Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

1977! Does it get any better than this...

Go down 
+25
stepcousin
Troublezone
allthingsmetal
DeathCult
metalinmyveins
GrandNational
James B.
mc666
Ben Grimm
adrian
JBall_Z
exact33
bassman
nevermore
tohostudios
thejokeriv
Red Kitty
mr.electric39
Shawn Of Fire
Required Fields
Smindas
Fat Freddy
manny
iamrockerfun
ultmetal
29 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Choose!
AC/DC - Let There Be Rock
1977! Does it get any better than this... Vote_lcap19%1977! Does it get any better than this... Vote_rcap
 19% [ 9 ]
Aerosmith - Draw the Line
1977! Does it get any better than this... Vote_lcap6%1977! Does it get any better than this... Vote_rcap
 6% [ 3 ]
Alice Cooper - Lace and Whiskey
1977! Does it get any better than this... Vote_lcap0%1977! Does it get any better than this... Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Blue Öyster Cult - Spectres
1977! Does it get any better than this... Vote_lcap8%1977! Does it get any better than this... Vote_rcap
 8% [ 4 ]
Judas Priest - Sin After Sin
1977! Does it get any better than this... Vote_lcap19%1977! Does it get any better than this... Vote_rcap
 19% [ 9 ]
KISS - Love Gun
1977! Does it get any better than this... Vote_lcap10%1977! Does it get any better than this... Vote_rcap
 10% [ 5 ]
Motörhead - Motörhead
1977! Does it get any better than this... Vote_lcap4%1977! Does it get any better than this... Vote_rcap
 4% [ 2 ]
Nazareth - Expect No Mercy
1977! Does it get any better than this... Vote_lcap0%1977! Does it get any better than this... Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Scorpions - Taken by Force
1977! Does it get any better than this... Vote_lcap10%1977! Does it get any better than this... Vote_rcap
 10% [ 5 ]
Ted Nugent - Cat Scratch Fever
1977! Does it get any better than this... Vote_lcap4%1977! Does it get any better than this... Vote_rcap
 4% [ 2 ]
Queen - News of the World
 0% [ 0 ]
Rush - A Farewell to Kings
1977! Does it get any better than this... Vote_lcap6%1977! Does it get any better than this... Vote_rcap
 6% [ 3 ]
Sweet - Off the Record
 0% [ 0 ]
Thin Lizzy - Bad Reputation
1977! Does it get any better than this... Vote_lcap2%1977! Does it get any better than this... Vote_rcap
 2% [ 1 ]
UFO - Lights Out
 10% [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 48

AuthorMessage
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

1977! Does it get any better than this... Empty
PostSubject: 1977! Does it get any better than this...   1977! Does it get any better than this... Icon_minitimeTue Dec 28, 2010 12:33 pm

Heavy Metal – stacks of speakers and high voltage amps; thunderous, surging sounds from the bass, screaming lead guitars emitting doomsday warnings; pumped up percussion; instruments (and minds) being demolished on stage.
There is no subtlety in Heavy Metal; it's the hardest of hard rock with electric shock treatments and vibrating air churning right before your eyes...

The heaviest and best of 1977. CHOOSE!

AC/DC - Let There Be Rock
Aerosmith - Draw the Line
Alice Cooper - Lace and Whiskey
Blue Öyster Cult - Spectres
KISS - Love Gun
KISS - Alive II
Motörhead - Motörhead
Nazareth - Expect No Mercy
Scorpions - Taken by Force
Ted Nugent - Cat Scratch Fever
Queen - News of the World
Rush - A Farewell to Kings
Rainbow - On Stage
Sweet - Off the Record
Thin Lizzy - Bad Reputation
UFO - Lights Out

PostSubject: Re: 1977! Does it get any better than this...   1977! Does it get any better than this... Icon_minitimeTue Dec 28, 2010 12:36 pm

Draw the Line. The rest of you don't need to vote.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: 1977! Does it get any better than this...   1977! Does it get any better than this... Icon_minitimeTue Dec 28, 2010 12:36 pm

Tough choice for me in this year. Some of my all time favorite albums are in this list. In the end, I went with The Scorpions - Taken By Force as it embodies heavy metal, especially for 1977.

However, I could easily have chosen Sin After Sin, one of the most underrated Judas Priest albums, UFO - Lights Out, an album that should have made the worldwide superstars or the quirky, drug-addled "Draw the Line" by Aerosmith. Thin Lizzy's Bad Reputation ranks among my favorites, as well as Rush - A Farewell to Kings.

