcap7%Worst Mainstream Film Director Working Today Vote_rcap
 7% [ 1 ]
Joel Schumacher (Batman & Robin, Flatliners, Falling Down, Phantom of the Opera, The Lost Boys)
Worst Mainstream Film Director Working Today Vote_lcap0%Worst Mainstream Film Director Working Today Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Uwe Boll (House of the Dead, BloodRayne, Alone in the Dark, Far Cry, Postal, Seed, Rampage)
Worst Mainstream Film Director Working Today Vote_lcap50%Worst Mainstream Film Director Working Today Vote_rcap
 50% [ 7 ]
Paul W.S. Anderson (Event Horizon, AvP, Death Race, Resident Evil)
Worst Mainstream Film Director Working Today Vote_lcap0%Worst Mainstream Film Director Working Today Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 14

AuthorMessage
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

Worst Mainstream Film Director Working Today Empty
PostSubject: Worst Mainstream Film Director Working Today   Worst Mainstream Film Director Working Today Icon_minitimeTue Sep 17, 2013 5:46 pm

I chose Boll without hesitation.

On a side note, I will say there is one movie of Schumacher's that I very much enjoyed, which is A Time to Kill. Less because of his direction, which was still uneven and poorly mounted, but more because of the provocative premise and stellar performances (talk about casting against type). Quite a surprise from one of the most heavy-handed and clumsiest directors out there.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Worst Mainstream Film Director Working Today   Worst Mainstream Film Director Working Today Icon_minitimeTue Sep 17, 2013 5:48 pm

Boll is fairly easy to ignore due to his usual low budget and/or direct-to-video fare.

Right now I'm sitting here trying to decide who I hate more...Bay...or Emmerich. Both are SO INCREDIBLY AWFUL that it might take me awhile to decide.

Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Worst Mainstream Film Director Working Today   Worst Mainstream Film Director Working Today Icon_minitimeTue Sep 17, 2013 5:57 pm

S.D. wrote:
Boll is fairly easy to ignore due to his usual low budget and/or direct-to-video fare.  

Right now I'm sitting here trying to decide who I hate more...Bay...or Emmerich.  Both are SO INCREDIBLY AWFUL that it might take me awhile to decide.  

Come now, man. At least Emmerich's movies make visual sense, whereas Bay's films are incoherent and incomprehensible...

You're right about Boll; I suspect fewer people here have seen his films than those of the other names'.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28392

PostSubject: Re: Worst Mainstream Film Director Working Today   Worst Mainstream Film Director Working Today Icon_minitimeTue Sep 17, 2013 6:45 pm

Why, oh, why are Jason Friedberg and Aaron Seltzer not an option here?
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Worst Mainstream Film Director Working Today   Worst Mainstream Film Director Working Today Icon_minitimeTue Sep 17, 2013 6:47 pm

Has to be Uwe Boll.

Although I almost voted Emmerich because his "Godzilla" was a desecration of a sacred franchise. That monster is what Jay Leno would look like if he was reincarnated as an iguana.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Worst Mainstream Film Director Working Today   Worst Mainstream Film Director Working Today Icon_minitimeTue Sep 17, 2013 7:15 pm

Went with Boll.... I have liked films by all of the other directors. Bay's worst flick was easily Pearl Harbor - I liked all of his other flicks to some extent.

If it wasn't for Falling Down (which is a GREAT flick) or the fun Lost Boys, Schumaker could have easily won for Batman & Robin.

Anderson's flicks I have seen are OK, not great, but not so terrible I had to turn most of them off. Emmerich has been hit or miss since ID4 (a great flick that I can easily re-watch). Universal Soldier was fun, Stargate is great. The Patriot was good. The rest? Ouch, he's had some bad material to film since then! I haven't seen White House Down, but I will when it's out on DVD.

