Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Heavy Metal

Go down 
+25
kmorg
The_Jayroh
Schbopo
MetalGuy71
holydiver97595
Leatherface
Metallic Blaze
Stender
Gilbert
SAHB Healer
Wurthless
Addy
exact33
tohostudios
Fat Freddy
mc666
krokus
Thrasher73
Mglaffas81
DallasBlack
GrandNational
Witchfinder
Troublezone
Temple of Blood
ultmetal
29 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Number of posts : 6497

Heavy Metal - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heavy Metal   Heavy Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 21, 2011 2:29 am

I hate to sound generic, but in thinking about the description of heavy metal, I came across one that I whole-heartedly agree with. It was from wikipedia.

Heavy metal (often referred to simply as metal) is a genre of rock music that developed in the late 1960s and early 1970s, largely in the United Kingdom and the United States. With roots in blues rock and psychedelic rock, the bands that created heavy metal developed a thick, massive sound, characterized by highly amplified distortion, extended guitar solos, emphatic beats, and overall loudness. Heavy metal lyrics and performance styles are generally associated with masculinity and machismo.
The first heavy metal bands such as Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath and Deep Purple attracted large audiences, though they were often critically reviled, a status common throughout the history of the genre. In the mid-1970s Judas Priest helped spur the genre's evolution by discarding much of its blues influence; Motörhead introduced a punk rock sensibility and an increasing emphasis on speed. Bands in the New Wave of British Heavy Metal such as Iron Maiden followed in a similar vein. Before the end of the decade, heavy metal had attracted a worldwide following of fans known as "metalheads" or "headbangers".
In the 1980s, glam metal became a major commercial force with groups like Mötley Crüe and Poison. Underground scenes produced an array of more extreme, aggressive styles: thrash metal broke into the mainstream with bands such as Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, and Anthrax, while other styles like death metal and black metal remain subcultural phenomena. Since the mid-1990s, popular styles such as nu metal, which often incorporates elements of grunge and hip hop; and metalcore, which blends extreme metal with hardcore punk, have further expanded the definition of the genre.
Back to top Go down
Leatherface
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Leatherface

Number of posts : 19229

PostSubject: Re: Heavy Metal   Heavy Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 21, 2011 3:20 am

Troublezone wrote:
Power chords, catchy riffs, crunchy distortion, epic lead guitar, thumping bass and hard hitting drums.
I agree.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rickcaudill2
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Heavy Metal   Heavy Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 21, 2011 11:11 am

DallasBlack wrote:
}{Iron~Maiden~}{ wrote:
Ok, on another note, what crosses the line and makes something not heavy metal and just "hard rock"?

Ult can answer this one. Very Happy

No I can't. Anyone else wanna take a crack at it?

My curiosity in starting this discussion had nothing to do with past 70's hard rock/heavy metal discussions, but rather all the newer bands that are labeled heavy metal that to me are missing key ingredients to be labeled as such. It seems that currently most pop has distortion, so people will label it metal.

In your opinions, would this be considered heavy metal"

Note that I am not saying this is BAD music. It's not a criticism of the music, just wondering if you would label it heavy metal.

The Prophet of Dio
holydiver97595

Number of posts : 1348

PostSubject: Re: Heavy Metal   Heavy Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 21, 2011 3:11 pm

This is such a tough thing to say... in fact, I can't really say. When I hear metal, I know it's metal. When I hear hard rock, I know it's hard rock (or at least, my own definition of it). I don't think I could really describe well what it is that I'm looking for in metal, but I know it when I see/hear it.

Also, I usually judge which genre a band is based on singing style/lyrical themes, but then, I remember saying that a long time ago in one of these threads, and someone replied "What if Slayer wrote a song about rainbows and bunnies?", which I suppose wouldn't change their genre because of the majority of their music being... well, being SLAYER!!, but if all their music were rainbows and bunnies, I guess they would be... bunny metal.

So, yeah, I really don't have much of an answer to these questions, I just wanted to reminisce about threads long past... Heavy Metal - Page 2 692390
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/demonousmetal
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Heavy Metal   Heavy Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 21, 2011 3:17 pm

Quote :
What if Slayer wrote a song about rainbows and bunnies?

I would totally love to hear a Slayer song about rainbows and bunnies. Imagine the video possibilities. Laughing very hard

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Heavy Metal   Heavy Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 21, 2011 3:36 pm

Heavy Metal - Page 2 Killer_rabbit

Rainbows and killer bunnies.