1977. A great year for hard rock and heavy metal for sure. 1977! Does it get any better than this... 604261

PostSubject: Re: 1977! Does it get any better than this...   1977! Does it get any better than this... Icon_minitimeTue Dec 28, 2010 12:39 pm

It was. Many of those albums are what I was finding as I discovered metal.
Back to top Go down
iamrockerfun
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
iamrockerfun

Number of posts : 2003

PostSubject: Re: 1977! Does it get any better than this...   1977! Does it get any better than this... Icon_minitimeTue Dec 28, 2010 12:41 pm

i'm talking bout my LOVE GUN !
Back to top Go down
http://bootlegnightmare.euweb.cz/
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: 1977! Does it get any better than this...   1977! Does it get any better than this... Icon_minitimeTue Dec 28, 2010 12:47 pm

TheNazgul wrote:

Same here. It was about this time that I started calling myself a fan of heavy metal. My school friends were into the Jackson 5, Bay City Rollers, Bee Gees, Shaun Cassidy, etc. I was loving "Draw the Line", "Foghat Live", "Bad Reputation", "Alive II" etc. The odd thing about that is that I was in grade school at the time. My passion for hard rock and heavy metal was partially fueled by a teenager that lived down the street from me that I thought was cool. He jammed all this heavy stuff and turned me onto all these great albums and bands. On top of all the heavy stuff, I also found Floyd, Genesis, Nektar, and all the prog rock stuff from that era.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: 1977! Does it get any better than this...   1977! Does it get any better than this... Icon_minitimeTue Dec 28, 2010 12:49 pm

There are all great choices, and also amazing to me that in the year punk broke big (Sex Pistols Never Mind, still one of my favorite albums of all time) that metal was thriving and growing, unlike what the press of that day was reporting.

My choice was easy, 'Let There Be Rock' , featuring the legendary Bon Scott and crew taking no prisoners and giving no quarter to the punk rockers.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: 1977! Does it get any better than this...   1977! Does it get any better than this... Icon_minitimeTue Dec 28, 2010 12:57 pm

manny wrote:

My choice was easy, 'Let There Be Rock'

Ditto. Still a sentimental favorite to this very day as it was the very first rock album (tape) that I owned

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

PostSubject: Re: 1977! Does it get any better than this...   1977! Does it get any better than this... Icon_minitimeTue Dec 28, 2010 1:03 pm

That's an amazing slew of albums. Whilst it may not be the heaviest, I picked Cat Scratch Fever as I love that album to death.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

PostSubject: Re: 1977! Does it get any better than this...   1977! Does it get any better than this... Icon_minitimeTue Dec 28, 2010 1:17 pm

I voted for Judas Priest!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: 1977! Does it get any better than this...   1977! Does it get any better than this... Icon_minitimeTue Dec 28, 2010 1:33 pm

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mr.electric39

Number of posts : 1828

PostSubject: Re: 1977! Does it get any better than this...   1977! Does it get any better than this... Icon_minitimeTue Dec 28, 2010 1:45 pm

Let There be Rock ...... Yes it beats out A Farewell to Kings....... But Let There Be Rock is a balls to the wall GUITAR DRIVEN MONSTER.....

Awesome album cause Light....... Sound....... Guitar...... Drums.........

LET THERE BE RAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWKKKKKKKKKKKKK !!!!!!

Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.whitethronereviews.blogspot.com
Red Kitty
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Red Kitty

Number of posts : 1006

PostSubject: Re: 1977! Does it get any better than this...   1977! Does it get any better than this... Icon_minitimeTue Dec 28, 2010 1:49 pm

All awesome, but I'm going with Lights Out!
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: 1977! Does it get any better than this...   1977! Does it get any better than this... Icon_minitimeTue Dec 28, 2010 4:12 pm

Being the huge KISS fan I am, had to go with Love Gun. Some GREAT metal on that list!!!!!
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: 1977! Does it get any better than this...   1977! Does it get any better than this... Icon_minitimeTue Dec 28, 2010 4:14 pm

Another great year and again I go with BOC. Spectres is my favorite BOC album after Imaginos.

Next for me would be Taken By Force, my favorite Scorpions album.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

PostSubject: Re: 1977! Does it get any better than this...   1977! Does it get any better than this... Icon_minitimeTue Dec 28, 2010 4:28 pm

ultmetal wrote:
TheNazgul wrote:

Same here. It was about this time that I started calling myself a fan of heavy metal. My school friends were into the Jackson 5, Bay City Rollers, Bee Gees, Shaun Cassidy, etc. I was loving "Draw the Line", "Foghat Live", "Bad Reputation", "Alive II" etc. The odd thing about that is that I was in grade school at the time. My passion for hard rock and heavy metal was partially fueled by a teenager that lived down the street from me that I thought was cool. He jammed all this heavy stuff and turned me onto all these great albums and bands. On top of all the heavy stuff, I also found Floyd, Genesis, Nektar, and all the prog rock stuff from that era.

