Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Collectors Guide to Heavy Metal Vol 4: The 00's.

Go down 
+11
chewie
Hadley
Witchfinder
Joe
Fat Freddy
Vexer6
SAHB Healer
mc666
Temple of Blood
manny
ultmetal
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
JBall_Z
Metal master
Metal master
JBall_Z

Number of posts : 919

The Collectors Guide to Heavy Metal Vol 4: The 00's. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Collectors Guide to Heavy Metal Vol 4: The 00's.   The Collectors Guide to Heavy Metal Vol 4: The 00's. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2011 1:46 pm

I ordered this book last week, but have not received it yet. I have the first three volumes as well, and visit them often. Unfortunately, I think this book is a passing of the torch from Popoff to Perri. If there is another book at the end of this decade, I'm sure Martin will not be involved.

Ult, the reveiwer of this book at Metal-rules.com didn't like Perri's method of critique either. Apparently, his reveiws tend to be mean spirited and he not only puts down the album, but the band and the fans of the band as well. I've got a feeling I won't like Perri either, but I'm still looking forward to reading it.

I know a lot of people don't care for Martin Popoff, but I enjoy his reviews. He gives Highway Chile's self-titled a 10, so he' ok in my book.
Smile
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: The Collectors Guide to Heavy Metal Vol 4: The 00's.   The Collectors Guide to Heavy Metal Vol 4: The 00's. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2011 1:54 pm

I like Martin Popoff also and have exchanged emails with him in the past, a real friendly guy and I enjoy his books
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

PostSubject: Re: The Collectors Guide to Heavy Metal Vol 4: The 00's.   The Collectors Guide to Heavy Metal Vol 4: The 00's. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2011 4:55 pm

I have his Collector's Guide before he divided it up by decade. I use it for a reference occasionally.
Back to top Go down
Hadley
Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 992

PostSubject: Re: The Collectors Guide to Heavy Metal Vol 4: The 00's.   The Collectors Guide to Heavy Metal Vol 4: The 00's. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 13, 2011 12:45 pm

Actually, the reason theres no def leppard may be because Martin DESPISES post-pyromania def leppard. Just look at the reviews for hysteria on up. Only Retro Active (which is a compilation of b-sides) gets much praise, but he's BRUTAL on everything else.
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: The Collectors Guide to Heavy Metal Vol 4: The 00's.   The Collectors Guide to Heavy Metal Vol 4: The 00's. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 29, 2011 2:52 am

Ok I've got this book now and have looked it over. I think they realized they might be in trouble from the beginning and decided to put it out there anyway, which is to their credit I guess, but still...It's an awfully confusing book compared to the editions that covered previous decades. I think it might have been better off as two seperate books. The traditional metal covered is very hit and miss- sometime I get the feeling as I look through this book that it's an encyclopedia of Hard Rock & Extreme Metal (but not so much Heavy Metal!) Smile
I looked for my favorite albums from the past couple of years but no luck, as neither Praying Mantis or Axel Rudi Pell are covered at all in this book. Also I wanted to catch up on PC69, but I don't see them in there either. Granted these albums can't be got at Wal-mart, but it isn't as if they are one-off indies either. However comeback albums from long lost bands like Vanilla Fudge and Picture are included. Go figure.
Back to top Go down
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

PostSubject: Re: The Collectors Guide to Heavy Metal Vol 4: The 00's.   The Collectors Guide to Heavy Metal Vol 4: The 00's. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 29, 2011 7:51 pm

Couldn't care less about the '90s and '00s books but I'd love to read the '70s and '80s books. Too bad they're pretty expensive these days, even in used condition.

I do like his style of writing though. I liked his Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Top 500 Metal Albums and 20th Century Rock 'N' Roll books.

I'd also like to try out his Deep Purple and Dio books but those are fairly pricey as well nowadays.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: The Collectors Guide to Heavy Metal Vol 4: The 00's.   The Collectors Guide to Heavy Metal Vol 4: The 00's. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 30, 2011 8:18 am

The book is generally receiving negative reviews, mostly due to the confusing contradictions between the two writers. The 'new' writer generally shrugs off most old-school bands as irrelevant, while Popoff heaps praise on stuff that would barely qualify as hard rock, no less heavy metal. (.38 Special, Southern Rock Allstars, Vanilla Fudge, Night Ranger, Point Blank, etc.)

mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: The Collectors Guide to Heavy Metal Vol 4: The 00's.   The Collectors Guide to Heavy Metal Vol 4: The 00's. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 30, 2011 8:29 am

I like Martin Popoff's books and I would own more of them but as Metal Misfit pointed out the books are very expensive even used but I enjoyed his books so far.

