Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Five bands you feel are underrated and why...

Go down 
+36
Wurthless
mlotek
tohostudios
jettafiend
arachnoplasma
A Handful of Wayne
exact33
TheDoctor'sScarf
shamgar75
jstate
MetalRob331
stormspell
kmorg
Alex Dee Rokket
scottmitchell74
DallasBlack
Troublezone
allthingsmetal
Thrasher73
krokus
Gilbert
SAHB Healer
Cognitive Dissonance
Metallic Blaze
James B.
The_Jayroh
manny
MetalGuy71
GrandNational
metalhead777
mc666
Lurideath
DeathCult
Witchfinder
Fat Freddy
ultmetal
40 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

Five bands you feel are underrated and why... Empty
PostSubject: Five bands you feel are underrated and why...   Five bands you feel are underrated and why... Icon_minitimeThu Jul 28, 2011 12:17 pm

Stole this topic from another forum and in fact will kick it off with a quote from that forum. I'll list my 5 soon.

Quote :
Hi. I find as a metal community, people often talk about bands that are overrated, or too "mainstream" but what about bands, both old and new, that are underrated? I think while it is hard to prove either, this sort of situation can be a reality.Let's try and expose some great music!

So, List 5 bands(try to) that you feel deserve more attention,*include the genre if possible*, *you may include a short description why, or you may just choose to list the band* Keep in mind the idea is to spread word of bands that are either known, but not very well, or ones that are relatively new...if you list bands that are *extremely* well known then what would be the point....of course this could be up to opinion, so there is some room for bend in judgment.
I'll start(keep in mind I don't expect many to have crazy long descriptions like me, I just happened to be a bit bored on a Thursday night and got the munchies so felt like writing a bit)

1)Blasphemy-BC,Canada, genre: black metal/death/grind.~ To me Blasphemy was way ahead of their time, their style and chaotic approach, would later reflect emerging bands such as Beherit, and was a stepping stone in the sound known as "war metal". I always felt that this BC band never had as much attention as it deserved, at least not in the black metal world. They pushed beyond boundaries, and created a sound that can only be summed up as such " this band will drag you to the chaos realms, leave you to rot and die and spit on your fetid corpse" basically for this first time listener, though raw, this is one of the most desecrating bands ever.Start at Fallen Angel of Doom.

2)EvilDead-California, United States, genre: thrash metal.~ Evil Dead, summed up ...is what you would call a hidden gem in a world full of thrash bands. To say the least their music is pure adrenaline. Though the band only released a few full lengths and some ep's, they left a great mark on the thrash world around them.Their first album is probably their best, and they were certainly a big influence to me, and with songs like "Gone Shooting" and "Annihilation Of Civilization " I was surprised a few of my thrash loving buddies hadn't heard of them yet. Definitely check out the band!

3)Midnight-Ohio, United States, genre: speed/black/thrash/epic?~ How to explain Midngiht...hmnn..how to explain. Ok, take black metal, now take speed metal and thrash elements, combine the two, and inject them with steroids...the result is something that revives the sounds of the past, that can only make one nod in sheer awe inspired approval. Midnight is just a pure, dirty, fast and blasphemous black speed machine! This has the same intensity and genuine quality that one would would get out of Venom's Welcome to Hell! It's not often now a days I find a band that really revives a great basis in musical roots, and has their own great take on it......Midnight is one of the few bands that did so. Primarily focused around the vocalist Jamie Walters and some other members including Count Zigar on drums, this bands music is worth the purchase.....if you are fortunate enough to get any copy remaining!

4) Mütiilation-Grabels, Languedoc-Roussillon, France. Genre-Black Metal~ Whether or not Mütiilation’s Meyhna’ch would want people to spread the word of his art or not, I have no clue. What I do know, is that based the one album I have been fortunate enough to sit through and listen to, and a few leaked songs to youtube, this was a very respectable black metal release. His project is from France. France in the black metal world is typically known for the bands that have emerged or created music in the name of “Les Legions Noires”, with groups like Vlad Tepes, Torgeist and Belketre. The songs I heard from Mütiilation, are from the album- Grimly Reborn. The songs in his later music, vary quite differently from songs like Black Wind of War from “Hail Satanas We Are The Black Legions”....however what I detect in all the music he has created so far is a very intense sense of reality with his vocals. The production on his albums, though raw , are heavy and clear with intent. His music though bleak, disturbing and sometimes melancholic, leading some to think its “depressive black metal”, may be nothing more than a reflection of the darker recesses of mankind. Meyhna’ch is a man with his own problems in life, but his music caries forward in a true unrelenting manner. This is probably black metal at its most primal form, and yet at its most musically deep. One who listens to Mütiilation should be aware that this is music meant to be taken seriously, though raw, it is by no means music in which to indifferent to, nor is it music to not reflect upon. The first albums from his music that people should probably start with are “Hail Satanas We Are The Black Legions(EP)” and “Vampires of Black Imperial Blood”.