I can't define heavy metal, but I know it when I hear it.

The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: Heavy Metal   Heavy Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 21, 2011 6:42 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:

its time for the holy handgrenade of Antioch!!!

tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Heavy Metal   Heavy Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 21, 2011 6:49 pm

exact33 wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

I know heavy metal when I hear it but only after I count to five.
Back to top Go down
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

PostSubject: Re: Heavy Metal   Heavy Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 21, 2011 7:19 pm

It's all in the "heaviness to talent ratio"

If a band has a greater heaviness measurement than that of their talent measurement, that band has achieved heavy metal
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Heavy Metal   Heavy Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 21, 2011 9:28 pm

ultmetal wrote:
DallasBlack wrote:
}{Iron~Maiden~}{ wrote:
Ok, on another note, what crosses the line and makes something not heavy metal and just "hard rock"?

Ult can answer this one. Very Happy

No I can't. Anyone else wanna take a crack at it?

My curiosity in starting this discussion had nothing to do with past 70's hard rock/heavy metal discussions, but rather all the newer bands that are labeled heavy metal that to me are missing key ingredients to be labeled as such. It seems that currently most pop has distortion, so people will label it metal.

In your opinions, would this be considered heavy metal"

Note that I am not saying this is BAD music. It's not a criticism of the music, just wondering if you would label it heavy metal.

I was just joking Wink , I know you're tired explaining how hard rock and metal are the same. If they don't get it by now, they never will.

No, that is definatly not metal. I'd call it heavy alternative. As you've said in many reviews on NLTM, distorted guitars do not metal make. From what I just read, they used to be a melodic deathcore metal band but changed their sound after losing their vocalist. The reviews I saw on Amazon had several people saying it's not the same band they knew.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
holydiver97595
The Prophet of Dio
holydiver97595

PostSubject: Re: Heavy Metal   Heavy Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 21, 2011 11:10 pm

tohostudios wrote:
exact33 wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

lol! Where's Kurt when ya need him?
Back to top Go down
The_Jayroh
Metal master
Metal master
The_Jayroh

Number of posts : 823

PostSubject: Re: Heavy Metal   Heavy Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 22, 2011 3:41 am

holydiver97595 wrote:
tohostudios wrote:
exact33 wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

Isn't it three; not five?

On subject: To me, heavy metal makes me want to get up and throw down. I feel unstoppable when I listen to metal. It's loud, crushing, melodic, and whatever the musician wants to make it. I know heavy metal as soon as the guitars go "DUMMMMMMM". When I hear it live it's like my soul itself shakes. Heavy friggin metal \m/
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1009170115&sk=info
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Heavy Metal   Heavy Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 22, 2011 8:17 am

heavy metal is what I decide it is.

kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Heavy Metal   Heavy Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 22, 2011 9:58 am

holydiver97595 wrote:
tohostudios wrote:
exact33 wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

Right here?

Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

PostSubject: Re: Heavy Metal   Heavy Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 22, 2011 2:03 pm

Heavy metal has really branched out and evolved over the years.

Kind of like many of us on the boards ... our tastes have expanded. Well, to me metal kinda did the same thing.

I think a lot of stuff out there nowadays is really metal, even though it might have a more pop foundation.

I mean ... the glam metal of the 80s married metal with pop music of it's day - and not many had trouble labelling it metal.

I know true metal will always be that 'Judas Priest type' sound. But metal is like a living organism. It has to evolve and grow and become something new all the time.

I personally do consider stuff like metalcore and even nu metal ... to be true forms or genres of metal itself.

Just me and my two bit humble opinion though. So take that for what it's worth.

Smile
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Heavy Metal   Heavy Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 22, 2011 2:21 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
I was originally gonna say "the sound of overgrown adolescents destroying their instruments in a fiery testosterone fueled cataclysm," but decided that sounded too negative.

After thinking it over, I've decided to go with this description after all. Very Happy

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

PostSubject: Re: Heavy Metal   Heavy Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 22, 2011 2:29 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
I was originally gonna say "the sound of overgrown adolescents destroying their instruments in a fiery testosterone fueled cataclysm," but decided that sounded too negative.

After thinking it over, I've decided to go with this description after all. Very Happy

sounds about right to me!