I ordered the 'Collector's Gudie to H.M. vol 4 but based on the comments here, I do not think I will enjoy the new writer's style.
Back to top Go down
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

PostSubject: Re: The Collectors Guide to Heavy Metal Vol 4: The 00's.   The Collectors Guide to Heavy Metal Vol 4: The 00's. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 30, 2011 9:25 pm

Does he write about music for any magazines or websites? Or does he just stick to books?
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: The Collectors Guide to Heavy Metal Vol 4: The 00's.   The Collectors Guide to Heavy Metal Vol 4: The 00's. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 30, 2011 9:57 pm

Metal Misfit wrote:
Does he write about music for any magazines or websites? Or does he just stick to books?

Martin Popoff used to be a regular contributor to Brave Words & Bloody Knuckles. I never heard of his co-author on this book so your guess is as good as mine.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

PostSubject: Re: The Collectors Guide to Heavy Metal Vol 4: The 00's.   The Collectors Guide to Heavy Metal Vol 4: The 00's. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 10, 2011 5:49 pm

Well I got this one and count me in as one of the disappointed. I have all of Popoff's Collector's Guides to Heavy Metal and this last one is a let down. Co-author David Perri (another scribe over at BW&BK) can't hold a candle to Martin review wise and it seems like they give almost every album a 7 out of 10. Further, it is jarring to read a review where Popoff praised an album to the hilt and then Perri trashes the very same album in the next review. This two reviewers approach was a terrible idea and Martin should have just published the reviews he had for the decade. Also, there are massive gaps in band discographies and many bands are completely missing. David Perri is clearly a fan of more extreme bands and it shows in his reviews or other genres. Oh well, I am sure this will be the last one of these we get anyway. Finally, could the font be smaller??? - What is it 3 pt???

Last edited by Witchfinder on Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Wargod
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

PostSubject: Re: The Collectors Guide to Heavy Metal Vol 4: The 00's.   The Collectors Guide to Heavy Metal Vol 4: The 00's. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 10, 2011 6:05 pm

A friend of mine has the new one and says the new writer doesn't like the older metal bands or scene. So why in the hell would Popoff let him co-write?

Wargod52
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: The Collectors Guide to Heavy Metal Vol 4: The 00's.   The Collectors Guide to Heavy Metal Vol 4: The 00's. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 10, 2011 6:47 pm

Wargod48 wrote:
A friend of mine has the new one and says the new writer doesn't like the older metal bands or scene. So why in the hell would Popoff let him co-write?

Wargod52
He pretty much relegates them to "irrelevant" status.

About the latest W.A.S.P. he states, "Though it is a smart move to cater to your fanbase and not attempt any sort of ill-fated genre-splices, the least you can do is write some above-average material; 'tis not the case here though, Babylon betraying its semi bad-ass cover art by keeping things lame...Blackie, for the love of God, just stop."...

Perri says something similar about Metallica when he states, "just turn off the amps for good". He rates "Death Magnetic" a 5/10, this review comes shortly after a glowing review of "St. Anger" by Popoff, in which he, "applauds the band's courage, their restless creativity, and, yes, their heaviness." He even compares the album to Born Again, Flick of the Switch, Tusk, Sabotage, Dogman, etc." and rates it a 8/10.

Perri says similar things about classic rock and metal bands, while Popoff gives high scores to '00 releases from UFO, Ted Nugent, Rush, Deep Purple, ZZ Top etc. Martin even has ZZ Top's "Mescalaro" at the #2 spot in his Top 100 Heavy Metal Albums of the 00's list.

Last edited by ultmetal on Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:29 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: The Collectors Guide to Heavy Metal Vol 4: The 00's.   The Collectors Guide to Heavy Metal Vol 4: The 00's. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 10, 2011 9:10 pm

I am currently reading the book and it seems to be a trend among new writers when it comes to veteran band's newer albums, a bunch of b.s.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Collectors Guide to Heavy Metal Vol 4: The 00's.   The Collectors Guide to Heavy Metal Vol 4: The 00's. - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Collectors Guide to Heavy Metal Vol 4: The 00's.
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: