Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

10 Brands That Will Disappear In 2012

Go down 
+10
DallasBlack
Nico
MetalGuy71
Troublezone
The_Jayroh
mc666
Eyesore
Fat Freddy
exact33
GrandNational
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

10 Brands That Will Disappear In 2012 Empty
PostSubject: 10 Brands That Will Disappear In 2012   10 Brands That Will Disappear In 2012 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 23, 2011 5:40 pm

MySpace is listed as a brand that will disappear by next year (not surprised). I haven't used it myself since 2008 when I closed my account, but some interesting names there too (Sony Pictures, Sony Ericsson, Sears, Saab). 24/7 Wall St. puts this report out every year and for the most part they've been right on the money.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/06/22/brands-disappear-dyingus-2012_n_881911.html#s296069&title=10_Nokia
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: 10 Brands That Will Disappear In 2012   10 Brands That Will Disappear In 2012 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 23, 2011 9:08 pm

wow. That is quite a list.

Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37658

PostSubject: Re: 10 Brands That Will Disappear In 2012   10 Brands That Will Disappear In 2012 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 23, 2011 9:25 pm

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!
NOT KELLOGG'S CORN POPS!!! I LOVE THOSE DAMN THINGS!!

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

PostSubject: Re: 10 Brands That Will Disappear In 2012   10 Brands That Will Disappear In 2012 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 23, 2011 10:45 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:

You know FF, that's what I thought too Razz Of all the things to disappear, not the Corn Pops! Hope they still continue to make A&W root beer though, I like that.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: 10 Brands That Will Disappear In 2012   10 Brands That Will Disappear In 2012 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 24, 2011 12:08 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
lol!

I said the same thing. Haha. This is absurd! That's a damn good cereal.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: 10 Brands That Will Disappear In 2012   10 Brands That Will Disappear In 2012 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 24, 2011 1:50 am

Sears? really? couldn't they just unload Kmart & go back to the way they were before? seems simple enough.

The_Jayroh
Metal master
Metal master
The_Jayroh

Number of posts : 823

PostSubject: Re: 10 Brands That Will Disappear In 2012   10 Brands That Will Disappear In 2012 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 24, 2011 3:20 am

Fat Freddy wrote:

WHAT????!!!??? TIME TO GO STOCK UP BOYS!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1009170115&sk=info
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

PostSubject: Re: 10 Brands That Will Disappear In 2012   10 Brands That Will Disappear In 2012 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 24, 2011 9:13 am

mc666 wrote:
Sears? really? couldn't they just unload Kmart & go back to the way they were before? seems simple enough.

That's what I was thinking... Screw Kmart! Sears is a much older and respected american store.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: 10 Brands That Will Disappear In 2012   10 Brands That Will Disappear In 2012 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 24, 2011 9:16 am

Sears should never have merged with Kmart. My brother was working for Sears while that deal was being worked out, fortunately he bailed before it went through. Shortly afterwards most of the people he worked with were either busted down to part-time status (no benefits) or let go entirely.

Coincidentally, I worked for Kmart while I was in college (late 80s/early 90s) and quite frankly that whole damn organization could disappear into a black hole tomorrow and I wouldn't lose any sleep. Worst two and a half years of my life. During the time I worked there, I gained 20 pounds, developed a drinking problem, and my hatred for humanity in general multiplied about a thousand percent.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat

Last edited by Fat Freddy on Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: 10 Brands That Will Disappear In 2012   10 Brands That Will Disappear In 2012 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 24, 2011 9:17 am

Quote :
Hope they still continue to make A&W root beer though, I like that.

It says they're closing the restaurants. The actual soda will still be made.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: 10 Brands That Will Disappear In 2012   10 Brands That Will Disappear In 2012 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 24, 2011 9:30 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
Sears should never have merged with Kmart. My brother was working for Sears while that deal was being worked out, fortunately he bailed before it went through. Shortly afterwards most of the people he worked with were either busted down to part-time status (no benefits) or let go entirely.

Coincidentally, I worked for Kmart while I was in college (late 80s/early 90s) and quite frankly that whole damn organization could disappear into a black hole tomorrow and I wouldn't lose any sleep. Worst two and a half years of my life. During the time I worked there, I gained 20 pounds, developed a drinking problem, and my hatred for humanity in general multiplied about a thousand percent.

I worked for Sears for a short time after the merger with Kmart. Everything is part-time status as you mentioned... In the hiring process they tell everyone some story about the person (or people) from the Kmart corporation that supposedly saved Sears from bankruptcy... Looks like they didn't do such a great job.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: 10 Brands That Will Disappear In 2012   10 Brands That Will Disappear In 2012 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 24, 2011 9:34 am

Yeah, Sears was on the brink of goin' under when that merger happened. I think they had just come out of bankruptcy protection when the deal went thru. At the time the news made it sound like Sears had out-and-out bought Kmart, which my brother and I both thought was odd, cuz from what we knew, Sears wasn't in good enough financial shape to buy much of anything at that point.

Kmart had also just come out of a bad patch where they tried to go head-to-head with Walmart in a pricing war and got their asses whooped, so they'd closed a whole bunch of stores.

Kmart should've been happy with being #2, but no, they had to go and pull Walmart's tail.

Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: 10 Brands That Will Disappear In 2012   10 Brands That Will Disappear In 2012 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 24, 2011 9:40 am

Quote :

Kmart is detrimental to your health.

There was always a weird stigma about going to Kmart as a kid. You didn't want to be caught dead there. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: 10 Brands That Will Disappear In 2012   10 Brands That Will Disappear In 2012 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 24, 2011 9:43 am

Quote :
Kmart should've been happy with being #2, but no, they had to go and pull Walmart's tail.

