Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Music buying mania (metal or otherwise)

Go down 
+17
Fat Freddy
DallasBlack
Joe
adrian
stepcousin
EvyMetal
bassman
nevermore
krokus
chewie
mc666
Temple of Blood
manny
MetalGuy71
jstate
Shawn Of Fire
Sinistar
21 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
EvyMetal
Baron Von 40oz.
EvyMetal

Number of posts : 4386

Music buying mania (metal or otherwise) - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music buying mania (metal or otherwise)   Music buying mania (metal or otherwise) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 19, 2011 5:27 pm

I buy a lot of cd's, but like MC said, I don't need to budget myself. I buy whenever I feel like buying. I have a relatively low-paying job, but I still live with my parents and go to school.

My dad just called me today and said he wanted to go hit up secondspin, the store. Awesome.
Back to top Go down
stepcousin
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stepcousin

Number of posts : 1268

PostSubject: Re: Music buying mania (metal or otherwise)   Music buying mania (metal or otherwise) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 19, 2011 5:53 pm

I'm like most everyone here, I have been buying music since I was old enough to earn money. There hasn't ever been a time where I wasnt buying records, cassettes, CD's, and various forms of playback capabilities. However, lately I've rediscovered vinyl again and so now I've got another avenue to waste my money on music even more.
Back to top Go down
adrian
Metal master
Metal master
adrian

Number of posts : 994

PostSubject: Re: Music buying mania (metal or otherwise)   Music buying mania (metal or otherwise) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 19, 2011 6:09 pm

I'm an addict for sure. I almost always have at least one cd in transit to my house that I've bought online. I try and limit myself as much as possible, but it's hard.
Back to top Go down
Joe
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Joe

Number of posts : 1862

PostSubject: Re: Music buying mania (metal or otherwise)   Music buying mania (metal or otherwise) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 19, 2011 8:32 pm

The only thing I usually spend money on is CDs. So, I don't really limit myself. It does go in waves though.
Back to top Go down
EvyMetal
Baron Von 40oz.
EvyMetal

Number of posts : 4386

PostSubject: Re: Music buying mania (metal or otherwise)   Music buying mania (metal or otherwise) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 19, 2011 8:33 pm

Joe wrote:
The only thing I usually spend money on is CDs. So, I don't really limit myself. It does go in waves though.

Cds, beer and cigarettes
Back to top Go down
Joe
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Joe

Number of posts : 1862

PostSubject: Re: Music buying mania (metal or otherwise)   Music buying mania (metal or otherwise) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 19, 2011 8:40 pm

EvyMetal wrote:
Joe wrote:

Cds, beer and cigarettes

Beer counts as groceries in my household. My wife handles that! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Music buying mania (metal or otherwise)   Music buying mania (metal or otherwise) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 19, 2011 8:46 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
I'm an addict. I know it and I accept it as part of who I am. I'll always be interested in hearing and buying new metal music (and great older metal that slipped under the radar). The internet makes it so easy nowadays.

That's me to a tee. I've come to realize that no matter how much I realize I need to cut back, I don't think I ever will.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Music buying mania (metal or otherwise)   Music buying mania (metal or otherwise) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 20, 2011 9:01 am

One thing I always consider with this "addiction" is that the time will come when physical cds will become scarce and rare. It's amazing to think of the number of places I used to buy at that no longer exist. And too many times I've held off getting something only to see it then reach three figures in price. Especially true of the older HTF stuff. I take the philosophy of "get it while I can".

And as much as I love online buying (and getting the mail), nothing will ever beat browsing through music at an actual store.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Music buying mania (metal or otherwise)   Music buying mania (metal or otherwise) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 20, 2011 9:26 am

jstate wrote:
And as much as I love online buying (and getting the mail), nothing will ever beat browsing through music at an actual store.

No doubt but in my area apart from used CDs, I'm often at the mercy of online buying. If they still had the Virgin Megastore down here I would be going there. I used to go once a month and spend over $100 before they closed it down.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Music buying mania (metal or otherwise)   Music buying mania (metal or otherwise) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 20, 2011 9:30 am

Most (if not all) of my new-CD purchases this past year were via Amazon, which was a first.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Music buying mania (metal or otherwise)   Music buying mania (metal or otherwise) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 20, 2011 10:01 am

jstate wrote:
One thing I always consider with this "addiction" is that the time will come when physical cds will become scarce and rare. It's amazing to think of the number of places I used to buy at that no longer exist. And too many times I've held off getting something only to see it then reach three figures in price. Especially true of the older HTF stuff. I take the philosophy of "get it while I can".

