Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

NLTM updated for Dec

Go down 
+15
Alex Dee Rokket
mc666
Tur-Thalion
kmorg
Chairman_Smith
Gilbert
troublemagnet
Eyesore
nevermore
MetalGuy71
Sinistar
Temple of Blood
Required Fields
Metal Misfit
ultmetal
19 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

NLTM updated for Dec - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: NLTM updated for Dec   NLTM updated for Dec - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 29, 2010 11:47 pm

ultmetal wrote:
TheNazgul wrote:
Surprised you like that Night Ranger at all, I feel they totally dialed it in. Thanks for the updates.

Like I said, at least it's not completely overplayed on the radio like the others and has some elements of their sound. Certainly not their best, but not terrible either (that is, if you like that Night Ranger style).

The first 4 tracks on Big Life are some of NR's best stuff...
Back to top Go down
Alex Dee Rokket
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Alex Dee Rokket

Number of posts : 1095

PostSubject: Re: NLTM updated for Dec   NLTM updated for Dec - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 29, 2010 11:59 pm

rawr! wrote:
i wouldnt say dimmu borgir isnt black metal (in the way you could say cradle of filth is no longer black metal), but they wouldnt be a good introductory band in my opinion. and not because i think they suck, but because i dont think they are representative of what black metal generally sounds like. the same goes for satyricon, insofar as the majority of their career is concerned. i could see you recommending later satyricon to him for the blacknroll deal in the hopes that it would be more appealing, but they wouldnt be my top choice for that subgenre by far, either, as what ive heard from that phase doesnt display a lot of talent in the rock area OR the black metal area. if hes just checking out favorites then by all means, though.

What would you recommend him?

I think the most representative black metal band, or at least most influential to the Norwegian wave, is Bathory. The album I would recommend by Bathory is Blood Fire Death.

Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: NLTM updated for Dec   NLTM updated for Dec - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 30, 2010 8:46 am

Tur-Thalion wrote:
I was just reading through your Megadeth page and noticed:

KIMB (original) review, typo on "aggressive"

KIMB (remaster) review, typo on "novelty"

RIP review, typo on "masterpiece"

Also I'm curious, you mention that "502" is an anti-drinking and driving song. When I read the lyrics, I don't get that impression...Honestly to me it seems more or less pro-drinking and driving.

Thanks. I'm in the process of updating the Megadeth page actually, so your timing is perfect. Reading the MUSTAINE book prompted me to make some updates to that page.

Yes, I always thought that song didn't sound like an anti-DWI song either. That the reason I added the (?!?!) after the statement. I actually had read an old magazine interview with Dave in which he claimed the song was anti-DWI, so who am I to argue.

Razz

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3906

PostSubject: Re: NLTM updated for Dec   NLTM updated for Dec - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 30, 2010 8:55 am

Reading your Immortal review, the word "tended" is not a word. The correct word would still be "tend".
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: NLTM updated for Dec   NLTM updated for Dec - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 30, 2010 9:00 am

Lurideath wrote:
Reading your Immortal review, the word "tended" is not a word. The correct word would still be "tend".

It's a word...but it may have been used in the wrong context.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: NLTM updated for Dec   NLTM updated for Dec - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 30, 2010 9:04 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Lurideath wrote:

It's a word...but it may have been used in the wrong context.

Yeah, "tended to run together" is the wrong context. "Tended" is the past tense of "tend" when "tend" is defined as "paying attention to"...like "yesterday I tended my garden"...
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: NLTM updated for Dec   NLTM updated for Dec - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 30, 2010 9:19 am

rawr! wrote:
i wouldnt say dimmu borgir isnt black metal (in the way you could say cradle of filth is no longer black metal), but they wouldnt be a good introductory band in my opinion. and not because i think they suck, but because i dont think they are representative of what black metal generally sounds like. the same goes for satyricon, insofar as the majority of their career is concerned. i could see you recommending later satyricon to him for the blacknroll deal in the hopes that it would be more appealing, but they wouldnt be my top choice for that subgenre by far, either, as what ive heard from that phase doesnt display a lot of talent in the rock area OR the black metal area. if hes just checking out favorites then by all means, though.

