Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Gene Hoglan on TESTAMENT

Go down 
+24
Smindas
adrian
SlaytanicPOWER
shamgar75
Eyesore
manny
Witchfinder
sheets
DallasBlack
Gilbert
Coram Deo
Leatherface
Troublezone
SpectreFate
WhenTheWildWindBlows
MetalGuy71
ultmetal
Required Fields
metalhead777
mc666
Thrasher73
Fat Freddy
Temple of Blood
28 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

Gene Hoglan on TESTAMENT - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gene Hoglan on TESTAMENT   Gene Hoglan on TESTAMENT - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 13, 2011 4:50 pm

Troublezone wrote:
Chuck, Eric, Greg and Alex are top notch musicians. Some of the best imo!

Agreed, they're great metal musicians. I'm talking about some of their songs, lyrics, riffs. Especially after the first two albums (and to me, including much of the 2nd album).
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: Gene Hoglan on TESTAMENT   Gene Hoglan on TESTAMENT - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 13, 2011 4:52 pm

Troublezone wrote:
Also that particular album Gene played on was very "basic" musically. It was almost a waste to hire someone of Gene's talent to play such basic drum tracks...

Agreed. I was shocked by how vanilla his performance on TENET's album was. What a wasted opportunity!

Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: Gene Hoglan on TESTAMENT   Gene Hoglan on TESTAMENT - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 13, 2011 4:58 pm

manny wrote:
I thought they had their own sound.

To a degree.

Quote :
As far as Testament being four good looking guys? Are you f**king kidding me!!!!!!!

Agreed.

Quote :
Alex is way better guitarist then the dude in Fear Factory,

Understatement of the year!

Quote :
I like Possessed but their nick name was baby Slayer for Christ sakes

I thought that was what Hanneman called SEPULTURA.

Quote :
I like Possessed but deadliest band on the planet, I have to ask, are you f**king kidding me!!!!!!!!!!!

In 1985 it was probably true.

Quote :

Testament commerical, yes maybe they were on this guy's planet:

It's all relative. They are commercial compared to POSSESSED or DARK ANGEL.
Back to top Go down
metalhead777
Metal master
Metal master
metalhead777

Number of posts : 842

PostSubject: Re: Gene Hoglan on TESTAMENT   Gene Hoglan on TESTAMENT - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 13, 2011 6:07 pm

actually,now that I think of it the only real band I find better than testament he's been in is SYL, fear factory just seems bad,dont know how to put it,just bad. I enjoy a fair bit of dethklok but the other bands.... Sleep
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Gene Hoglan on TESTAMENT   Gene Hoglan on TESTAMENT - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 13, 2011 8:32 pm

The first two Fear Factory albums are awesome platters of industrial death metal, after that, they drop greatly in quality.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Gene Hoglan on TESTAMENT   Gene Hoglan on TESTAMENT - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 13, 2011 9:26 pm

If Testament came out first, he'd be calling Slayer and Metallica the same thing.
Back to top Go down
shamgar75
Metal master
Metal master
shamgar75

Number of posts : 683

PostSubject: Re: Gene Hoglan on TESTAMENT   Gene Hoglan on TESTAMENT - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 13, 2011 9:57 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
The first two Fear Factory albums are awesome platters of industrial death metal, after that, they drop greatly in quality.

Agreed. Those two albums rock hard - and they are my favorite FF albums. I do like Archetype though as my 3rd favorite.
Back to top Go down
SlaytanicPOWER
Metal master
Metal master
SlaytanicPOWER

Number of posts : 679

PostSubject: Re: Gene Hoglan on TESTAMENT   Gene Hoglan on TESTAMENT - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 14, 2011 3:48 pm

I can see where his opinion is coming from, working with Slayer and Possessed, being drummer for DARK ANGEL (which can be considered more fast and balls to the wall than Slayer OR Possessed.)
Back to top Go down
adrian
Metal master
Metal master
adrian

Number of posts : 994

PostSubject: Re: Gene Hoglan on TESTAMENT   Gene Hoglan on TESTAMENT - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 20, 2011 9:59 pm

So I guess Testament must pay really well... Guess who's back on drums for the new album?!
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Gene Hoglan on TESTAMENT   Gene Hoglan on TESTAMENT - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 20, 2011 10:07 pm

adrian wrote:
So I guess Testament must pay really well... Guess who's back on drums for the new album?!
Haha. What a turd!
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

PostSubject: Re: Gene Hoglan on TESTAMENT   Gene Hoglan on TESTAMENT - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 21, 2011 5:39 am

Hahahaha. Oh dear.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40560

PostSubject: Re: Gene Hoglan on TESTAMENT   Gene Hoglan on TESTAMENT - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 21, 2011 6:21 am

Hahahaha ! That's funny !
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Gene Hoglan on TESTAMENT   Gene Hoglan on TESTAMENT - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 21, 2011 8:40 am

adrian wrote:

Yep,Money Talks!
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Gene Hoglan on TESTAMENT   Gene Hoglan on TESTAMENT - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 21, 2011 9:26 am

I guess they hold no hard feelings regarding Gene's opinions. He's the premier session drummer in metal, so it's no surprise they gave him a call...
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Gene Hoglan on TESTAMENT   Gene Hoglan on TESTAMENT - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 21, 2011 9:59 am

Eyesore wrote:
If Testament came out first, he'd be calling Slayer and Metallica the same thing.

I don't think so...Testament is obviously a little more "slick" than Slayer & Metallica when comparing the early albums...sounds like he doesn't like "slick" too much.