100% agree but this last year 90% of my purchase have been thru Amazon just like FF
Back to top Go down
mlotek
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mlotek

Number of posts : 1226

PostSubject: Re: Music buying mania (metal or otherwise)   Music buying mania (metal or otherwise) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 21, 2011 11:28 pm

Every few months I will spend $40-100. Either from a distro, or direct from a band, or a used record store where vinyl LP's are $1.99 or $2.99, but most of the stock is 1970s or 80s rock.
They keep the metal in the bins that are either $3.99- $20, or the brand new vinyl section which can be from $12.99 +.

I grew up with pulling out insert sleeves and absorbing the fronts and back covers of 12 inch vinyl, admiring the art or photos, reading all the lyrics and credits.
When cds came out, I thought they were a rip off and still do.
They probably could have made laser discs the new medium standard if they really wanted to.

I buy cds (like recently for VOOR, bought the cd but also the VINYL as I enjoy it more), but am not totally happy with them.
Back to top Go down
Sinistar
Metal student
Metal student
Sinistar

Number of posts : 141

PostSubject: Re: Music buying mania (metal or otherwise)   Music buying mania (metal or otherwise) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 22, 2011 9:21 am

Lps were much nicer from an asthetic viewpoint for sure. I had a great turntable set up back in the 80s in which I could get cd sound quality from my records.

As much as I love lps, I didn't stick with the format. Cds were much more convenient. I didn't have to clean the record and the stylus every album side and worry about the needle wearing out. I still miss the album experience though.
Back to top Go down
Wargod
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

PostSubject: Re: Music buying mania (metal or otherwise)   Music buying mania (metal or otherwise) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 22, 2011 11:47 am

I haven't bought anything new in 2 months and won't until probably april.

Wargod51
Back to top Go down
Alex Dee Rokket
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Alex Dee Rokket

Number of posts : 1095

PostSubject: Re: Music buying mania (metal or otherwise)   Music buying mania (metal or otherwise) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 22, 2011 5:07 pm

With my new job, I tend to spend about 50 bucks every month on CDs. While that may not buy you much at local music stores, it can go a long way if you shop online.

I am not one for buying all the latest releases - I'm still catching up to all the metal I missed out in the 80s and 90s. Admittedly new releases can cost a pretty penny (though usually no more than $20 w/ postage included, for the special editions too). However various places online sell cds for anywhere between 6 - 8 $USD and that's with postage included.

My buying patterns have also changed a lot throughout the years. In the past I used to buy selected albums from a band's discography. I used to buy one album at a time from a band, and normally end up with albums from 5 or 6 different bands every month.

Nowadays, however, my selling pattern is different. I buy complete catalogs from bands I really like and am currently obsessed about. Lately it's been Rage and Saxon - and I have almost completed their respective catalogs.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: Music buying mania (metal or otherwise)   Music buying mania (metal or otherwise) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 24, 2011 12:58 am

I do not buy cds on a regular basis, since metal shopping is extremely limited around here.

So i have to await until i'm travelling to do most of my shopping, which can be very costy, because i usually come back home with not less then 30 cds in average after each trip.

In addition, my brother abroad fixes me up with an average of 20 cds a year.

He recently got me from Santiago chili UDO's mission X, man and machine, Halford IV, Exodus' Tempo of the damned and Stryper's Best of.

This is how i manage to stay up to date.

And i agree with bassman that this board has pushed me to buy more albums.
Smile
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: Music buying mania (metal or otherwise)   Music buying mania (metal or otherwise) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 24, 2011 1:01 am

krokus wrote:
I can not buy like before because i have hardly no space anymore, its really getting a problem. I am looking for some cds in my coleccion that i am going to sell.

Or donate to dear friends on this board greedy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Music buying mania (metal or otherwise)   Music buying mania (metal or otherwise) - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Music buying mania (metal or otherwise)
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2