Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Gene Hoglan on TESTAMENT

Go down 
+24
Smindas
adrian
SlaytanicPOWER
shamgar75
Eyesore
manny
Witchfinder
sheets
DallasBlack
Gilbert
Coram Deo
Leatherface
Troublezone
SpectreFate
WhenTheWildWindBlows
MetalGuy71
ultmetal
Required Fields
metalhead777
mc666
Thrasher73
Fat Freddy
Temple of Blood
28 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

Gene Hoglan on TESTAMENT Empty
PostSubject: Gene Hoglan on TESTAMENT   Gene Hoglan on TESTAMENT Icon_minitimeThu May 12, 2011 12:03 pm

I had heard he felt this way, but I found the quote:

"Ok, so take us thru your career with some of the bands you’ve played with.

Gene: well, you already know that I used to roadie for Slayer and physically hold Dave (Lombardo’s) double bass drums in place while he was drumming! But Testament was extra cash. I wasn’t even familiar with their music and to me it was corporate thrash. Legacy was underground but Testament was five good-looking dudes playing safe metal and that’s not what I’m into. I like bands like Possessed who for a while were the deadliest band on the planet."

I know he also didn't really like DEATH's music too much before he joined the band.

A lot of TESTAMENT's music is "safe" and derivative of METALLICA and SLAYER. I'm a big fan but there is some truth here. A lot of their popular albums have a lot of mediocre lyrics, riffs, drumming, etc. on them.

Agree/disagree?
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Gene Hoglan on TESTAMENT   Gene Hoglan on TESTAMENT Icon_minitimeThu May 12, 2011 12:11 pm

Ouch, Gene!

I can sort of agree with what he's saying though. The first couple of Testaments were great, but they started to slide (or sound "safe") circa PRACTICE WHAT YOU PREACH (though I still dig that record) and they were phoning it in on most of SOULS OF BLACK. They stopped the skid with the LOW record, but after that they were sorta flailing around for a few albums, throwing stuff at the walls to see what would stick (i.e. DEMONIC, THE GATHERING, etc.).

I have an issue of Metal Maniacs with a hilarious Testament article in it from the time Hoglan was still involved with'em. The writer sez he was out at a restaurant with the band, in the middle of doing the interview, when Gene Hoglan picked that exact moment to tell Chuck and Greg that he couldn't tour with Testament because he'd just accepted an offer from Strapping Young Lad. Haha. Awkward!!

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Gene Hoglan on TESTAMENT   Gene Hoglan on TESTAMENT Icon_minitimeThu May 12, 2011 12:18 pm

Five Good Looking Dudes? Um no I dont think so,Haha.Anyway,I can see what he means to a point but I still dig alot of their stuff.
Hoglan usually looks bored playing almost anything IMO anyway.Hes such a great drummer and seems like a good guy.I can see where he would consider Testament mediocre.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Gene Hoglan on TESTAMENT   Gene Hoglan on TESTAMENT Icon_minitimeThu May 12, 2011 12:19 pm

On a totally unrelated note, I saw Gene play w/Dark Angel back in the day. That boy was HUGE. At the end of their set the band came to the front of the stage to take a bow and Gene motioned like he was going to do a stage dive, the floor in front of him cleared out immediately. Laughing very hard

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: Gene Hoglan on TESTAMENT   Gene Hoglan on TESTAMENT Icon_minitimeThu May 12, 2011 12:22 pm

Gene is one of my absolute favorite metal musicians and I had the honor to meet him and ask him all of my fanboy questions at the Milwaukee Metalfest one year as NUCLEAR ASSAULT were playing. Super nice guy. And super huge.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Gene Hoglan on TESTAMENT   Gene Hoglan on TESTAMENT Icon_minitimeThu May 12, 2011 12:36 pm

meh, he's entitled to his opinion about them. i never really saw Dethklok, Strapping Young Lad, or Fear Factory as particularly deadly either, not that it matters.

metalhead777
Metal master
Metal master
metalhead777

Number of posts : 842

PostSubject: Re: Gene Hoglan on TESTAMENT   Gene Hoglan on TESTAMENT Icon_minitimeThu May 12, 2011 3:43 pm

im on the fence. I think Testament is sort of a "safe" version of these bands. but also better. I never really liked metallica or slayer.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

PostSubject: Re: Gene Hoglan on TESTAMENT   Gene Hoglan on TESTAMENT Icon_minitimeThu May 12, 2011 3:53 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
On a totally unrelated note, I saw Gene play w/Dark Angel back in the day. That boy was HUGE. At the end of their set the band came to the front of the stage to take a bow and Gene motioned like he was going to do a stage dive, the floor in front of him cleared out immediately. Laughing very hard

lol!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Gene Hoglan on TESTAMENT   Gene Hoglan on TESTAMENT Icon_minitimeThu May 12, 2011 4:04 pm

He's entitled to his opinion. I personally like Testament better than many of the other bands he was in, and certainly better than Possessed. I'm not sure what is "safe" about it. It's not like they were playing 80's pop or glam metal.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Gene Hoglan on TESTAMENT   Gene Hoglan on TESTAMENT Icon_minitimeThu May 12, 2011 4:15 pm

ultmetal wrote:
He's entitled to his opinion. I personally like Testament better than many of the other bands he was in, and certainly better than Possessed. I'm not sure what is "safe" about it. It's not like they were playing 80's pop or glam metal.

That sums it up nicely for me too, although Gene seemingly had no problem taking the gig for "extra cash".

So who ya gonna believe? Testament, the pretty boy, corporate metal sellouts or someone that does a job for anyone if the money's right? Don't they have a name for that?

Metal novice
Metal novice
WhenTheWildWindBlows

Number of posts : 24

PostSubject: Re: Gene Hoglan on TESTAMENT   Gene Hoglan on TESTAMENT Icon_minitimeThu May 12, 2011 4:24 pm

All this Testament bashing is getting really old. Hey Gene get your lard ass on The Biggest Loser you fat mofo.
Back to top Go down
SpectreFate
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
SpectreFate

Number of posts : 1635

PostSubject: Re: Gene Hoglan on TESTAMENT   Gene Hoglan on TESTAMENT Icon_minitimeThu May 12, 2011 5:02 pm

WhenTheWildWindBlows wrote:
All this Testament bashing is getting really old. Hey Gene get your lard ass on The Biggest Loser you fat mofo.

All this Gene bashing is really getting old. Hey WhereTheWindBlows get your lard ass to a metal board who give a crap about you, you fat mofo.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Gene Hoglan on TESTAMENT   Gene Hoglan on TESTAMENT Icon_minitimeThu May 12, 2011 6:30 pm

Quote :
A lot of TESTAMENT's music is "safe" and derivative of METALLICA and SLAYER. I'm a big fan but there is some truth here. A lot of their popular albums have a lot of mediocre lyrics, riffs, drumming, etc. on them.

Agree/disagree?

The only one that could be considered mediocre was Louie Clemente.

Chuck, Eric, Greg and Alex are top notch musicians. Some of the best imo!

Last edited by Troublezone on Fri May 13, 2011 4:13 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Gene Hoglan on TESTAMENT   Gene Hoglan on TESTAMENT Icon_minitimeThu May 12, 2011 6:41 pm

Also that particular album Gene played on was very "basic" musically. It was almost a waste to hire someone of Gene's talent to play such basic drum tracks...

Dave Lombardo played on a much better record and obviously has nothing bad to say about his experience.
Back to top Go down
Leatherface
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Leatherface

Number of posts : 19229

PostSubject: Re: Gene Hoglan on TESTAMENT   Gene Hoglan on TESTAMENT Icon_minitimeThu May 12, 2011 11:17 pm

Don't agree, but whatever. I wish I could say I played for a "safe" band like Testament.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rickcaudill2
Coram Deo
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Coram Deo

Number of posts : 254

PostSubject: Re: Gene Hoglan on TESTAMENT   Gene Hoglan on TESTAMENT Icon_minitimeFri May 13, 2011 12:51 am

I don't agree...I'm not exactly sure what "safe" means......Testament is one of my Favs, so I'm a bit bias....Alex Skolnick is an amazing guitar player.....
Back to top Go down
http://annoyedelephants.wordpress.com/
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: Gene Hoglan on TESTAMENT   Gene Hoglan on TESTAMENT Icon_minitimeFri May 13, 2011 12:54 am

What does he mean by safe?
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Gene Hoglan on TESTAMENT   Gene Hoglan on TESTAMENT Icon_minitimeFri May 13, 2011 1:35 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
ultmetal wrote:

That sums it up nicely for me too, although Gene seemingly had no problem taking the gig for "extra cash".

