Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The future of music distribution

Go down 
+4
exact33
Smindas
kmorg
Alex Dee Rokket
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Alex Dee Rokket
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Alex Dee Rokket

Number of posts : 1095

The future of music distribution Empty
PostSubject: The future of music distribution   The future of music distribution Icon_minitimeSun Jan 02, 2011 5:09 am

I'm starting this thread because I am concerned about the future distribution of heavy metal music, especially about the real possibility of albums no longer being re-printed in a physical media format (CD / Vinyl). In particular, what prompted me to type this out is my own personal frustration for not being able to find and purchase at reasonable prices albums by bands such as Rage, Virgin Steele, Coroner and a few other stuff 'lesser known' metal bands.

A number of events over the last 5 - 6 years have seen a number of heavy metal classic albums going out of print. Firstly, the adverse impact of the GFC has led to a number of labels going bankrupt (e.g. SPV) or being amalgamated into other, larger labels (e.g. Noise and GUN coming under the umbrella of Sanctuary Records). Secondly, the surge in popularity of services such as Itunes has also made many labels question whether or not the traditional, physical format is still a viable platform for distributing music to the fans.

I don't foresee physical media going completely out of print - in fact there is a new trend now of re-releasing both old and new albums on vinyl in limited number of copies compared to CDs. I believe the distribution of CDs is likely to head in the same direction: with fewer CDs being produced. If anything, the emphasis may be on bonus material such as bonus DVDs of full-length concerts and bonus tracks, a trend that has been underway for some time.

However, this is likely to be applicable more to newer than older albums. It's likely that albums older than a couple of years will not be re-issued and the current releases, once the limited number of prints have exhausted will not be re-printed. The only alternative will be for listeners to buy the digital copy.

I can't help but cringe if these predictions turn out to be correct. As a collector of music I cannot see any value in 'owning' (loosely termed) a number of files on my computer. As both a collector and a fan of music I like experiencing the whole album and not merely a restricted collection of singles. Furthermore, I like having a tactile experience - the packaging may not be important to most but for me, the album artwork, the liner notes, the photos inside are a snapshot of the band's mindset at the time of recording the album. It is a visual expression of the sound and style. It paints for the listener a picture of what the band and the album is about. A music file cannot do that.

Unfortunately speaking my mind in this manner will not change anything. I will still not be able to buy the entire Virgin Steele catalog without researching the depths of the Internet. Ultimately, I am likely to only find selective albums whilst other albums will come at unreasonably high prices. But something needs to change.

I don't believe the digital distribution model will ever appeal to metal listeners. Labels which exclusively promote heavy metal and continue to distribute albums in a physical format should take control of the catalogs by bands on labels such as Noise and GUN. Those bands and their legacies should not be forgotten merely because business models are changing and labels are going under. What I'm suggesting is not uncommon either. In fact, Metal Mind Productions has been re-releasing and distributing albums that had been out of print for a very long time, and that labels such as Roadrunner are simply no longer interested in re-releasing. So if Metal Mind Productions can do it, surely other more resourceful labels can adopt a similar stance.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: The future of music distribution   The future of music distribution Icon_minitimeSun Jan 02, 2011 8:45 am

TNT is trying something new this time around. As a project here in *Norway only, they are selling their brand new CD as a Bookazine. Basically you get a TNT magazine and the new CD, in a digipak, as a package, all distributed through the same channels who sell magazines. Thet means that instead of having the CD available in only a handful of shops that sell CD's, they are now in most kiosks and gas stations all over Norway. And the price of the thing is actually lower than it would be in a CD shop.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

PostSubject: Re: The future of music distribution   The future of music distribution Icon_minitimeSun Jan 02, 2011 9:48 am

Classic Rock magazine have been doing something similar to that over here as well, Kmorg. Slash's solo album was released a month earlier here in the UK as part of a special package where it was accompanied by an entire issue of Classic Rock centred around the album. Plus, the album included had a unique, hardback case and an extra track. It cost a fraction more than it did when the stand-alone CD was released a bit later, but it was worth it for the collector's issue as it provided a great read. They've also just done the same with the new Motorhead album.