5)Immolation-New York, United States. Genre- Death Metal.~ Ok, for all I know maybe they are extremely well known and popular, but the more I talk to people who love death metal, or are interested in discovering bands from that genre, the less I find of people sharing Immolation songs. I guess they are basically legends and I’m sure many know of Immolation I just think more people outta discover them, so for this one I am sharing a band that really deserves that extra salute! Immolation in a nutshell, is a death metal band that from their first full length “Dawn of Possession” all the way up to their latest” Majesty and Decay”, have simply not let down or slowed down. They have been a band that has always released great death metal. Ross Dolan and Robert Vigna really bring it all together, with themes regarding the rejection of religion, concepts of horror and philosophy, this death metal band has not only created some of the best head banding riffs and brutal drum lines, but has released some of the most well thought out material. The song structures and balance of both straight forward destruction, and thought out technicality, make their sound impressive. Some of their best songs include “Father, You’re not a Father”, “Here in After” and “Dawn of Possession”, “Of Martyrs and Men” and “Majesty and Decay”.

Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Five bands you feel are underrated and why...   Five bands you feel are underrated and why... Icon_minitimeThu Jul 28, 2011 12:53 pm

Blackend (Germany) thrash metal band from the 1990's that released three albums before calling it a day. They were thrash metal when thrash metal was uncool in metal circles.

The Moshketeers (USA) an 80's thrash metal band from New Mexico, USA that got screwed by a record company and never were able to release a proper album on a label. They recorded tons of demos and a full length album that was released in 1991 titled "The Downward Spiral". FINALLY last year a record company released "The Downward Spiral" on CD. They use to draw huge crowds at their shows and toured the country opening for bands like Vengeance Rising, Testament and others.

Raven (England) one of the pioneers of speed metal and thrash. They started to gain some popularity in the early 80's but shot themselves in the foot when they signed to Atlantic Records and were forced into a more commercial direction. What is criminally underrated are all the albums they have released since then, including last years fantastic album.

Accu§er
(Kreuztal, Germany) thrash metal band. Overlooked in favor of bands like Kreator, Sodom & Destruction. All great bands in their own right, but I still think Accu§er were a great band too.

TT Quick (East Coast, USA) classic heavy metal band that were before their time musically. Their EP and "Metal of Honor" are bonafide classics. Vocalist Mark Tornillo is currently singing for Accept and proving why he is a criminally underrated metal vocalist.

A few others I considered:
Equinox (Norway), Heathens Rage (USA), The Rods (USA), Artch (Norway), At War (USA), Helstar (USA) CJSS (USA).

Last edited by ultmetal on Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:39 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Five bands you feel are underrated and why...   Five bands you feel are underrated and why... Icon_minitimeThu Jul 28, 2011 12:54 pm

Quote :
Raven (England) one of the pioneers of speed metal and thrash. They started to gain some popularity in the early 80's but shot themselves in the foot when they signed to Atlantic Records and were forced into a more commercial direction. What is criminally underrated are all the albums they have released since then, including last years fantastic album.

Quote :
TT Quick (East Coast, USA) classic heavy metal band that were before their time musically. Their EP and "Metal of Honor" are bonafide classics. Vocalist Mark Tornillo is currently singing for Accept and proving why he is a criminally underrated metal vocalist.

Total agreement on these two.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

PostSubject: Re: Five bands you feel are underrated and why...   Five bands you feel are underrated and why... Icon_minitimeThu Jul 28, 2011 12:59 pm

T.T. Quick - never really stepped up to the next level which is unfortunate because they played muscular, classic heavy metal.

