Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Peace Sells...Are you Buying?

Go down 
+22
jstate
troublemagnet
Alex Dee Rokket
kmorg
Gilbert
exact33
stormspell
adrian
A Handful of Wayne
Smindas
Witchfinder
Nico
metalinmyveins
DeathCult
nevermore
Required Fields
MetalGuy71
manny
James B.
Fat Freddy
Troublezone
ultmetal
26 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

Peace Sells...Are you Buying? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Peace Sells...Are you Buying?   Peace Sells...Are you Buying? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 23, 2011 3:19 am

too commercial...
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

PostSubject: Re: Peace Sells...Are you Buying?   Peace Sells...Are you Buying? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 23, 2011 4:15 am

Troublezone wrote:
I don't like when he tries to sing. Same with Hetfield...

Just shout into the mic like the old days.
Haha, fair point. The problem is though that Hetfield's a great shouter... Dave isn't particularly. Though the snarl on 'Hook In Mouth' is rather fantastic.

Gilbert wrote:
too commercial...
Now you're just being silly.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Peace Sells...Are you Buying?   Peace Sells...Are you Buying? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 23, 2011 5:57 am

I want the 2CD version.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Alex Dee Rokket

Number of posts : 1095

PostSubject: Re: Peace Sells...Are you Buying?   Peace Sells...Are you Buying? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 23, 2011 9:05 am

Looks cool but it seems like a crapload of different mixes of the same album.

The only CD there worth having - apart from the packaging - is the bonus cd of live material (which I suspect is probably a low quality bootleg).

I have the original European pressing and the 2004 remixed/remaster (which comes with the Randy Burns mixes too).

So I think I have enough versions of Peace Sells to last me for an eternity.
Back to top Go down
troublemagnet
Metal Conspiracist

Number of posts : 410

PostSubject: Re: Peace Sells...Are you Buying?   Peace Sells...Are you Buying? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 23, 2011 9:33 am

I agree with Alex, while I can afford it, I don't want to pay for a twenty five year old album. Remixes or not, it's the same 8 songs I've heard for years...If I bought it, I'd look at it for like ten minutes,put the tracks I want on my zune, (and probably never get around to listening to them), and stick the thing in my closet. I'd much rather take that $120 or so and get some rare cds or just cds I don't have. To me, the long-term entertainment value is low for something that would just take up room in my house.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: Peace Sells...Are you Buying?   Peace Sells...Are you Buying? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 23, 2011 9:36 am

Is it just me or are the anniversary editions annoying now? With so many out there, I think it is just too much...

Alex Dee Rokket
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Alex Dee Rokket

Number of posts : 1095

PostSubject: Re: Peace Sells...Are you Buying?   Peace Sells...Are you Buying? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 23, 2011 9:48 am

I generally do not have a problem with re-issues as long as the option to buy the older versions is not taken away from the fans.

I am generally not a fan of re-issues, especially not of remixes.

I do not mind remasters but I generally prefer hearing the album the way it was originally meant to sound and have the original packaging. The problem I have is that as soon as a re-issue hits the shelves, all the original pressings are gone and they go out of print only to be found for many hundreds of dollars on ebay.

I think the fans should be given more choice rather than be forced to buy the available version.

Capitol was notorious for taking away that option with the Megadeth re-issues. Basically, all the original pressings of Megadeth's albums were replaced by the remixed versions. For a band that sang about others not erasing history, Mustaine seemingly did just that by contributing to the release of these remixed albums.

I question to what extent the remixed versions use original tracks and to what extent the various tracks were re-recorded. The sound is simply too good but more so too different from the original recording. To my ears, the remixed version of Peace Sells sounds re-recorded at least in part.

Unfortunately such moves do not give new comers a true taste of the band's music. Indeed, most who got into Megadeth since 2004 have had the displeasure of hearing a re-recorded version of Take No Prisoners on the remixed version of RIP. I think that is a travesty!

