Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Iommi Names Autobiography

Go down 
+8
Ben Grimm
Troublezone
metalinmyveins
Fat Freddy
exact33
Temple of Blood
manny
MetalGuy71
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Iommi Names Autobiography  Empty
PostSubject: Iommi Names Autobiography    Iommi Names Autobiography  Icon_minitimeTue May 03, 2011 12:09 pm

Quote :

Tony Iommi has a title for his upcoming memoirs.

It’s to be called Iron Man: My Life With Black Sabbath And Beyond, and will be published by Simon & Schuster.

Says the man himself:: “I’ve been working on it for a long time. We’ve been so busy for the last couple of years it’s been difficult finding the time to do it. But it’s coming on and hopefully it will be out soon”.

Could be interesting I suppose. Although Tony seems like a pretty quiet, reserved English gentleman. Does he have any wild stories in him? scratch

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Iommi Names Autobiography    Iommi Names Autobiography  Icon_minitimeTue May 03, 2011 12:22 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Quote :

It’s to be called Iron Man: My Life With Black Sabbath And Beyond, and will be published by Simon & Schuster.

Says the man himself:: “I’ve been working on it for a long time. We’ve been so busy for the last couple of years it’s been difficult finding the time to do it. But it’s coming on and hopefully it will be out soon”.

Could be interesting I suppose. Although Tony seems like a pretty quiet, reserved English gentleman. Does he have any wild stories in him? scratch

Good question, also is he going to be able to remember the names of all the musicians he has fired from Black Sabbath?
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Iommi Names Autobiography    Iommi Names Autobiography  Icon_minitimeTue May 03, 2011 12:25 pm

I don't care about wild stories, I just want to hear his views on music, how he developed his style, and about his relationship with all his tons of BS bandmates over the years.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Iommi Names Autobiography    Iommi Names Autobiography  Icon_minitimeTue May 03, 2011 12:26 pm

Iommi is an extremely intelligent, well-spoken guy. He was also the only one sober enough in the 70's to take over creative control of the albums.

He was the real producer for every Sabbath album from Vol. 4 to Never Say Die.

Not only do I think this book is a good idea, but I believe a documentary needs to be made on his life and career.

Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Iommi Names Autobiography    Iommi Names Autobiography  Icon_minitimeTue May 03, 2011 12:33 pm

I agree about the documentary idea, the man is a giant not only in the world of metal, but music in general. He is also a classy guy, he never took many swipes at Ozzy or Dio, like those two guys did when they were on the outs with Iommi.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Iommi Names Autobiography    Iommi Names Autobiography  Icon_minitimeTue May 03, 2011 12:35 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
I don't care about wild stories, I just want to hear his views on music, how he developed his style, and about his relationship with all his tons of BS bandmates over the years.

The problem is noone will buy that. For a big publisher like Simon & Shuster to take on a project like this, they want something that sells books. Wild stories, trashing bandmates, intimate revelations. That's what sells. Sad but true.

PostSubject: Re: Iommi Names Autobiography    Iommi Names Autobiography  Icon_minitimeTue May 03, 2011 12:39 pm

I don't know, Iommi's reputation outside metal circles has grown immensely in my lifetime, I can't see him writing a tell-all type book.

Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: Iommi Names Autobiography    Iommi Names Autobiography  Icon_minitimeTue May 03, 2011 12:41 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Quote :

I bet Ozy will come out with another book saying Iommi'd experiences were originally his and he is entitled to a portion of the proceeds...

PostSubject: Re: Iommi Names Autobiography    Iommi Names Autobiography  Icon_minitimeTue May 03, 2011 12:44 pm

One story I did hear...

Iommi is the only member of Black Sabbath that actually remembers recording the album Sabotage. Ozzy, Geezer and Bill Ward have all stated in different interviews about albums they can't remember recording...but all 3 mentioned that one.

Bill Ward also doesn't remember recording Sabbath Bloody Sabbath. I bet Ozzy doesn't remember a single one...

Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Iommi Names Autobiography    Iommi Names Autobiography  Icon_minitimeTue May 03, 2011 12:55 pm

detuned wrote:
I don't know, Iommi's reputation outside metal circles has grown immensely in my lifetime, I can't see him writing a tell-all type book.

I guess we'll all just wait and see at this point. Iommi Names Autobiography  436688 This is actually the first I'm hearing of him writing a book. That little blurb I nicked from ClassicRock.com in the original post doesn't give much info.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37654

PostSubject: Re: Iommi Names Autobiography    Iommi Names Autobiography  Icon_minitimeTue May 03, 2011 1:02 pm

Quote :
Although Tony seems like a pretty quiet, reserved English gentleman. Does he have any wild stories in him?

The "quiet, reserved" ones are usually the ones with the best stories, cuz they're the ones who sit back and observe stuff, and therefore they're the only ones who REMEMBER said stuff afterwards.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: Iommi Names Autobiography    Iommi Names Autobiography  Icon_minitimeTue May 03, 2011 1:16 pm

I would definitely be a purchaser of this book. I refused to buy the Joel McIver book "Sabbath Bloody Sabbath". I think the guy is so "Sophomoric", when it comes to his ability or lack thereof as a writer.

Last edited by metalinmyveins on Tue May 03, 2011 1:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37654

PostSubject: Re: Iommi Names Autobiography    Iommi Names Autobiography  Icon_minitimeTue May 03, 2011 1:19 pm

Speaking of Sabbath books...I used to work with the guy who wrote this one. It's part of a series aimed at 9-12 year olds called "Rebels of Rock." Other volumes include books on KISS, Def Leppard and Aerosmith. How cool is that?

Iommi Names Autobiography  51c%2BGYsZWtL._SL500_AA300_

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Iommi Names Autobiography    Iommi Names Autobiography  Icon_minitimeTue May 03, 2011 1:56 pm

metalinmyveins wrote:
I would definitely be a purchaser of this book. I refused to buy the Joel McIver book "Sabbath Bloody Sabbath". I think the guy is so "Sophomoric", when it comes to his ability or lack thereof as a writer.

I agree that guy's writting sucks, and I did n't even make it thru the book
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: Iommi Names Autobiography    Iommi Names Autobiography  Icon_minitimeTue May 03, 2011 2:11 pm

manny wrote:
metalinmyveins wrote:

I agree that guy's writting sucks, and I did n't even make it thru the book

I've read several Metallica books, and McIver's was by far the worst. The guy basically does a cut and paste job from the most obvious sources. I just never learned anything new from him after reading either: Justice for All, The Truth About Metallica (2004) or To Live Is to Die: The Life and Death of Metallica's Cliff Burton (2009). The Cliff book was the major disappointment of the two. He talked more about the band as the book went along, and besides the stuff from Cliff's music teacher (I've forgotten his name), I was disappointed in how McIver went about gathering info from Cliff's childhood/teenage friends, Cliff's Father, and especially Corinne Lynn (Cliff's girlfriend). It had been more than 20 years since the tragedy, so it would've been nice to see Joel ask more out of Cliff's love interest. If you can't get the info people want (outside of the obvious band stuff), then don't write the book...

Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Iommi Names Autobiography    Iommi Names Autobiography  Icon_minitimeTue May 03, 2011 5:30 pm

A little more info on the upcoming book, looks like the book will be mostly about the music:

Tony Iommi's Book

I was emailed over the weekend by someone who sent me a link to a book on Amazon's UK site, which says it is Tony Iommi's memoirs book. It's been known for some time now that he was working on one. I looked, and it's on the Amazon US site, too. The UK site is listing a release date of October 13, 2011, and the US site is listing a date of November 1, 2011. From what I can gather, those dates are suspect. Read below.

From what I can gather, the book should be all inclusive, although we've had no official word as to contents yet. I'll be QUITE interested to see what level of detail comes from this. Will he address things like Fenholt, Ron Keel, and what really happened with Iron Maiden and the eggs on Ozzfest 2005?

Anyway, today I inquired with Tony's manager about the link at Amazon UK's site. From what he told me, I can pass along these factoids..

* The title of the book is indeed, "Iron Man: My Life with Black Sabbath and Beyond".
* The release dates on Amazon's US & UK websites are presumptuous, because...
* The book has not yet been completed.

So basically, this news is to say that the release date is still "unknown" due to the book not yet having been completed. Once I get some more solid info than this, I'll be sure to pass it along.

This is from fanboy Joe Siegler's Black Sabbath website
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

PostSubject: Re: Iommi Names Autobiography    Iommi Names Autobiography  Icon_minitimeTue May 03, 2011 7:43 pm

I will definately be getting the book.
Back to top Go down
Ben Grimm
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Ben Grimm

Number of posts : 450

PostSubject: Re: Iommi Names Autobiography    Iommi Names Autobiography  Icon_minitimeTue May 03, 2011 8:23 pm

I want this, his quietness makes me want to hear his stories, and I hope it is more meaningful then just nights with groupies and drugs.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/inedibleben
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25889

PostSubject: Re: Iommi Names Autobiography    Iommi Names Autobiography  Icon_minitimeWed May 04, 2011 10:39 am

I think it will be a really good read. I'm looking forward to the release of this book.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Iommi Names Autobiography    Iommi Names Autobiography  Icon_minitimeThu Aug 18, 2011 4:32 pm

Bump for cover pic goodness...US version

Iommi Names Autobiography  Iommibookus

Europe version...
Iommi Names Autobiography  Iommibookuk

Anyone know why they do 2 different covers for different regions? Is it just a marketing gimmick or is there some legal reasoning?

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

PostSubject: Re: Iommi Names Autobiography    Iommi Names Autobiography  Icon_minitimeThu Aug 18, 2011 4:55 pm

I like the first cover, it has the Master of Reality color scheme and the way the sub-title is looks better. Plus, the second one has the M from Iron Maiden, which really shouldn't be there, imo. I suspect it has more to do with marketing than anything else.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

PostSubject: Re: Iommi Names Autobiography    Iommi Names Autobiography  Icon_minitimeThu Aug 18, 2011 6:03 pm

The purple tinted glasses on the US version looks a little silly.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: Iommi Names Autobiography    Iommi Names Autobiography  Icon_minitimeThu Aug 18, 2011 9:18 pm

GrandNational wrote:
I like the first cover, it has the Master of Reality color scheme and the way the sub-title is looks better. Plus, the second one has the M from Iron Maiden, which really shouldn't be there, imo. I suspect it has more to do with marketing than anything else.

i like that first one too...

ProgDoom
Metal novice
Metal novice
ProgDoom

Number of posts : 33

PostSubject: Re: Iommi Names Autobiography    Iommi Names Autobiography  Icon_minitimeThu Aug 18, 2011 10:21 pm

manny wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
Quote :

Good question, also is he going to be able to remember the names of all the musicians he has fired from Black Sabbath?

They've had literally about 11 singers.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Iommi Names Autobiography    Iommi Names Autobiography  Icon_minitimeFri Aug 19, 2011 11:39 am

Quote :
Plus, the second one has the M from Iron Maiden, which really shouldn't be there, imo.

I caught that too, seems kinda odd doesn't it?

PostSubject: Re: Iommi Names Autobiography    Iommi Names Autobiography  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Iommi Names Autobiography
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next