Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Prog music, some good stuff, any suggestions?

Go down 
+16
Tur-Thalion
DeathCult
Sinistar
DallasBlack
EvyMetal
chewie
MetalGuy71
snooloui
QuothTheRaven
James B.
exact33
bassman
thejokeriv
tohostudios
Shawn Of Fire
mez
20 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
holydiver97595
The Prophet of Dio
holydiver97595

Number of posts : 1348

Prog music, some good stuff, any suggestions? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Prog music, some good stuff, any suggestions?   Prog music, some good stuff, any suggestions? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 31, 2010 2:44 am

You might enjoy some Ayreon, and if you liked Deadsoul Tribe, you could check out Devon Graves' earlier band Psychotic Waltz. Just a couple suggestions Very Happy
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/demonousmetal
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Prog music, some good stuff, any suggestions?   Prog music, some good stuff, any suggestions? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 03, 2011 10:36 am

holydiver97595 wrote:
You might enjoy some Ayreon, and if you liked Deadsoul Tribe, you could check out Devon Graves' earlier band Psychotic Waltz. Just a couple suggestions Very Happy

I've checked them out on YouTube and like what I hear, but Psychotic Waltz cd's are too pricey for me. And thanks to whomever recommended Riverside. Good schtuff.

PostSubject: Re: Prog music, some good stuff, any suggestions?   Prog music, some good stuff, any suggestions? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 03, 2011 12:16 pm

Yeah, Riverside is great, very accessible.
Back to top Go down
TheDoctor'sScarf
Metal graduate
Metal graduate

Number of posts : 492

PostSubject: Re: Prog music, some good stuff, any suggestions?   Prog music, some good stuff, any suggestions? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 03, 2011 4:06 pm

You should look into Van der Graaf Generator's H to He Who Am the Only One for pure cerebral trippiness.

Last edited by GrimBeornTheOld on Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Tur-Thalion
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Tur-Thalion

Number of posts : 350

PostSubject: Re: Prog music, some good stuff, any suggestions?   Prog music, some good stuff, any suggestions? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 03, 2011 4:34 pm

I checked out a few Riverside samples and really liked what I heard. I'll put them in the list of albums to pick up soon.

Grimbeorn, thanks for mentioning Van der Graaf Generator. I really need to check them out. They have some of the highest rated albums at progarchives.com.
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: Prog music, some good stuff, any suggestions?   Prog music, some good stuff, any suggestions? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 03, 2011 11:00 pm

Tur-Thalion wrote:
I checked out a few Riverside samples and really liked what I heard. I'll put them in the list of albums to pick up soon.

Grimbeorn, thanks for mentioning Van der Graaf Generator. I really need to check them out. They have some of the highest rated albums at progarchives.com.

VDGG is very good! Killer is one of my favorite songs with a very memorable riff.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Prog music, some good stuff, any suggestions?   Prog music, some good stuff, any suggestions? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 04, 2011 6:50 am

This thread has inspired me to listen to some good prog albums I haven't listened to in a while which allows me to strongly suggest these albums:

Magellan-Impending Ascention
Cairo-Conflict & Dreams
Pallas-The Dreams Of Man

Also check out:

Arena-Contagion (one of my all time favorite prog albums and one I don't believe I mentioned here yet)
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Prog music, some good stuff, any suggestions?   Prog music, some good stuff, any suggestions? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 04, 2011 11:31 am

Tur-Thalion wrote:

Same here. Most of their stuff is pricey imports though, so I don't know that I'll be getting any soon. The bass player/lead singer has a side-project called Lunatic Soul that sounds kinda interesting too.

PostSubject: Re: Prog music, some good stuff, any suggestions?   Prog music, some good stuff, any suggestions? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 04, 2011 4:36 pm

Has anyone mentioned Katatonia? I see them mentioned with Riverside and i'm curious?
Back to top Go down
Tur-Thalion
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Tur-Thalion

PostSubject: Re: Prog music, some good stuff, any suggestions?   Prog music, some good stuff, any suggestions? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 04, 2011 7:49 pm

I heard Katatonia for the first time a few weeks ago. A friend of mine who loves Opeth said that he listens to Katatonia just as much.