I always thought Target was considered #2...
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: 10 Brands That Will Disappear In 2012   10 Brands That Will Disappear In 2012 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 24, 2011 9:54 am

Troublezone wrote:
Quote :

At the time, Walmart was #1, Kmart was #2, and Target was still a regional chain on the rise. Their growth didn't really start will the Walmart/Kmart pissing match was over with.

Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: 10 Brands That Will Disappear In 2012   10 Brands That Will Disappear In 2012 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 24, 2011 10:15 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
Quote :

At the time, Walmart was #1, Kmart was #2, and Target was still a regional chain on the rise. Their growth didn't really start will the Walmart/Kmart pissing match was over with.

I didn't even know Walmart existed until the 90's... I heard they were big in the mid-west and on the east coast though.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: 10 Brands That Will Disappear In 2012   10 Brands That Will Disappear In 2012 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 24, 2011 10:24 am

Troublezone wrote:

I didn't even know Walmart existed until the 90's... I heard they were big in the mid-west and on the east coast though.

Walmart didn't make it into my area till the mid 90s, but while I worked at Kmart in the late '80s/early 90s, their management lived in fear of them coming. Every once in a while there'd be a rumor that Walmart was looking at a site a few towns over and they'd be like "Oh my God, Walmart's coming! We're doomed! The sky is falling!" -- I'd never even set foot in a Walmart at the time, so I thought it was pretty funny. I remember thinking "Damn, if Walmart is that powerful, maybe I should be working for them." Very Happy

Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: 10 Brands That Will Disappear In 2012   10 Brands That Will Disappear In 2012 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 24, 2011 10:32 am

Same here. Walmarts didn't get to my area to the very late 90's, if not longer.

I'm kinda surprised to hear about Sears. I had no idea they were in financial trouble.

Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: 10 Brands That Will Disappear In 2012   10 Brands That Will Disappear In 2012 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 24, 2011 10:49 am

Yeah, I never even heard of Walmart until the late 90's or 2000. I only knew of Kmart and Target... that's about it.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: 10 Brands That Will Disappear In 2012   10 Brands That Will Disappear In 2012 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 24, 2011 10:51 am

Troublezone wrote:

There was always a weird stigma about going to Kmart as a kid. You didn't want to be caught dead there. Laughing

Trust me, you wouldn't want to be caught dead working there either. Very Happy

Back to top Go down
Nico
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Nico

Number of posts : 444

PostSubject: Re: 10 Brands That Will Disappear In 2012   10 Brands That Will Disappear In 2012 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 24, 2011 5:51 pm

Troublezone wrote:
Kmart is detrimental to your health.

Yeah, Kmart is definitely a lot "sketchier", as my sister would say, than Wal-Mart which is really saying something. Very Happy Target always looks so much cleaner. I've also heard that Kmart tends to treat their employees a lot worse than Wal-Mart, which again is really saying something. I have a friend who works at Wal-Mart and he absolutely hates it. I really hope he finds a better job one of these days.

I like Corn Pops as well, I don't know why they would get taken off the market but then again I haven't had them in a while and I certainly don't keep up with the company's happenings or anything.

MySpace is not surprising at all, I remember several years ago it was enormously popular, it was really the cool thing to do I guess you could say. Facebook has definitely taken it out of the spotlight in the last few years, though. For a while, it seemed like any time I was meeting somebody new, they'd immediately ask for my Facebook page instead of my cell phone number and get surprised when I told them I didn't have one. I actually just got one earlier this month though.

This was my little sister's reaction:
"whaaaatttttt!?!? your on fb now!!!! lol you've conformed..." Laughing very hard

Do you really think Facebook is that much safer than Myspace though?
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: 10 Brands That Will Disappear In 2012   10 Brands That Will Disappear In 2012 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 24, 2011 7:02 pm

nope. I think facebook is a identity thief's wet dream!

Nico
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Nico

Number of posts : 444

PostSubject: Re: 10 Brands That Will Disappear In 2012   10 Brands That Will Disappear In 2012 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 24, 2011 8:08 pm

Didn't it originally get more popular than MySpace because it was safer, though? I have my profile set up so that only my friends and their friends can view my profile, though. Cool
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: 10 Brands That Will Disappear In 2012   10 Brands That Will Disappear In 2012 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 24, 2011 8:17 pm

Quote :
Target always looks so much cleaner.

That's why I prefer to go there... And there's a lot less people usually.
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

PostSubject: Re: 10 Brands That Will Disappear In 2012   10 Brands That Will Disappear In 2012 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 24, 2011 9:02 pm

Nico wrote:
Didn't it originally get more popular than MySpace because it was safer, though? I have my profile set up so that only my friends and their friends can view my profile, though. Cool

When FB first started, it was only for people who had a valid college e-mail address, as it was originality designed for college students to interact together. Once they got rid of this policy, I think the popularity has more to do with less spam and clutter of MySpace and people as a whole being able to share messages, videos, setting up interest groups, etc., as a community, which is what it should be. At least that's what I think.

MySpace has been dead to me since 2008 and I could care less for it. It should just stay for the sake of the music/bands, at least that's what I used it for before it got too messy. I think FB will probably go the same route if they continue putting these stupid games and polls, etc. I don't see myself using FB in the near future anyway. And I don't think any "social" networking site is really much safer than the next if someone really wants to get at your info. Just my 2 cents.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 10 Brands That Will Disappear In 2012   10 Brands That Will Disappear In 2012 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

10 Brands That Will Disappear In 2012
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next