Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

FURR (1977)

Go down 
+2
Lari
Fat Freddy
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

FURR (1977) Empty
PostSubject: FURR (1977)   FURR (1977) Icon_minitimeWed May 10, 2017 11:30 am

FURR (1977) %2524T2eC16J%252C%2521%2529YFIbyT9VFlBSZzNUY%2528rg%257E%257E60_57

You wanted the best, you got what was left! The most generic band in the world...FURR! tr00

Anybody heard of/own this 1977 album by a long forgotten band who were obviously hoping to ride on KISS' coat tails?

I first "discovered" this band via the Bizarre Records web site, a gallery of weird/ugly/WTF album covers, several years ago. That site only offered a quick 30 second sound clip of one song - "Let's Get Funky" - and it was so hilariously schlocky that I had to hear more. Especially when the lone review of this album on Rate Your Music sez it's "Like KISS, but with way more suck." Laughing very hard

There's not much info about this band out there on the web.  Apparently FURR was the brain child of Jerry Kasenetz and Jeffery Katz, a pair of bubblegum pop producers who'd had success with 1910 Fruitgum Company ("Indian Giver") and Ohio Express. I'm assuming that FURR was either a manufactured act made up of studio players who didn't tour, or some local-yokel band who were just happy to be able to make a record.

Lo and behold, just when I'd almost forgotten about it, some kind soul posted the full FURR album to YouTube - and it's just as gloriously cheesy as I'd anticipated.

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you FURR!

Track List:
Sorcery
Sister Honky Tonk
Get Up And Dance
River Queen
I'm A Mover
Love Me The Way I Am
Let's Get Funky
Wow Yeah
You I
Goin' Down The Road

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat

Last edited by Fat Freddy on Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:23 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

FURR (1977) Empty
PostSubject: Re: FURR (1977)   FURR (1977) Icon_minitimeWed May 10, 2017 11:54 am

I kind of want to hear a song called "You I". I'll try later.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40553

FURR (1977) Empty
PostSubject: Re: FURR (1977)   FURR (1977) Icon_minitimeWed May 10, 2017 12:31 pm

I just did some quick skipping through that video and I gotta say, very funky music, man!
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

FURR (1977) Empty
PostSubject: Re: FURR (1977)   FURR (1977) Icon_minitimeFri May 12, 2017 10:25 pm

I listened to the whole album, it wasn't bad at all. A couple of observations.

1. No way in hell was this album produced by the kids on the cover.

2. I'm thinking that the record company didn't want this album to sell at all hence the cover. My guess is that they thought that the band weren't good enough to have a hit record so they sabotaged it and used it as a tax write off.

3. I actually really liked the last track Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

FURR (1977) Empty
PostSubject: Re: FURR (1977)   FURR (1977) Icon_minitimeSat May 13, 2017 6:53 pm

Yeah, it's actually better than I expected based on that 30 second clip of "Let's Get Funky" that was all I had to go on for years. Very Happy

Still cheese, but at least it's GOOD cheese. Very Happy

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

FURR (1977) Empty
PostSubject: Re: FURR (1977)   FURR (1977) Icon_minitimeMon May 15, 2017 10:59 am

You know, that wasn't half bad. Reminds me of some of the "retro" bands I listen to now. Blood of the Sun comes to mind. They should get the rights and re-record this album. Razz

The 3rd song 'Get Up and Dance' sorta sounds like a Peter Criss outtake. And I'm inclined to agree with Boris's theory. Despite the obvious popularity of KISS at the time, why they went in that direction for the cover and look when the overall sound is nothing like KISS is baffling.

Let's get funky indeed.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

FURR (1977) Empty
PostSubject: Re: FURR (1977)   FURR (1977) Icon_minitimeThu Sep 14, 2017 4:22 pm

Since I first posted this thread, the full-album video has been pulled from YouTube (figures). So I've replaced that clip with the only two single-track clips I could find, "Wow Yeah" and "Goin' Down the Road"

Back to top Go down
mikeinfla
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

Number of posts : 2477

FURR (1977) Empty
PostSubject: Re: FURR (1977)   FURR (1977) Icon_minitimeFri Sep 15, 2017 6:33 am

Are there any actual pictures of the band? All I can find are those album cover pics. Would be cool to see a live video too.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

FURR (1977) Empty
PostSubject: Re: FURR (1977)   FURR (1977) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

FURR (1977)
Page 1 of 1