Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Theocracy - at it again

Go down 
+18
Wurthless
MetalGuy71
Dark Horseman
Olafsto
powermacho
scottmitchell74
Sutekh
Thrasher73
stepcousin
Metallic Blaze
bassman
QuothTheRaven
Eyesore
Shawn Of Fire
metalhead777
exact33
DallasBlack
kmorg
22 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

Theocracy - at it again Empty
PostSubject: Theocracy - at it again   Theocracy - at it again Icon_minitimeSun Aug 07, 2011 5:07 am

They sure do take their time in between releases. But here is a clip from the recording session for the upcoming album:

Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Theocracy - at it again   Theocracy - at it again Icon_minitimeSun Aug 07, 2011 6:09 am

If Matt can continue to re-create the magic from the first two albums, I'm sure I will love it. Hopefully by the time it comes out I will have the money to buy it.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: Theocracy - at it again   Theocracy - at it again Icon_minitimeSun Aug 07, 2011 11:37 am

he has a great voice! Great stuff!!

metalhead777
Metal master
Metal master
metalhead777

Number of posts : 842

PostSubject: Re: Theocracy - at it again   Theocracy - at it again Icon_minitimeSun Aug 07, 2011 11:48 am

I'v never really seen much of the interest behind Theocracy. I just down feel like they have anything that sets them apart from the crowd.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Theocracy - at it again   Theocracy - at it again Icon_minitimeSun Aug 07, 2011 11:58 am

Good singer...

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Theocracy - at it again   Theocracy - at it again Icon_minitimeSun Aug 07, 2011 1:04 pm

metalhead777 wrote:
I'v never really seen much of the interest behind Theocracy. I just down feel like they have anything that sets them apart from the crowd.
Not sure why that has to even be a requirement. Nearly every band in existence falls into this category.

Theocracy have put out two great albums. That's worth far more than standing apart from the crowd.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Theocracy - at it again   Theocracy - at it again Icon_minitimeSun Aug 07, 2011 1:53 pm

exact33 wrote:
he has a great voice!

Not only that:

Quote :
Theocracy’s 2003 self-titled debut was a one man project in that Smith handled all aspects of the recording process, including lead and choir vocals, rhythm, lead, acoustic and bass guitars, keyboards and orchestration and drum programming. Smith also engineered, produced and mixed the project.

The choir vocals were done by him singing different tracks and putting them together, but managed to make is sound like a real choir. Also the drum programming is done so well, you can hardly tell it at all. Matt is an extremely talented man.
Back to top Go down
QuothTheRaven
Metal master
Metal master
QuothTheRaven

Number of posts : 874

PostSubject: Re: Theocracy - at it again   Theocracy - at it again Icon_minitimeSun Aug 07, 2011 5:35 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
Also the drum programming is done so well, you can hardly tell it at all. Matt is an extremely talented man.

This was amazing to me. If I hadn't known beforehand the drums were programmed, I never would have been able to tell. Even knowing that, you really can't tell except for a couple of places where there are snare fills. Programming is very difficult to do well. It's easy to make it sound mechanical, but not easy to make it feel natural. Matt is definitely a talented individual. Can't wait for the new one!
Back to top Go down
bassman
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
bassman

Number of posts : 1939

PostSubject: Re: Theocracy - at it again   Theocracy - at it again Icon_minitimeSun Aug 07, 2011 9:24 pm

Love me some new Theocracy! Sounds like Matt's working hard in the studio, looking forward to hearing the new material.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: Theocracy - at it again   Theocracy - at it again Icon_minitimeSun Aug 07, 2011 9:52 pm

and i love the Christmas songs!

Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Number of posts : 6497

PostSubject: Re: Theocracy - at it again   Theocracy - at it again Icon_minitimeMon Aug 08, 2011 3:06 am

I got me the first Theocracy album aeons ago - when it first came out. But that dude waited soo long between albums that after two years ... I gave up on the band. I had already burnt myself out on the debut anyway. I hope Matt the best though. Just not really interested at this point. Go have babies now.
Back to top Go down
stepcousin
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stepcousin

Number of posts : 1268

PostSubject: Re: Theocracy - at it again   Theocracy - at it again Icon_minitimeMon Aug 08, 2011 7:18 am

big fan of Theocracy.
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Theocracy - at it again   Theocracy - at it again Icon_minitimeMon Aug 08, 2011 8:26 am

Looking forward to the new album. Mirror of Souls is one of the best power metal albums of all time.
Back to top Go down
Sutekh
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Sutekh

Number of posts : 1466

PostSubject: Re: Theocracy - at it again   Theocracy - at it again Icon_minitimeMon Aug 08, 2011 9:05 pm

Nice sample! Look forward to getting this one.
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

PostSubject: Re: Theocracy - at it again   Theocracy - at it again Icon_minitimeWed Aug 10, 2011 10:07 am

Looking forward to the new album. Mirror of Souls is one of the best power metal albums of all time.

Smile Thrasher speaks for me.
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Thrasher73

PostSubject: Re: Theocracy - at it again   Theocracy - at it again Icon_minitimeWed Aug 10, 2011 10:30 am

scottmitchell74 wrote:

Great Minds and all that Cool
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

PostSubject: Re: Theocracy - at it again   Theocracy - at it again Icon_minitimeWed Aug 10, 2011 7:21 pm

I might have to finally get "Mirror of Souls" one day. If nothing else ... for the collection.
Back to top Go down
powermacho
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
powermacho

Number of posts : 1778

PostSubject: Re: Theocracy - at it again   Theocracy - at it again Icon_minitimeWed Aug 10, 2011 7:51 pm

great band, i have to get this
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Theocracy - at it again   Theocracy - at it again Icon_minitimeWed Aug 10, 2011 10:33 pm

Metallic Blaze wrote:
I might have to finally get "Mirror of Souls" one day. If nothing else ... for the collection.

Go ahead and get it, it's great. Bethlehem, one of the best heavy metal praise and worship song ever, and the epic Mirror Of Souls are woth the price alone. Don't give up on a band just because they take a long time between albums. In the time between the first one and Mirror Of Souls, he was in the process of finding a band since he was the sole member on the first one. When you're an solo independent musician it takes time to find the right people for the band and to get the fundings to produce an album. That's why it took MoS so long to come out. And though it's been a while since MoS, it's only been three years which is only a year longer than most bands release albums (and some even take longer than that).
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Theocracy - at it again   Theocracy - at it again Icon_minitimeWed Aug 10, 2011 10:36 pm

Besides, isn't it better for a band to take time between releases and release the best album they can than to rush through albums just to be consistent?
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

PostSubject: Re: Theocracy - at it again   Theocracy - at it again Icon_minitimeWed Aug 10, 2011 10:40 pm

Oh yes, you are right Dallas! I was being a bit sarcastic I guess. I don't just give up on bands ... but that just really seemed to draaag out back when. You'd keep hearing promises ... much like "Chinese Democracy" ... and just disappointment after another. No big deal though. I guess the truth is when I listen to the debut today, it just hasn't really seemed to age well. It's a bit generic really for power metal. Not much sets it apart from the 'pack'. Save for the lyrics, which are nice and all ... but it takes more than lyrics to get this metallic head a bangin' ...
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Theocracy - at it again   Theocracy - at it again Icon_minitimeWed Aug 10, 2011 10:56 pm

I agree that the album as whole is generic (save for about half the songs) but look at this way: The debut was just one man so that alone sets it apart from the pack. There are many generic Euro-power metal bands out there and they have a full crew and some of their albums aren't as good as that one. I'm sure if there was more people involved besides just Matt, the album could have been a lot better. The choirs alone would have made that album, but they were just his voice at different levels mixed together so they were a bit lackluster.
Back to top Go down
Olafsto
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Olafsto

Number of posts : 2522

PostSubject: Re: Theocracy - at it again   Theocracy - at it again Icon_minitimeThu Aug 11, 2011 2:36 pm

scottmitchell74 wrote:

I have to listen to it more i guess, i got it and like it, but it`s nowhere near the best of all times for me...
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/olafsto
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Theocracy - at it again   Theocracy - at it again Icon_minitimeThu Aug 11, 2011 3:09 pm

Olafsto wrote:
scottmitchell74 wrote:

I have to listen to it more i guess, i got it and like it, but it`s nowhere near the best of all times for me...

Me niether, but it is good.
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Thrasher73

PostSubject: Re: Theocracy - at it again   Theocracy - at it again Icon_minitimeThu Aug 11, 2011 4:08 pm

Olafsto wrote:
scottmitchell74 wrote:

Well,Im not much of a power metal guy(in the european style) but Matts songwriting and vocals on this one really hits on all cylinders for me.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Theocracy - at it again   Theocracy - at it again Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Theocracy - at it again
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next