Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Van Halen III - OH NO GARY CHERONE!!!

Go down 
+21
Louder
Eyesore
Hadley
corplhicks
Orion Crystal Ice
Ben Grimm
Metal Misfit
Addy
akeldama
A Handful of Wayne
manny
journeyman
Troublezone
T-Roy
MetalGuy71
stepcousin
Todd Jaymz
novellahub
Fat Freddy
ultmetal
Chairman_Smith
25 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Van Halen III - OH NO GARY CHERONE!!! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Van Halen III - OH NO GARY CHERONE!!!   Van Halen III - OH NO GARY CHERONE!!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 10, 2010 12:01 pm

ultmetal wrote:
Finally gave this one a good listen. It's not great, but it's not nearly as bad as people say it is. I honestly think that Gary's mature lyrics are just so different from the "reach down between my legs..." type of lyrics that band is known for that people just couldn't deal with it. There are actually a few decent songs on this album IMO.

I'll have to take your word for it. I heard it years ago as a new release and didn't like it then. Currently there are no plans to either purchase or hear this album ever, ever again.

All existing copies of this album should be gathered up, sealed in a lead container, put into a rocket and aimed at the sun.

Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen III - OH NO GARY CHERONE!!!   Van Halen III - OH NO GARY CHERONE!!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 10, 2010 1:16 pm

hahahaha I don't know.... I wasn't crazy about this album but I didn't hate it. The song "Without You" was pretty good. There was some hit and miss songs on it but It wasn't all that bad and I dont even like Gary Cherone.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen III - OH NO GARY CHERONE!!!   Van Halen III - OH NO GARY CHERONE!!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 13, 2010 10:44 pm

Listening to this CD tonight, it really is not that bad, the songwriting is not the best but I admire the fact that Van Halen was trying to stretch out beyond the party rock phase, but no one listens to Van Halen to ponder the deeper meaning and mysteries of life, if anything we listen to Van Halen to escape the b.s. of the real world.

I am not sure what direction this line up would have taken on their next album, I know that few tracks where recorded for the follow up Cherone led Van Halen album, when Cherone bolted, doubtful those songs will ever see the light of day.
Back to top Go down
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

Number of posts : 7831

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen III - OH NO GARY CHERONE!!!   Van Halen III - OH NO GARY CHERONE!!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 14, 2010 12:05 am

I liked it the day it came out and I still like it, I wish they released the other half of the album but the leftover song 'That's Why I Love You' is good.

The only two stinkers on the album are 'Primary' & 'How Many Say I', this was more of an EVH solo album and I hate the riff to Ballot Or The Bullet b/c it's a detuned, rocked out version of the 'I Dream Of Jeannie' theme song. I do like the 6-string bass solo on 'Once'.
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen III - OH NO GARY CHERONE!!!   Van Halen III - OH NO GARY CHERONE!!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 14, 2010 7:46 am

my biggest qualm from what I heard of the album was not the vocals, It just sounded like any other VH album just a diff singer nothing special IMO
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen III - OH NO GARY CHERONE!!!   Van Halen III - OH NO GARY CHERONE!!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 14, 2010 11:10 am

Quote :
my biggest qualm from what I heard of the album was not the vocals

From what I remember, I didn't have a problem with the vocals either. I'm not a fan of Extreme or Cherone, but I think he's a good singer. He just had lack luster material to work with. The same could be said with the Blaze-era Maiden. Which I'd also fire towards the sun. Van Halen III - OH NO GARY CHERONE!!! - Page 2 Icon_cool

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen III - OH NO GARY CHERONE!!!   Van Halen III - OH NO GARY CHERONE!!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 14, 2010 11:16 am

My problem with the vocals on this album is that they made ( or maybe the material called for ) Gary Cherone to ape Sammy Hagar in phrashing and vocal style, it makes me wonder why they fired Hagar in the first place.
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen III - OH NO GARY CHERONE!!!   Van Halen III - OH NO GARY CHERONE!!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 14, 2010 11:56 am

Just from what i heard you can tell it was VH and the guitars sounded like they were pulled from different tracks and rearranged or something
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen III - OH NO GARY CHERONE!!!   Van Halen III - OH NO GARY CHERONE!!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 14, 2010 12:22 pm

As many said, I think the lyrics deterred people. Wasn't really that bad.
Back to top Go down
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen III - OH NO GARY CHERONE!!!   Van Halen III - OH NO GARY CHERONE!!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 14, 2010 3:43 pm

I heard a handful of songs from this album years after it was released. Not terrible but not very good. "Without You" sounds like Extreme.
Back to top Go down
Ben Grimm
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Ben Grimm

Number of posts : 450

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen III - OH NO GARY CHERONE!!!   Van Halen III - OH NO GARY CHERONE!!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 14, 2010 10:32 pm