Generally, I like big, action-adventure summer popcorn flicks.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Worst Mainstream Film Director Working Today   Worst Mainstream Film Director Working Today Icon_minitimeTue Sep 17, 2013 8:06 pm

I like big, action-adventure flicks as well but I also know that it's possible to make them smart and funny. These clowns make films that getting a lobotomy prior to entering the theater should be a prerequisite. Razz 

Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Worst Mainstream Film Director Working Today   Worst Mainstream Film Director Working Today Icon_minitimeTue Sep 17, 2013 9:16 pm

S.D. wrote:
I like big, action-adventure flicks as well but I also know that it's possible to make them smart and funny.  These clowns make films that getting a lobotomy prior to entering the theater should be a prerequisite. Razz 

LOL!!!!

But I do like most of Bay's flicks - I find them fun. Easily forgettable and fun. Then again, I also like some independent movies too. And I also took some film classes in college (including screenwriting - cool class! Aced it!)

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Worst Mainstream Film Director Working Today   Worst Mainstream Film Director Working Today Icon_minitimeTue Sep 17, 2013 11:09 pm

Watching a Michael Bay film is like listening to one of those annoying 80s instrumental shred metal guitarists.  The technique is there...but they have no sense of taste or restraint and just bludgeon you to death with ridiculous speed and bombast.  So after 20 minutes I'm sick of it...after 40 minutes I'm falling asleep with boredom...after an hour I'm walking out of the theater in search of headache medication.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Worst Mainstream Film Director Working Today   Worst Mainstream Film Director Working Today Icon_minitimeTue Sep 17, 2013 11:49 pm

S.D. wrote:
Watching a Michael Bay film is like listening to one of those annoying 80s instrumental shred metal guitarists.  The technique is there...but they have no sense of taste or restraint and just bludgeon you to death with ridiculous speed and bombast.  So after 20 minutes I'm sick of it...after 40 minutes I'm falling asleep with boredom...after an hour I'm walking out of the theater in search of headache medication.
This is exactly how I felt with Transformers. I had no idea what the hell happened when the credits were rolling, and I literally had a raging headache. Like, I actually went home and took 2 Aleve. It was just so much sensory overload, and I get it when people compare the film's style and the cartoon's, but I had seen the old animated movie (w/the Lyon theme) and a. my head felt fine after b. everything that happened during those 60 or 75 minutes, whatever, made complete sense.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Worst Mainstream Film Director Working Today   Worst Mainstream Film Director Working Today Icon_minitimeWed Sep 18, 2013 2:44 am

I've only seen Postal from Boll, just awful.

Event Horizon was cool, I don't care what anyone says, so that's Anderson out.

Joel Schumacher has made too many films that i didn't hate Lost Boys, Flatliners, 8MM, The Number 23.

So that leaves Bay & Emmerich

I'm going with Bay as Emmerich has Independence Day which I love! (Again, I don't care! Laughing very hard) Bay has nothing, just an uninterrupted shower of poo since 1995!! Worst Mainstream Film Director Working Today 288219  
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Worst Mainstream Film Director Working Today   Worst Mainstream Film Director Working Today Icon_minitimeWed Sep 18, 2013 4:03 am

Boris2008 wrote:
I've only seen Postal from Boll, just awful.

Event Horizon was cool, I don't care what anyone says, so that's Anderson out.

Joel Schumacher has made too many films that i didn't hate Lost Boys, Flatliners, 8MM, The Number 23.

So that leaves Bay & Emmerich

I'm going with Bay as Emmerich has Independence Day which I love! (Again, I don't care! Laughing very hard) Bay has nothing, just an uninterrupted shower of poo since 1995!! Worst Mainstream Film Director Working Today 288219  
Lost Boys is a terrible movie. Didn't even like it as a kid. Some sincerely shoddy direction, isn't even fun to watch. Now that I've got that off my chest...