As for him taking Testament's money, I see no issue. He did not say Testament sucked or he hated it or the guys were @$$h0le$...he just said he did it for the money. I've done music just for the money...it's no big deal. Gene doesn't have his own well-paying, full-time band...he's a journeyman drummer...nothing wrong with that.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Gene Hoglan on TESTAMENT   Gene Hoglan on TESTAMENT - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 21, 2011 10:11 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
...he's a journeyman drummer...nothing wrong with that.

And an awesome drummer at that. headbanger

Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: Gene Hoglan on TESTAMENT   Gene Hoglan on TESTAMENT - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 21, 2011 12:14 pm

Ah! I was trying to find this the other day. I could have sworn I just read that not too long ago about Gene not knowing Testament and only doing it for the money. I was surprised to see his name when they announced he will be doing the drums.

I used to think he was one of the top metal drummers but as of late I think he has slipped a lot. He didn't do anything that blew me away with Fear Factory, Zimmers Hole he didn't do anything either, Tenet same.

They should have let Dave Lombardo come back to do it. He was great on the Gathering and I think plays more like Paul Postaphs (spelling?) style

PostSubject: Re: Gene Hoglan on TESTAMENT   Gene Hoglan on TESTAMENT - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 21, 2011 12:55 pm

Testament was a good band, I like their first couple records, but by the time Practice came out it just sounded like they were recycling their own ideas and the compositions kept getting more generic and boring.

I listened to "Souls of Black" once and decided my attention would be better suited elsewhere.

I have no problem with Gene doing the gig for money, everyone has to make a living.

Back to top Go down
SlaytanicPOWER
Metal master
Metal master
SlaytanicPOWER

Number of posts : 679

PostSubject: Re: Gene Hoglan on TESTAMENT   Gene Hoglan on TESTAMENT - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 21, 2011 2:14 pm

Shawn D. wrote:
Testament was a good band, I like their first couple records, but by the time Practice came out it just sounded like they were recycling their own ideas and the compositions kept getting more generic and boring.

I listened to "Souls of Black" once and decided my attention would be better suited elsewhere.

I have no problem with Gene doing the gig for money, everyone has to make a living.

This pretty much, although I thought The Ritual while slower, was very heavy and had awesome hooks and melody to complement it.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Gene Hoglan on TESTAMENT   Gene Hoglan on TESTAMENT - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 21, 2011 2:20 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

I don't think so...Testament is obviously a little more "slick" than Slayer & Metallica when comparing the early albums...sounds like he doesn't like "slick" too much.
Right, but money bough better production in 1987 than it did in 1981. If Testament had come out then, they'd have had that same raw sound. And I think if Metallica and Slayer came out in the late 80s, they'd have had a more polished sound.

I mean, if in 1987 The Legacy was considered corporate thrash because it was slick, isn't South of Heaven and ...And Justice for All in that same boat? Both are very slick-sounding albums.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Gene Hoglan on TESTAMENT   Gene Hoglan on TESTAMENT - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 21, 2011 2:22 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

Right, but money bough better production in 1987 than it did in 1981. If Testament had come out then, they'd have had that same raw sound. And I think if Metallica and Slayer came out in the late 80s, they'd have had a more polished sound.

I mean, if in 1987 The Legacy was considered corporate thrash because it was slick, isn't South of Heaven and ...And Justice for All in that same boat? Both are very slick-sounding albums.

OK WHATEVER MAN DAMN!!! Razz
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

PostSubject: Re: Gene Hoglan on TESTAMENT   Gene Hoglan on TESTAMENT - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 21, 2011 2:22 pm

Going back a couple of posts - I seem to say this a lot on this forum, but if you gave up with Testament after their first few records, you owe it to yourself to at least check out The Gathering. Quite different, monstrously heavy and quite a bit more creative than the rut the band fell in to around Souls of Black.

PostSubject: Re: Gene Hoglan on TESTAMENT   Gene Hoglan on TESTAMENT - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 21, 2011 2:26 pm

Smindas wrote:
Going back a couple of posts - I seem to say this a lot on this forum, but if you gave up with Testament after their first few records, you owe it to yourself to at least check out The Gathering. Quite different, monstrously heavy and quite a bit more creative than the rut the band fell in to around Souls of Black.

I do like that album, primarily because it doesn't sound like old Testament. Plus I'm a Lombardo fan, so it was a must purchase.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Gene Hoglan on TESTAMENT   Gene Hoglan on TESTAMENT - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 21, 2011 2:31 pm

Eyesore wrote:

I don't think the "year" has anything to do with production quality.

Metallica, Slayer, Anthrax...all these guys did their first albums in cheap little studios with very little time or money to spend. Testament did their debut for a major label.

a cheap studio is a cheap studio, in '81, '91 or now. It's all about the microphones, the quality of the mixing equipment and the ears of the engineer. Did the vocal mic cost $3000 or $300? Guess which one sounds better.

Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Gene Hoglan on TESTAMENT   Gene Hoglan on TESTAMENT - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 21, 2011 8:22 pm

SlaytanicPOWER wrote:
Shawn D. wrote:

This pretty much, although I thought The Ritual while slower, was very heavy and had awesome hooks and melody to complement it.

Such a criminally underrated Testament album. The guitar solo to Return To Serenity has to be one of the best solos in metal history.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gene Hoglan on TESTAMENT   Gene Hoglan on TESTAMENT - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Gene Hoglan on TESTAMENT
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next