Heavy Metal - Page 2 778825
Back to top Go down
holydiver97595
The Prophet of Dio
holydiver97595

PostSubject: Re: Heavy Metal   Heavy Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 22, 2011 5:02 pm

kmorg wrote:
holydiver97595 wrote:
tohostudios wrote:
exact33 wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

Right here?
I was hoping for another quote! Monty Python
Back to top Go down
The_Jayroh
Metal master
Metal master
The_Jayroh

Number of posts : 823

PostSubject: Re: Heavy Metal   Heavy Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 22, 2011 11:37 pm

Metallic Blaze wrote:

Kind of like many of us on the boards ... our tastes have expanded. Well, to me metal kinda did the same thing.

I think a lot of stuff out there nowadays is really metal, even though it might have a more pop foundation.

I mean ... the glam metal of the 80s married metal with pop music of it's day - and not many had trouble labelling it metal.

I know true metal will always be that 'Judas Priest type' sound. But metal is like a living organism. It has to evolve and grow and become something new all the time.

I personally do consider stuff like metalcore and even nu metal ... to be true forms or genres of metal itself.

Smile

Consideriong nu-metal to actually be metal is pretty dangerous man. You sure about that?

I don't care if people shun it for only being heavy because they down-tune their guitars. It's the bands that made it low quality IMO. There is lots of potential for anyone to be good, but the bands to me also sound like they are trying too hard to be angry. It's like they want to be awesome, but they just don't know how.....
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1009170115&sk=info
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Heavy Metal   Heavy Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 23, 2011 1:30 am

The_Jayroh wrote:

Consideriong nu-metal to actually be metal is pretty dangerous man.
dangerous? you mean it might cause some crybaby metalhead to throw a tantrum online? that's more silly than it is dangerous.

holydiver97595
The Prophet of Dio
holydiver97595

PostSubject: Re: Heavy Metal   Heavy Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 23, 2011 2:07 am

The_Jayroh wrote:
Metallic Blaze wrote:

Smile

Consideriong nu-metal to actually be metal is pretty dangerous man. You sure about that?

I don't care if people shun it for only being heavy because they down-tune their guitars. It's the bands that made it low quality IMO. There is lots of potential for anyone to be good, but the bands to me also sound like they are trying too hard to be angry. It's like they want to be awesome, but they just don't know how.....

It may not be good, we may not like it, and it may just perpetuate a stereotype, but like it or not, nu-metal, metalcore, the NWOAHM, and all the jazz are branches on the metal tree. They may be the diseased ones that should be pruned off before it spreads to the rest of the tree, but they're still on there.
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

PostSubject: Re: Heavy Metal   Heavy Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 23, 2011 5:21 am

holydiver97595 wrote:
It may not be good, we may not like it, and it may just perpetuate a stereotype, but like it or not, nu-metal, metalcore, the NWOAHM, and all the jazz are branches on the metal tree. They may be the diseased ones that should be pruned off before it spreads to the rest of the tree, but they're still on there.

I agree, they are true branches on the tree of metal. I personally dislike most of the bands in these genres, but to say they are not from the metal tree is just denial of a fact IMHO.

There are a few exceptions too ... I like a few bands in these categories.
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

PostSubject: Re: Heavy Metal   Heavy Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 23, 2011 5:22 am

mc666 wrote:
The_Jayroh wrote:

Consideriong nu-metal to actually be metal is pretty dangerous man.
dangerous? you mean it might cause some crybaby metalhead to throw a tantrum online? that's more silly than it is dangerous.

lol!
Back to top Go down
holydiver97595
The Prophet of Dio
holydiver97595

PostSubject: Re: Heavy Metal   Heavy Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 23, 2011 12:26 pm

Metallic Blaze wrote:
holydiver97595 wrote:

I agree, they are true branches on the tree of metal. I personally dislike most of the bands in these genres, but to say they are not from the metal tree is just denial of a fact IMHO.

There are a few exceptions too ... I like a few bands in these categories.

True enough; I can honestly say I like some Nu-Metal bands; some of 'em aren't half bad. Same goes with metalcore (especially classic metalcore, where it's literally metal + hardcore punk) and all of the -core varieties. NWOAHM, however, I really just hate pretty much everything I've heard of that genre, not because it's part of that genre, I just don't like the bands' sounds.

See, now if I said this anywhere near the Metal-Archives forums, I'd be banned in a second Razz
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Heavy Metal   Heavy Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 23, 2011 2:22 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

says the man with Fur as his avatar!!!

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Heavy Metal   Heavy Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Heavy Metal
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next