So who ya gonna believe? Testament, the pretty boy, corporate metal sellouts or someone that does a job for anyone if the money's right? Don't they have a name for that?

Skolnick is the only one that could possibly be called a pretty boy. Eric and Chuck, especially Chuck, are ugly dudes. I guess playing safe meant they had too much melody in thier thrash and Chuck actually sung.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
sheets
Metal master
Metal master
sheets

Number of posts : 638

PostSubject: Re: Gene Hoglan on TESTAMENT   Gene Hoglan on TESTAMENT Icon_minitimeFri May 13, 2011 3:27 pm

When I got a Testament cd not too long ago I showed the booklet to my wife, and when she saw the photo of the band members she nearly puked.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

PostSubject: Re: Gene Hoglan on TESTAMENT   Gene Hoglan on TESTAMENT Icon_minitimeFri May 13, 2011 3:49 pm

WTF is corporate thrash? Pretty? Shut up Gene.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Gene Hoglan on TESTAMENT   Gene Hoglan on TESTAMENT Icon_minitimeFri May 13, 2011 3:59 pm

Gene is entitled to his opinion but I diagree. I think Testament's first three or four albums still sound great, were Testament completely original? Perhaps not but I thought they had their own sound.

As far as Testament being four good looking guys? Are you f**king kidding me!!!!!!! I donot think chics were tearing down their Bon Jovi posters to make room for Chuck Billy's chessecake pictures.

Alex is way better guitarist then the dude in Fear Factory, I like Possessed but their nick name was baby Slayer for Christ sakes, I like Possessed but deadliest band on the planet, I have to ask, are you f**king kidding me!!!!!!!!!!!

Testament commerical, yes maybe they were on this guy's planet:

Gene Hoglan on TESTAMENT Bizzaro1
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Gene Hoglan on TESTAMENT   Gene Hoglan on TESTAMENT Icon_minitimeFri May 13, 2011 4:20 pm

Quote :
As far as Testament being four good looking guys? Are you f**king kidding me!!!!!!!

Maybe Gene is comparing them to himself... if that's the case, he has a point. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: Gene Hoglan on TESTAMENT   Gene Hoglan on TESTAMENT Icon_minitimeFri May 13, 2011 4:35 pm

mc666 wrote:
i never really saw Dethklok, Strapping Young Lad, or Fear Factory as particularly deadly either, not that it matters.

Agreed.

But I don't think they are as derivative (well, maybe Dethklok) as TESTAMENT. And I like TESTAMENT once again for the record.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: Gene Hoglan on TESTAMENT   Gene Hoglan on TESTAMENT Icon_minitimeFri May 13, 2011 4:48 pm

ultmetal wrote:
I personally like Testament better than many of the other bands he was in, and certainly better than Possessed.

I do too.

Quote :
I'm not sure what is "safe" about it.

I would assume he meant that it is stylistically not breaking any new ground or pushing any current boundary in metal.

I do think POSSESSED pushed boundaries and were probably the single biggest influence on the creation of death metal.

Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: Gene Hoglan on TESTAMENT   Gene Hoglan on TESTAMENT Icon_minitimeFri May 13, 2011 4:49 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Gene seemingly had no problem taking the gig for "extra cash".

He wouldn't join TESTAMENT or SLAYER for the money. Nowadays I think he'll play with anyone for the money. OPETH, FORBIDDEN, FEAR FACTORY, etc.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gene Hoglan on TESTAMENT   Gene Hoglan on TESTAMENT Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Gene Hoglan on TESTAMENT
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next