Anderson baffles me to no extent. Out of every mainstream filmmaker out there, he's gotta be the most enigmatic of them all. Event Horizon was an almost badass sci-fi with a cool premise, top notch cast, and stunning FX for the time. It's too bad the full cut will no longer see the light of day, because the main problem is the convoluted story arc and uneven pacing. Otherwise, he had a genuine effort going there, a really solid sci-fi-cum-horror effort. This was after the earnest and acceptable Mortal Kombat, which I enjoyed very much. Then came Soldier, and things started getting silly but still looked okay and made me think, "high-budget b-movie director." Finally, Resident Evil came along split the crowd (I loved it). The thing about these movies is that they are done with a certain amount of fun and energy while at the same time filmed with a certain style--think Verhoeven lite.

Then the dude does AvP.

What the Goddamn actual F*ck.

Style thrown out the window. Bland setups. Dark, drab photography. Hokey FX. Ludicrous dialogue and unlikable characters. PG-13. Lack of concept. Raping the Alien mythology. I could go on.

Death Race comes along and I'm hopeful but NOPE! Boring as hell, lacking in the kind of attitude it needed, and less tension than the Corman's original, which is saying a lot. I gave up on him after that. The wtf thing is the dude knows his stuff and has potential to create some good shit, but something keeps him from that. Maybe he feels too obligated to the studios, I dunno.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Worst Mainstream Film Director Working Today   Worst Mainstream Film Director Working Today Icon_minitimeWed Sep 18, 2013 4:16 am

I've got to admit that I haven't seen The Lost Boys since I was a teenager but I don't remember hating it. I think that the fact is that all of these guys are bad. But Bay is so consistently terrible that he takes the prize.

Another one would be Gus Van Sant. I just don't get this f**king guy. How Milk got best film over The Wrestler is something I will never understand! Drugstore Cowboy & Good Will Hunting are both decent but massively over rated, the rest is just shocking!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Worst Mainstream Film Director Working Today   Worst Mainstream Film Director Working Today Icon_minitimeWed Sep 18, 2013 4:25 am

I ended up going with Emmerich, as much as I'm annoyed by Michael Bay it almost feels like Emmerich opened the door that allowed Bay to slink through. Bay started out as a music video director and worked his way into features, Emmerich graduated from a prestigious German film school and should know better.

If someone asked me to pick examples of really bad acting and hamfisted direction I could pick multiple examples from every single Emmerich film...and I'm not solely blaming the actors because generally he works with people that are good elsewhere, but who suddenly look amateurish when taking direction from him. The term "groan-inducing" is used a lot when I try to describe his films. The last Emmerich film I sat through was The Day After Tomorrow and I decided to never waste another minute of my time after that.

Back to top Go down
Leatherface
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Leatherface

Number of posts : 18880

PostSubject: Re: Worst Mainstream Film Director Working Today   Worst Mainstream Film Director Working Today Icon_minitimeWed Sep 18, 2013 4:40 am

Boll
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rickcaudill2
Sutekh
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Sutekh

Number of posts : 1466

PostSubject: Re: Worst Mainstream Film Director Working Today   Worst Mainstream Film Director Working Today Icon_minitimeWed Sep 18, 2013 8:30 am

Bay. Seeing his name attached is enough to put me off even contemplating seeing it.
Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

Number of posts : 1698

PostSubject: Re: Worst Mainstream Film Director Working Today   Worst Mainstream Film Director Working Today Icon_minitimeWed Sep 18, 2013 8:52 am

Top 3 worst:

1. MICHAEL BAY

2. MICHAEL BAY

3. MICHAEL BAY
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Worst Mainstream Film Director Working Today   Worst Mainstream Film Director Working Today Icon_minitimeWed Sep 18, 2013 9:58 am

Isn't that Boll guy's gimmick that he is really bad.  Like it's a selling point for him?  

I'm with-holding a vote since outside of Boll (who I've never seen his films) each has done some work I am a fan of.  I still really enjoy Armageddon.  And apparently have wisely stayed away from his later stuff.

