Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Prog music, some good stuff, any suggestions?

Go down 
+16
Tur-Thalion
DeathCult
Sinistar
DallasBlack
EvyMetal
chewie
MetalGuy71
snooloui
QuothTheRaven
James B.
exact33
bassman
thejokeriv
tohostudios
Shawn Of Fire
mez
20 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
Tur-Thalion
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Tur-Thalion

Number of posts : 350

Prog music, some good stuff, any suggestions? - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Prog music, some good stuff, any suggestions?   Prog music, some good stuff, any suggestions? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 18, 2011 3:12 pm

It's been a while since I have listened to King Crimson and I have 21st Century Schizoid Man playing right now. I just have to say, King Crimson totally rules. It's a shame I only have 5 of their albums. Need to pick up the rest of the back catalog.

Is anyone familiar with their early 80s material? Discipline, Beat, and 3 of a Perfect Pair?
Back to top Go down
Sinistar
Metal student
Metal student
Sinistar

Number of posts : 141

PostSubject: Re: Prog music, some good stuff, any suggestions?   Prog music, some good stuff, any suggestions? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 27, 2011 7:59 pm

Tur-Thalion wrote:
It's been a while since I have listened to King Crimson and I have 21st Century Schizoid Man playing right now. I just have to say, King Crimson totally rules. It's a shame I only have 5 of their albums. Need to pick up the rest of the back catalog.

Is anyone familiar with their early 80s material? Discipline, Beat, and 3 of a Perfect Pair?

Saw them on the "3 of a Perfect Pair" tour.

Anyway, Discipline is the best of that trio. Never got into Beat. Liked 3/Pair at the time.

In my opinion, all those are optional.

If you have

In the Court of the Crimson King
Starless and Bible Black
Larks Tongues in Aspic
Red

you have the best stuff.

Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: Prog music, some good stuff, any suggestions?   Prog music, some good stuff, any suggestions? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 27, 2011 8:50 pm

Sinistar wrote:
Tur-Thalion wrote:

Saw them on the "3 of a Perfect Pair" tour.

Anyway, Discipline is the best of that trio. Never got into Beat. Liked 3/Pair at the time.

I would have to agree with that opinion.
Back to top Go down
Tur-Thalion
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Tur-Thalion

Number of posts : 350

PostSubject: Re: Prog music, some good stuff, any suggestions?   Prog music, some good stuff, any suggestions? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 29, 2011 9:50 pm

Well apparently I have all their best stuff then. Smile But I still feel the need to pick up their other albums at some point.
Back to top Go down
Sinistar
Metal student
Metal student
Sinistar

Number of posts : 141

PostSubject: Re: Prog music, some good stuff, any suggestions?   Prog music, some good stuff, any suggestions? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 31, 2011 8:41 am

A buddy of mine likes Islands. There's some good songs on all their records, but for consistancy, you have the best.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Prog music, some good stuff, any suggestions?   Prog music, some good stuff, any suggestions? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 31, 2011 10:53 am

In The Wake Of Poseidon goes together like a sister album to Court, it should be attained.

Islands is my favorite album from their early years.

Lizard is one of the most adventurous prog/fusion albums ever.

I actually prefer Beat to Discipline, they are both worth owning.

THRAK & The Power To Believe are both very solid albums of the more recent variety.

...but I've said it before, Crimson was VERY improvisational, so you really need to listen to live recordings to hear them completely in their element.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Prog music, some good stuff, any suggestions?   Prog music, some good stuff, any suggestions? - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Prog music, some good stuff, any suggestions?
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4