Sword - Both albums are classics - glad to see they have reunited

Breaker (Ohio) - an absolute favorite of mine. Get Tough! is superb traditional metal. Check out 10 Seconds In to see how great this band was.

Riot - never really got a break but Fire Down Under is one of the greatest heavy metal albums of all time and Swords and Tequila has been ripped off by countless metal bands.

Saxon - they should have been huge but somehow never caught on like Maiden or Def Leppard. Still releasing great albums though - certainly better then both Maiden or Leppard could manage these days.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: Five bands you feel are underrated and why...   Five bands you feel are underrated and why... Icon_minitimeThu Jul 28, 2011 2:01 pm

ultmetal wrote:

The Moshketeers (USA) an 80's thrash metal band from New Mexico, USA that got screwed by a record company and never were able to release a proper album on a label. They recorded tons of demos and a full length album that was released in 1991 titled "The Downward Spiral". FINALLY last year a record company released "The Downward Spiral" on CD. They use to draw huge crowds at their shows and toured the country opening for bands like Vengeance Rising, Testament and others.

Accu§er (Kreuztal, Germany) thrash metal band. Overlooked in favor of bands like Kreator, Sodom & Destruction. All great band in their own right, but I still think Accu§er were a great band too.

Totally agree on Moshketeers and especially RAVEN. Accuser however, I think are rightfully more obscure/lower on the tier then Kreator and the like. Their albums get really boring really fast IMO.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3906

PostSubject: Re: Five bands you feel are underrated and why...   Five bands you feel are underrated and why... Icon_minitimeThu Jul 28, 2011 2:09 pm

A Tortured Soul - Great band from Wisconsin that reminds me of Judas Priest mixed with King Diamond. Very cool band. They have released 3 full lengths so far and not many know of them!

Avenger of Blood - Been a rough ride keeping this going but the music was great. This shows a lot of stuff up in the thrash world. May not have been the greatest recordings but to me its better than 90% of the thrash bands out there right now! Maybe I am just bias.

Witchburner - Thrash from Germany that has all the right elements. Overlooked quite a bit but they rule!

Desultory - Death metal from Sweden who not a lot of people seem to know. The music is bizarre sometomes, but the musicianship and songwriting they possess is unreal!

Metal Church - Sure they are known... but really got passed up back in the 80's. They've always been a great band (except 1 album) but they should have been way bigger than they are/were.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Five bands you feel are underrated and why...   Five bands you feel are underrated and why... Icon_minitimeThu Jul 28, 2011 2:17 pm

Lurideath wrote:

Metal Church - Sure they are known... but really got passed up back in the 80's. They've always been a great band (except 1 album) but they should have been way bigger than they are/were.

Agree 100%. Actually thought about them myself.

Lurideath wrote:
Avenger of Blood - Been a rough ride keeping this going but the music was great. This shows a lot of stuff up in the thrash world. May not have been the greatest recordings but to me its better than 90% of the thrash bands out there right now! Maybe I am just bias.

Heard the drummer was a wanker. Razz

I don't disagree. I think AoB was as good, and certainly better than many of the new thrash bands out. "Death Brigade" was awesome. Have it on vinyl and CD.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3906

PostSubject: Re: Five bands you feel are underrated and why...   Five bands you feel are underrated and why... Icon_minitimeThu Jul 28, 2011 2:24 pm

hahaha not quite a wanker, but a little crazy I can see. haha
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Five bands you feel are underrated and why...   Five bands you feel are underrated and why... Icon_minitimeThu Jul 28, 2011 2:34 pm

Satan's Host (US)- black/traditional/speed metal. their clean vocal material was always overshadowed by the more well known Jag Panzer. their black vocal material was always dismissed because they are from the US. these guys are so damn good it's just scarey.

Rotting Christ (Greece)- melodic black metal. admittedly so, the name has held them back a lot. those who aren't offended by it, still picture some unlistenable, satanic noise recorded in a basement somewhere in Norway. all of these descriptors being the exact opposite of what they actually evolved into.

Holy Moses (Germany)- thrash metal. Just every bit as good as their better known countrymen. not given the props they deserve because a woman fronts them & respectable "metalheads" don't seem to like women in their boys club.

Vader (Poland)- death/thrash metal. these guys have been churning out awesome sh*t since the early 90's & have been overlooked just as long. never a bad album, & never enough praise. they haven't changed their sound that much from the start, but still remaining interesting & fresh.

