Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Theocracy - at it again

Go down 
+18
Wurthless
MetalGuy71
Dark Horseman
Olafsto
powermacho
scottmitchell74
Sutekh
Thrasher73
stepcousin
Metallic Blaze
bassman
QuothTheRaven
Eyesore
Shawn Of Fire
metalhead777
exact33
DallasBlack
kmorg
22 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

Theocracy - at it again - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Theocracy - at it again   Theocracy - at it again - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2012 4:47 am

So they're re-releasing the debut album, with re-recorded real drums (the original had a drum machine), and someone posted that they're apprehensive. You know, the old "if it ain't broke don't fix it" thing.

Anyway, someone replied:

Quote :
It's not a change, more of an augmentation...the drums weren't real and the band matured as a whole. It's not like they're adding autotune.
To which Matt replied:

Quote :
Aw, you don't like it? Crying or Very sad
lol!

(That's a link, by the way.)

Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Theocracy - at it again   Theocracy - at it again - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2012 11:28 am

I think it should help, that first album's drum sound make me cringe.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Theocracy - at it again   Theocracy - at it again - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2012 12:06 pm

Dark Horseman wrote:
It never bothered me, really. I thought, at times, it wasn't varied enough, just speedy double-bass and snare, but overall the sound didn't bug me.

But yeah, it's a good move to re-record them. "Mountain" is still my favorite Theocracy song.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Theocracy - at it again   Theocracy - at it again - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2012 1:42 pm

Haha, Matt the jokester.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Theocracy - at it again   Theocracy - at it again - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2012 2:18 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Dark Horseman wrote:
It never bothered me, really. I thought, at times, it wasn't varied enough, just speedy double-bass and snare, but overall the sound didn't bug me.

But yeah, it's a good move to re-record them. "Mountain" is still my favorite Theocracy song.

Is he going to remove the auto-tune from his vocals as well? Razz

Metal is Forever
Wurthless

Number of posts : 5067

PostSubject: Re: Theocracy - at it again   Theocracy - at it again - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2012 4:10 pm

Theocracy is the one of only christian metal bands that I actually enjoy, so I'm looking forward to this. I've still never heard the original album though. I'm not much of a fan of programmed drums.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Theocracy - at it again   Theocracy - at it again - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2012 4:32 pm

Wurthless wrote:
Theocracy is the one of only christian metal bands that I actually enjoy, so I'm looking forward to this. I've still never heard the original album though. I'm not much of a fan of programmed drums.

Drums sound fine to me.
Back to top Go down
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

Number of posts : 5067

PostSubject: Re: Theocracy - at it again   Theocracy - at it again - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2012 4:50 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Wurthless wrote:

Drums sound fine to me.

I might have to give that album a listen then. With all this talk about programmed drums, I was expecting the worst. I'm pleasantly surprised.
Back to top Go down
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

Number of posts : 4077

PostSubject: Re: Theocracy - at it again   Theocracy - at it again - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2012 4:59 pm

The most amazing thing about listening to that song...is hearing how much they/he has improved. It's incredible really. You can hear the talent/potential, but the leap from this to Mirror of Souls and then As The World Bleeds? Amazing!
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Theocracy - at it again   Theocracy - at it again - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2012 5:36 pm

T-Roy wrote:
The most amazing thing about listening to that song...is hearing how much they/he has improved. It's incredible really. You can hear the talent/potential, but the leap from this to Mirror of Souls and then As The World Bleeds? Amazing!
Indeed. Still pretty amazing that he did that album himself. All the instruments, vocals, harmonies, the big choruses. Yeah, he wasn't the best at producing, but he's grown leaps and bounds since.
Back to top Go down
jettafiend
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

Number of posts : 1137

PostSubject: Re: Theocracy - at it again   Theocracy - at it again - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2012 6:21 pm

T-Roy wrote:

Having not heard the original debut album, I am excited to hear it. Theocracy is one of my favorite bands.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: Theocracy - at it again   Theocracy - at it again - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2012 7:47 pm

As the World Bleeds is a rockin good album. The sound has improved a lot since the debut.

DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Theocracy - at it again   Theocracy - at it again - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2012 9:04 pm

I think I shall get this (I very rarely get remastered albums when I have the origional) so I can hear the debut with a richer sound. I love the album but I think with a tighter production I would like it even more.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Theocracy - at it again   Theocracy - at it again - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2012 9:09 pm

i wonder if it will have any bonus material?

Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Theocracy - at it again   Theocracy - at it again - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2012 10:16 pm

CRIMSON GLORY had a drum machine on 3 of their albums and no one complained. It's all in how it's done.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: Theocracy - at it again   Theocracy - at it again - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2012 10:21 pm

Eyesore wrote:
T-Roy wrote:
Indeed. Still pretty amazing that he did that album himself. All the instruments, vocals, harmonies, the big choruses. Yeah, he wasn't the best at producing, but he's grown leaps and bounds since.

The vocals are quite good, but do you really think that guitar work is:

challenging
or
creative?

Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Theocracy - at it again   Theocracy - at it again - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2012 10:46 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
T-Roy wrote:
The vocals are quite good, but do you really think that guitar work is:

challenging
or
creative?
I can't answer that question because I don't care about such things. Those things are subjective, man. Challenging? For me, no doubt. For you, maybe not. Creative? Who knows. Same answers. The songs are quite good, though, and that, in my opinion, is far more important than whether or not it's creative or challenging.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Theocracy - at it again   Theocracy - at it again - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2012 10:48 pm

Challenging isn't a necessity for great music, I have plenty of albums in my collection with fairly easy guitar work, but as long as it fits the composition that's all that matters.

I'm actually more impressed with players that can keep it simple and say alot with very little.

Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: Theocracy - at it again   Theocracy - at it again - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 31, 2012 12:03 am

The point was, that he was in awe that he could do everything.

I'm saying that guitar work isn't doing a lot. It's generic. And it's easy stuff to play.

If you're amazed by that, you should hear the drum beats I can play and how I can follow along with a guitar line by playing the root note on bass guitar with a pick.

Not sure how someone can be so convinced that something is a good metal song but not sure whether the guitar work is creative.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Theocracy - at it again   Theocracy - at it again - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 31, 2012 12:27 am

Temple of Blood wrote:

Not sure how someone can be so convinced that something is a good metal song but not sure whether the guitar work is creative.

I guess it depends on how you define "creative". I love Budgie, I think the guitar is fantastic. It's also really technically easy, but stripped down, bare-bones perfection. Not a wasted note or phrase anywhere. That to me is being creative while not being challenging.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Theocracy - at it again   Theocracy - at it again - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 31, 2012 12:31 am

Temple of Blood wrote:
The point was, that he was in awe that he could do everything.

I'm saying that guitar work isn't doing a lot. It's generic. And it's easy stuff to play.

If you're amazed by that, you should hear the drum beats I can play and how I can follow along with a guitar line by playing the root note on bass guitar with a pick.

Because whether or not it's creative is entirely irrelevant. Of course, any kind of music is inherently creative. That's the nature of any art form. You get too hung up on originality and technique. None of that matters, especially considering most bands—most artists for that matter—are doing nothing new, in the grand scheme of things.

It just doesn't make sense to me to analyze things so much. I put a disc in and I ask myself two things: Do I like it? Do I not like it? Everything else is a waste of my time.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: Theocracy - at it again   Theocracy - at it again - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 31, 2012 12:39 am

S.D. wrote:
I guess it depends on how you define "creative". I love Budgie, I think the guitar is fantastic. It's also really technically easy, but stripped down, bare-bones perfection. Not a wasted note or phrase anywhere. That to me is being creative while not being challenging.

I like BUDGIE's guitar work too. It's a long way from what I heard in that song posted here.

Not sure how the myth of me only liking technical stuff got started. Sounds like a straw man to me.

technical /= interesting
simple /= catchy
Back to top Go down
Andy
Metal graduate
Metal graduate

Number of posts : 328

PostSubject: Re: Theocracy - at it again   Theocracy - at it again - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 31, 2012 10:37 am

Even as an atheist I find this band to be absolutely smashing. My Christian girlfriend also finds them an appropriate alternative to my usual playlist of Swedish death metal. Haha.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Andy618
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Theocracy - at it again   Theocracy - at it again - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 31, 2012 4:39 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
S.D. wrote:

I like BUDGIE's guitar work too. It's a long way from what I heard in that song posted here.

Not sure how the myth of me only liking technical stuff got started. Sounds like a straw man to me.

technical /= interesting
simple /= catchy

I generally judge music by whether or not I like it.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Theocracy - at it again   Theocracy - at it again - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Theocracy - at it again
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2