But I kind of gather that not all of Katatonia's catalogue is prog-oriented, and I'm not sure at what point their style underwent a transition
Back to top Go down
mez
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
mez

Number of posts : 375

PostSubject: Re: Prog music, some good stuff, any suggestions?   Prog music, some good stuff, any suggestions? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 05, 2011 7:07 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Tur-Thalion wrote:

Same here. Most of their stuff is pricey imports though, so I don't know that I'll be getting any soon. The bass player/lead singer has a side-project called Lunatic Soul that sounds kinda interesting too.

I checked out the prices on Amazon, and they seem to be your average 16$ price range if you dont get the Import ones, just incase you didnt check out that site. Also Lunatic Soul is great but doesnt really have the electric guitar in it. It is more acoustic and very mellow the whole time, but if you find your liking the Riverside stuff, then Lunatic Soul is a nice addition.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Prog music, some good stuff, any suggestions?   Prog music, some good stuff, any suggestions? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 06, 2011 10:22 am

mez wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
Tur-Thalion wrote:

I checked out the prices on Amazon, and they seem to be your average 16$ price range if you dont get the Import ones, just incase you didnt check out that site. Also Lunatic Soul is great but doesnt really have the electric guitar in it. It is more acoustic and very mellow the whole time, but if you find your liking the Riverside stuff, then Lunatic Soul is a nice addition.

Yea, I looked on Amazon. The prices aren't outrageous or anything, but for my cheap-ass, $16 bucks (+shipping) is too much for my budget, especially for an "unknown" band such as Riverside. The clips sound cool, but if it turns out the whole album doesn't click with me, I'd be pissed that I dropped $19 on it.

Same deal with the Lunatic Soul stuff. I read that there is no guitar on it and that's fine. I liked the mellowness of it, but it's definatley "mood" music and I'm not buying a cd for $19 for occasional listening.

I'm trying to be more selective with my purchases these days. Stupid, grown-up responsibilities are putting a damper on my music collecting!!

PostSubject: Re: Prog music, some good stuff, any suggestions?   Prog music, some good stuff, any suggestions? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 06, 2011 12:14 pm

Quote :
I'm trying to be more selective with my purchases these days. Stupid, grown-up responsibilities are putting a damper on my music collecting!!

Yeah, sucks.
Back to top Go down
Tur-Thalion
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Tur-Thalion

PostSubject: Re: Prog music, some good stuff, any suggestions?   Prog music, some good stuff, any suggestions? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 06, 2011 12:37 pm

I only picked up a handful of cds in 2010 due to this principle. Lately though, I'm trying to scrounge Amazon for cds under 2 dollars and have found a decent number. But sadly, the prog I want does not fall under that category!

Last edited by Tur-Thalion on Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Prog music, some good stuff, any suggestions?   Prog music, some good stuff, any suggestions? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 06, 2011 12:41 pm

Why does Prog always seem to be on the higher end cost wise?

As for Katatonia, i've been listening to samples and their's more Goth in ther then I really like.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Prog music, some good stuff, any suggestions?   Prog music, some good stuff, any suggestions? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 06, 2011 2:14 pm

TheNazgul wrote:
Why does Prog always seem to be on the higher end cost wise?

As for Katatonia, i've been listening to samples and their's more Goth in ther then I really like.

My guess is that it's a smaller demographic, less demand and therefore less product out there. And prog-snobs will pay a higher price for such "superior musicianship". Laughing

Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Prog music, some good stuff, any suggestions?   Prog music, some good stuff, any suggestions? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 06, 2011 2:19 pm

Tur-Thalion wrote:
I heard Katatonia for the first time a few weeks ago. A friend of mine who loves Opeth said that he listens to Katatonia just as much.