I tried this album many times because I liked Extreme and I liked VH after DLR was out so I figured it was going to be a good meld of two good bands. I felt like a few of the songs were close to being actually really good, but they were missing something. I think this album was a victim of poor material, if VH had continued on with Garry Cherone I do think they would have found a fan base. In the end one of the biggest draws that they have is still part of the band Eddie is still in the band. They would have had to come up with a better album to follow this and Van Halen/ Van Hagar fans would have to realize that the Van Halen they know no longer existed it would have been a different band with the same name.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/inedibleben
stepcousin
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stepcousin

Number of posts : 1268

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen III - OH NO GARY CHERONE!!!   Van Halen III - OH NO GARY CHERONE!!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 15, 2010 7:56 pm

never heard it and I'm a big VH fan.
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen III - OH NO GARY CHERONE!!!   Van Halen III - OH NO GARY CHERONE!!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 15, 2010 8:01 pm

it's funny, because I tried to listen to this album *because* it didn't have the horny lyrics...and why is it people think there are only somber 'too serious' lyrics and then suddenly the only other kind are 'fun' lyrics? anyway..Gary Cherone's...nuances, I guess, in his voice, irritate me, much like Roth does. Overall I prefer his voice to Roth and he also did a great job on the live stuff and old stuff...stage presence aside that is. But he kept lapsing into this weird funk thing from Extreme that just made me kind of go 'ugh'. Musically this is a fairly interesting album. It isn't completely puke worthy or anything, but it's just kind of there most of the time, overall. I remember at the time EVH saying Cherone was his musical soul mate, and VHIII is the truest, most honest representation of who he is as a musician, and all of this gacky just-got-sober stuff. Who knows what's going on now.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37614

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen III - OH NO GARY CHERONE!!!   Van Halen III - OH NO GARY CHERONE!!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 09, 2019 11:13 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
I heard it once or twice years ago. Didn't do a darn thing for me. I felt kinda bad for Gary Cherone after all the backlash to that album, cuz I met him years ago while he was still in Extreme and he was a heckuva nice guy. He was just in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Mega ultra necro thread bump....
I finally bought a used copy of Van Halen III this past weekend to finish out their discography. Gave it a listen while walking my dog last night and ... (shrugs) meh.

My first-spin (in a very long time) impression: I was honestly expecting much worse. It's not a particularly good album, but it's not particularly bad either...its greatest sin is that it's dreadfully DULL.  

As it happens, I just finished reading Sammy Hagar's autobiography (Red), and he sez he and Cherone became friends after Gary's VH tenure came to an end.

According to what he heard from Gary, VH III was pretty much Eddie's solo album. Gary had little to no input into the making of the album -- Ed control-freaked his way thru the entire project and basically told Gary where to sit, where to stand, when to pee, and exactly how to sing everything.

I'll hang onto the CD (for now at least) since my VH collection is now complete with it, but I certainly don't think it's going to get much better on further listens.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen III - OH NO GARY CHERONE!!!   Van Halen III - OH NO GARY CHERONE!!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 09, 2019 12:50 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
I heard it once or twice years ago. Didn't do a darn thing for me. I felt kinda bad for Gary Cherone after all the backlash to that album, cuz I met him years ago while he was still in Extreme and he was a heckuva nice guy. He was just in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I finally bought a used copy of Van Halen III this past weekend to finish out their discography. Gave it a listen while walking my dog last night and ... (shrugs) meh.

My first-spin (in a very long time) impression: I was honestly expecting much worse. It's not a particularly good album, but it's not particularly bad either...its greatest sin is that it's dreadfully DULL.  

As it happens, I just finished reading Sammy Hagar's autobiography (Red), and he sez he and Cherone became friends after Gary's VH tenure came to an end.

According to what he heard from Gary, VH III was pretty much Eddie's solo album. Gary had little to no input into the making of the album -- Ed control-freaked his way thru the entire project and basically told Gary where to sit, where to stand, when to pee, and exactly how to sing everything.

I'll hang onto the CD (for now at least) since my VH collection is now complete with it, but I certainly don't think it's going to get much better on further listens.

Yup! Not a single memorable song or even riff or solo can be found on VHIII. Even the slog that was OU812 had its moments.

I had honestly never cared for Cherone. I mean, I like Extreme a lot, but his vocals bore me in either band.