PostSubject: Re: The future of music distribution   The future of music distribution Icon_minitimeSun Jan 02, 2011 11:34 am

I foresee music stores being kind of specialty, one or two per area and online stores will stick around. Places like Best Buy and Walmart will continue to phase out music.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: The future of music distribution   The future of music distribution Icon_minitimeSun Jan 02, 2011 1:40 pm

kmorg wrote:
TNT is trying something new this time around. As a project here in *Norway only, they are selling their brand new CD as a Bookazine. Basically you get a TNT magazine and the new CD, in a digipak, as a package, all distributed through the same channels who sell magazines. Thet means that instead of having the CD available in only a handful of shops that sell CD's, they are now in most kiosks and gas stations all over Norway. And the price of the thing is actually lower than it would be in a CD shop.

That is interesting. I think as long as there is money to be made selling metal cds - they will be available.

A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: The future of music distribution   The future of music distribution Icon_minitimeSun Jan 02, 2011 2:42 pm

Those Rage and Virgin Steele cds should be found anywhere really. I never had a problem finding their albums for reasonable prices. Right now most of the back catalogue of Virgin Steele was re-released (yet again). Your not going to find them for less that $15 probably. Coroner I could see there would be a problem since they haven't done anything in years. Those are much harder to find. Where do you live?

Metal master
Metal master
adrian

Number of posts : 994

PostSubject: Re: The future of music distribution   The future of music distribution Icon_minitimeSun Jan 02, 2011 4:18 pm

I think it's highly likely that professional cd-r will become increasingly popular like what amazon does with some releases. That way they're only made when they're specifically ordered: no limited quanitities and no pressing too many copies that never sell.

That wouldn't be so bad I think, my copy of Wayne - Metal Church is a cd-r and there's nothing wrong with it.
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

PostSubject: Re: The future of music distribution   The future of music distribution Icon_minitimeSun Jan 02, 2011 5:58 pm

except in a few years you wont be able to play it

Metal master
Metal master
adrian

Number of posts : 994

PostSubject: Re: The future of music distribution   The future of music distribution Icon_minitimeSun Jan 02, 2011 6:18 pm

Really? I didn't realize that those didn't last. Maybe I should have bought the original Sad
Back to top Go down
Alex Dee Rokket
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Alex Dee Rokket

Number of posts : 1095

PostSubject: Re: The future of music distribution   The future of music distribution Icon_minitimeSun Jan 02, 2011 8:04 pm

Phoenix Reign Drummer wrote:
Those Rage and Virgin Steele cds should be found anywhere really. I never had a problem finding their albums for reasonable prices. Right now most of the back catalogue of Virgin Steele was re-released (yet again). Your not going to find them for less that $15 probably. Coroner I could see there would be a problem since they haven't done anything in years. Those are much harder to find. Where do you live?

The problem isn't so much with newer releases. Indeed, I can find albums released by Rage in the last 10 years but I cannot easily find their 1980s and 1990s releases. Their older albums were released via GUN and Noise Records, which had poor distribution to begin with. However, since those labels have gone under or have been amalgamated into different other labels, albums released by bands like Rage and Virgin Steele have gone out of print.

It makes finding their albums even more difficult than before. While it is still possible to find their albums, it is usually at greater expense of money and time than when those labels were still operating.

Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

PostSubject: Re: The future of music distribution   The future of music distribution Icon_minitimeSun Jan 02, 2011 10:34 pm

adrian wrote:
Really? I didn't realize that those didn't last. Maybe I should have bought the original Sad

Yea they don't really last long at all. It really depends on what CDR it is too. I have some CDR's from years ago and they still work but others start to get messed up sooner than later.

Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

PostSubject: Re: The future of music distribution   The future of music distribution Icon_minitimeSun Jan 02, 2011 10:41 pm

Alex Dee Rokket wrote:

The problem isn't so much with newer releases. Indeed, I can find albums released by Rage in the last 10 years but I cannot easily find their 1980s and 1990s releases. Their older albums were released via GUN and Noise Records, which had poor distribution to begin with. However, since those labels have gone under or have been amalgamated into different other labels, albums released by bands like Rage and Virgin Steele have gone out of print.

It makes finding their albums even more difficult than before. While it is still possible to find their albums, it is usually at greater expense of money and time than when those labels were still operating.

Rage- Reign Of Fear $10.94
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00006GOBH/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&qid=1294025800&sr=1-3&condition=used

Rage- Reflections Of A Shadow $8.98
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00006GOBL/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&qid=1294025850&sr=1-1&condition=used

Rage- Execution Guaranteed $8.10
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00006GOBI/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&qid=1294025830&sr=1-2&condition=used

Rage- Secrets In A Wierd World $7.99
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00006GOBI/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&qid=1294025830&sr=1-2&condition=used

I looked up Perfect Man and for some reason that one is expensive for either version. No idea why because I got mine for no more than probably $10 not too long ago. But theres 4 cds already for pretty good prices.

Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: The future of music distribution   The future of music distribution Icon_minitimeSun Jan 02, 2011 11:56 pm

Divebomb Records is working to keep physical music media alive.

www.divebombrecords.com

So far they have reissued titles by Chastain, Sgt Fury, Uncle Slam, Casanova and others...they're about to reissue some Anacrusis as well..,

Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9889

PostSubject: Re: The future of music distribution   The future of music distribution Icon_minitimeMon Jan 03, 2011 4:13 am

adrian wrote:

Yea they don't really last long at all. It really depends on what CDR it is too. I have some CDR's from years ago and they still work but others start to get messed up sooner than later.

Correct. This is why i always go for the original.

I got rid of all the CDRs in my collection.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: The future of music distribution   The future of music distribution Icon_minitimeMon Jan 03, 2011 7:51 am

CDRs will last for many years while you look for an original, if one wanted to go that route. Its not like they turn to dust in six months or anything. I have homemade CDRs I made for my wife (comps) 7 or 8 years ago that still play fine even with scratches on them.

As for physical media, for the Metal scene (as well as other more underground scenes) it's not going away anytime soon...by the time it does, most of us will have stopped seeking out new music anyway and will have all the CDs, LPs & DVDs we want.

Ths physical media issue comes up around here 7 or 8 times a year and every time we arrive at the same conclusions:

- for the mass marketed, mainstream genres, moving away from physical format will be much more common as the business moves back toward a singles-driven model

- having that area of "music" (term used loosely) move away from physical format doesn't affect us as we don't buy it anyway

- for underground genres, of which Metal is no doubt a part, physical media will hold its appeal. We may see smaller pressings, more limited editions, but the opportunity will still be there for the people who want physical media to get it...CD, vinyl, 7", DVD, as well as digital, will continue to be an option for the foreseeable future...don't panic.

As the mainstream moves back to a singles-driven model, I believe Metal could be moving back to its roots a bit as well. More DIY, more split 7" vinyl, more split EP releases, bands unifying and beginning to strengthen the weakening scene. The bands that unwittingly started Heavy Metal never saw it as a huge, money-making, major-label corporation. Bands today, in many cases, almost expect a living or some sort of paycheck for it right out of the gate. A purging is in order, IMO. Time for Metal to tear down so it can rebuild, IMO.

Metal will always remain an underground force. The Metal fans will always have a desire for something the can see and touch...our music is more than ringtones and commercials...it's our life. There is no need, IMO, for Metal fans to get all tweaked out over "the death of the CD".

The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: The future of music distribution   The future of music distribution Icon_minitimeMon Jan 03, 2011 8:16 am

I might be able to stomach CDR's if they were $5-$6 each. I dont like CDR's priced at $10...

A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

PostSubject: Re: The future of music distribution   The future of music distribution Icon_minitimeMon Jan 03, 2011 2:19 pm

exact33 wrote:
I might be able to stomach CDR's if they were $5-$6 each. I dont like CDR's priced at $10...

A store I was going into started doing the CDR thing for $10. I bought one by mistake because they didn't have any markings on it. I quickly took it back. I wouldn't even bother paying for a CDR. Everythings for free on the internet I'll make my own CDR.

PostSubject: Re: The future of music distribution   The future of music distribution Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The future of music distribution
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: