Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Al Atkins to release autobiography

Go down 
+2
MetalGuy71
Fat Freddy
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37654

Al Atkins to release autobiography Empty
PostSubject: Al Atkins to release autobiography   Al Atkins to release autobiography Icon_minitimeWed Mar 19, 2008 2:49 pm

Al Atkins to release autobiography AA-Full-Cover1

Found this on Blabbermouth. Sounds like it might be pretty interesting; and as far as books by former Priest members go, I'm sure it'll be a more worthwhile read than the autobiography that disgraced former drummer Dave "Kid Toucher" Holland is threatening to publish soon. Laughing

Original JUDAS PRIEST Singer To Publish Autobiography; More Details Revealed - Mar. 19, 2008

Original JUDAS PRIEST singer Al Atkins will release his autobiography, titled "Dawn Of The Metal Gods: My Life In Judas Priest And Heavy Metal", before Christmas via Iron Pages.

Commented Atkins: "For some time now, I have wanted to write my own book about my amazing life in heavy metal. Finally that dream has come true; after befriending Neil Daniels — a freelance rock writer and heavy metal fan — during the writing of his book 'The Story Of Judas Priest: Defenders Of The Faith' (Omnibus Press), we have come up with some great ideas together. Of course there will be some great stories from my few years in PRIEST but also, loads of info on the Sixties music scene in Birmingham and the West Midlands. I knew bands like SLADE, TRAPEZE and THE BAND OF JOY. I saw CREAM live, befriended BUDGIE and supported ROD STEWART. Also, I was in a band called LION in the late '70s and we supported the SEX PISTOLS and THE STRANGLERS. I also have a solo career and have released five albums so far; my new CD is called 'Demon Deceiver'. It should make for an exciting read. There'll also be loads of photos from the early years of JUDAS PRIEST and pictures of ticket stubs, posters, memorabilia, etc."

The book's description reads as follows: "Al Atkins is the former lead singer and founder of the multi-million selling British metal band JUDAS PRIEST. But where and when did it all begin?

"During the Sixties, when the highly lauded Brum Beat era produced bands such as THE MOVE and THE BAND OF JOY, Atkins played in various local outfits some of which laid the blue print for the heavier progressive sounds of early JUDAS PRIEST. And so it was in 1969 that a disillusioned Atkins decided to have a go at forming yet another band with his childhood friend Bruno Stapenhill. The band in question was JUDAS PRIEST.

"JUDAS PRIEST quickly built up a reputation in the Midlands as a powerful live act and even secured a record deal with Immediate, which was owned by ex-ROLLING STONES manager Andrew Loog Oldham. Unfortunately Immediate folded and so did PRIEST. Undeterred, Atkins formed yet another lineup of PRIEST in 1970 with guitarist K.K. Downing and bassist Ian Hill. At Atkins' behest Downing and Hill ditched the name FREIGHT and resurrected JUDAS PRIEST. Through the early Seventies, PRIEST supported many bands, including SLADE, STATUS QUO and BLACK SABBATH. Lineup changes continued until May 1973 when Atkins finally decided to call it a day.

"Atkins is the co-writer of several PRIEST songs which are included on the band’s first two albums 'Rocka Rolla' and 'Sad Wings Of Destiny', both of which eventually went gold. Atkins co-penned the heavy metal classic 'Victim Of Changes' which was a combination of Rob Halford's song 'Red Light Lady' and Atkins' own 'Whiskey Woman'. He also co-wrote 'Winter', 'Never Satisfied', 'Dreamer Deceiver' and 'Caviar And Meths'.

"In 1989 Atkins released his debut solo album 'Judgement Day' to great acclaim. But it was 'Heavy Thoughts' and 'Victim Of Changes' (the latter being his collaborative album with ex-JUDAS PRIEST drummer Dave Holland) that brought him strong sales and critical acclaim around the world. Recently Atkins has formed THE HOLY RAGE and has shared the bill with ex-RAINBOW singer Graham Bonnet in California.

"In 'Dawn Of The Metal Gods', Atkins shares his entertaining life story with the reader. This is not just a book for JUDAS PRIEST fans but a bible for all those wishing to form a band in the tumultuous world of heavy metal."

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat

Last edited by Fat Freddy on Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Al Atkins to release autobiography   Al Atkins to release autobiography Icon_minitimeWed Mar 19, 2008 2:58 pm

Looking at the back cover photo, I gotta ask...When was Glenn Tipton a black guy with a huge 'fro?
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Al Atkins to release autobiography   Al Atkins to release autobiography Icon_minitimeWed Mar 19, 2008 3:03 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Looking at the back cover photo, I gotta ask...When was Glenn Tipton a black guy with a huge 'fro?

According to the Judas Priest Info Pages, the dude with the 'Fro in question is Chris Campbell, who was Priest's drummer for a brief period circa 1972.

http://members.firstinter.net/markster/BEGINNINGS.html

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Al Atkins to release autobiography   Al Atkins to release autobiography Icon_minitimeWed Mar 19, 2008 3:16 pm

Quote :
the dude with the 'Fro in question is Chris Campbell, who was Priest's drummer for a brief period circa 1972

Back when they were a funk band. lol!
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Al Atkins to release autobiography   Al Atkins to release autobiography Icon_minitimeWed Mar 19, 2008 3:26 pm

Quote :
Back when they were a funk band. lol!

He DOES sorta have a Sly Stone kinda hair thing goin' on

Back to top Go down
kethdredd
Metal master
Metal master
kethdredd

Number of posts : 559

PostSubject: Re: Al Atkins to release autobiography   Al Atkins to release autobiography Icon_minitimeWed Mar 19, 2008 3:37 pm

I believe he was killed in a freak gardening accident.
Back to top Go down
HellRaiser
Metal student
Metal student
HellRaiser

Number of posts : 242

PostSubject: Re: Al Atkins to release autobiography   Al Atkins to release autobiography Icon_minitimeWed Mar 19, 2008 4:39 pm

I'd love to hear the Slade stories he's got.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Al Atkins to release autobiography   Al Atkins to release autobiography Icon_minitimeWed Mar 19, 2008 4:49 pm

Quote :
singer Al Atkins will release his autobiography, titled "Dawn Of The Metal Gods: My Life In Judas Priest And Heavy Metal"

In light of other discussions, shouldn't this be titled "My Life in Judas Priest and Hard Rock". Afterall, this was in the late 60's and early 70's before heavy metal existed.
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: Al Atkins to release autobiography   Al Atkins to release autobiography Icon_minitimeWed Mar 19, 2008 5:09 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Quote :
singer Al Atkins will release his autobiography, titled "Dawn Of The Metal Gods: My Life In Judas Priest And Heavy Metal"

In light of other discussions, shouldn't this be titled "My Life in Judas Priest and Hard Rock". Afterall, this was in the late 60's and early 70's before heavy metal existed.

I see you remembered your hat today Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Al Atkins to release autobiography   Al Atkins to release autobiography Icon_minitimeWed Mar 19, 2008 5:18 pm

Yup. It was a little windy this morning.
Back to top Go down
Chairman_Smith
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Chairman_Smith

Number of posts : 1636

PostSubject: Re: Al Atkins to release autobiography   Al Atkins to release autobiography Icon_minitimeWed Mar 19, 2008 6:09 pm

Awesome. I was emailing back n forth with Atkins when he was writing it, I was wondering when he was gonna get done.

Everyone buy his CDs now, do it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Al Atkins to release autobiography   Al Atkins to release autobiography Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Al Atkins to release autobiography
Page 1 of 1