Your story is kinda close to mine. Instead of a teenager living down the street. He lived right across the street. From hanging out over there with his younger brother I was turned onto KISS,Nugent,Aerosmith, Queen , Thin Lizzy and alot of other great music.

My vote went for Love Gun. One of the first albums if not the first I bought with my own money.
Back to top Go down
bassman
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
bassman

Number of posts : 1939

PostSubject: Re: 1977! Does it get any better than this...   1977! Does it get any better than this... Icon_minitimeTue Dec 28, 2010 4:35 pm

UFO- Lights Out

These guys should have taken over the world based on this material. I don't understand why they kind of stayed under the radar. They are a huge influence on lots of musicians but never got that mainstream recognition.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: 1977! Does it get any better than this...   1977! Does it get any better than this... Icon_minitimeTue Dec 28, 2010 4:36 pm

Let There Be rock but what a year!

JBall_Z
Metal master
Metal master
JBall_Z

Number of posts : 919

PostSubject: Re: 1977! Does it get any better than this...   1977! Does it get any better than this... Icon_minitimeTue Dec 28, 2010 4:37 pm

Again, I had to go with what I truly loved in '77. Unfortunately, to be honest, Priest and the Scorpions were still unknown to me then, and so was AC/DC. I didn't discover AC/DC until "If You Want Blood..." So I picked Love Gun. It could have easily been Alive II. I also loved Cat Scratch Fever and News To The World in '77. To me, Aerosmith - Draw The Line was a little disappointing after Rocks, but I truly loved the song Kings and Queens.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: 1977! Does it get any better than this...   1977! Does it get any better than this... Icon_minitimeTue Dec 28, 2010 4:48 pm

bassman wrote:
UFO- Lights Out

These guys should have taken over the world based on this material. I don't understand why they kind of stayed under the radar. They are a huge influence on lots of musicians but never got that mainstream recognition.

I was not into rock music, let alone metal in 1977, but I assumed that three of their albums, 'Lights Out', 'Obsession' and 'Strangers in the Night' where all successful albums, maybe the lost their footing in the States due to Schenker's shenanigans during his last 18 months in the band, disappearing, etc
Back to top Go down
bassman
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
bassman

Number of posts : 1939

PostSubject: Re: 1977! Does it get any better than this...   1977! Does it get any better than this... Icon_minitimeTue Dec 28, 2010 4:59 pm

manny wrote:
bassman wrote:
UFO- Lights Out

I was not into rock music, let alone metal in 1977, but I assumed that three of their albums, 'Lights Out', 'Obsession' and 'Strangers in the Night' where all successful albums, maybe the lost their footing in the States due to Schenker's shenanigans during his last 18 months in the band, disappearing, etc

I didn't mean to suggest they were not successful, just that they did not achieve the level of super-stardom that others on the list reached.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: 1977! Does it get any better than this...   1977! Does it get any better than this... Icon_minitimeTue Dec 28, 2010 5:07 pm

bassman wrote:
manny wrote:
bassman wrote:
UFO- Lights Out

I didn't mean to suggest they were not successful, just that they did not achieve the level of super-stardom that others on the list reached.

I have to agree with you because released IMO great quality albums after Schenker left and yet they never managed break thru, a huge mystery to me also.
Back to top Go down
adrian
Metal master
Metal master
adrian

Number of posts : 994

PostSubject: Re: 1977! Does it get any better than this...   1977! Does it get any better than this... Icon_minitimeTue Dec 28, 2010 5:56 pm

I went with Sin After Sin, though Taken by Force takes a close second.
Back to top Go down
Ben Grimm
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Ben Grimm

Number of posts : 450

PostSubject: Re: 1977! Does it get any better than this...   1977! Does it get any better than this... Icon_minitimeTue Dec 28, 2010 6:21 pm

I went with BOC, they are one of my favorite metal bands from the 70's.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/inedibleben
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: 1977! Does it get any better than this...   1977! Does it get any better than this... Icon_minitimeTue Dec 28, 2010 6:33 pm

i've made my love for Sin After Sin quite clear on many occasions. greatest album ever made by anyone imo. that album is heavy on so many levels.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 1977! Does it get any better than this...   1977! Does it get any better than this... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

1977! Does it get any better than this...
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next