But I kind of gather that not all of Katatonia's catalogue is prog-oriented, and I'm not sure at what point their style underwent a transition

I would not call Katatonia very Prog oriented in the traditional sense...but I can see how fans of, say, Porcupine Tree and Opeth would fall in love with Katatonia. They're actually one of my favorite bands...
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Prog music, some good stuff, any suggestions?   Prog music, some good stuff, any suggestions? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2011 6:16 pm

Check out:

Nightingale-Alive Again: The Breathing Shadow Part IV

Straight-forward rock with traces of prog similar to Riverside. That's ironic because while I said Riverside sounds like the slower parts of Opeth, the man behind Nightingale's death metal band Edge Of Sanity had a lot in common with Opeth (but they came out before Opeth).
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Prog music, some good stuff, any suggestions?   Prog music, some good stuff, any suggestions? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2011 7:17 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
Check out:

Nightingale-Alive Again: The Breathing Shadow Part IV

Straight-forward rock with traces of prog similar to Riverside. That's ironic because while I said Riverside sounds like the slower parts of Opeth, the man behind Nightingale's death metal band Edge Of Sanity had a lot in common with Opeth (but they came out before Opeth).
Nightingale is definitely more rock than prog, but they're amazing.

If you're interested in heavier stuff, check out Dan Swano's lone solo album, Moontower.

Death prog? It's brilliant, whatever you call it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Prog music, some good stuff, any suggestions?   Prog music, some good stuff, any suggestions? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2011 7:40 pm

TheNazgul wrote:

Yeah, that was my reaction as well. I "want" to like them, but it's not really happening.

Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Prog music, some good stuff, any suggestions?   Prog music, some good stuff, any suggestions? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 13, 2011 10:47 am

Anyone ever heard of a band called Fen? I was reading an old copy of Classic Rock magazine on the hopper the other night and saw a review for their album Trails Out of Gloom. Sounded kinda cool. Mellow, but cool prog-rock. Check out clips on Amazon...

http://www.amazon.com/Trails-Out-Gloom-Fen/dp/B003XNKCJA/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=I39VDZBHMIUOLH&colid=1YY4NLP7T11YP

Opinions?

PostSubject: Re: Prog music, some good stuff, any suggestions?   Prog music, some good stuff, any suggestions? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 13, 2011 6:27 pm

I have to be in just the right mood for that mellow and it only happens like once a year.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Prog music, some good stuff, any suggestions?   Prog music, some good stuff, any suggestions? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 13, 2011 11:48 pm

TheNazgul wrote:
I have to be in just the right mood for that mellow and it only happens like once a year.

Maybe it's the noisy kids and I'm certainly getting older, but I find myself enjoying this mellower stuff more than I ever thought possible. There's still a time and place for me to rage like a mental patient with my beloved thrash, but this mellow prog-rock stuff is itching a certain scratch.

PostSubject: Re: Prog music, some good stuff, any suggestions?   Prog music, some good stuff, any suggestions? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 14, 2011 12:27 am

Mellow is good. I've been listening to the early Electric Light Orchestra albums over the past few days. Nice, melodic, beatles-inspired prog with a dry sense of humor. Plus Lynne had a ton of memorable hooks up his sleeve.

Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: Prog music, some good stuff, any suggestions?   Prog music, some good stuff, any suggestions? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 14, 2011 11:11 am

detuned wrote:
Mellow is good. I've been listening to the early Electric Light Orchestra albums over the past few days. Nice, melodic, beatles-inspired prog with a dry sense of humor. Plus Lynne had a ton of memorable hooks up his sleeve.

yep. I like ELO and his stuff with the Wilbury's.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Prog music, some good stuff, any suggestions?   Prog music, some good stuff, any suggestions? - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Prog music, some good stuff, any suggestions?
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next