If you've read much on his website, you'd know that he's tried many bm bands in the past, but couldn't get much into the genre at all. But since he kinda liked Immortal, I would say that Dimmu Borgir and latter day Satyricon are perfect suggestions for further "investigstion" in the genre. The more typical bands can then be added when/if he goes backwards throught these bands discography, and want to hear more of the same. After all, both early Dimmu Borgir, and especially early Satyricon, are very good examples of true Norwegian BM.

That said though, I don't think Scott will ever become a fan of the genre, and I know he's tried plenty of it.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3906

PostSubject: Re: NLTM updated for Dec   NLTM updated for Dec - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 30, 2010 10:00 am

Yeah I don't see Scott liking much black metal either. I'd say he'd like another album by Immortal being "Sons of Northern Darkness" because of the amount of thrash they put in that album and because its quite different from their prior stuff.
Back to top Go down
rawr!
Metal graduate
Metal graduate

Number of posts : 372

PostSubject: Re: NLTM updated for Dec   NLTM updated for Dec - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 30, 2010 2:10 pm

i think id just go so far as recommending blackened thrash bands that have more than just black metal (/resembling) vocals. or a black/death/thrash sorta mix like deströyer 666, though that might transgress in ways similar to all shall fall, or second wave fare in general.
Back to top Go down
Tur-Thalion
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Tur-Thalion

Number of posts : 350

PostSubject: Re: NLTM updated for Dec   NLTM updated for Dec - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 30, 2010 6:35 pm

ultmetal wrote:
Tur-Thalion wrote:
I was just reading through your Megadeth page and noticed:

KIMB (original) review, typo on "aggressive"

KIMB (remaster) review, typo on "novelty"

RIP review, typo on "masterpiece"

Also I'm curious, you mention that "502" is an anti-drinking and driving song. When I read the lyrics, I don't get that impression...Honestly to me it seems more or less pro-drinking and driving.

Thanks. I'm in the process of updating the Megadeth page actually, so your timing is perfect. Reading the MUSTAINE book prompted me to make some updates to that page.

Yes, I always thought that song didn't sound like an anti-DWI song either. That the reason I added the (?!?!) after the statement. I actually had read an old magazine interview with Dave in which he claimed the song was anti-DWI, so who am I to argue.

Razz

You know, I actually thought that maybe you just put that note in there because he might have claimed it in an interview. haha. Seems like a convenient point for him to push back then. I wonder if he still would make that claim today. I'll read through the lyrics a couple more times and see if I can find Dave's claim. Still seems to me that it is more along the lines of "I'm bored, driving is awesome, so is drinking, so I'm going to combine them"
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: NLTM updated for Dec   NLTM updated for Dec - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 30, 2010 7:33 pm

Alex Dee Rokket wrote:
rawr! wrote:

I think the most representative black metal band, or at least most influential to the Norwegian wave, is Bathory. The album I would recommend by Bathory is Blood Fire Death.

personally i wouldn't recommend him anything. clearly he's not going to "get" black metal. no big deal.

if i were going to recommend a Bathory album though, it would be Under the Sign of the Black Mark. more true to the original black metal spirit, without the viking aspect.

Joe
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Joe

Number of posts : 1862

PostSubject: Re: NLTM updated for Dec   NLTM updated for Dec - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 30, 2010 7:50 pm

mc666 wrote:
Alex Dee Rokket wrote:
rawr! wrote:

personally i wouldn't recommend him anything. clearly he's not going to "get" black metal. no big deal.

if i were going to recommend a Bathory album though, it would be Under the Sign of the Black Mark. more true to the original black metal spirit, without the viking aspect.

That or the self-titled. Excellent early bm albums!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: NLTM updated for Dec   NLTM updated for Dec - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

NLTM updated for Dec
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2