Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Don Kirshner Has Died

Go down 
+9
MetalGuy71
ultmetal
Gilbert
Leatherface
nevermore
manny
Getizzyback
Fat Freddy
tohostudios
13 posters
AuthorMessage
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

Don Kirshner Has Died Empty
PostSubject: Don Kirshner Has Died   Don Kirshner Has Died Icon_minitimeTue Jan 18, 2011 7:51 pm

Anybody within 10 years of my age should remember this guy.

His "Rock Concert" show was a staple during my teens.

http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/stopthepresses/357853/don-kirshner-goes-to-the-great-rock-concert-in-the-sky/

EDIT: BTW, I love the Queen clip!

Last edited by tohostudios on Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Don Kirshner Has Died   Don Kirshner Has Died Icon_minitimeTue Jan 18, 2011 7:52 pm

Wow, I honestly thought he'd died years ago. Maybe I had him confused with Bill Graham.

Unfortunately I'm just young enough that I never caught his "Rock Concert" show in its heyday, as it came on wayyyyy past Lil' Freddy's bed time. I remember seeing commercials for it on TV and thinking "Someday... someday I'll stay up late and watch that show!"

R.I.P. Don!

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Getizzyback
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Getizzyback

Number of posts : 428

PostSubject: Re: Don Kirshner Has Died   Don Kirshner Has Died Icon_minitimeTue Jan 18, 2011 8:08 pm

I remember seeing Loverboy do "Turn Me Loose" on Kirshner's Rock Concert. I was about 13-14 and I was out getting that album the next day!

R.I.P. Don
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Don Kirshner Has Died   Don Kirshner Has Died Icon_minitimeTue Jan 18, 2011 8:26 pm

Getizzyback wrote:
I remember seeing Loverboy do "Turn Me Loose" on Kirshner's Rock Concert. I was about 13-14 and I was out getting that album the next day!

R.I.P. Don

Yeah, that show introduced me to quite a few bands back in the day.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Don Kirshner Has Died   Don Kirshner Has Died Icon_minitimeTue Jan 18, 2011 9:30 pm

Don Kirshner's show televised Deep Purple, KISS, Alice Cooper, AC/DC, Black Sabbath, T. Rex. Aerosmith and so many hard rock/metal giants not to mention created the Monkees, he was cool in my book
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

PostSubject: Re: Don Kirshner Has Died   Don Kirshner Has Died Icon_minitimeTue Jan 18, 2011 10:36 pm

I always enjoyed watching Don's show. I caught KISS, AC/DC, Aerosmith and so many more on his show. R.I.P. Don
Back to top Go down
Leatherface
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Leatherface

Number of posts : 19229

PostSubject: Re: Don Kirshner Has Died   Don Kirshner Has Died Icon_minitimeWed Jan 19, 2011 12:31 am

RIP.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rickcaudill2
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: Don Kirshner Has Died   Don Kirshner Has Died Icon_minitimeWed Jan 19, 2011 1:23 am

RIP
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Don Kirshner Has Died   Don Kirshner Has Died Icon_minitimeWed Jan 19, 2011 9:05 am

Heard that on the radio last night at the gym. That sucks.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Don Kirshner Has Died   Don Kirshner Has Died Icon_minitimeWed Jan 19, 2011 9:53 am

Count me in the "thought he was dead already" camp. Oh well. Like some others, I was a wee bit too young to really remember the man, but he liked his rock n roll. Good enough for me.

Fare thee well, Don.

PostSubject: Re: Don Kirshner Has Died   Don Kirshner Has Died Icon_minitimeWed Jan 19, 2011 11:21 am

RIP man, you spread the word of rock well.
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: Don Kirshner Has Died   Don Kirshner Has Died Icon_minitimeWed Jan 19, 2011 11:50 am

Took a chance on a little midwest band named Kansas with his new record label....

R.I.P.
Back to top Go down
325ad
Metal master
Metal master
325ad

Number of posts : 532

PostSubject: Re: Don Kirshner Has Died   Don Kirshner Has Died Icon_minitimeWed Jan 19, 2011 12:46 pm

chewie wrote:
Took a chance on a little midwest band named Kansas with his new record label....

R.I.P.

Right on, I read this on a tweet from Kerry. R.I.P. Don thanks for bringing the Rock!
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Don Kirshner Has Died   Don Kirshner Has Died Icon_minitimeWed Jan 19, 2011 2:28 pm

I wish I could access You Tube here at work , when he introduced Black Sabbath on his program, he called them a brillant band, for that alone he gets my respect.
Back to top Go down
mlotek
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mlotek

Number of posts : 1226

PostSubject: Re: Don Kirshner Has Died   Don Kirshner Has Died Icon_minitimeThu Jan 20, 2011 2:49 am

I think I only seen it ONCE.
Good thing there are people sharing some of these old tv shows ... I seen a TV infomercial for it a year or two ago, but they were not complete shows or complete sets by bands as far as I remember.
Back to top Go down
JBall_Z
Metal master
Metal master
JBall_Z

Number of posts : 919

PostSubject: Re: Don Kirshner Has Died   Don Kirshner Has Died Icon_minitimeThu Jan 20, 2011 12:18 pm

Wow... R.I.P. Don.

Favorite memory - sleeping over at my buddy's house one friday night when KISS was going to be on Don Kirshner's Rock Concert. We stayed up late and tried to take polaroid pictures of the television screen to preserve the performance forever, but it didn't quite work out. Who knew then there would be such a thing as DVDs and Kissology box sets.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Don Kirshner Has Died   Don Kirshner Has Died Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Don Kirshner Has Died
Page 1 of 1