How Many Say I is the weirdest, most absurd thing Ed has ever done (and thankfully sang).
Back to top Go down
Hadley
Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 991

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen III - OH NO GARY CHERONE!!!   Van Halen III - OH NO GARY CHERONE!!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 09, 2019 3:36 pm

I enjoy the songs Without You, Fire in the Hole, and Ballot or the Bullet. However, the problem is that the production makes it sound like it was recoreded in an echo chamber or something (see From Afar or Dirty Water Dog or A Year to the Day for examples of what I mean), with Fire in the Hole being the only "live" sounding song.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen III - OH NO GARY CHERONE!!!   Van Halen III - OH NO GARY CHERONE!!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 09, 2019 7:26 pm

Very true about the production. I never understood why Ed went with Mike Post--a veteran TV theme producer with some music credits for Dolly Parton and Kenny Rogers. WTF, right? Then again, Ed had a weird knack for choosing odd (or once choosing nobody) hands-off producers after 1984. Even Fairbarn felt a little corporate a name. Ted did a decent job at keeping them in shape musically and Ed gradually desired more control. The Templeman albums maintained a general shape and direction; everything after was all over the map. Ed wanted to be more of a songwriter, I think, than some jam band virtuoso. Oh yeah, bad taxes, drugs, alcohol, becoming a parent, marital voids--that stuff comes into play as well.

I have this theory that if Ed were to have released one more album under the VH moniker (lead singer doesn't matter) sometime after III, maybe after he and Val split, he would've had a collective akin to Neil Young's "Ditch Trilogy." It was a dark time, man. A dark time.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen III - OH NO GARY CHERONE!!!   Van Halen III - OH NO GARY CHERONE!!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 09, 2019 10:04 pm

corplhicks wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

Yup! Not a single memorable song or even riff or solo can be found on VHIII. Even the slog that was OU812 had its moments.

I had honestly never cared for Cherone. I mean, I like Extreme a lot, but his vocals bore me in either band.

How Many Say I is the weirdest, most absurd thing Ed has ever done (and thankfully sang).

Nothing great on VHIII, but it's an album best taken in very small doses. I tend to listen to my collection on shuffle, so I get a song here and there, and I don't mind it then. In small doses, the songs—some of them, anyway—come off much better.

As for Cherone, he's a phenomenal singer. In any band.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen III - OH NO GARY CHERONE!!!   Van Halen III - OH NO GARY CHERONE!!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 10, 2019 11:25 am

Eyesore wrote:
corplhicks wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

Nothing great on VHIII, but it's an album best taken in very small doses. I tend to listen to my collection on shuffle, so I get a song here and there, and I don't mind it then. In small doses, the songs—some of them, anyway—come off much better.

As for Cherone, he's a phenomenal singer. In any band.

Oh, no doubt about Cherone; dude's got major skill and was (is?) on the top of his game. Just that his voice doesn't pop out for me. I've never really been able to understand it. Some great vocalists don't really hit my radar the way they do others. Although I will echo what Manny said in that Cherone seemed to be reaching for a bit of Hagar-mimicry on III. But from the live clips I've seen he was also an outstanding frontman for the tour.

I may try and and digest the songs on III the way you suggest sometime. I've always been an album guy, start to finish, but maybe one random song a day, might get more mileage. Except How Many Say I. Not touching that turd again.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17062

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen III - OH NO GARY CHERONE!!!   Van Halen III - OH NO GARY CHERONE!!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 10, 2019 7:11 pm

Cherone was a terrible mismatch for the vibe of a band like Van Halen. And his voice didn’t have the charisma of his predecessors. It’s like the guy that is singing in STP now. Sure he can sing, but he doesn’t have that magic chemistry to stand out.
Back to top Go down
Louder
Metal student
Metal student
Louder

Number of posts : 136

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen III - OH NO GARY CHERONE!!!   Van Halen III - OH NO GARY CHERONE!!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 12, 2019 8:03 am

They should have called this album Close But No Hagar.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39398

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen III - OH NO GARY CHERONE!!!   Van Halen III - OH NO GARY CHERONE!!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 12, 2019 8:07 am

Louder wrote:

lol!
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37614

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen III - OH NO GARY CHERONE!!!   Van Halen III - OH NO GARY CHERONE!!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 12, 2019 11:16 am

Louder wrote:

Laughing very hard lol!

Van Halen III - OH NO GARY CHERONE!!! - Page 2 1627be

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
glassprison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
glassprison

Number of posts : 2959

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen III - OH NO GARY CHERONE!!!   Van Halen III - OH NO GARY CHERONE!!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 12, 2019 8:31 pm

I'm going to make a point of checking out a bootleg of the tour they did with Cherone just to hear how he sounded on the non-VH III material.

That album was terrible though. When I was putting together a VH comp earlier this year and hoping to get at least one song from every album, I couldn't find anything on this one worth including.

Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28392

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen III - OH NO GARY CHERONE!!!   Van Halen III - OH NO GARY CHERONE!!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2020 8:13 pm

Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen III - OH NO GARY CHERONE!!!   Van Halen III - OH NO GARY CHERONE!!! - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Van Halen III - OH NO GARY CHERONE!!!
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next