Devourment (US)- brutal death metal. everyone looks to Suffocation as the main pillar of brutal death metal, & rightfully so. Devourment however, took Suffocation's sound & simplified it by removing the technical aspects & pretty much ushered in the "slam" movement. proving primitive & simple doesn't have to be boring.

metalhead777
Metal master
Metal master
metalhead777

Number of posts : 842

PostSubject: Re: Five bands you feel are underrated and why...   Five bands you feel are underrated and why... Icon_minitimeThu Jul 28, 2011 3:11 pm

In no order

Sigh-while they do have a large,dedicated cult following. They slip under the radar for most metalheads out there

Chthonic-once again,slip under the radar but a large cult following

Kadenzza-out of everyone I'm going to list kadenzza is the most under rated. a single man project that puts out a talented performance on every instrument and delivers what in my opinion is the best metal performance to date.

Impellitteri-very unknown to most people while putting out great classic heavy metal

Anthelion-amazing melodic black metal from Taiwan. very obscure.
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

PostSubject: Re: Five bands you feel are underrated and why...   Five bands you feel are underrated and why... Icon_minitimeThu Jul 28, 2011 4:09 pm

Pentagram (US Doom) - Years ago when Relapse released the first Pentagram compilation, I was hooked. These guys released a couple of classic 80's albums but due to poor management and drug abuse, never got to where they should be.

Solitude Aeturnus (US Doom) - I love Robert Lowe's vocals, and this little band from Texas never gained the name recognition like Candlemass, Cathedral, etc., in the metal circles.

Sleep (US Stoner/Doom) - possibly the best of the Stoner bands from the early 90's, too much weed and bad record deals kept them from achieving their potential, but their cult status is still in tact.

Last Chapter (US Doom) - Robert Lowe was in this band and they released two excellent albums but again the style was not fashionable and they just got lost in the shuffle.

Cirith Ungol (US Heavy/Doom) - Maybe their sound was somewhere out of left field when they first released their album, but this band could have been bigger with better luck.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Five bands you feel are underrated and why...   Five bands you feel are underrated and why... Icon_minitimeThu Jul 28, 2011 4:25 pm

GrandNational wrote:

Cirith Ungol (US Heavy/Doom) - Maybe their sound was somewhere out of left field when they first released their album, but this band could have been bigger with better luck.

Good choice. Could have made my list as well.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Five bands you feel are underrated and why...   Five bands you feel are underrated and why... Icon_minitimeThu Jul 28, 2011 4:34 pm

ultmetal wrote:
GrandNational wrote:

Maybe noone could pronounce their name? Razz

Quote :

England? England? I had no idea Raven were from England. I always thought they were American.

Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Five bands you feel are underrated and why...   Five bands you feel are underrated and why... Icon_minitimeThu Jul 28, 2011 4:47 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
ultmetal wrote:
GrandNational wrote:

Maybe noone could pronounce their name? Razz

Quote :

England? England? I had no idea Raven were from England. I always thought they were American.

They were a NWOBHM band. British Heavy Metal! headbanger

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Five bands you feel are underrated and why...   Five bands you feel are underrated and why... Icon_minitimeThu Jul 28, 2011 5:26 pm

1) Raven- Kick ass band, and 'All for One' should be in every metalheads collection

2) Warrior Soul- Who's politics are so radical it makes Rage Against the Machine sound like card carrying members of the George W. Bush fanclub

3) Paul D'ianno's Battlezone- Excellent traditional metal before D'ianno lost the plot and began fronting countless Iron Maiden tribute bands

4) Black Stone Cherry- Modern Southern rock band and kind of Black Oak with talent and better tunes

5)Nazareth-They have been around since 1864 and have released a series of strong albums but still ignored by tools like Eddie Trunk
Back to top Go down
The_Jayroh
Metal master
Metal master
The_Jayroh

Number of posts : 823

PostSubject: Re: Five bands you feel are underrated and why...   Five bands you feel are underrated and why... Icon_minitimeThu Jul 28, 2011 5:48 pm

I only know a few bands I would call underrated.

Prong: This band is responsible for most of the direction of the more mainstream bands for most of the 90s and into the 00s in my opinion. I listen to them and I hear the influence loud and clear. I remember listening to The Cleansing for the first time and thinking, "Man this reminds me of Rob Zombie, but ten times more awesome." I wish I had known about Prong years ago, and I'm seriously surprised Prong never became that famous.