With Emmerich, I'm a fan of Universal Soldier, Independence Day (guilty pleasure!), and The Day After Tomorrow.  Godzilla (a sacrilege) and 2012 were beyond awful IMO.  Just for those he probably deserves my vote.

Schumacher gets a pass because I love The Lost Boys.  And I'll excuse Batman & Robin as him taking a payday.

Anderson is interesting because Resident Evil has got to be my number one guilty pleasure series of the last decade.  He didn't direct them all but even the ones he did I still get a kick out of.  I just like them as fun and mindless entertainment.  Funny thing is I only played the game once on the original play station and don't think I even got out of the hallway at the beginning.  Hated it, but love the movies.  Go figure.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Worst Mainstream Film Director Working Today   Worst Mainstream Film Director Working Today Icon_minitimeWed Sep 18, 2013 1:20 pm

Schumacher does not belong in this thread. The Lost Boys is one of my all time favorite movies! I really liked Flatliners as well.

Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Worst Mainstream Film Director Working Today   Worst Mainstream Film Director Working Today Icon_minitimeWed Sep 18, 2013 2:18 pm

Sorry, Kurt. Schumacher is recognized world-wide as a bad filmmaker. And no matter how much anyone loves Lost Boys, it is indeed a poorly made film. Also important to realize that Schumacher actually became worse as his career progressed and he was given greater creative control. That's saying a lot.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17062

PostSubject: Re: Worst Mainstream Film Director Working Today   Worst Mainstream Film Director Working Today Icon_minitimeSun Sep 22, 2013 5:44 pm

Toss up between Boll and Bay. Went with Boll.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: Worst Mainstream Film Director Working Today   Worst Mainstream Film Director Working Today Icon_minitimeSun Sep 22, 2013 7:38 pm

I went with Bay - he destroyed the Transformers in a way Megatron never could...

EmoElmo
Metal master
Metal master
EmoElmo

Number of posts : 626

PostSubject: Re: Worst Mainstream Film Director Working Today   Worst Mainstream Film Director Working Today Icon_minitimeSun Sep 22, 2013 9:12 pm

Worst Mainstream Film Director Working Today Url-1

I can't believe you left this clown out Laughing 

He probably made 1 or 2 decent movies (6th sense, Unbreakable)

He's THE worst director in my book ...director cum actor (drum rolls)   --- u know his name

As with the case of Michael bay, well he's not that bad, but I really dislike his cartoonish oversaturated color grading in his films lately

Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Worst Mainstream Film Director Working Today   Worst Mainstream Film Director Working Today Icon_minitimeSun Sep 22, 2013 11:23 pm

EmoElmo wrote:
Worst Mainstream Film Director Working Today Url-1

I can't believe you left this clown out Laughing 

He probably made 1 or 2 decent movies (6th sense, Unbreakable)

He's THE worst director in my book ...director cum actor (drum rolls)   --- u know his name

As with the case of Michael bay, well he's not that bad, but I really dislike his cartoonish oversaturated color grading in his films lately

Gooooood one. He is pretty terrible. He always poisons the water at some point in his movies.

Unbreakable: silly ending
Village: plot twist seen from the opening credits
Happening: goofy deus ex machina
Signs: preposterous denouement
Lady in the Water: characters fit for National Lampoon's.
Airbender: Caucasian cast
After Earth: casting Jaden Smith, although this is largely Will's doing and I haven't seen the movie

Sixth Sense was done very well, although I sometimes wonder how the movie would hold up without the twist ending.
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: Worst Mainstream Film Director Working Today   Worst Mainstream Film Director Working Today Icon_minitimeSun Sep 22, 2013 11:25 pm

I didn't vote because he wasn't on the list, true story.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Worst Mainstream Film Director Working Today   Worst Mainstream Film Director Working Today Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Worst Mainstream Film Director Working Today
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next