It would have been more honest for Mustaine to make full disclosure about what was and was not re-recorded on the remixes. Better yet, why did they not re-issue the albums as 2-discs - one disc with the mix as it appeared on the original pressings and another disc with the remixed album. They sure went out of their way to throw in some rough mixes - why not put the original album in the package too?
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Peace Sells...Are you Buying?   Peace Sells...Are you Buying? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 23, 2011 10:55 am

At the right price I might be tempted to pick up the discs only edition. But I can wait till that happens. Outside of the OP of Killing Is My Business most of Megadeth's stuff turns up pretty cheap eventually. I remind myself how I waited on the Warchest set and ended up getting it for like fifteen bucks. And still I haven't listened to it all yet. I think I'll make that a priority before worrying about getting this.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Peace Sells...Are you Buying?   Peace Sells...Are you Buying? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 25, 2011 10:05 am

If anything, this thread inspired me to dig out my original copy of Peace Sells and bring it into work this week to annoy my fellow employees.

"Whattya mean I can't get to work on time? Got nothin' better to do..."

Metal is Forever
akeldama

Number of posts : 7831

PostSubject: Re: Peace Sells...Are you Buying?   Peace Sells...Are you Buying? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 25, 2011 10:08 am

I'm gettin' it, it's Megadeth!

I think his vox on CTE are his best.
Back to top Go down
skullkrusher
Metal student
Metal student
skullkrusher

Number of posts : 115

PostSubject: Re: Peace Sells...Are you Buying?   Peace Sells...Are you Buying? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 25, 2011 3:12 pm

I'm definitely getting the two-disc version just for the live disc.

Check out the setlist:

Disc 2 (previously unreleased 1987 concert)
Wake Up Dead
The Conjuring
Bad Omen
Rattlehead
Killing Is My Business... And Business Is Good
Looking Down The Cross
My Last Words
Peace Sells
These Boots Were Made For Walkin'
Devils Island
Mechanix
Last Rites / Loved To Deth
Good Mourning / Black Friday

Awesome!!!

Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

PostSubject: Re: Peace Sells...Are you Buying?   Peace Sells...Are you Buying? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 26, 2011 12:17 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
I'm still amazed that they got Lars Ulrich to contribute liner notes....

Yeah, I was thinking that, too.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

PostSubject: Re: Peace Sells...Are you Buying?   Peace Sells...Are you Buying? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 26, 2011 12:59 am

[quote="Smindas"]
Troublezone wrote:
I don't like when he tries to sing. Same with Hetfield...

Just shout into the mic like the old days.
Haha, fair point. The problem is though that Hetfield's a great shouter... Dave isn't particularly. Though the snarl on 'Hook In Mouth' is rather fantastic.

Gilbert wrote:
too commercial...
Now you're just being silly.[/quote

Nope, you're so silly to buy the same music over and over...
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Peace Sells...Are you Buying?   Peace Sells...Are you Buying? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 26, 2011 1:12 am

i don't go for these types of things. i already own this album as it was originally released. i don't need all the extras.

Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

PostSubject: Re: Peace Sells...Are you Buying?   Peace Sells...Are you Buying? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 26, 2011 1:16 am

mc666 wrote:
i don't go for these types of things. i already own this album as it was originally released. i don't need all the extras.

This is almost always my point of view concerning re-releases.
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

PostSubject: Re: Peace Sells...Are you Buying?   Peace Sells...Are you Buying? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 26, 2011 2:59 am

Gilbert wrote:
At no point did I say I was buying it ;P Also, I think I might have misunderstood your comment - I thought you meant the album was "too commercial", as opposed to the re-release. If it was the latter, I agree. It's a bad cash-in.

Metal is Forever
Gilbert

PostSubject: Re: Peace Sells...Are you Buying?   Peace Sells...Are you Buying? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 26, 2011 4:36 am

Smindas wrote:
Gilbert wrote:
At no point did I say I was buying it ;P Also, I think I might have misunderstood your comment - I thought you meant the album was "too commercial", as opposed to the re-release. If it was the latter, I agree. It's a bad cash-in.