Six Feet Under: I bet many don't think this band is underrated, and I hope they don't stay that way. This band, to me, is great in a way that doesn't need explained. They're just awesome, but not a whole lot of people know about them. I've shown lots of people their covers of AC/DC's album and everyone gets a kick out of that. Everyone I've known in life that listen to metal know this band and love them.

Unearth: These guys are still underground despite their sound being popular not too long ago. What separates Unearth to me from any other metalcore band is that Unearth actually plays in your face, and still knows how to write a hook. They don't try too hard to be brutal either, which I very much appreciate. Every song they make throws me into the pit. Despite the last that I'm surprised haven't gotten them branded "sellouts", Unearth is a great band. I get the feeling that they'll never get any bigger than they are now, but I could be pleasantly surprised in the next few years.

Nile: Some people may not say this band is underrated, but being a death metal band and playing the quality stuff Nile plays pretty much brands your status as underrated for life in my opinion. Nile are by far the best death metal band I've ever listened to, and I would go so far as to say one of the best heavy metal bands I've known. Yes, that's obviously my opinion only, but it's true. I wish Nile would take the place of Lamb of God or something like that.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1009170115&sk=info
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: Five bands you feel are underrated and why...   Five bands you feel are underrated and why... Icon_minitimeThu Jul 28, 2011 5:59 pm

Emerald-Loads of talent in all areas. Too bad hardly anybody has ever heard the other songs that were written and never reorded....at least by them !

Icon-They had something that "musicians" got, but everyone else kinda/sorta was oblivious to it. I really dug the contrast between the debut and "Night Of The Crime". I think "Right Between The Eyes" could of been so much better. It had no balls ! The singer on that album is from the same neighborhoods that I cut my musical teeth in and he wasn't the problem.

Q5-great singer and musicians. Fun music with some attitude and excellent songs. I feel that they got caught up in being something other than musiians and lost focus.

Rouge Male-Road Warrior meets Motorhead. Whats not to like ?

Neon Cross-Ya know, they were part of something that others got more "attention" from than them. They have had all the pieces in place, but not always at the same time. When they had the two guitar thing going on, it was killer ! Great songwriting and Dave is so much more than just a dude singing way up in the higher register.

Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

PostSubject: Re: Five bands you feel are underrated and why...   Five bands you feel are underrated and why... Icon_minitimeThu Jul 28, 2011 7:17 pm

James B. wrote:

Icon-They had something that "musicians" got, but everyone else kinda/sorta was oblivious to it. I really dug the contrast between the debut and "Night Of The Crime". I think "Right Between The Eyes" could of been so much better. It had no balls ! The singer on that album is from the same neighborhoods that I cut my musical teeth in and he wasn't the problem.

Q5-great singer and musicians. Fun music with some attitude and excellent songs. I feel that they got caught up in being something other than musiians and lost focus.

Yep - both excellent. I need to spin some Q5 and Icon again. Haven't listened to either in awhile.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

PostSubject: Re: Five bands you feel are underrated and why...   Five bands you feel are underrated and why... Icon_minitimeThu Jul 28, 2011 7:18 pm

GrandNational wrote:
Pentagram (US Doom) - Years ago when Relapse released the first Pentagram compilation, I was hooked. These guys released a couple of classic 80's albums but due to poor management and drug abuse, never got to where they should be.

Solitude Aeturnus (US Doom) - I love Robert Lowe's vocals, and this little band from Texas never gained the name recognition like Candlemass, Cathedral, etc., in the metal circles.

Yes, yes and yes. All great. Hell, I even like Cirith Ungol's Paradise Lost album.
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Number of posts : 6497

PostSubject: Re: Five bands you feel are underrated and why...   Five bands you feel are underrated and why... Icon_minitimeThu Jul 28, 2011 7:21 pm

Chastain - especially their 80s and early 90s stuff. Leather Leone was a female Blackie Lawless ... the band had virtuoso guitar playing that could rival Yngwie Malmsteem, incredible drive and stamina. Some of the best traditional/classical heavy metal you could get your claws on. Yet, so few knew of them.

Metal Church (I agree up through the first 3 albums) ... they started going downhill in the 90s but ... this was truly a great American style power metal band.

Virgin Steele (sigh) ... they have a few albums that are pure gold. all their stuff is good to varying degrees, but this band was/is very overlooked IMO.

Sacrament ... if they had been in California, instead of Pennsylvania - they would have led the pack of Christian thrash bands in the late 80s/early 90s. This was the most incredible thrash band you can imagine! They mixed the sounds of Slayer and Exodus into a unique east coast blend of thrash! Most underrated thrash band ever IMO!

Manowar - I knew we've all heard of them, but sadly many people (especially in the USA) never gave them much attention. They could have been much bigger in their own country IMO. Sure they are known in Europe.

Jag Panzer - This Colorado band should/could have been much more influential than they were. Very good mix of trad metal and power metal - giving them a unique sound all their own. Slightly sounding at times like Armored Saint - they held their own and were rarely, if ever - noticed properly.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: Five bands you feel are underrated and why...   Five bands you feel are underrated and why... Icon_minitimeThu Jul 28, 2011 8:04 pm

somebody must of smoked a big fatty ^^^^^^^^^^^^

The topic is five (5) bands and they did 6 Laughing very hard

But still merits a headbanger cause all those bands are killer

Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

PostSubject: Re: Five bands you feel are underrated and why...   Five bands you feel are underrated and why... Icon_minitimeThu Jul 28, 2011 8:20 pm

James B. wrote:
somebody must of smoked a big fatty ^^^^^^^^^^^^

The topic is five (5) bands and they did 6 Five bands you feel are underrated and why... 201269

But still merits a Five bands you feel are underrated and why... 11840 cause all those bands are killer

lol!

Yeah, I thought that was 5 too.
Back to top Go down
Cognitive Dissonance
Metal student
Metal student
Cognitive Dissonance

Number of posts : 124

PostSubject: Re: Five bands you feel are underrated and why...   Five bands you feel are underrated and why... Icon_minitimeThu Jul 28, 2011 8:27 pm

1. Dr.Know- Hardcore band that turned thrash, put out an amazing album on Metal Blade/Death Records that no one has ever heard due to it's rarity."Wreckage In Flesh" was a sci-fi thrash concept record with vocals that have to be heard. Kyle Toucher's voice has been descibed as sounding like "an Insecticon from Transformers".

2.Violent Playground-Their sole album,"Thrashin' Blues" was another album that flew under the radar back in '88. A novel mixture of thrash and blues.Another album mostly unknown due to it's rarity and high price.

3.Oliver Magnum-Their self-titled debut album was AMAZING power metal of the highest order,from 1989. Blows stuff like Hittman and Dameon out of the water.

4.Armoros-Canadian Thrash. Their only album,"Pieces" was a genre classic.

5.Wrathchild America-Despite being on a major album, their debut "Climbing the Walls" was largely ignored. I think the drummer went on to play with Godsmack or something. Very talented band that never got their due.

Last edited by Cognitive Dissonance on Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

PostSubject: Re: Five bands you feel are underrated and why...   Five bands you feel are underrated and why... Icon_minitimeThu Jul 28, 2011 8:29 pm

Cognitive Dissonance wrote:
5.Wrathchild America-Despite being on a major album, their debut "Climbing the Walls" was largely ignored. I think the drummer went on to play with Godsmack or something. Very talented band never got their due.

Definitely agree there! That was another fine thrash act.
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: Five bands you feel are underrated and why...   Five bands you feel are underrated and why... Icon_minitimeFri Jul 29, 2011 12:33 am

Capricorn-(formerly Grinder) from Germany. A perfect mix of Thrash and Rock & Roll, two albums from the early 90's

Anacrusis- You guys know them of course. They were hit & miss for me, because they took risks. The Screams & Whispers album was pure genius in it's mix of Thrash and Progressive Power.

Tad Morose- especially the early stuff with the keyboards. Their unique "melodic progressive doom" is unlike anything else out there except maybe Veni Domine or Memento Mori.

Veni Domine- ditto, probably handcapped by being Christian.

Epitaph- (had to throw in an oldie!) 70's Germans and now comeback. Imagine Wishbone Ash crossed with Nektar and Uriah Heep, but heavier. Twin lead magic.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Five bands you feel are underrated and why...   Five bands you feel are underrated and why... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Five bands you feel are underrated and why...
Page 1 of 5Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next