What i meant bro was that i wouldn't spend so much money on material i already own.
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

PostSubject: Re: Peace Sells...Are you Buying?   Peace Sells...Are you Buying? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 26, 2011 5:30 am

Yeah, fair point. I definitely agree with you there, mate.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: Peace Sells...Are you Buying?   Peace Sells...Are you Buying? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 10, 2011 12:20 am

I'm reading the new Revolver issue dedicated to the "Big 4". In the issue, Lars talks about how his favorite song off of Peace Sells, But Who's Buying would be either "My Last Words" or "Devils Island". Lars had asked Dave at the "Big 4" show in Romania if they would add "My Last Words" in the set list. According to Dave Ellefson they rehearsed the song, but the vibe didn't feel right. They ended up not playing it. Flash forward to August 31st at the Cow Palace in San Francisco. James and Lars came to the show, and supposedly stood off stage for the whole set. Dave and Jr. decided to throw the song in the set list at the last moment that night, and just wing it. So, here was the performance.

Another funny story to go along with this great issue of Revolver. According to Lars, his son Myles favorite band is Megadeth. headbanger Myles supposedly loves the song "Hook In Mouth". Lars would take Myles to school in the morning, and they would listen to Megadeth on the way there. It looks like Lars has done a great job of parenting!!!
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: Peace Sells...Are you Buying?   Peace Sells...Are you Buying? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 10, 2011 9:40 pm

Damn..... It really angers me how that drummer sucks so bad at playing all of Gar Samuelsons drum parts. I can't wait til Dave fires him for someone better. That is my favorite Megadeth song and he managed to ruin it.

Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: Peace Sells...Are you Buying?   Peace Sells...Are you Buying? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 12, 2011 12:04 am

Phoenix Reign Drummer wrote:
Damn..... It really angers me how that drummer sucks so bad at playing all of Gar Samuelsons drum parts. I can't wait til Dave fires him for someone better. That is my favorite Megadeth song and he managed to ruin it.

Yeah, I miss Gar Samuelson and Chris Poland alot when I hear live Deth from those first two records. I don't think most metal musicans give a flyingfuck about jazz, so they never master how those songs are played.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: Peace Sells...Are you Buying?   Peace Sells...Are you Buying? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2011 9:47 am

The release for this thing is today. I will be purchasing the two C.D set. I can't wait to check it out!
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: Peace Sells...Are you Buying?   Peace Sells...Are you Buying? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 13, 2017 10:12 am

I bought this today, mainly for the live disc (and bargain price). What I didn't expect was liner notes by Lars Ulrich, but that's wonderful.

I didn't have a copy of Peace Sells, so I'm happy with this. I listened to all Megadeth in the 90's, but not much since. Still odd I didn't have this album already. Oh well.

Nice to listen to it now, with fresh ears. I didn't get to the live disc yet.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

PostSubject: Re: Peace Sells...Are you Buying?   Peace Sells...Are you Buying? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 13, 2017 10:35 am

Lari wrote:
I bought this today, mainly for the live disc (and bargain price). What I didn't expect was liner notes by Lars Ulrich, but that's wonderful.

I didn't have a copy of Peace Sells, so I'm happy with this. I listened to all Megadeth in the 90's, but not much since. Still odd I didn't have this album already. Oh well.

Nice to listen to it now, with fresh ears. I didn't get to the live disc yet.

How much did you end up paying for it?
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: Peace Sells...Are you Buying?   Peace Sells...Are you Buying? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 13, 2017 12:03 pm

€4.95, new

EDIT: I should add, it's the 2CD version. Not box set or anything. No idea how much that goes for.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Peace Sells...Are you Buying?   Peace Sells...Are you Buying? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Peace Sells...Are you Buying?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2